What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Zach Ertz, WAS (1 Viewer)

Ertz went TE11 on average in the (redraft) PDSLs. Here are the 10 TEs going ahead of him:

Graham

Gronk

J Thomas

Cameron

Davis

Witten

Rudolph

Pitta

Olsen

Reed

Granted, the first 6 are ahead of Ertz because they deserve to be. But Ertz probably has higher upside than any of the latter 4 (with the possible exception of Reed - then again, Ertz doesn't have Reed's concussion history, either). While I wouldn't reach for him ahead of those guys, I'm a buyer at his current price all day long and would have no problems rolling with him as my TE1. But somehow, I get the sinking feeling he isn't going to be going off the board at TE11 by the time August rolls around.

Its early but I'll be targeting him in the 5-8 round range in redraft. I think hes top 3 this year.

Insein said:
Its early but I'll be targeting him in the 5-8 round range in redraft. I think hes top 3 this year.
Really?
Yes. You saw his upswing towards the end of last year. Kelly wants to use him. I think Ertz has the talent too. Add in getting rid of Desean and I think this is the guy Kelly wants to replace most of the production with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

GM Howie Roseman said TE Zach Ertz is primed for a bigger role in the passing game this season.
It's not just media and fantasy pundits projecting big things for Ertz. The Eagles coaches and front office expect it as well. Ertz had 36 catches on 56 targets last season while playing 41 percent of the snaps. This year, we're expecting a ton of "12" formations out of the Eagles, something they clearly foresaw while releasing DeSean Jackson and Jason Avant. Ertz is going to be a featured, high-snap player.

Source: Geoff Mosher on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer says Zach Ertz has the best chance to "dramatically increase his numbers" with DeSean Jackson gone.
"I think Zach can have a huge role," coach Chip Kelly said. Beat writer Jeff McLane notes that the Eagles had a first-round grade on Ertz when they took him 35th overall last season, and also points to a history of Year 2 production from elite NFL tight ends. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski and Jason Witten all saw massive statistical leaps as sophomores. An every-down mismatch at 6'5/250, Ertz is going to be featured this season.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Rotoworld:

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Zach Ertz "seems to be devoting himself" to improving as a blocker.

Ertz's poor blocking cost him snaps to James Casey last season. Ertz is ticketed for a big role either way in 2014, but could become a near every-down player if he shores up his blocking.

Jun 10 - 6:01 PM

Zach Ertz- TE - Eagles
Eagles tight ends coach Ted Williams said Zach Ertz has similar tools to Shannon Sharpe and Ozzie Newsome.
Sharpe and Newsome are two of eight tight ends in the Hall of Fame. Ertz is obviously nowhere near that stratosphere yet, but he has the unique size (6'5/250) and athletic traits to be a difference-maker. "He's an excellent route runner. Guys that big and run that well and have the skills and tools to be precise – body control, strength, size, leverage – I think they're different. There aren't a lot of them like that," Williams said. Ertz is going to be a major part of the Eagles' plan to replace DeSean Jackson, and is one of our favorite back-end TE1s.

Source: Wilmington News Journal
Jun 19 - 12:00 PM

I hope the kool aid drinkers are right. I have him in a few leagues and honestly never thought he could be top five but I'll sure take it if it comes to be

top 3? no... I'd still draft graham, gronk, thomas, olsen, pitta, reed (if healthy), and cameron over him. so.. top 8. :P

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles
OC Pat Shurmur said Zach Ertz "made the biggest improvement" among his tight ends.
Tight ends that are going to be great typically make a giant leap forward in Year 2, and Ertz is on that path. By getting stronger as a blocker and more comfortable in the scheme, he's expected to play more snaps as the Eagles replace the combined 120 receptions made by DeSean Jackson and Jason Avant last season. We've seen nothing to suggest the buzz Ertz earned during the offseason as a breakout player was unwarranted, and he's an excellent back-end TE1 with upside.

Aug 1 - 9:17 AM

Pulling a Faust:

Philly Mag's Sheil Kapadia says Zach Ertz is "going to be the most utilized pass-catching weapon the Eagles have in the red zone."

At 6'5/250 with strong route-running chops and excellent high-pointing ability, Ertz will be a weekly mismatch. We started to see some of that in the red zone last year, as he had five touchdowns across the final nine games of the season (including playoffs). "It would not surprise me one bit if he led the team in receiving touchdowns," Kapadia wrote. Ertz brings upside at the back of the TE1 rankings.

Seems like the news just keeps flowing out positive for him.

top 3? no... I'd still draft graham, gronk, thomas, olsen, pitta, reed (if healthy), and cameron over him. so.. top 8. :P
Not where you draft them. Its where they finish.
I'm not ready to put him over the top 3 guys there (assuming Gronk healthy), but an argument can probably be made for him as the 4th-best TE. His current ADP appears to 125 (TE12) and I think that would be a great value if he actually stays there.

Long Ball Larry said:
I'm not ready to put him over the top 3 guys there (assuming Gronk healthy), but an argument can probably be made for him as the 4th-best TE. His current ADP appears to 125 (TE12) and I think that would be a great value if he actually stays there.
12 does seem low. 4 may be high though. Over Reed or Pitta or Vernon?

Last year didn't the team use the TE position based on matchup/situation? Is that a risk this year for him? And while I know this is the Ertz thread I feel that this is the same risk for Clay in Miami.

Long Ball Larry said:
12 does seem low. 4 may be high though. Over Reed or Pitta or Vernon?
Fair. Maybe too soon to go over Vernon, but it would not surprise me if he ends up ahead of Reed or Pitta.

Last year didn't the team use the TE position based on matchup/situation? Is that a risk this year for him? And while I know this is the Ertz thread I feel that this is the same risk for Clay in Miami.
Yes, somewhat true, but he really was non-existent for about the first third of the season and still ended up at 56-469-4. If that is 2/3 of production, he is at 84-703-6. In non-PPR, that's 106 points, which would have put him at 9th last year. 1 of those guys was Gonzalez, who was gone.

So there is an argument that TE8 is about where he should be. All reports about him in camp are glowing, so to me, his realistic upside is TE5.

Yes, somewhat true, but he really was non-existent for about the first third of the season and still ended up at 56-469-4. If that is 2/3 of production, he is at 84-703-6. In non-PPR, that's 106 points, which would have put him at 9th last year. 1 of those guys was Gonzalez, who was gone.

So there is an argument that TE8 is about where he should be. All reports about him in camp are glowing, so to me, his realistic upside is TE5.
I would be happy to have him available as the 7-8th Te available to me in a draft.

In no particular order, once Graham, Gronk, Thomas, Vernon, Witten, Cameron are gone, I like him every bit as much as reed, Pitta, Green, Vikes/Panthers, Clay, and that entire group of Tes that seem similar.

Rotoworld:

According to CSN Philly, Zach Ertz stood out in this week's joint practices with the Patriots.
The Pats agreed. "He’s a great player," were the words of RE Chandler Jones. "He’s very athletic. He’s faster than I thought." S Devin McCourty said Ertz "understands how to get open against good defenses." All signs are pointing toward an Ertz breakout this season. Particularly if Jeremy Maclin (knee) can't stay on the field, Ertz could be primed to leap into elite TE1 heights.

Source: CSN Philly

Rotoworld:

Nick Foles compared Zach Ertz to Rob Gronkowski for Ertz's ability to "stretch the defense," "make tough catches," and "thrive on athleticism."

Keep in mind Gronk was Foles' tight end at the University of Arizona. Ertz ran a faster forty time (4.67) at their respective pre-draft Pro Days, and also had a better vertical (35 1/2") than Gronk (33 1/2), although Gronk is just over an inch taller and nine pounds heavier. Still, Foles sees them as comparable athletes and the measurables agree. All signs point to a breakout year for Ertz.

Source: Geoff Hobson on Twitter

Aug 16 - 2:36 PM

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

Zach Ertz played 52-of-87 (60 percent) of the offensive snaps in the Eagles' Week 1 win over Jacksonville.

Ertz started in the slot, but moved around the formation. He saw just five targets, but turned them into three catches for 77 yards and one touchdown. The Jaguars were one of the worst teams when it came to defending tight ends in 2013, but Ertz is a red-zone dominator who has six touchdowns in his last ten games. Playing 60 percent of the snaps is an increase on his 41-percent usage as a rookie. Fire Ertz up as a TE1 for Week 2 against the Colts.

Sep 8 - 9:14 AM

Still kinda down about his snap count/utilization. Would like to see more than 5 targets too. Hope thats his target floor and not his target ceiling.

At least Indy showed that they can get smoked by the TE this week.

Still kinda down about his snap count/utilization. Would like to see more than 5 targets too. Hope thats his target floor and not his target ceiling.

Was surprised at his low target total, but if he keeps making the plays that will only go up

Was surprised at his low target total, but if he keeps making the plays that will only go up
There are lots of mouths to feed in that offense, but I have a feeling Ertz will be among the larger ones going forward.

So are the colts really that bad at covering tight ends? Or are Thomas/broncos just that good? He's real tempting this week if the colts can't cover him

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz caught 4-of-6 targets for 81 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 win over the Colts on Monday night.

Outside of Darren Sproles, Ertz was the Eagles' leading receiver. But after playing 60 percent of the snaps in Week 1, we'd bet that number dipped in Week 2. He just wasn't on the field enough despite making highlight-reel catches when he did touch the ball. Ertz had a big catch on a 3rd-and-11 when he went up and got the ball to set up LeSean McCoy's one-yard touchdown. He's a back-end TE1 thanks to his playmaking ability, but we want to see more usage.

Sep 16 - 12:16 AM

This guy breaks my heart. Not his fault. I allowed myself to think he's gonna break into that Julius Thomas realm. So an 80-yard game tends to disappoint me. I know that's absurd. Just wishful thinking that he skyrockets.

He's on pace for 1300 / 8 in year two and people are complaining about snap count and targets? Seriously?
That's only because he's averaging over 23 yds per catch. That number will come down. Unless he sees more targets and playing time, so will his points. 23+ yds per catch is unsustainable for a WR, let alone a TE.

Every time they throw him the ball you can just see the upside in him. If they would use him the way the elite TEs are used in this league he would be one of them.

He's on pace for 1300 / 8 in year two and people are complaining about snap count and targets? Seriously?
That's only because he's averaging over 23 yds per catch. That number will come down. Unless he sees more targets and playing time, so will his points. 23+ yds per catch is unsustainable for a WR, let alone a TE.
Don't disagree -- but from what I've seen, he's running a ton of deep seam routes, so I'd bet on his YPC staying pretty high (obviously not the ridiculous 23+ though) unless his usage changes significantly. Kelly's offense seems pretty unique to me -- seems like he uses his bigger weapons (Cooper, TEs) more vertically while using his speed guys (Maclin, DJax last year, the RBs) to attack the defense more horizontally.

Either way, if Ertz is getting 4 / 80 vs 5 / 60 like a traditional TE it doesn't seem like a reason to complain too much to me. The guy is a weapon, was drafted late, and is putting up TE1 numbers.

Every time they throw him the ball you can just see the upside in him. If they would use him the way the elite TEs are used in this league he would be one of them.
Its coming. Foles has been a bit shaky these first two games. He threw behind him at the 6 yard line that would have been a sure TD. When he gets going, Ertz will be a monster.

Its coming. Foles has been a bit shaky these first two games. He threw behind him at the 6 yard line that would have been a sure TD. When he gets going, Ertz will be a monster.
Exactly.

I guess I'm not concerned about his snap count so much as why they didn't look for him all the times they were inside the 10 yard line? Thought that was his thing. Or maybe field goals are their thing, I dunno...

Exactly.
Seems like it is trending that way. especially with playing time and Celek all but disappearing. Only thing that looked odd to me last night was the number of looks Riley got near and in the end zone.

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

Zach Ertz played on 52-of-68 snaps in Monday night's win over the Colts.

Ertz played 41 percent of the snaps as a rookie, 60 percent in Week 1 and now 76 percent in Week 2. It obviously helped that the Eagles trailed for just about the entire game, but featuring Ertz is not rocket science. He's turned 10 targets into a 7-163-1 line so far, showing unique body control and agility at 6'5/250. Ertz's target count should only keep growing.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

Sep 16 - 9:55 AM

Users who are viewing this thread