What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

Had a great time yesterday at the parade.Had no issues and the crowd did seem a bit larger than expected but it's really hard to tell being in the middle of all that.Did they ever release an official number yet?

Ready for the next parade following a back to back Cup run!
I haven't seen a number yet.  Only complaint that I would have is that it was a bit hard to hear the speakers at the rally, but maybe it was just where I was standing.

And my only regret is that I forgot to put on sunscreen (which is a bad idea for a pale redhead), but I just guess I will be "rocking the red" for a few more days.

One thing the city and fans should be really proud of is the lack of disturbances and idiocy that normally follows these type of events in numerous cities.Last I had heard was no arrests made yesterday and only 1 the night of winning the Cup.Bravo D.C. and fans of the Caps :thumbup:

One thing the city and fans should be really proud of is the lack of disturbances and idiocy that normally follows these type of events in numerous cities.Last I had heard was no arrests made yesterday and only 1 the night of winning the Cup.Bravo D.C. and fans of the Caps :thumbup:
I heard a radio show or podcast where someone credited legalized weed for this.  That seems like a stretch but I'm also more than happy to push the narrative.

I heard a radio show or podcast where someone credited legalized weed for this.  That seems like a stretch but I'm also more than happy to push the narrative.
I'm pretty sure I had a contact buzz going yesterday with all the green being smoked around me.

Braving rush hour traffic between Baltimore and DC to meet up with some old friends at the Birchmere. Any recommendations for a pre-show dinner spot - Del Ray, or Potomac Yards, or somewhere in there?

Braving rush hour traffic between Baltimore and DC to meet up with some old friends at the Birchmere. Any recommendations for a pre-show dinner spot - Del Ray, or Potomac Yards, or somewhere in there?
My neck of the woods.  Any food type in particular?

North Side 10 is a favorite — pretty good BBQ. Del Ray Pizzeria for a pizza option. Evening Star a good southern food vibe.  Holy Cow is more of a fast casual option with some great burgers.

My neck of the woods.  Any food type in particular?

North Side 10 is a favorite — pretty good BBQ. Del Ray Pizzeria for a pizza option. Evening Star a good southern food vibe.  Holy Cow is more of a fast casual option with some great burgers.
Thank you - sitdown place with good beers and decent steaks / burgers kind of thing. I'll check out Evening Star and North Side 10. Thanks! Plus any other thoughts welcome.

Thank you - sitdown place with good beers and decent steaks / burgers kind of thing. I'll check out Evening Star and North Side 10. Thanks! Plus any other thoughts welcome.
Ok - those would be best two of the ones that I suggested.  I just had some Ocelot beer at Evening Star last weekend, if you want to try that given the FBG-Sebowski connection.

Del Ray Pizzeria does have burgers too (and good beer selection), but I don't think they do steaks (I've had Ocelot there in the past too).

A steak place you could look at is Del Ray Cafe.  A bit more upscale than the other places that I mentioned.  I go there for brunch a lot, but they've got good steaks on their dinner menu (menu is french-inspired).  I don't know about their beer selection though.

Annnddd... the Wilson Bridge is shut down due to multiple car fires. Every time I try to get from Baltimore to NoVA on a weekday, I swear I will never try it again. Not leaving for a few hours, but I am now assured of epic travel backups no matter how I try to get to Alexandria from here.

If you are in the mood for good cajun/creole food there is RT's, which is almost right across the street from the Birchmere. A relatively small casual place with good service.

At Evening Star, this place rules, as does the Ocelot Lucky You that I’m sucking down like a grapefruit juice. What did not rule was the 135-minute ride from Bmore and the traffic on southbound Route 1 which is backed up from Del Ray to the 95 on ramps. actually is probably backed up way further come to think of it. No word from my out of town friends who prob have no idea the hell theyre in for

At Evening Star, this place rules, as does the Ocelot Lucky You that I’m sucking down like a grapefruit juice. What did not rule was the 135-minute ride from Bmore and the traffic on southbound Route 1 which is backed up from Del Ray to the 95 on ramps. actually is probably backed up way further come to think of it. No word from my out of town friends who prob have no idea the hell theyre in for
Stoked you dig the beer!  :hifive:

I'm going to the Nats-Orioles game tonight with work people and we have a few extra tickets.  Anyone wanna come?  I will give you a free ticket and buy your first beer.  PM me if you're interested.

Me again,  

Coming to town this week.  Hitting up DC for a couple days before dropping off the kid at George Washington U for Public Policy camp (and the wife and I go to Savannah and Charleston on kid-free vacation)... 

Looking over the Senate Committee Hearings schedule... anyone know how easy/difficult it is to sit in one of those as a regular citizen?  Would we need to demonstrate a vested interest in the subject, or can we get a seat just as curious taxpayers interested in seeing the sausage get made?  Do we need to show up a couple hours early to get in?

Me again,  

Coming to town this week.  Hitting up DC for a couple days before dropping off the kid at George Washington U for Public Policy camp (and the wife and I go to Savannah and Charleston on kid-free vacation)... 

Looking over the Senate Committee Hearings schedule... anyone know how easy/difficult it is to sit in one of those as a regular citizen?  Would we need to demonstrate a vested interest in the subject, or can we get a seat just as curious taxpayers interested in seeing the sausage get made?  Do we need to show up a couple hours early to get in? 

Really?  You want to subject yourself to this?

Me again,  

Generally open to the public.  Ability to get in generally depends on how interesting a topic is, although there may be more competition than normal with summer interns around.  

Me again,  

GWU Alum. Looong time ago (1992) Are they staying in the dorms? If so where is your kid staying? (Curious!)

GWU Alum. Looong time ago (1992) Are they staying in the dorms? If so where is your kid staying? (Curious!)
Check-in is at the Mount Vernon campus. She’s been told to expect to stay in a four-person suite with bedrooms, a common area, and a bathroom.  Not sure which building.

We expect this to be a big adjustment for a kid who has always had her own bedroom and bathroom.  
Interesting. I don't think they had that when I went there. I was downtown all four years. The GW 'dorms' are (at least when I was there) cool because they are old apartments and hotels that they converted. Most had bathrooms in the room, and many had kitchens. For health code reasons, they had cleaners come thru but to only clean the bathrooms, and just for fun they would vacuum a small bit. Great place. Hope she has fun!!

Interesting. I don't think they had that when I went there. I was downtown all four years. The GW 'dorms' are (at least when I was there) cool because they are old apartments and hotels that they converted. Most had bathrooms in the room, and many had kitchens. For health code reasons, they had cleaners come thru but to only clean the bathrooms, and just for fun they would vacuum a small bit. Great place. Hope she has fun!!
GW acquired Mount Vernon when I was a student at GW -- late 90s.  Former women's school.  A lot of the outdoor athletic teams play over there now.

By the way, as something only an alum would appreciate, the School of Public Policy whose program his kid is going to is now named after SJT.

Last edited by a moderator:
GW acquired Mount Vernon when I was a student at GW -- late 90s.  Former women's school.  A lot of the outdoor athletic teams play over there now.

By the way, as something only an alum would appreciate, the School of Public Policy whose program his kid is going to is now named after SJT.
He started just about when I started there. In looking him up on Wiki, I saw this. Amazing...

When President Trachtenberg took office in 1988, tuition at GWU was $9,570, significantly below the national median of $11,330 for all four-year colleges.[7][8] When he left office in 2007, tuition was $37,790, among the highest in the nation and significantly above the national median of $30,226. Financial aid kept pace with tuition.

Interesting article in the Post today ahead of the ASG about the revitalization of the Navy Yard neighborhood.  Makes some interesting points about how this is one the few (only?) examples of public funding of a sports stadium actually mostly working as promised and the factors that made it so- most of the revenue comes from two neighboring states so you're not just moving money you're actually bringing it in, perfect location, etc. And of course it brings up some of the downside as well.  Also very cool to see the side-by-side pictures.

Interesting article in the Post today ahead of the ASG about the revitalization of the Navy Yard neighborhood.  Makes some interesting points about how this is one the few (only?) examples of public funding of a sports stadium actually mostly working as promised and the factors that made it so- most of the revenue comes from two neighboring states so you're not just moving money you're actually bringing it in, perfect location, etc. And of course it brings up some of the downside as well.  Also very cool to see the side-by-side pictures.
It's a really good neighborhood now. With Nats Park and Capital One Arena neighborhoods, DC has done a great job around two sports venues, leaving the next big question about what happens with the Redskins. Football stadiums are harder to integrate into an urban environment because of how much space they take and the usual desire for a lot of parking, but it will interesting to see if they go back to the city and whether it helps direct surrounding development.

I went to the Museum of the Bible last week. It's a really good addition to the DC museum scene, but I admit my view is potentially impacted by my faith being what it is. I know it's not likely everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's worth checking out if you are at all interested.

It's a really good neighborhood now. With Nats Park and Capital One Arena neighborhoods, DC has done a great job around two sports venues, leaving the next big question about what happens with the Redskins. Football stadiums are harder to integrate into an urban environment because of how much space they take and the usual desire for a lot of parking, but it will interesting to see if they go back to the city and whether it helps direct surrounding development.
Just anecdotal of course, but the vibe I get is that DC doesn't want the football team. The schedule is obviously the biggest problem- ten games a year isn't gonna transform anything, certainly not to a degree that would justify something that big and expensive- but there's also the mascot and ownership issues, which turns off many residents, and the fact that the games happen on weekends. I think a big part of the Nats Park boom is that there are weeknight games and lots of suburbanites end up staying downtown and spending money, as compared to a weekend game when most people would just come in to tailgate and go to the game.

It was a brutal fight to get Nats Park built, and that was a perquisite to getting the team in the first place and came with the promise of 81 home games a year, gotta think it would be way harder to convince them to support a more expensive stadium for a football team that is already here and everyone knows ain't leaving any time soon.

Just anecdotal of course, but the vibe I get is that DC doesn't want the football team. The schedule is obviously the biggest problem- ten games a year isn't gonna transform anything, certainly not to a degree that would justify something that big and expensive- but there's also the mascot and ownership issues, which turns off many residents, and the fact that the games happen on weekends. I think a big part of the Nats Park boom is that there are weeknight games and lots of suburbanites end up staying downtown and spending money, as compared to a weekend game when most people would just come in to tailgate and go to the game.

It was a brutal fight to get Nats Park built, and that was a perquisite to getting the team in the first place and came with the promise of 81 home games a year, gotta think it would be way harder to convince them to support a more expensive stadium for a football team that is already here and everyone knows ain't leaving any time soon.
Agree. Definitely less worth the investment than other possibilities. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the World Cup coming to America in 2026 drives the opening of a new stadium and potentially hosts the final game.

Agree. Definitely less worth the investment than other possibilities. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the World Cup coming to America in 2026 drives the opening of a new stadium and potentially hosts the final game.
I guess another factor in favor of a football stadium is that the site is already there, no need for condemnations. Although the flip side of that is that unlike Navy Yard, East Capitol Hill and the H Street Corridor don't exactly need the boost these days.

Let's be honest, another hurdle to a football stadium is Snyder. Nobody wants to willingly do business with that guy. Can't see too many DC politicians - local or federal - putting in a lot of sweat equity on his behalf.

My local weather station is saying we've had 6.62" of rain today.  I can't recall ever seeing more than that in a day and we've got a couple hours left.  Just poured here all day.  Calling for more rain for the next few days as well.

With the Nats collapsing, the Skins getting a head start on their usual bull#### with the Guice injury and Adrian Peterson signing, and me desperate for meaningful sporting events to distract myself from the inexorable march towards death, I've turned my attention to the two "second tier" DC teams, United and the Mystics. Both have been incredibly entertaining for the last few weeks.  The Mystics' run could end Thursday night in a one-game quarterfinal playoff game, but if not they'll be in a best of five semifinal series starting next weekend. And I'm no soccer expert but from what I can tell it looks like United is getting much more out of Wayne Rooney than anyone expected. Also there's a tiny little 5'3" guy that's super entertaining, and Audi Field looks like a helluva fun time.

If you're looking for some sports-related entertainment to get you through the days that don't feature Max Scherzer or a Skins game over the next two months or so, I highly recommend checking them out.

With the Nats collapsing, the Skins getting a head start on their usual bull#### with the Guice injury and Adrian Peterson signing, and me desperate for meaningful sporting events to distract myself from the inexorable march towards death, I've turned my attention to the two "second tier" DC teams, United and the Mystics. Both have been incredibly entertaining for the last few weeks.  The Mystics' run could end Thursday night in a one-game quarterfinal playoff game, but if not they'll be in a best of five semifinal series starting next weekend. And I'm no soccer expert but from what I can tell it looks like United is getting much more out of Wayne Rooney than anyone expected. Also there's a tiny little 5'3" guy that's super entertaining, and Audi Field looks like a helluva fun time.

If you're looking for some sports-related entertainment to get you through the days that don't feature Max Scherzer or a Skins game over the next two months or so, I highly recommend checking them out.
What channel is carrying the United games these days?

Dan Steinberg's daily email thing brings up something I've been thinking about a bit recently: Has any sports team in American pro sports history ever been playing with "house money" as much as the 2018-19 Washington Capitals?  They could forfeit their home games and just skate around the ice letting the fans cheer for them for two hours and I don't think anyone would mind until at least January.

Dan Steinberg's daily email thing brings up something I've been thinking about a bit recently: Has any sports team in American pro sports history ever been playing with "house money" as much as the 2018-19 Washington Capitals?  They could forfeit their home games and just skate around the ice letting the fans cheer for them for two hours and I don't think anyone would mind until at least January.
That's a good question. Certainly not the 83 Redskins, which is funny. You'd think people would be so thrilled with a team that came out of nowhere to win its first Super Bowl in SB 17, but people got greedy very quickly -- to the point where some idiots were calling for Gibbs's head after the Jack Squirek pick-6 right before halftime of SB 18.

Maybe the Broncos during Elway's victory lap season when they made a legit run at 16-0 and then cruised to the repeat? They got over the impossible hump to finally win one, and that whole next season was icing on the cake.

That's a good question. Certainly not the 83 Redskins, which is funny. You'd think people would be so thrilled with a team that came out of nowhere to win its first Super Bowl in SB 17, but people got greedy very quickly -- to the point where some idiots were calling for Gibbs's head after the Jack Squirek pick-6 right before halftime of SB 18.

Maybe the Broncos during Elway's victory lap season when they made a legit run at 16-0 and then cruised to the repeat? They got over the impossible hump to finally win one, and that whole next season was icing on the cake.
I think the Avs had just won a stanley cup right before that. Also football seasons are separated by like eight months so the fans have lots of time to bask in the glory of a title and then eventually turn to the next season. Feels like the Caps just finished playing two weeks ago.

Also they broke a bunch of droughts- their own lack of a title, the city's, their own/the city's inability to get past the conference semifinal round, getting past the Pens, etc. 

Plus they endeared themselves to the fans even more with their celebration antics and an incredibly high % of the players are back (I think 18 of the 20 they ran out there in the Finals?) which makes it impossible to imagine people actually getting angry or frustrated or disappointed with them for a while yet.

Weirdest feeling I can remember going into any team's season.

2016-17 Cleveland Cavaliers.

Would the year after the Red Sox broke the Curse Of The Bambino count?  Or the Cubs after they finally won the Series?

I’d even offer the 2016 Royals as a ginormous house money player.  After 29 seasons of missing the playoffs they got to Game 7 of an awesome Series and won it all the next.  And the NFL team in town didn’t win a handful of Super Bowls during the drought.  

None of that DQs the Capitals from playing with a huge stack of house money.  Just challenging the hyperbole of the pile being greater than any team in American pro sports history.  Was a lot of fun to think about.  Seeing the Cup raised in victory and the festivities afterwards must have been a lot of fun for their fans, especially the ones waiting decades for that moment.

ETA: raising the question gave me a new appreciation for what a big deal the Cup win means to DC fans.  The variety of heartbreak DC fans had along the way is impressive.

2016-17 Cleveland Cavaliers.

Would the year after the Red Sox broke the Curse Of The Bambino count?  Or the Cubs after they finally won the Series?

I’d even offer the 2016 Royals as a ginormous house money player.  After 29 seasons of missing the playoffs they got to Game 7 of an awesome Series and won it all the next.  And the NFL team in town didn’t win a handful of Super Bowls during the drought.  

None of that DQs the Capitals from playing with a huge stack of house money.  Just challenging the hyperbole of the pile being greater than any team in American pro sports history.  Was a lot of fun to think about.  Seeing the Cup raised in victory and the festivities afterwards must have been a lot of fun for their fans, especially the ones waiting decades for that moment.
Thought about the Cavs, but they immediately had all the drama of the Durant move that got people all fired up. Plus they were the presumptive favorite in the East, if they'd pooped the bed I bet people would have been mad. I also thought about the Royals, that's actually the best one I could come up with. 

Sox (and Cubs) are different I think, because most of those fans were also fans of teams who recently won titles in other sports. I'm guessing that feels different and affects their hopes/expectations.

I wasn't around for the 1970 Mets, but I wonder what the feeling was like then.  They had the "miracle" year of 1969, and then they dropped to mediocre in 1970.  I doubt the New York media gave them much of a pass though.

Thought about the Cavs, but they immediately had all the drama of the Durant move that got people all fired up. Plus they were the presumptive favorite in the East, if they'd pooped the bed I bet people would have been mad. I also thought about the Royals, that's actually the best one I could come up with. 

Sox (and Cubs) are different I think, because most of those fans were also fans of teams who recently won titles in other sports. I'm guessing that feels different and affects their hopes/expectations.
The Cubs one is probably also different because it was won with a core of young players that would be together for a while.  Similar deal with the Sawx; they could buy their way into contention in way 20-24 MLB teams couldn’t.  

Thinking through the Cardinals Series wins of my lifetime... 1983 was a letdown because the 1982 title team was young, there was animosity in the clubhouse... 2007 didn’t feel like a house money year because the 2004 and 2005 were loaded and fell short, knew the team would be good.  2012 was Definitely a House Money year because Pujols and LaRussa both left during the winter.  But nowhere near the scale of the cursed franchises, and the Rams won a Super Bowl with a crazy good and entertaining product along the way.

Jayhawks fans are the worst so I won’t go there.  

Fun question!

How about the Saints winning the SB? 
This is a great one. There's the thing about 8 months between seasons but otherwise it seems kinda similar from the outsider's perspective.

Obviously we have no idea, but my meaningless guess is that the Saints and the 2016 Royals are the closest analogies.

Regardless it's gonna be super weird and fun and I can't wait to just see them on the ice with decades of crap lifted from their shoulders. An added layer of weirdness is that they were already super-popular and a really tough ticket before the title. It could be a total frenzy now.

This is a great one. There's the thing about 8 months between seasons but otherwise it seems kinda similar from the outsider's perspective.

Obviously we have no idea, but my meaningless guess is that the Saints and the 2016 Royals are the closest analogies.

Regardless it's gonna be super weird and fun and I can't wait to just see them on the ice with decades of crap lifted from their shoulders. An added layer of weirdness is that they were already super-popular and a really tough ticket before the title. It could be a total frenzy now.
Was there a big jump in ticket prices?

I know you said pro teams, but Maryland getting to the FF for the first time in 2001 - itself huge for the fanbase - and then winning the next year gave them years-worth of house money. Good thing, too, because they haven't made much national noise since.

Users who are viewing this thread