What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So who is breaking out in 2010? (1 Viewer)

Alex Gordon - dude went from being one of the top prospects in all of baseball to injured and crappy
I think this is the year he falls out of the top 200 picks, and if that's the case I'm buying. Guys with his upside should not be available that late, if he flames out oh well, replace him with a similar talent that you would've drafted instead of him in the first place.
Yep, he very well may be had outside the top 200. I just got him with pick 275 in a 20 team startup dynasty draft where his youth holds even more value. Easily worth the risk.Some other guys...

Don't sleep on Lastings Milledge. Had a very sold year as a 23 year old, hurt his hand as a 24 year old, but his hand is reportedly healed and he reported to minicamp in noticeably better condition than he was last year. I'm not expecting stardom, but a very solid #3 outfielder with potential.

Jeff Clement could be a very solid find as a catcher this year if he qualifies. He's very likely going to be the regular first baseman for the Pirates, and at a minimum should put up good numbers for a catcher. Regular playing time should be 15-20 HRs and 60-75 RBIs.

Fangraphs has a few pretty good articles on the potential breakout of Felipe Paulino.

And personally, I like Daric Barton to move into the James Loney range of first basemen and he can be had for cheap. He's still only 25.

Soto should re-break out in 2010 and should be able to outperform his draft position assuming owners will wait too long based on 2009 numbers.

Is this where we all throw a name on the board and move on? I think we would all be better served if you substantiated the nomination with some reasoning.

Oh Yes! said:
chris ianetta. boom.
thisand EVERYONE talks about Brett Anderson and Billy Butler meaning you may have to overpay to get them..... :)
Young guys who had strong second half's will be the first for the rotoworld's and the ESPN's to pimp because they're easy, these guys won't be cheap come March.I've found in recent years the best value comes from guys coming off injury and post hype breakouts, names that immediately come to mind include Chris Carpenter, Aaron Hill, Carlos Quentin, and Rich Harden. Guys like Brandon Webb, Aramis Ramirez, Vlad, and Alex Gordon intrigue me more than guys like Anderson and Butler. I prefer potential breakout candidates that most are not talking about.

Oh Yes! said:
chris ianetta. boom.
thisand EVERYONE talks about Brett Anderson and Billy Butler meaning you may have to overpay to get them..... :thumbdown:
Young guys who had strong second half's will be the first for the rotoworld's and the ESPN's to pimp because they're easy, these guys won't be cheap come March.I've found in recent years the best value comes from guys coming off injury and post hype breakouts, names that immediately come to mind include Chris Carpenter, Aaron Hill, Carlos Quentin, and Rich Harden. Guys like Brandon Webb, Aramis Ramirez, Vlad, and Alex Gordon intrigue me more than guys like Anderson and Butler. I prefer potential breakout candidates that most are not talking about.
I agree with this. I'm trying to convince myself that Alex Gordon is a good pick in my keeper league, because he really fits that criteria. I know I'll be able to get him cheap. Problem with the other guys is that they have such great reputations that I am not sure they will fall far enough in a draft to justify the risk that might come with taking them.

What do you guys think of Matt LaPorta's breakout potential this year?

He is projected to be the Indians' regular first baseman this year. Although he had offseason surgery on his hip and toe, he was recently cleared to resume baseball activities and he says that he expects to be ready for the start of Spring Training.

He actually started to get kind of hot at the end of last season. Over the last three weeks of last season, LaPorta hit above .290 with an OBP of around .365 with 3 HRs. It seemed like things were starting to come together for him. It seems like he probably has good breakout potential, especially considering that it doesn't seem like his cost is all that high in redraft leagues.

What do you expect out of LaPorta this year? Is he still a year away from his true breakout? Do you consider him a must-keep option in dynasty leagues with 120 total keeper players?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think of Matt LaPorta's breakout potential this year?He is projected to be the Indians' regular first baseman this year. Although he had offseason surgery on his hip and toe, he was recently cleared to resume baseball activities and he says that he expects to be ready for the start of Spring Training.He actually started to get kind of hot at the end of last season. Over the last three weeks of last season, LaPorta hit above .290 with an OBP of around .365 with 3 HRs. It seemed like things were starting to come together for him. It seems like he probably has good breakout potential considering the cost that you'd have to pay in a redraft league.What do you expect out of LaPorta this year? Is he still a year away from his true breakout? Do you consider him a must-keep option in dynasty leagues with 120 total keeper players?
His position is really similar to Kendry Morales last season. Anytime a big time prospect with OF eligibility is slated to get starts at 1B, I'm going to jump all over them in as many drafts I can.ETA: Conor Jackson did not work out as well as Morales last season, but the odds are in your favor.

Carlos Gonzalez

Brett Wallace

Mike Taylor

Jason Heyward

Travis Snider

Alcides Escobar

Homer Bailey

Derek Holland

Jeremy Hellickson

Cameron Maybin??(doubt it)

Most if not all these guys are all super cheap to acquire, all have super high potential
I like Carlos Gonzalez's prospects a lot. It seems like a lot of people are high on him as a guy that could easily put up a 20 HR/20 SB season or better, despite possibly having to compete for playing time to some extent in a crowded Rockies' outfield. He hit .289 with 13 HRs and 16 SBs in only 278 at-bats last season after being called up. Here's one article that is especially high on him as a breakout candidate:
Carlos Gonzalez, Col, OF

Fantasy Baseball Search Breakout Rank: No. 4 of 30

You can probably tell that based on my third and fourth ranked sleepers that the Rockies will have a good offense this year. Carlos Gonzalez is part of that stellar young Rockies outfield.

He joins a core of young outfielders like Dexter Fowler and Seth Smith. Savvy veterans Brad Hawpe and Ryan Spilborghs make for a fast and powerful outfield.

Last year Gonzalez was blowing it up in AAA. The Rockies brought him up and he continued his hot streak in the majors. In limited at-bats (278), Gonzalez hit 13 home runs and stole 16 bases. He is a sneaky, fast, and powerful player.

His batting reminds me of Hanley Ramirez from the left side. He has the ability to hit to all points in the field and with authority. Gonzalez can be a streaky hitter, where he'll get hot for a while and cool down.

At 24, there are few players at that age who have more upside than Gonzalez. His lack of experience and consistently make him risky, but if he continues where he left off, Gonzalez will have an outstanding season.

He is easily a 20/20 candidate and that puts him high on my radar. Right now he's going around the 127th pick. That is in the same territory as Andrew Bailey, Vlad Guerrero, Jay Bruce, and Chad Billingsley. I think he is better then all of those players except Bailey. Draft him as early as the ninth round. He will be worth it.

The True Guru Projections: .280 BA, 23 Hrs, 67 RBI, 89 Runs, 29 SB
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/332858-...alez-of-rockies

Bumping this thread, and wanted to share this annual thread from another message board that is always very helpful.

Will be offering up my own breakout candidates in this thread soon, just now starting to dive into 2010.

saw some stuff on Bruce, problem i see is that he looks to be on nearly everyone's sleeper list. as such i dont think he will present the value he 'should' with a line like last year. i expect him to be valued a lot more on potential than production up to now. i expect he will actually be overvalued in a lot of leagues.

i am high on both nolasco and hanson for where i expect them to go.

Brian Wilson- Semi breakout last season but expect him to be one of the top closers in the game this season. His fastball is deadly and he picked up a lot of movement on that pich last year inducing lots of weak hit balls and lots of K's. I like that he's pitching for a team with a so so offense and lots of good pitching. This usually means plenty of low scoring games and plenty of save chances for Wilson.

Projection- 6-4 2.48 ERA 1.18 WHIP 85 K's 43 Saves

What do you guys think of Matt LaPorta's breakout potential this year?He is projected to be the Indians' regular first baseman this year. Although he had offseason surgery on his hip and toe, he was recently cleared to resume baseball activities and he says that he expects to be ready for the start of Spring Training.He actually started to get kind of hot at the end of last season. Over the last three weeks of last season, LaPorta hit above .290 with an OBP of around .365 with 3 HRs. It seemed like things were starting to come together for him. It seems like he probably has good breakout potential considering the cost that you'd have to pay in a redraft league.What do you expect out of LaPorta this year? Is he still a year away from his true breakout? Do you consider him a must-keep option in dynasty leagues with 120 total keeper players?
His position is really similar to Kendry Morales last season. Anytime a big time prospect with OF eligibility is slated to get starts at 1B, I'm going to jump all over them in as many drafts I can.ETA: Conor Jackson did not work out as well as Morales last season, but the odds are in your favor.
Is Branyon going to mess this up for us?

No, Branyan is there to a) serve as insurance for LaPorta's hip and 2) give Pronk his usual 3 days/week rest.

MAC_32 said:
cheese said:
No, Branyan is there to a) serve as insurance for LaPorta's hip and 2) give Pronk his usual 3 days/week rest.
If LaPorta can live up to the hitter he's supposed to be, Branyan is the last thing we'll have to worry about. If LaPorta is going to continue to struggle to try to hit .250, of course he is going to lose AB.With LaPorta its as much about pure talent as it is about opportunity. At this point in his young career, he is the only thing holding himself back.

Yunel Escobar
Really surprised to see how low he's going in mocks.
What does he offer that would cause him to be picked higher? What are your expectations for this year?
I think Escobar is a value pick because he can probably be gotten cheap and doesn't hurt you at a thin position. But other than the usual age 27 stuff, I don't see him as a huge breakout candidate. If he jumps to .320 w/ 20 HRs and 10 SBs, that's a nice increase but it won't win you a league.

Yunel Escobar
What does he offer that would cause him to be picked higher? What are your expectations for this year?
I think Escobar is a value pick because he can probably be gotten cheap and doesn't hurt you at a thin position. But other than the usual age 27 stuff, I don't see him as a huge breakout candidate. If he jumps to .320 w/ 20 HRs and 10 SBs, that's a nice increase but it won't win you a league.
Those would be very big jumps for him. He doesn't hurt you but I'd probably consider guys behind him in the rankings like Alcides Escobar or E Cabrera sooner because they have the potential to put up really good numbers in at least the SB's category. I'd probably put Yunel in the Theriot and Furcal tier of SS's. They won't hurt you all that much (when healthy) but they won't do much for you either.

Yunel Escobar
If he made that kind of jump and you drafted a solid team in front of him, its exactly the kind of thing that would win you a league.

Yunel Escobar
If he made that kind of jump and you drafted a solid team in front of him, its exactly the kind of thing that would win you a league.
Fair enough, but if that's his maximum upside (and it's a significant across the board jump from a career year in 2009) does it really qualify as a breakout year.

I prefer the version of Yunel Escobar you can get over 100 picks later, the Kelly Johnson version.

I like Wade Davis a lot at his ADP. I'll say sub 4.00 ERA, 175Ks and 14 wins.

shadyridr said:
Sean Rodriguez :lmao:
Looks like he could be a Mark Reynoldsish player
Where exactly is he going to play?
Yankee announcer seemed to think one OF spot was open between him and Joyce but I dont know if they really knew
Fair enough. I didn't realize he was able to play the OF, but after looking at his minor league fielding stats, it looks like he has played a few games out there.

Does Wieters finally show something this year? Is he the projected starter?
How long have you been waiting for him to show something? He got called up May 29th last year and his numbers were very good to close out the year.Yes, he is the starter and I expect him to preform at or above his ADP.Nolan Reimold is still a little sore from his achilles surgery 6 months ago. If he plays, I think he offers some good value. If he is slowed in any way, I think Pie could be a nice sleeper.

How long have you been waiting for him to show something? He got called up May 29th last year and his numbers were very good to close out the year.Yes, he is the starter and I expect him to preform at or above his ADP.Nolan Reimold is still a little sore from his achilles surgery 6 months ago. If he plays, I think he offers some good value. If he is slowed in any way, I think Pie could be a nice sleeper.
I expected 15-60 numbers from weiters given nearly 400 abs, not 9-41. I base this mainly on the fact he was in Camden yards and I really want to believe in him. But more than numbers, in the times I watched him play, I didn't think I was watching a can't miss guy at the plate. Thats more my area of concern, but my sample size of view is much smaller than yours, so I value opinions of people that saw more of him to paint a more complete picture.

Smack Tripper said:
How long have you been waiting for him to show something? He got called up May 29th last year and his numbers were very good to close out the year.Yes, he is the starter and I expect him to preform at or above his ADP.

Nolan Reimold is still a little sore from his achilles surgery 6 months ago. If he plays, I think he offers some good value. If he is slowed in any way, I think Pie could be a nice sleeper.
I expected 15-60 numbers from weiters given nearly 400 abs, not 9-41. I base this mainly on the fact he was in Camden yards and I really want to believe in him. But more than numbers, in the times I watched him play, I didn't think I was watching a can't miss guy at the plate. Thats more my area of concern, but my sample size of view is much smaller than yours, so I value opinions of people that saw more of him to paint a more complete picture.
It's funny you say this because that's what a lot of Oriole fans were saying last year when he came up(myself included). I think a lot of it has to do with how effortless his swing looked, and the fact that the balls weren't going anywhere. Towards the end of the year, that started to change and the ball had some pop coming off his bat. I forget the number, but his OPS in the last couple of months of the season was pretty good.Bill James projects him to hit in 2010:

.311 20 92

I think that's a little high, but I'm expecting something like .300 15 80 as a floor (if he stays healthy and plays DH on some of his off days)

Looking at projected lineups, here are some guys that stand out to me. In many cases, breakouts occur just by volume of at bats.

LAA - E. Aybar (1st); surprised he's not getting more attention, I think he's a steal

MIN - O. Hudson (2nd); between Span & Mauer, could surprise

BAL - N. Reimold (2nd); between Roberts & Markakis, love him

BOS - A. Beltre (8th); many predicting bounceback, don't like the 8th spot

OAK - C. Crisp (2nd), K. Kouzmanoff (5th); OAK should score more runs this year and these guys are in prime spots, can be had for nothing

CHW - J. Pierre (1st); this team will score a lot of runs, and he is going for next to nothing

SEA - F. Gutierrez (3rd); I find it hard to believe that SEA has him 3rd, but if this is the case he could be a steal; another guy going for nothing

CLE - L. Valbuena (9th); some predicting breakout, but won't happen from the 9th spot

DET - S. Sizemore (2nd); if he keeps this spot, could be bigtime breakout; also find Guillen intriguing - batting 5th and being completely ignored in drafts

TEX - J. Borbon (1st); one of the best values in the draft IMO; also, with Andrus slated to bat 9th, not seeing the big breakout many are predicting, I'll pass

KC - S. Podsednik (1st); I like Pods, this team will need to manufacture runs, could do much worse for $1 in the end game of auction

ARZ - S. Drew/C. Jackson (1/2); This team will score a lot more runs this year and these guys will be the reason; especially like Jackson, pure hitter

MIL - A. Escobar (2nd); another guys that could be huge if he keeps this spot in lineup

ATL - M. Prado (2nd); should be solid, I'm targeting him if for no other reason than 3-position eligibility; also like Glaus batting cleanup

PHI - P. Polanco (2nd); much better in head-to-head than roto, very consistent, expecting much better #'s batting between Rollins & Utley; also with Victorino moving to 7th slot his value will take a BIG hit IMO - I'll be avoiding

PIT - R. Doumit (4th); I'll take a cheap catcher batting cleanup any day

COL - D. Fowler (2nd); another team that will score a TON of runs, and this guy is also going for nothing

FLA - C. Maybin (7th); I'm not buying the 7th slot - I think you'll see him switch with Baker (2nd) very soon, if not by opening day

HOU - H. Pence (5th); word out of Houston is that Pence will be the 3 hitter and Berkman 5th; I think Pence can be this year's Jason Bay with a better avg

SF - M. Derosa (5th); may bounce back and is going for nothing in drafts, nice slot too

I really don't know a lot about fantasy baseball - I do well in the first 8-9 rounds just from knowing players, but then I really drop off in the mid/late rounds because knowledgeable owners are drafting breakout guys where I'm pretty much going off random projections.I'm in the 16th round of a 10 team H2H points league old league with some college friends. A ridiculous # of OF's have gone and I still need some depth there:Carlos Lee, OF HOUBobby Abreu, OF LAABrad Hawpe, OF COLAlex Rios, OF CHW(we start 3)Guys on my "list" right now are Travis Snider, Matt LaPorta, and who is this Garrett Jones guy in PIT? Was he a fluke?ETA: other non-breakout OF's still available -> Juan Rivera, Juan Pierre, JD Drew, Soriano. Remember this isn't roto so steals aren't anything special.Any thoughts? I know this seems grossly early compared to normal ADP's, but for some reason OF's are going very early.Rest of my team:

C Joe Mauer, C MIN 1.081B Justin Morneau, 1B MIN 2.052B Brian Roberts, 2B BAL 7.083B Aramis Ramirez, 3B CHC 6.05 SS Jimmy Rollins, SS PHI 3.08 OF Carlos Lee, OF HOU 5.08OF Bobby Abreu, OF LAA 9.08OF Brad Hawpe, OF COL 11.08DH Carlos Pena, 1B TB 10.05 SP Zack Greinke, SP KAN 4.05SP Chris Carpenter, SP STL 8.05SP Brett Anderson, SP OAK 13.08 RP Heath Bell, RP SD 12.05RP BN Alex Rios, OF CHW

Just watching Garrett Jones I dont think hes a fluke at all. Hes a big dude, can take a walk, and the ball just flys off his bat.

Looking at projected lineups, here are some guys that stand out to me. In many cases, breakouts occur just by volume of at bats.

LAA - E. Aybar (1st); surprised he's not getting more attention, I think he's a steal

MIN - O. Hudson (2nd); between Span & Mauer, could surprise

BAL - N. Reimold (2nd); between Roberts & Markakis, love him

BOS - A. Beltre (8th); many predicting bounceback, don't like the 8th spot

OAK - C. Crisp (2nd), K. Kouzmanoff (5th); OAK should score more runs this year and these guys are in prime spots, can be had for nothing

CHW - J. Pierre (1st); this team will score a lot of runs, and he is going for next to nothing

SEA - F. Gutierrez (3rd); I find it hard to believe that SEA has him 3rd, but if this is the case he could be a steal; another guy going for nothing

CLE - L. Valbuena (9th); some predicting breakout, but won't happen from the 9th spot

DET - S. Sizemore (2nd); if he keeps this spot, could be bigtime breakout; also find Guillen intriguing - batting 5th and being completely ignored in drafts

TEX - J. Borbon (1st); one of the best values in the draft IMO; also, with Andrus slated to bat 9th, not seeing the big breakout many are predicting, I'll pass

KC - S. Podsednik (1st); I like Pods, this team will need to manufacture runs, could do much worse for $1 in the end game of auction

ARZ - S. Drew/C. Jackson (1/2); This team will score a lot more runs this year and these guys will be the reason; especially like Jackson, pure hitter

MIL - A. Escobar (2nd); another guys that could be huge if he keeps this spot in lineup

ATL - M. Prado (2nd); should be solid, I'm targeting him if for no other reason than 3-position eligibility; also like Glaus batting cleanup

PHI - P. Polanco (2nd); much better in head-to-head than roto, very consistent, expecting much better #'s batting between Rollins & Utley; also with Victorino moving to 7th slot his value will take a BIG hit IMO - I'll be avoiding

PIT - R. Doumit (4th); I'll take a cheap catcher batting cleanup any day

COL - D. Fowler (2nd); another team that will score a TON of runs, and this guy is also going for nothing

FLA - C. Maybin (7th); I'm not buying the 7th slot - I think you'll see him switch with Baker (2nd) very soon, if not by opening day

HOU - H. Pence (5th); word out of Houston is that Pence will be the 3 hitter and Berkman 5th; I think Pence can be this year's Jason Bay with a better avg

SF - M. Derosa (5th); may bounce back and is going for nothing in drafts, nice slot too
:wub:

Users who are viewing this thread