What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Super BOWL XL Game Thread *** (1 Viewer)

The Steelers were NOT great on defense. Far from it. Hass and company carved them up for most of the game, and it was the Hawks shooting themselves in the foot (Steven's alligator arms X3, Brown's missed kicks, etc.) and the HORRIBLE officiating that stopped drives and touchdowns. Hass pretty much did what he wanted, receivers were wide open, and the Steelers didn't really stuff the run either. Sure, they kept the score down because of the reasons above, but the suggestion that they played great defense is comical.

Seattle hasn't done shat in this game. Quit all the crying.
:goodposting: Steelers D played well. Steelers O played well enough. Seattle didn't do much.

The only REALLY bad call was the personal foul on Hass on his tackle...
They did score two touchdowns that were incorrectly called back (and a third pass to Stevens at the two that was called back on a phantom hold). Eighteen points difference (21 TDs - 3 scored on FG) in the offensive output I put squarely on the refs.
Thank you. Let's imagine for a moment that Pittsburgh's first TD drive is derailed by a marginal holding call, Parker's TD run is called back by a phantom hold, and Randle El's TD pass is stopped by a mysterious offensive pass interference call. I guess everyone would be talking about how the Steelers didn't make enough plays.
:rolleyes:

There'll be another incorrectly called 15 in this game.
Yep, Hass for blocking below the waist...............on a freaking tacle. HOW BAD IS THAT?
I think it was called because he took out both Taylor AND a blocker. Not sure that the ref who saw it realized he also made the tackle.
The Steelers had this exact call go against them earlier this year. I might be a bad rule, but apparently it's the correct call.
Again, selective memories in this thread.
What in the world are you talking about? This EXACT same call went against a Steeler QB earlier this year. I can't remember the exact game but the Steeler made the tackle by going low through a blocker and he got a 15 yard penalty. That's a fact.

The Steelers were NOT great on defense. Far from it. Hass and company carved them up for most of the game, and it was the Hawks shooting themselves in the foot (Steven's alligator arms X3, Brown's missed kicks, etc.) and the HORRIBLE officiating that stopped drives and touchdowns. Hass pretty much did what he wanted, receivers were wide open, and the Steelers didn't really stuff the run either. Sure, they kept the score down because of the reasons above, but the suggestion that they played great defense is comical.
Hass had a great game. I wish the Steelers D had been more aggressive. They played a bend-but-don't-break D, which I hate, but worked in this low scoring game.

:goodposting: Steelers D played well. Steelers O played well enough. Seattle didn't do much.

And this had very little impact on the game. The Steelers would have scored on that TD play from El to Ward no matter where they were on the field.
I believe the point is that they might not call the play if they are 15 yards closer to their own endzone.

I hate this loss. I hated some of the calls on the field, but Seattle was beat by three plays by the Steelers Offense. The pass to Hines Ward that was put in by Big Ben, the FWP big bust and run, and the Reverse pass.

Everything else can be disputed or talked about...."Seahawks were robbed" and all that, but those plays all added up to Steeler points.

We outplayed the Steelers for three quarters, but the points put up by the Steelers were all big plays that were honest and well executed. I do have a problem with all of the talk on tv about how the defense for Pitt won this game. Seattle's offense moved the ball at will for nearly the entire game. The Seattle defense which looked strong the entire first half was beaten bad on a couple of plays and that spelled the difference.

Congrats to all of you Steelers fans.
BGP would like to have some private words with you.

Yep, Hass for blocking below the waist...............on a freaking tacle. HOW BAD IS THAT?
I think it was called because he took out both Taylor AND a blocker. Not sure that the ref who saw it realized he also made the tackle.
The Steelers had this exact call go against them earlier this year. I might be a bad rule, but apparently it's the correct call.
What in the world are you talking about? This EXACT same call went against a Steeler QB earlier this year. I can't remember the exact game but the Steeler made the tackle by going low through a blocker and he got a 15 yard penalty. That's a fact.
Reread the thread, I'm on the same page as you and made this exact point PAGES ago. Nobody wanted to hear about then and I doubt they will now. This is a hate-fest.

Last edited by a moderator:

And this had very little impact on the game. The Steelers would have scored on that TD play from El to Ward no matter where they were on the field.
I believe the point is that they might not call the play if they are 15 yards closer to their own endzone.
Speculate much?

Reread the thread, I'm on the same page as you and made this exact point PAGES ago. Nobody wanted to hear about then and I doubt they will now. This is a hate-fest.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were arguing aginst me.

They did score two touchdowns that were incorrectly called back (and a third pass to Stevens at the two that was called back on a phantom hold). Eighteen points difference (21 TDs - 3 scored on FG) in the offensive output I put squarely on the refs.
Thank you. Let's imagine for a moment that Pittsburgh's first TD drive is derailed by a marginal holding call, Parker's TD run is called back by a phantom hold, and Randle El's TD pass is stopped by a mysterious offensive pass interference call. I guess everyone would be talking about how the Steelers didn't make enough plays.
What?Pittsburgh made a handful of plays that were not called back.

Seattle made a handful of plays that were called back.

You can not deny either of those statements.

They did score two touchdowns that were incorrectly called back (and a third pass to Stevens at the two that was called back on a phantom hold). Eighteen points difference (21 TDs - 3 scored on FG) in the offensive output I put squarely on the refs.BTW: I was rooting for the Steelers, had money on the Steelers and no affinity for the 'Hawks or conspiracy theories. But, Seattle played well enough to beat Pittsburgh. What they didn't do was play well enough to beat the Steelers + Zebras. Like this whole season, it was pathetic and predominantly one-sided officiating.
That's ridiculous. The Steelers clearly didn't play their best game, but the Seahawks played incredibly poorly within the 20s.
Umm, well I'll stick to my story, which I don't think is ridiculous at all. They produced enough to score 28 points, 18 of which were taken off the board by excruciatingly poor calls. I can't even begin to speculate on why those calls were so consistently bad against the 'Hawks. Those are the breaks and what have you. But, if the officials do their job, Seattle has 28 points on the board, momentum, and the outcome with all that is unknown.And, again, I repeat...I profited from Pittsburgh's win. I couldn't care less about Seattle or the Steelers. But, I appreciate good football, competitive football, and competent people pulling the game together. The latter failed miserably tonight and, thus, this XL business will go down as the most absurd SB I can remember.

This whining about officiating is 100% ridiculous.

HOW can anyone say the PI call was poor when he blatantly extended his arm right in front of the ref to push off?  That's called EVERY time when the receiver completely extends his arm like that, and I'd feel the same way if it were Hines Ward doing it.
No. That type of pass interence is so rarely called. That's why there is an uproar over it. The halftime people even replayed it and discussed it.
So is the Locklear holding call, when Haggans was taken down from the side.  It was a huge call, I agree. 
No. That was a solid block. At first, it appeared that Haggans would get the edge on Locklear, but the block was made. The official was unable to recognize that a tackle could made the play without holding.
And I'm sorry, but the ball very easily could've broken the plane on Ben's TD run.  Not the entire ball, but the corner of it that was tucked in by his elbow.  If it wouldn't have been called a TD, that call would've stood, too. 
I've been over this. The official runs up to the ball ready to mark it 4 to 6 inches short. Once he sees Roethlisberger laying across the endzone, he decides to signal a TD. As you state above, his original call of no TD would have stood as well.
I love how no one cares that Hasselbeck threw a very costly INT or they gave up a 75 yard TD run or they gave up a 40+ yard trick play TD or they scored only 10 points or the Steelers held Seattle to 33% 3rd down conversions or Josh Brown missed 2 field goals or...
Remember that the INT was after the phantom holding call. The play where the INT occured would not have been called.The Parker TD was an excellent play by the Steelers....that's one for them.

The trick play TD came after the phantom hold and the illegal tackle by Hasselbeck. We have no idea if Pittsburgh would have tried that play (or even been in position to do so). Even so, it was perfectly executed....that's two for them.

33% isn't too bad against a very good defense. Also, consider that there were a few times where Seattle converted but a penalty brought the play back.

I don't knock missed FGs when they are 50+ yarders.
My god.When a WR extends his arm to get separation right in front of the official, it's called. I stand by that, and you should watch that play again if you think otherwise. If he just doesn't extend his arm, whether he pushed off or not, it's a TD.

Locklear's block was most definitely NOT a solid block. I have to just shake my head at anyone who can watch that play again and NOT see Locklear out of position and grabbing with his right arm. Haggans had position on him and Locklear was off Haggans' shoulder when he reached his right arm back to grab Haggans. It's blatant if you watch the play again.

I have no idea why he ran in originally to spot the ball before signalling for a TD. I saw that too, but if he didn't get in, it was even closer than 6 inches after watching the replay. The call was a TD because it was originally ruled a TD.

And they weren't even 33%... they were 5-17, or 27%.

Whether you saw a hold on Locklear or not, that was a terrible pass by Hasselbeck on the INT. There's no excuse for that pass, and it was every bit as bad as Roethlisberger's 2nd INT.

Except for the fact that there were no penalties on the plays that the Steelers made and there were on the ones Seattle made.Simple.

I argued with everyone in the bar that the Hass fumble was not a fumble. But the holding call was correct, the PI was there (but not called sometimes), and the Big Ben TD was probably unable to be overturned (if called differently on the field, I wouldn't argue that it should be overturned either).

The Steelers big plays were all COMPLETELY clean. No question.

Speculate much?
All the time. The game's over. What else is there to do?

:towelwave:

Love You Black N Gold, the long wait is finally over.

So Sweet, Great game Seahawks, Keep you chins up!

The Bus is parked a champion & Ward is MVP!

All is right in the world.

STILLERS, Who RIDE? We RIDE!!!!

Actually, I thought the Steelers' defense did exactly what they wanted to do, and that's force Seattle to go down the field 5-7 yards at a time. Hasselbeck's yards per attempt was very, very pedestrian because they forced him to throw underneath. I thought Holmgren gave up on the running game too early, because Alexander looked strong in the 2nd half. Not a stellar performance by the Steelers defense, but a solid one against a good offense.

that was a terrible pass by Hasselbeck on the INT. There's no excuse for that pass, and it was every bit as bad as Roethlisberger's 2nd INT.
Definitely agree here.The rest....not so much. :D

I hate this loss. I hated some of the calls on the field, but Seattle was beat by three plays by the Steelers Offense. The pass to Hines Ward that was put in by Big Ben, the FWP big bust and run, and the Reverse pass.

Everything else can be disputed or talked about...."Seahawks were robbed" and all that, but those plays all added up to Steeler points.

We outplayed the Steelers for three quarters, but the points put up by the Steelers were all big plays that were honest and well executed. I do have a problem with all of the talk on tv about how the defense for Pitt won this game. Seattle's offense moved the ball at will for nearly the entire game. The Seattle defense which looked strong the entire first half was beaten bad on a couple of plays and that spelled the difference.

Congrats to all of you Steelers fans.
BGP would like to have some private words with you.

Except for the fact that there were no penalties on the plays that the Steelers made and there were on the ones Seattle made.Simple.

I argued with everyone in the bar that the Hass fumble was not a fumble. But the holding call was correct, the PI was there (but not called sometimes), and the Big Ben TD was probably unable to be overturned (if called differently on the field, I wouldn't argue that it should be overturned either).

On Pittsburgh's first TD drive, there was a holding call that was every bit as "unclean" as the Locklear hold. If it's called, the Steelers have third and long rather than the first down they made. Who knows if they would have been able to overcome that, but their offense at the time was sluggish at best.Parker's TD was "clean".

Randle El's TD came after the Seahawks were denied first and goal from inside the three (I'm thinking the one-yard line, but can't be certain). Had Seattle scored there and taken the lead, it is not unreasonable to wonder what mindset the Steelers would have been in. That said, the scoring play itself was certainly "clean".

On Pittsburgh's first TD drive, there was a holding call that was every bit as "unclean" as the Locklear hold. If it's called, the Steelers have third and long rather than the first down they made. Who knows if they would have been able to overcome that, but their offense at the time was sluggish at best.Parker's TD was "clean".

Randle El's TD came after the Seahawks were denied first and goal from inside the three (I'm thinking the one-yard line, but can't be certain). Had Seattle scored there and taken the lead, it is not unreasonable to wonder what mindset the Steelers would have been in. That said, the scoring play itself was certainly "clean".
Well, no one is talking about Jerramy Stevens' "incomplete pass" which was clearly a catch, football move and fumble. The only people around to recover that when it was blown dead were in Black and Gold, too...Officiating is officiating. I agree that this game it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible and it certainly didn't decide the game. Both teams had many different opportunities to salt it away.

>>Officiating is officiating. I agree that this game it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible and it certainly didn't decide the game. Both teams had many different opportunities to salt it away.

No matter how bad officiating is, you can always overcome it... but in a game this tight, and when/where it happened... I hope Paul Allen runs ads in every major newspaper rag to put the asterisk on this game, as it belongs.

>>Officiating is officiating. I agree that this game it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible and it certainly didn't decide the game. Both teams had many different opportunities to salt it away.

No matter how bad officiating is, you can always overcome it... but in a game this tight, and when/where it happened... I hope Paul Allen runs ads in every major newspaper rag to put the asterisk on this game, as it belongs.
Don't be salty....it's very unbecoming.

Okay. Let's analyze.

All Seahawk fans are saying

1: Roethlisberger didn't get in on the Rushing TD.

2: Jackson's TD wasn't offensive pass interference.

3: Jackson's catch was in bounds.

4: The refs just totally ####ed them.

Anyone with any logic thought is saying

1: Roethlistberger was in. It was clear. The ball crossed the plane while he was in the air, then the hit jarred him back. Say when a running back jumps over the pile to score a TD, just because he doesn't land on the ground with the ball crossing the plan that means it's not a TD? No. Same rules apply there.

2: This call gets called sometimes, sometimes not. It got called. He pushed off...it's not like Darrell Jackson was innocent.

3: Jackson's catch was so obvioulsy out of bounds as Muley said

4: The refs called the game right down the middle. They did a great job. Regardless of whether everyone wants to ##### and moan, whoopty do, it's a game, and the NFL suceeded in whatever "version" of the game you want to think. Because you WATCHED the game, and you're gonna be COMPLAINING about the outcome for the next 98789342 years.

Winners are remembered forever, losers aren't.

Those who whine and complain about lost chances don't stand a chance, those who LEARN AND BUILD from them do.

For all the Seattle fans out there, take this loss as a good thing. Stop the complaining, the game was called right.

Thanks

SHUUUUT UUUUUP..BOTTOM LINE WHO THE #### IS HOLDING THAT TROPHY IN THE END. AND WAS IT?????? THE STEELERS!....THE TRICK PLAY AND THE PARKER RUN WERE CLEAN PLAYS WHERE PITT JUST EXECUTED PERFECTLY IF YOU DISSAGREE YOUR AN IDIOT. BEN'S TOUCHDOWN IS DEBATABLE BUT THE RULING WAS A TOUCHDOWN. AND THERE NEEDS TO BE CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE. AND THERE JUST WASNT. ALL AND ALL WHO WILL BE REMEMBERED AS SUPER XL CHAMPIONS?????????????????????? THE ####### STEELERS!!!!!1

SHUUUUT UUUUUP..BOTTOM LINE WHO THE #### IS HOLDING THAT TROPHY IN THE END. AND WAS IT?????? THE STEELERS!....THE TRICK PLAY AND THE PARKER RUN WERE CLEAN PLAYS WHERE PITT JUST EXECUTED PERFECTLY IF YOU DISSAGREE YOUR AN IDIOT. BEN'S TOUCHDOWN IS DEBATABLE BUT THE RULING WAS A TOUCHDOWN. AND THERE NEEDS TO BE CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE. AND THERE JUST WASNT. ALL AND ALL WHO WILL BE REMEMBERED AS SUPER XL CHAMPIONS?????????????????????? THE ####### STEELERS!!!!!1
You know, in the real world, you sign up for a job, and you get a 30-90 day probational period, where if you do something stupid, you can get fired.Maybe a suggestion for the SP? :)

TO ALL STEELER HATERS OUT THERE, HERE'S A RIDDLE FOR YOU....

WHAT'S THE OPPOSITE OF "ABOVE ME" ?

BELOW ME......HHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!1!!

Lower-case down?Congrats on winning a rather bland, unmemorable sb that will be remembered more for the officiating than much else. If anyone remembers anything at all (except people who write in all caps on a messageboard with multiple "?" and "!" marks).

Die hard Steeler fans just don't get it. Most of the world today didn't care who won. Lots of feel good stories. Cowher/Bus, or Holmgren/Hass. I really would have been happy either way. So celebrate. You won. You deserved it because of the 2 playoff games. There will be no asterisk, as much of what happened will be forgotten except for who won.

But the refs did not let this "Super" Bowl get settled on the field, and almost everyone wearing any neutral color, or anything other than gold and black, knows this. The calls were horrible, and heavily against the Hawks. I expect Steeler fans to rationalize the obvious, so no need to respond. If I were a homer with blinders on, I'd probably do the same thing. So go enjoy the...

:banned:

Okay. Let's analyze.

All Seahawk fans are saying

1: Roethlisberger didn't get in on the Rushing TD.

2: Jackson's TD wasn't offensive pass interference.

3: Jackson's catch was in bounds.

4: The refs just totally ####ed them.

Anyone with any logic thought is saying

1: Roethlistberger was in. It was clear. The ball crossed the plane while he was in the air, then the hit jarred him back. Say when a running back jumps over the pile to score a TD, just because he doesn't land on the ground with the ball crossing the plan that means it's not a TD? No. Same rules apply there.

2: This call gets called sometimes, sometimes not. It got called. He pushed off...it's not like Darrell Jackson was innocent.

3: Jackson's catch was so obvioulsy out of bounds as Muley said

4: The refs called the game right down the middle. They did a great job. Regardless of whether everyone wants to ##### and moan, whoopty do, it's a game, and the NFL suceeded in whatever "version" of the game you want to think. Because you WATCHED the game, and you're gonna be COMPLAINING about the outcome for the next 98789342 years.

Winners are remembered forever, losers aren't.

Those who whine and complain about lost chances don't stand a chance, those who LEARN AND BUILD from them do.

For all the Seattle fans out there, take this loss as a good thing. Stop the complaining, the game was called right.

Thanks
You lost me at #1 :rolleyes:

Die hard Steeler fans just don't get it. Most of the world today didn't care who won. Lots of feel good stories. Cowher/Bus, or Holmgren/Hass. I really would have been happy either way. So celebrate. You won. You deserved it because of the 2 playoff games. There will be no asterisk, as much of what happened will be forgotten except for who won.

But the refs did not let this "Super" Bowl get settled on the field, and almost everyone wearing any neutral color, or anything other than gold and black, knows this. The calls were horrible, and heavily against the Hawks. I expect Steeler fans to rationalize the obvious, so no need to respond. If I were a homer with blinders on, I'd probably do the same thing. So go enjoy the...

:banned:
Explain 2 things to me then...When Darrell Jackson fully extended his arm against Hope and pushed off, why was that a bad call? If you want to call it debatable, fine. That call is made as often as it's not, and it's almost ALWAYS made when the WR extends his arm to do it.

And when you watch the Locklear hold and see him at Haggans' side, beaten around the end and holding with his right arm, HOW is that a bad call?

It's not about being a homer... I've watched these plays almost a dozen times now just to try and see what everyone is complaining about.

Which is why the ref started to trot out signalling that Ben wasn't over until he stretched out, then signalled the TD? I think it's highly debatable that the ball ever touched the plane. But I agree that it wasn't conclusive to overturn.

-Josh Brown missed 2 FG's (there own fault)

-Willie Parker has a 75 yard TD (there own fault)

-All the Stevens drops (there own fault)

-Sack of Hassleback when in TD range (there own fault)

-Hassleback INT near endzone (there own fault)

-Unable to take the Roethlisberger INT the full 100 yards (there own fault)

-Randle El to Hines Ward (there own fault)

-Townsend sack to end drive (there own fault)

-Not stopping Randle El and Big Ben for the 1st downs at the end (there own fault)

-Bad clock management in the 1st half and at the end of the game (there own fault)

The Seahawks didn't deserve to win this game. Maybe the Steelers didn't but the Seahawks didn't either.
THEIR NOT THERE

-Josh Brown missed 2 FG's (there own fault)-Willie Parker has a 75 yard TD (there own fault)-All the Stevens drops (there own fault)-Sack of Hassleback when in TD range (there own fault)-Hassleback INT near endzone (there own fault)-Unable to take the Roethlisberger INT the full 100 yards (there own fault)-Randle El to Hines Ward (there own fault)-Townsend sack to end drive (there own fault)-Not stopping Randle El and Big Ben for the 1st downs at the end (there own fault)-Bad clock management in the 1st half and at the end of the game (there own fault)
This is what I was trying to say in a few threads...officiating can hurt you, but it can still be overcome. Seattle hurt themselves in this game.Both teams deserved to be there, but only one can win.Congratulation Steeler Fans...Enjoy this win with Class.

-Josh Brown missed 2 FG's (there own fault)

-Willie Parker has a 75 yard TD (there own fault)

-All the Stevens drops (there own fault)

-Sack of Hassleback when in TD range (there own fault)

-Hassleback INT near endzone (there own fault)

-Unable to take the Roethlisberger INT the full 100 yards (there own fault)

-Randle El to Hines Ward (there own fault)

-Townsend sack to end drive (there own fault)

-Not stopping Randle El and Big Ben for the 1st downs at the end (there own fault)

-Bad clock management in the 1st half and at the end of the game (there own fault)

The Seahawks didn't deserve to win this game. Maybe the Steelers didn't but the Seahawks didn't either.
THEIR NOT THERE
:rant: like that even matters.. but thanks for tellin me :thumbdown:

Since I was at the game a week ago, I thought it'd be interesting to look this thread over. Common themes developed in here for sure. I'm really depressed the season is over and I'm just trying to watch the ProBowl to get my final fix.

Users who are viewing this thread