What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superflex differences (1 Viewer)

pmark

Footballguy
I'm using to playing in standard 1.0 PPR leagues but this year will be the first time playing in a .5 PPR superflex league (12 team). Anything that is really different besides QBs tend to go a lot earlier? People mention that QBs tend to go a lot earlier but how early do they tend to go? If I don't draft a QB by round 3, am I going to be screwed?

it depends on leaguemates but in general qbs do go quicker. you can easily wait past round 3 for a qb. that's a valid strat and one i employ from time to time. that way you maybe get two upper 1st round caliber players. kupp and kelce might score like a lot of qbs anyway. and then ending up later with qbs like arod, daniel jones, and/or purdy isn't the worst thing in the world. but sometimes the qbs don't fly and you can pair a mahomes/allen/hurts with like fields or even burrow. that's a great strat too. you pick slot will be important and what other people are doing should guide you

I'm using to playing in standard 1.0 PPR leagues but this year will be the first time playing in a .5 PPR superflex league (12 team). Anything that is really different besides QBs tend to go a lot earlier? People mention that QBs tend to go a lot earlier but how early do they tend to go? If I don't draft a QB by round 3, am I going to be screwed?
It really depends. A very well balanced 12 team, SF league should see 3-5 QBs, 3-5 RBs & 3-4 WRs in the first round and about the same in the 2nd round. But if this is the first year for everyone there could be a run on QBs in the first, if there isn't a run then you should start the run.

Don't get locked in to taking a 2nd QB in the 2nd or 3rd round but if you haven't by the 4th you better start looking, fast.

If I don't draft a QB by round 3, am I going to be screwed?
10000% screwed.

QB should be 8-10 of the first 12 picks, and likely 4-6 of the next 12.

There are different approaches to the SF position, but this late in the game there aren’t many sleeper QBs left. Ain’t no Jordan Love in the 3rd or Howell in the 6th anymore.

You don’t have to start a QB in the SF slot, but especially in a .5 PPR league (assuming 6 pt PaTD) QBs will go early & often.

Considering that everyone in the league is in the same boat, I suspect that a few more QBs will go early, but it won't be an absolute feeding frenzy. If you're picking very early in the 1st round, I wouldn't take one. You'll have plenty of time to catch up even if a bunch go off the board before your 2nd pick. It's like a giant game of bluff with people who all are trying to figure out the pecking order.

Of course, your individual league scoring parameters also come into play. If it's 6 TD passing then that pushes you to be more aggressive.

Considering that everyone in the league is in the same boat, I suspect that a few more QBs will go early, but it won't be an absolute feeding frenzy. If you're picking very early in the 1st round, I wouldn't take one. You'll have plenty of time to catch up even if a bunch go off the board before your 2nd pick. It's like a giant game of bluff with people who all are trying to figure out the pecking order.

Of course, your individual league scoring parameters also come into play. If it's 6 TD passing then that pushes you to be more aggressive.
I’m taking a Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Hurts/LJax/Fields if I have a top 6 pick 100/100 times, assuming. 6 pt passing TD and a snake draft format.

I’m taking a Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Hurts/LJax/Fields if I have a top 6 pick 100/100 times, assuming. 6 pt passing TD and a snake draft format.
Are you saying that you would take LJax or Fields that high in 6pt TD but not 4pt TD? If so, why?
I don't think either player will throw enough TDs to overtake some of the more passing TD-heavy QBs. I would slot someone like Herbert above both of them in 6pt.

Are you saying that you would take LJax or Fields that high in 6pt TD but not 4pt TD? If so, why?
I don't think either player will throw enough TDs to overtake some of the more passing TD-heavy QBs. I would slot someone like Herbert above both of them in 6pt.
6 pt TD + .5 PPR, yes.

The half PPR is the more impactful of the two, but both parameters matter.

It’s going to elevate the top QBs over the WR/RB, IMO.

I might bump a couple of the workhorse backs over the elite WR in that format as well.

ETA I should have included Herbert on my list, and I agree. I knew I was missing someone. Maybe TLaw, too.

Last edited:

6 pt TD + .5 PPR, yes.

I might bump a couple of the workhorse backs over the elite WR in that format as well.

ETA I should have included Herbert on my list, and I agree. I knew I was missing someone.

I'm not sure you understood the point of my post. Yes, I absolutely agree that half PPR + superflex is going to significantly change the end of year scoring and cause QBs to dominate the top of the league.
But thinking about this strategically, at the draft everyone in the league is coming in cold and no one is expected to be comfortable with switching from an established full PPR/1 QB.

In that situation (the one described by OP), I am advocating to slow roll the QB run.

QB should be 8-10 of the first 12 picks, and likely 4-6 of the next 12.
Not throwing shade but it sounds like your league needs a scoring tweak, or people are overvaluing QBs.
.5 PPR
:shrug:

That said I’m guessing - I play in 2 SF leagues & 1x 2 QB league, but all are dynasty.

No idea what will happen in this format. I just know how I’d approach it I landed a Top 7 pick I’m taking a QB. Maybe even a top 8 pick.

Last edited:

6 pt TD + .5 PPR, yes.

ETA I should have included Herbert on my list, and I agree. I knew I was missing someone.

I'm not sure you understood the point of my post. Yes, I absolutely agree that half PPR + superflex is going to significantly change the end of year scoring and cause QBs to dominate the top of the league.
But thinking about this strategically, at the draft everyone in the league is coming in cold and no one is expected to be comfortable with switching from an established full PPR/1 QB.

In that situation (the one described by OP), I am advocating to slow roll the QB run.
That’s certainly a possibility, I agree.

I’m not sure I’d be comfortable going into the draft with that assumption.

Is it not possible that some league members already play in SF?

Putting my redraft hat on, there’s probably guys like Danny Dimes, ARod, Tua, Geno, etc that would allow one to take a RB or WR then go cheap at the position.

I’m not sure it’s the best strategy, but again, I don’t play redraft SF so take my input with a grain of salt.

I just know every SF league I’ve been in people go nuts for QBs.

When my league switched from 1QB to SF, it took many of my league mates a few seasons to wrap their heads around it. There was incredible QB value those few years. Now unfortunately, everyone has figured it out and QB’s fetch top dollars in our auction.

So this is my first time doing SF, but I'm joining a new league that is used to SF so that is why I'm trying to figure out what typically happens. Passing TDs are only 4 pts. I'm picking towards the middle of the round so I'm probably going to be missing the first big 3 QBs. Feels a little like no mans land.

Been doing SF for several years, like it so much better than “regular” formats., incorportaes more strategy into the draft. If you have a top 3 pick, I personally feel like you have to take one of Allen, Mahomes or Hurts. If you don’t, and there is a big run on QB’s, you may start off at a distinct disadvantage at the QB and SF positions. Mid 1st round is when I would consider taking a top tier WR/RB, but back end of 1st I’m jumping all over Lamar, Herbert or Burrow if available.

After that, it just comes down to who is available. I‘ve had good success grabbing a second QB in either the 2nd or 3rd round, and then just hammer the other positions from that point on. Keep in mind, once the drop off in QB occurs, there’s much less opportunity to find a “sleeper“ QB vs WR or RB due to the very limited pool of fantasy starting caliber players at the position.

This year I have a top 3 pick, grabbing one of the top QB’s in the first. If TLawrence slips to me in the second I won’t hesitate to grab him there. More than likely, I’ll be waiting until, the 4th and hope that Geno or Jones are still there.

Generally speaking, I would make sure you have 2QB’s by the 4-5th at the latest.

Passing TDs are only 4 pts
Ok that changes a lot. .5 PPR, 6 pt RuTD, 4 Pt PaTD?

LJax & Fields just moved way up my board for this format. If you can land a 5-6-7 pick and get a cheat code rushing QB, it’s gonna be a big leg up in this league. With a top 2 pick, it’s Hurts & Allen and a big drop-off

A lot depends on your starting requirements. Fewer starting lineup spots makes getting an advantage at QB and SF more of a priority, as there are fewer spots for others to catch up. If it’s a big starting lineup, you should still aim to get a QB1 anchor early but a mid-QB2 type for the SF will keep you competitive with the rest of your league.
Assuming this is a redraft league, you should aim to get a top 8 QB in the first or second round, depending on your draft position. If you do that, you have the option to take another top 8 QB if one falls or to wait on your QB2 until round 4/5 or later. If you pass on QB in rounds 1 + 2, you may feel forced to take a QB2 type as your QB1.
I did a new redraft league (with 2QB not SF) because the people wanted to see how the transition from their standard 1QB would play out before committing to a dynasty league. Picking out of the 11th spot, I drafted 3 QBs with my first 6 picks, taking one each pair of picks but again that’s because of the 2QB format. If it was SF, I probably would’ve picked 2 in the first 4, and then a 3rd much later.

So this is my first time doing SF, but I'm joining a new league that is used to SF so that is why I'm trying to figure out what typically happens. Passing TDs are only 4 pts. I'm picking towards the middle of the round so I'm probably going to be missing the first big 3 QBs. Feels a little like no mans land.
Sorry brother, I'm all over the map here but I did put a lot of thought into the post below, if you can puzzle it together. But I'm tired and don't want to edit. Good luck.

If this is an experienced, and well balanced, scoring wise (4pts/pass TD is a good start), league then middle of the first round is actually a great spot for your first SF draft, IMO.

If you have a crack at Burrow, Lamar or, probably Fields & Herbert, you're okay at QB and don't have to risk waiting. I would absolutely move on one of them. In my league I could realistically expect two of those four, at least to be available in the early 2nd, but probably not past pick 16.

It's not obligatory in a good SF league to take two QBs in the first two rounds, but if you get a crack at two of the top 7 this year, I would strongly consider it. It will make the rest of your draft a little more difficult, mostly due to unfamiliarity but, I promise getting two of the top seven QBs doesn't suck in SF leagues.

Bottom line is there is still going to be plenty of talent available at your 2nd round pick. If you took the QB in the first you have until, probably the 5th, on the far end, to grab your QB2 but the later you go with your QB2, the earlier you will need to target your QB3.

You should still check if a QB is falling far below ADP in the 3rd & 4th. The Draft Dominator seems to have incorporated actual SF data in their ADP data, if you configure it properly, I strongly encourage you to use it.

It's a trade off because the sleeper you think every one missed on in the 5th may be a pumpkin. For me last year it was Jameis, but thankfully I moved on Goff in the 8th, which was season saving.

Sorry, a bit stream of consciousness here but back to the end of the 2nd round: Trevor Lawrence is a great value. But at that point I stop being QB desperate. There is probably value at other positions that are equivalent, or better than, Dak, Jones, DeShaun (bit of a spec option) & Cousins (who is better than most people think). If your going to take a big swing on a QB there I rank Jones>DeShaun and I struggle between Dak & Cousins after them.

If you were bold and passed on QB in the 1st & 2nd you need to take a zero QB mindset and plan to take 3 QBs, probably in rounds 4 (at the very latest), 5 & 6. Maybe you can wait to 7 for your last one but it's a huge risk your first year in this format.

TL/DR: Because of your unfamiliarity with this format I would almost certainly go QB with your first round pick. After that you have a lot more flexibility.

Next year when you know the league better you may wait until the mid 2nd, or even 3rd (not recommended but not deal breaking) to target your first QB.

Last edited:
Sorry brother, I'm all over the map here but I did put a lot of thought into the post below, if you can puzzle it together. But I'm tired and don't want to edit. Good luck.

If this is an experienced, and well balanced, scoring wise (4pts/pass TD is a good start), league then middle of the first round is actually a great spot for your first SF draft, IMO.

If you have a crack at Burrow, Lamar or, probably Fields & Herbert, you're okay at QB and don't have to risk waiting. I would absolutely move on one of them. In my league I could realistically expect two of those four, at least to be available in the early 2nd, but probably not past pick 16.

It's not obligatory in a good SF league to take two QBs in the first two rounds, but if you get a crack at two of the top 7 this year, I would strongly consider it. It will make the rest of your draft a little more difficult, mostly due to unfamiliarity but, I promise getting two of the top seven QBs doesn't suck in SF leagues.

Bottom line is there is still going to be plenty of talent available at your 2nd round pick. If you took the QB in the first you have until, probably the 5th, on the far end, to grab your QB2 but the later you go with your QB2, the earlier you will need to target your QB3.

You should still check if a QB is falling far below ADP in the 3rd & 4th. The Draft Dominator seems to have incorporated actual SF data in their ADP data, if you configure it properly, I strongly encourage you to use it.

It's a trade off because the sleeper you think every one missed on in the 5th may be a pumpkin. For me last year it was Jameis, but thankfully I moved on Goff in the 8th, which was season saving.

Sorry, a bit stream of consciousness here but back to the end of the 2nd round: Trevor Lawrence is a great value. But at that point I stop being QB desperate. There is probably value at other positions that are equivalent, or better than, Dak, Jones, DeShaun (bit of a spec option) & Cousins (who is better than most people think). If your going to take a big swing on a QB there I rank Jones>DeShaun and I struggle between Dak & Cousins after them.

If you were bold and passed on QB in the 1st & 2nd you need to take a zero QB mindset and plan to take 3 QBs, probably in rounds 4 (at the very latest), 5 & 6. Maybe you can wait to 7 for your last one but it's a huge risk your first year in this format.

TL/DR: Because of your unfamiliarity with this format I would almost certainly go QB with your first round picks. After that you have a lot more flexibility.

Next year when you know the league better you may even wait until the mid 2nd to target your first QB.
Lots of great advice to divine here. I can’t argue with any of it. A hit disorganized as advertised but many nuggets to glean.

Well said @Chaka

TL/DR: Because of your unfamiliarity with this format I would almost certainly go QB with your first round picks. After that you have a lot more flexibility.

Next year when you know the league better you may even wait until the mid 2nd to target your first QB.
Lots of great advice to divine here. I can’t argue with any of it. A hit disorganized as advertised but many nuggets to glean.

Well said @Chaka
A bit disorganized? You must have been drinking more than me.

Users who are viewing this thread