What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So, Anyone with experience in reproofing parkas? Winter is Coming. (1 Viewer)

rogwadd

Footballguy
I've got a squall parka from Lands End maybe 5 years old, could be 10 or older.  Water no longer beads, but just soaks the shell.  I think REI sells some wash treatment, but looking for first hand experience.  Do labels specfically say Gore-Tex? Anyone deal with a like issue?  

Allison from Lands End chat thinks there are some sprays that might work, then apparently blew me off. 

When I was a kid in the '90s my mom bought several cans of gore-tex spray and we put it on EVERYTHING -- coats, hats, boots, backpacks, tents, basically anything that might see the slightest bit of moisture.

It worked fine for about a year and then it all washed off.

I have had good results re-treating my jackets with a wash-in DWR.  I believe NikWax is the product I used. 

Ahahahha, suckers!

Sincerely,

Someone Who Reluctantly Spent Two Miserable Winters In Minnesota and Now Is Back In California  :fro:

I have had good results re-treating my jackets with a wash-in DWR.  I believe NikWax is the product I used. 
Thanks, @Teddy Stickles for the reply.   The NikWax products were what I was looking into.  I washed the parka, but after a short time in the rain the damn thing would be soaked.  I had read that normal detergents don't react well with DWR and actually attract water.  Perhaps, if I ran a second rinse?

I washed the parka in the Tech Wash and ran a second rinse cycle, followed by a cycle with the Wash-In.  Dryer on warm setting and I think it turned out well.  I poured a couple cups of water over the sleeve and the water just rolled off.

I was looking at replacing the thing, but the current ones have changed quite a bit from previous versions.  Most  notably, no cuffs within the sleeves and fewer interior pockets.  I'm hoping I can get another season or two out of it.  I expect I will buy more of the Tech Wash for cleaning.

Thanks again!

Ahahahha, suckers!

Sincerely,

Someone Who Reluctantly Spent Two Miserable Winters In Minnesota and Now Is Back In California  :fro:
Preach!.  I grew up in the miltary and lived just about everywhere.  I went to college at UNL and had an uncle working for Nebraska Power give me a lineman's coat.  That thing was awesome!  I certainly don't miss the months of near zero temps plus wind chill.

Thanks, @Teddy Stickles for the reply.   The NikWax products were what I was looking into.  I washed the parka, but after a short time in the rain the damn thing would be soaked.  I had read that normal detergents don't react well with DWR and actually attract water.  Perhaps, if I ran a second rinse?

I washed the parka in the Tech Wash and ran a second rinse cycle, followed by a cycle with the Wash-In.  Dryer on warm setting and I think it turned out well.  I poured a couple cups of water over the sleeve and the water just rolled off.

I was looking at replacing the thing, but the current ones have changed quite a bit from previous versions.  Most  notably, no cuffs within the sleeves and fewer interior pockets.  I'm hoping I can get another season or two out of it.  I expect I will buy more of the Tech Wash for cleaning.

Thanks again!
Yup.  It took me awhile to go against my own common sense in thinking the jacket should be hung to dry. 

I hate putting my Gore products in the dryer, but with Nikwax and other DWR products, throwing them into the dryer on low heat actually is what bonds the waterproofing agent to the jacket. 

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread