What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Team Base Defenses 2021 (1 Viewer)

RamblinIrish

Footballguy
I have been trying to determine which defensive fronts/schemes teams will be using this year.

I know a lot of teams change based upon situation, but our league uses these base defenses to determine positions.

This is especially important at the DE/OLB position.  Our league does not use EDGE as a position.

Here is what I have been able to determine for the teams for the coming year.  

I'm interested in hearing other opinions or validation on what I think.

Thanks

ARZ 3-4

ATL changing to 3-4?

BAL 3-4

BUF 4-3

CAR 4-3

CHI 3-4

CIN 4-3

CLE 4-3

DAL 4-3

DEN 3-4

DET 3-4

GB 3-4

HOU 4-3

IND 4-3

JAX changing to 3-4?

KC 4-3

LV 4-3

LAC 3-4

LAR 3-4

MIA 3-4

MIN 4-3

NE 3-4

NO 4-3

NYG 3-4

NYJ 4-3

PHI 4-3

PIT 3-4

SF 4-3

SEA 4-3

TB 3-4

TEN 3-4

WAS 4-3

Is

I have been trying to determine which defensive fronts/schemes teams will be using this year.

I know a lot of teams change based upon situation, but our league uses these base defenses to determine positions.

This is especially important at the DE/OLB position.  Our league does not use EDGE as a position.

Here is what I have been able to determine for the teams for the coming year.  

I'm interested in hearing other opinions or validation on what I think.

Thanks

ARZ 3-4

ATL changing to 3-4?

BAL 3-4

BUF 4-3

CAR 4-3

CHI 3-4

CIN 4-3

CLE 4-3

DAL 4-3

DEN 3-4

DET 3-4

GB 3-4

HOU 4-3

IND 4-3

JAX changing to 3-4?

KC 4-3

LV 4-3

LAC 3-4

LAR 3-4

MIA 3-4

MIN 4-3

NE 3-4

NO 4-3

NYG 3-4

NYJ 4-3

PHI 4-3

PIT 3-4

SF 4-3

SEA 4-3

TB 3-4

TEN 3-4

WAS 4-3
Is Detroit 3-4 official? If so, Flowers and Okwara will be changed to LB I assume?

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't matter for EDGE purposes, but Cleveland's base isn't 4-3; it's nickel. In most matchups I think there will be more dime than 4-3. So this very much matters for LB purposes.
I think that's generally true across the league.  Nobody lines up in a 4-3 very often any more, it's more likely to be 4-2-5 nickel.  Summary from Tom Kislingbury:

In football’s past 3 linebackers were deployed on most snaps.  And they were often aligned to offensive strength.

That’s just not true any more.  The 2020 deployed 2 or fewer linebackers on 86% of regular season snaps.

I think that's generally true across the league.  Nobody lines up in a 4-3 very often any more, it's more likely to be 4-2-5 nickel.  Summary from Tom Kislingbury:
I agree, but I think the Browns intend to take it further than their contemporaries. Couldn't last year because they just didn't have the bodies, they were already a bit thin then lost Delpit and Greedy before the season started. This offseason John Johnson, Troy Hill, and Greg Newsome were added. Among the 5 'lost' 2 are out of football and the other 3 are backups on bad defenses. The second best defender in last year's secondary wasn't acquired until 9 days before the opener  :lol:

There are a lot of different potential outcomes 2 months from now (then obviously beyond), but the only two I'd bet on getting 100% snaps right now are Johnson and Ward. 

The key on the base defense noted above is if the front is 4 or 3, ultimately trying to confirm if the edge is a DE or OLB.  For that purpose 4-3 and 4-2-5 is the same difference….the edge is a DE

Users who are viewing this thread