What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Audible - week 11 - WAIVER WIRE SPECIAL (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
http://podcast.footballguys.com/2008/Footb...008-Vol291a.mp3

In This Episode: Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom highlight some of the best waiver wire gems, and tell you what players to avoid. Topics Include: who is the Denver RB to pick up, could Ahmad Bradshaw see an increased role for the Giants as they start their playoff run, where will David Garrard turn while Matt Jones is suspended, plus more!

enjoy! :lmao:

subscribe to The Audible on itunes, it's free!
SWEET. Thanks

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2008/Footb...008-Vol291a.mp3

In This Episode: Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom highlight some of the best waiver wire gems, and tell you what players to avoid. Topics Include: who is the Denver RB to pick up, could Ahmad Bradshaw see an increased role for the Giants as they start their playoff run, where will David Garrard turn while Matt Jones is suspended, plus more!

enjoy! :)

subscribe to The Audible on itunes, it's free!
SWEET. Thanks
WOOO HOOOOOOO!
:2cents: Thanks for listening as always guys!Monday is the day that we re-watch all the games, and since there's no 5 Minute Drill we wanted to talk some more football!

we will be doing this every week from here on out.

WOOO HOOOOOOO!
Cecil,Just heard the Waiver Wire special. Great! Thank you very much. You guys read minds. I was just thiinking how valuable such a show would be early in the weak before waivers were due.Any chance of posting in the shark pool a relative value list for the mentioned players? I understand that league scoring varies greatly, so its not exact. Bob Henry a couple of years ago used to post his thoughts on relative value of waiver wire pickups. I in particular, am interesting the the relative value of the tight ends referenced in a .5 PPR league. thank you

I think this show is a great idea. I understand you've had to do 5 minute drill, but I'll be listening every week going forward.

Positional breakdown is how I feel about picking them up based on other WW pickups at their position (1: GET HIM, 5: avoid)

LT is the long term view for 2008 (1: a guy that will have value for the rest of the year, 5: a guy that may be good for a week or two)

Here's the list of guys we mentioned on the show:

Troy Smith QB: 4, LT: 4

Joe Flacco has a strong hold on this job, and would continue to be the starter even if he was struggling.

Craig Nall QB: 4 LT: 5

Sage Rosenfels is Capt. Turnover, but it was a bad game vs the Ravens. Snatch up Rosenfels if an owner becomes dismayed with him.

JP Losman QB: 3, LT: 4

Lee Evans owners are hoping for a switch here. the entire Buffalo team is struggling, and Trent Edwards just got the vote of confidence from **** Jauron.

(protect your starters)

Byron Leftwich

Billy Volek

Kevin Kolb

these are all QBs that we know can produce.

RB

Cadillac Williams RB: 3, LT: 4

pick him up if he gets activated off the PUP list on Wednesday. we've seen plenty of backs come back from major injuries. wait for the activation, but strike quick if he's called up.

Peyton Hillis RB: 1, LT: 2

the number one waiver wire pickup this week. earned the trust of coach Shanahan with that 4th down run. He is the starter and will be given every chance as the main RB, plus a great receiver on a PASS FIRST team.

Shaun Alexander RB: 2, LT: 4

Portis is 50/50 to play this week according to Jim Zorn. Has the crazy workload finally caught up with CP?

Dominic Rhodes RB: 1, LT: 2

has looked better than Addai this year. JA could be banged up, and the Colts are secretive about injuries.

Jerome Harrison RB: 3, LT: 3

this guy needs to get the ball more. with Brady Quinn throwing short all day (his downfield accuracy over 15 yards is-and always has been poor) could we see Harrison more involved on screens/swings.

Ryan Moats RB: 3, LT: 3

Ahman Green is still healthy, and most of his yards against the Ravens came when the game was out of hand. came from a zone blocking scheme at LaTech, so he could be the next Houston RB to emerge at the end of the season.

Pierre Thomas RB: 2, LT: 2

we shall see if Bush can come back at full strength. the McAllister suspension may still be coming

Ahmad Bradshaw RB: 1, LT: 2

do the Giants sit Jacobs as we near the fantasy playoffs to keep him fresh? Do Ward and Bradshaw take over (and continue to dominate)?

Who is an injury away on a Run Heavy Team?

Correll Buckhalter

Kevin Jones

Chester Taylor

Chris Henry

WR

Justin Gage WR: 2, LT: 3

Brandon Jones WR: 2, LT: 3

do the Titans pass a little bit more because teams are going to try and shut down their run game

Brandon Lloyd WR: 2, LT: 3

he did some exciting things earlier in the year, coming back from injury many have forgotten about him, but he'll have to prove himself all over again.

Mark Bradley WR: 1, LT: 1

gives the Chiefs 2 big targets on the outside, plus Tony Gonzales makes Thigpens job a lot easier. makes a nice WR3/flex starter each week.

Malcolm Floyd WR: 1, LT: 2

more productive than Chris Chambers, could continue to emerge in this dangerous passing game

Anthony Gonzalez WR: 1, LT: 2

with Harrison struggling, does Peyton look more for the youngster. The Steelers were rumored to have Harrison single covered as part of their game plan.

Deion Branch WR: 5, LT: 5

I personally am done with Branch as he gets hurt too much, Bobby Engram or Hasselbeck are the Seahawks to look for on the wire/trade.

Jerry Porter WR: 2 LT: 3

he's been worked more into the offense recently, with Matt Jones suspension looming Porter will be the main guy. tough run defenses ahead means a lot of passing for Jacksonville

Shaun McDonald WR: 4, LT: 4

only if you're desperate

Mark Clayton WR: 3, LT: 3

how bad is Derrick Mason banged up? Clayton will benefit if DM is out.

TE

Billy Miller TE: 1, LT: 1

he's the Saints TE to own, the team is fed up with Shockey and Brees looks to him often.

Daniel Graham TE: 3, LT: 3

with the Broncos set to air it out more than ever could Graham finally show those hands that we saw at CU?

Dustin Keller TE: 1, LT: 2

he's a big slot receiver for this team, the WRs may be up and down but Keller could be the most consistent receiver for the Jets

Matt Spaeth TE: 3, LT: 4

If Heath Miller is healthy Spaeth's value takes a big hit.

Thanks for listening! :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Positional breakdown is how I feel about picking them up based on other WW pickups at their position (1: GET HIM, 5: avoid)

LT is the long term view for 2008 (1: a guy that will have value for the rest of the year, 5: a guy that may be good for a week or two)

Here's the list of guys we mentioned on the show:

Troy Smith QB: 4, LT: 4

Joe Flacco has a strong hold on this job, and would continue to be the starter even if he was struggling.

Craig Nall QB: 4 LT: 5

Sage Rosenfels is Capt. Turnover, but it was a bad game vs the Ravens. Snatch up Rosenfels if an owner becomes dismayed with him.

JP Losman QB: 3, LT: 4

Lee Evans owners are hoping for a switch here. the entire Buffalo team is struggling, and Trent Edwards just got the vote of confidence from **** Jauron.

(protect your starters)

Byron Leftwich

Billy Volek

Kevin Kolb

these are all QBs that we know can produce.

RB

Cadillac Williams RB: 3, LT: 4

pick him up if he gets activated off the PUP list on Wednesday. we've seen plenty of backs come back from major injuries. wait for the activation, but strike quick if he's called up.

Peyton Hillis RB: 1, LT: 2

the number one waiver wire pickup this week. earned the trust of coach Shanahan with that 4th down run. He is the starter and will be given every chance as the main RB, plus a great receiver on a PASS FIRST team.

Shaun Alexander RB: 2, LT: 4

Portis is 50/50 to play this week according to Jim Zorn. Has the crazy workload finally caught up with CP?

Dominic Rhodes RB: 1, LT: 2

has looked better than Addai this year. JA could be banged up, and the Colts are secretive about injuries.

Jerome Harrison RB: 3, LT: 3

this guy needs to get the ball more. with Brady Quinn throwing short all day (his downfield accuracy over 15 yards is-and always has been poor) could we see Harrison more involved on screens/swings.

Ryan Moats RB: 3, LT: 3

Ahman Green is still healthy, and most of his yards against the Ravens came when the game was out of hand. came from a zone blocking scheme at LaTech, so he could be the next Houston RB to emerge at the end of the season.

Pierre Thomas RB: 2, LT: 2

we shall see if Bush can come back at full strength. the McAllister suspension may still be coming

Ahmad Bradshaw RB: 1, LT: 2

do the Giants sit Jacobs as we near the fantasy playoffs to keep him fresh? Do Ward and Bradshaw take over (and continue to dominate)?

Who is an injury away on a Run Heavy Team?

Correll Buckhalter

Kevin Jones

Chester Taylor

Chris Henry

WR

Justin Gage WR: 2, LT: 3

Brandon Jones WR: 2, LT: 3

do the Titans pass a little bit more because teams are going to try and shut down their run game

Brandon Lloyd WR: 2, LT: 3

he did some exciting things earlier in the year, coming back from injury many have forgotten about him, but he'll have to prove himself all over again.

Mark Bradley WR: 1, LT: 1

gives the Chiefs 2 big targets on the outside, plus Tony Gonzales makes Thigpens job a lot easier. makes a nice WR3/flex starter each week.

Malcolm Floyd WR: 1, LT: 2

more productive than Chris Chambers, could continue to emerge in this dangerous passing game

Anthony Gonzalez WR: 1, LT: 2

with Harrison struggling, does Peyton look more for the youngster. The Steelers were rumored to have Harrison single covered as part of their game plan.

Deion Branch WR: 5, LT: 5

I personally am done with Branch as he gets hurt too much, Bobby Engram or Hasselbeck are the Seahawks to look for on the wire/trade.

Jerry Porter WR: 2 LT: 3

he's been worked more into the offense recently, with Matt Jones suspension looming Porter will be the main guy. tough run defenses ahead means a lot of passing for Jacksonville

Shaun McDonald WR: 4, LT: 4

only if you're desperate

Mark Clayton WR: 3, LT: 3

how bad is Derrick Mason banged up? Clayton will benefit if DM is out.

TE

he's the Saints TE to own, the team is fed up with Shockey and Brees looks to him often.

with the Broncos set to air it out more than ever could Graham finally show those hands that we saw at CU?

he's a big slot receiver for this team, the WRs may be up and down but Keller could be the most consistent receiver for the Jets

Thanks for listening! :thumbup:
thank you very muchCecil, more detail than I even asked for!

You guys are awesome!

Hillis' job as the starter is in question with the signing of Tatum Bell. It comes down to game shape, if Tater is ready he'll get some carries. i still believe that hillis will be HEAVILY involved in this offense going forward. Stay tuned I'm running down more Bell information.

Cecil Lammey said:
Hillis' job as the starter is in question with the signing of Tatum Bell. It comes down to game shape, if Tater is ready he'll get some carries. i still believe that hillis will be HEAVILY involved in this offense going forward. Stay tuned I'm running down more Bell information.
Does this mean Tatum Bell is now motivated?

Cecil Lammey said:
Stooooooooooooop already. Please.

Who is the better RB to pick up from the Giants, Bradshaw or Ward?
Ward is proving his worth, even when the game is close and Jacobs is healthy. So long as Ward is healthy he is the better pickup IMHO because he is getting consistent playing time now. It's my theory that the Giants will rest Jacobs as they get closer to their playoff run. As we saw last year, Bradshaw is pretty awesome himself - and could help many teams to a fantasy championship this year.

Great stuff. I don't think there's anything with this level of detail anywhere in Fantasy Football Cyberspace.

Thanks, fellas!

Great stuff. I don't think there's anything with this level of detail anywhere in Fantasy Football Cyberspace.Thanks, fellas!
thanks for listening Black (and everyone)!When we were talking about Craig Nall I thought that other than Construxboys dreams, no one is even THINKING of Nall. :rolleyes:

Ward is proving his worth, even when the game is close and Jacobs is healthy. So long as Ward is healthy he is the better pickup IMHO because he is getting consistent playing time now. It's my theory that the Giants will rest Jacobs as they get closer to their playoff run. As we saw last year, Bradshaw is pretty awesome himself - and could help many teams to a fantasy championship this year.
Interesting theory Cecil, but I don't think there's any basis for it at this point. I don't see the roles changing significantly if all three remain healthy. And I don't see Coughlin resting guys after the experience of week 17 last year.

Interesting theory Cecil, but I don't think there's any basis for it at this point. I don't see the roles changing significantly if all three remain healthy. And I don't see Coughlin resting guys after the experience of week 17 last year.
I definitely see your point. Last year's week 17 game was so important because it meant nothing to either team (in the playoff picture), it started momentum for the Giants, and the Giants proved to themselves that they could play with anybody after the way they played the Patriots in that game. I believe that it's a little bit of a different story when you're on top of the mountain. We will see if/how soon they can lock up the division, and then home field advantage. If they lock up the NFCE and a first round bye we may see them resting guys like Jacobs.

Any thoughts on Josh Morgan? He's still available in all of my leagues. How would you compare him to guys like Bradly and Floyd at WR?

Cecil Lammey said:
:thumbdown: :deadhorse:

I think you're way off. The situation is not the same, AT ALL. So, his decision will be based on what's best IN/FOR the playoffs; not GOING in. Totally different than last year. You can bet he'll rest Jacobs if they're still on top. Basically, the Giants don't need momentum or confidence right now.And nice work Loommey! :deadhorse:

Excellent summary... more valuable and insightful than the Offensive Upgrades/Waiver! Thanks so much.

Now if we could just get the first pass at projections on Tuesday evening...in advance of the waiver wire running at midnight... we would be all set.

is hillis officially the starter? i've been trying to stay away from the denver backfield but this is tempting.

I don't think there's any official word, and you'll be lucky to get one before the game starts.

monitor practice reports, but if you need to make a decision before thursday you're rolling dice.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be hillis, but christ knows....maybe it'll be pope.

TE

Thanks for listening! :lmao:
Cecil, do you have the latest on Sheffler ?Or should I take a look at one of those TE, I'm really tempted to grag Billy Miller.

Cecil Lammey said:
Cecil, any news on Tatum Bellhop vs Hillis?You seem high on Floyd, would you value him higher than Javon Walker in dynasty? I'm thinking I'm hanging onto fools gold with Walker.

TE

Thanks for listening! :nerd:
Cecil, do you have the latest on Sheffler ?Or should I take a look at one of those TE, I'm really tempted to grag Billy Miller.
as of right now I've heard nothing about a re-aggravation, and he should be a full go this week. We shall see if he can get through a game without getting banged up/shaken up. I love the guy, but man does he get beat up!

"This is Gold Jerry,,,Gold!!!"

Now I just wish we could take this discussion over to the Assistant Coaches Forum in order to breath some sage advice into that forum mixed with unique situations and scoring systems.

Example: I'm feeling light at RB to WIN my league with ADP, Chris Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Peyton Hillis, Chester Taylor and Jamaal Charles. I just dropped Jamaal Charles for Cadillac Williams because Charles is injured ankle/knee and LJ is coming back and although JC is very talented, IMO, KC still hasn't used him to catch the ball and with the return of LJ and his injury that JC won't get the opportunities to have the same upside that Cadillac Williams could have.

I'm laughing at the post that comments that we don't have 20 extra roster spots and at the same time, I'm concerned that rolling the dice on these new guys is taking a step backwards from other options on my roster. These are the tough decisions that make or break a season. Pickups this week are crucial, IMO since time is becoming short and there are a fair number of bogeys to shoot at.

Here's another issue: Who's got more value between J Stewart and Chester Taylor? Taylor will be the man when/if something happens to ADP so he's good insurance. J Stewart may be good if/when Williams gets hurt. My decision at this point basically has come down to my opinion that ADP is more likely to get injured than Williams so I'm putting more value in Chester Taylor. What do you think.

BTW, I think I've elevated this above the basic Assistant Coaches Forum topic by giving my opinion and boiling it down to an evaluation between two players instead of a ranking of my entire roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on Josh Morgan? He's still available in all of my leagues. How would you compare him to guys like Bradly and Floyd at WR?
I love the guy. I talked to Eddie Royal on Friday and we spoke about his former college teammate. Eddie said that Josh was fired up about starting and was ready to light up the league. We saw what he could do Monday night, but we also saw him in and out of the lineup due to a groin issue. Apparently there are concerns from inside the team about this injury.throw in his horrible QB situation (singletary said Hill was on a week to week basis as the starter) and that puts Morgan's value lower than both Bradley and Floyd.

;)

Excellent summary... more valuable and insightful than the Offensive Upgrades/Waiver! Thanks so much.

Now if we could just get the first pass at projections on Tuesday evening...in advance of the waiver wire running at midnight... we would be all set.
;) I couldn't agree more!

Cecil Lammey said:
Cecil, any news on Tatum Bellhop vs Hillis?You seem high on Floyd, would you value him higher than Javon Walker in dynasty? I'm thinking I'm hanging onto fools gold with Walker.
Wyoming Cowboys baby! :excited:Walker is done in the NFL. Even if he gets out of Oakland I see his career path following that of Ashley Lelie.Floyd, on the other hand, may be showing just the tip of the iceberg. He may have to go to another team, or maybe Chris Chambers moves on - but either way this guy is a legit player.He's not the most crisp route runner but he has FANTASTIC hands, and with his tall frame he knows how to use it to shield the ball away from defenders. He has good run after the catch ability, and knows how to make DBs miss as they approach him. He won't be a WR1 for fantasy, or in the NFL - but he's great on a dynasty squad.

I love the guy. I talked to Eddie Royal on Friday and we spoke about his former college teammate. Eddie said that Josh was fired up about starting and was ready to light up the league. We saw what he could do Monday night, but we also saw him in and out of the lineup due to a groin issue. Apparently there are concerns from inside the team about this injury.throw in his horrible QB situation (singletary said Hill was on a week to week basis as the starter) and that puts Morgan's value lower than both Bradley and Floyd.

:hot:
Thanks for the opinion Cecil. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread