What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Surviving the Widowmaker (1 Viewer)

So glad you're still with us, Judge.

Pardon my ignorance, but why did they need to shave your groin?
Also, I thought that LDL was the "good" cholesterol. Having high LDL is preferred, no?

Also, I thought that LDL was the "good" cholesterol. Having high LDL is preferred, no?
No, LDL is "bad". You want that low. It's the HDL what you want high.

They insert the catheter through the groin area and snake their way to the blockage

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap. Glad you went right in and they fixed you up. Scares me because I know I eat pretty crappy, get little to no exercise, and my sleep is crap too. Need to get the CPAP going.

Wow man—-terrifying stuff. Some quick thinking and being so close to the hospital definitely played a part.  Get well soon so you can tell us about more of your Vegas expeditions!!!!

Really glad you made it! My dad had a serious scare before Thanksgiving and got out of the hospital night before. He and stepmom typically host 30+, and dad gives speech. He was in sales and is a good speaker, but often I found the speeches a bit manufactured. This year it was emotional and quite beautiful. Similarly, I hope you bask in some love with your family in appreciation for all you have to be thankful for. Sometimes, like a long resonant note from a string instrument, you need to hear the music before you really feel the emotion. 

Enjoy life. 
Man - beautiful thoughts/words right there. Thank you 

I can't read the whole thread yet, I'll freak out too badly.

I just want to say thanks.  My wife was out of town this weekend, so "bachelor weekend" for my teenage son and me.  Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy it.  Felt like crap all weekend.  Not MAJOR chest pain but I had a fever, diarrhea, and weird shooting pains in my chest every once in a while as I tried to sleep Friday.  Continued Saturday, but pain in chest was mostly at night when trying to sleep.

When I saw this thread title Saturday I couldn't even open the thread, but it did freak me out.  When wife got home I told her what was going on and last night we went to the ER just to be safe.  Freaked my son out, freaked me out, but I'm glad we went.  Clear EKG, clear blood tests, definitely no heart attack.  No warning signs one was coming on.  Appears I just got a bug and it's manifesting in strange ways (including the symptoms causing super high anxiety which only made everything worse).  My normal MO would have been to put off going to get checked.  Seeing this thread title was part of the motivation to not eff around.  So thanks for sharing your story.

I have some work to do to reduce my risk factors.  Big wake up call for me. 

DocHolliday said:
Damn. 46. Have you had to change your diet and/or add exercise 
Not too much. I have very high cholesterol in my family. It's always been between 330 - 430. I was on statins since my early 30s but had an episode where I was jaundiced. I stupidly quit taking the statins and tried to control it with diet and exercise. Specifically a low fat diet. Fail.

I'm back on Lipitor and Zetia and my total cholesterol is now under 100.

I've also reduced carbs - not keto or anything - just keeping carbs under 50g per meal.

Not too much. I have very high cholesterol in my family. It's always been between 330 - 430. I was on statins since my early 30s but had an episode where I was jaundiced. I stupidly quit taking the statins and tried to control it with diet and exercise. Specifically a low fat diet. Fail.

I'm back on Lipitor and Zetia and my total cholesterol is now under 100.

I've also reduced carbs - not keto or anything - just keeping carbs under 50g per meal.
Wow that's high.  Stay on your statins amigo.  Doctors told me my biggest risk is not taking meds.  People have a stent put in and then stop taking blood thinners because they don't like the occasional purple bruise on their arms.  So put their life at risk over vanity.  

Update - had a fantastic meeting with the Cardiologist who did my procedure.  Was sort of nervous that they called me asking if I could get in same day vs appointment anytime during the week as said at hospital.  She said it looked to be a freak thing.  Actually didn't even have much plaque in the LAD and all others perfectly clean.  Piece likely broke off/ruptured and caused bleeding and coagulation to fully close the artery.  Fact that I was in surgery so fast after the episode likely limited any long term damage and I should be as good as new.  She did an EKG and was normal.  Blood pressure normal including heart rate.  Did prescribe me baby aspirin that somehow my PCP missed.  Said to make sure I stayed hydrated, moderate salt, moderate drinking (2 glasses of wine OK for Christmas Eve party).  Doing an ultrasound the day after Christmas and was referred to the Cardiac Rehab program.  She likes that I'm already walking 30-60 minutes a day.  Said my choice if I want to work or not - "if it causes you to stress don't work. If you're more stressed by missing out then work".  I'm going to just check in a few times a day as we close out the Sales year but that's it. No flying for a month.  I didn't ask about the secks but will when I get my ultrasound. Kidded with my wife that she should have asked since she was in the room! I do exercise a lot, don't smoke and for the most part have a good diet.  I'm going to drop 15 lbs and lower LDLs.  #1 goal.  Lots of fish, chicken, veggies, salad, avocado, etc.  Far less red meat and no processed stuff, including bacon, sausage what's on the charcuterie board. Also going to look at ways to lower inflammation in my body.  Turmeric and other remedies.  Maybe stay on the yoga train this time and use Headspace to relax a bit more.

She did say so much of this is luck or lack of, including genetics.  She had a patient who was super religious about his health.  Had an artery scan that showed 20% blockage.  They didn't recommend he do an angioplasty and it was too early for a med.  He had a heart attack the next week playing basketball.  She said just put the odds in your favor the best way you can and listen to your body.  Physicals, blood work, etc.  

Jesus christ.   Its crazy how someone can be in really good shape and have something like that happening.  59 is way too young.   Glad you're ok.   Those pelotons are dangerous.  
Just being a middle aged male is enough. He didn’t give all his numbers, but his baseline 10 year risk of a heart attack or death is between 6-10.5%. The average risk is 13%. Check out the Calculator

Wow that's high.  Stay on your statins amigo.  Doctors told me my biggest risk is not taking meds.  People have a stent put in and then stop taking blood thinners because they don't like the occasional purple bruise on their arms.  So put their life at risk over vanity.  

Update - had a fantastic meeting with the Cardiologist who did my procedure.  Was sort of nervous that they called me asking if I could get in same day vs appointment anytime during the week as said at hospital.  She said it looked to be a freak thing.  Actually didn't even have much plaque in the LAD and all others perfectly clean.  Piece likely broke off/ruptured and caused bleeding and coagulation to fully close the artery.  Fact that I was in surgery so fast after the episode likely limited any long term damage and I should be as good as new.  She did an EKG and was normal.  Blood pressure normal including heart rate.  Did prescribe me baby aspirin that somehow my PCP missed.  Said to make sure I stayed hydrated, moderate salt, moderate drinking (2 glasses of wine OK for Christmas Eve party).  Doing an ultrasound the day after Christmas and was referred to the Cardiac Rehab program.  She likes that I'm already walking 30-60 minutes a day.  Said my choice if I want to work or not - "if it causes you to stress don't work. If you're more stressed by missing out then work".  I'm going to just check in a few times a day as we close out the Sales year but that's it. No flying for a month.  I didn't ask about the secks but will when I get my ultrasound. Kidded with my wife that she should have asked since she was in the room! I do exercise a lot, don't smoke and for the most part have a good diet.  I'm going to drop 15 lbs and lower LDLs.  #1 goal.  Lots of fish, chicken, veggies, salad, avocado, etc.  Far less red meat and no processed stuff, including bacon, sausage what's on the charcuterie board. Also going to look at ways to lower inflammation in my body.  Turmeric and other remedies.  Maybe stay on the yoga train this time and use Headspace to relax a bit more.

She did say so much of this is luck or lack of, including genetics.  She had a patient who was super religious about his health.  Had an artery scan that showed 20% blockage.  They didn't recommend he do an angioplasty and it was too early for a med.  He had a heart attack the next week playing basketball.  She said just put the odds in your favor the best way you can and listen to your body.  Physicals, blood work, etc.  
Glad you’re OK, but omitting aspirin in a patient who was just stented is a pretty serious mistake. I assume you’re taking another blood thinner as well?

Glad you’re OK, but omitting aspirin in a patient who was just stented is a pretty serious mistake. I assume you’re taking another blood thinner as well?
Yeah. Taking baby aspirin now. They just somehow omitted it from original order. As for blood thinner I’m on Brilinta

Just being a middle aged male is enough. He didn’t give all his numbers, but his baseline 10 year risk of a heart attack or death is between 6-10.5%. The average risk is 13%. Check out the Calculator
The only number I know for that calculator is my age.   Had my physical last year and doc said I was all good.   I never remember anything they measure that they tell me.  I'm only 42, but if I was Judge's age and eating all the good stuff I eat and getting all the exercise that I get and I still had a heart attack, forget it.   Stick a fork in me.    Its just not meant to be.   

Yeah. Taking baby aspirin now. They just somehow omitted it from original order. As for blood thinner I’m on Brilinta
Great. Taking both meds for at least 1 year is standard of care. Unless there were extenuating circumstances,  I’d consider looking for a new primary doctor if (s)he missed prescribing aspirin. I also wonder why the cardiologists missed it at hospital discharge.

The only number I know for that calculator is my age.   Had my physical last year and doc said I was all good.   I never remember anything they measure that they tell me.  I'm only 42, but if I was Judge's age and eating all the good stuff I eat and getting all the exercise that I get and I still had a heart attack, forget it.   Stick a fork in me.    Its just not meant to be.   
Meh. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Pretty much the floor for middle aged and older dudes is 5-10% risk, which means at least 1 in 20 are going to have an event. Even if they do everything “right”.

So far so good. 10 sessions of cardiac rehab. Back to regular workouts except for Peleton. Monitored blood pressure twice a day for a month. Took all meds and stayed religious with diet. No red meat except for a filet at Hell’s Kitchen. Lots of fish and chicken. No processed stuff. No full fat dairy. Mostly almond milk for coffee. 

Big impact in blood work in 2 months.  Cholesterol now at 160 total. Dropped 52 points. LDL dropped 40 points and both LDL AND HDL are in range. Triglycerides dropped 56 points, under 100 now.   Blood pressure before my stress test today was 117/76. Stress test went great as have all exams. Got an Apple Watch and monitoring heart rate all the time. At least putting odds in my favor best I can. Determined to be around awhile. 

Oh yeah - and shot a best ever 2 under on the back 9 at our club last week!

Users who are viewing this thread