What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Overwhelming, Overweening Therapeutic Avalanche In Modern Consciousness (1 Viewer)

@IvanKaramazov that definitely makes a lot of sense to me. I am lucky that my career (HS teacher) serves both purpose and community. I am sure that’s not the case for most people. By the time August of summer break rolls around, I often find myself struggling a bit without it that community, purpose, structure. I am fortunate I found a career that I love and in a way loves me back.

I am fortunate I found a career that I love and in a way loves me back.

And you have us, all punctual on Sundays

It's from a poem, actually, that quote.

And as for visitors, why, I have you,
All cheerful, brisk and punctual every Sunday,
Like church, even if the aisles smell of phenol. -
Anthony Hecht, "The Transparent Man"

I am fortunate I found a career that I love and in a way loves me back.

And you have us, all punctual on Sundays

It's from a poem, actually, that quote.

And as for visitors, why, I have you,
All cheerful, brisk and punctual every Sunday,
Like church, even if the aisles smell of phenol. -
Anthony Hecht, "The Transparent Man"
Love the reference there and it’s true that CFB and the NFL provides a lot of structure, conversation and community to my life in the fall.

Love the reference there

Thanks. The poem is actually quite sad. It's about a woman that is dying of leukemia.

The poem touches on the individuality/community issue in its latter parts. It offers no answers, but is one of the greatest poems I've ever read. Haunting.

Worth a read.

I will say that it’s such a complex thing that you have to find someone qualified - it’s not as simple to diagnose and treat in many instances.
(Not really directed at you AAA with this reply)The ever increasing therapy seekers will inevitably lead to not being able to find qualified people.

Given psychology's/psychiatry's track record over the years, I dont see how greatly expanding the number of people seeking help is a net benefit for society.

I believe this also fuels all the bs pseudoscientific industries out there.

Not to mention all the bad behavior it excuses.

Nevermind the rising costs to everybody.

This is purely anecdotal and singular, but it's also emblematic of an age. This is a really odd way of not just interjecting yourself into an article, but talking about undiagnosed mental health issues you think you might have. This is sort of what I'm getting at. How everybody's therapy is at the center of everything. This isn't even New Journalism; it's just a guy babbling about the ADHD he thinks he has to draw an analogy with a sports team. It's weird. I personally find nothing wrong with it, but really, at the center of an article about sports within a journalistic context where nobody really asked about your self and how your self is doing?

• Kevin Pulsifer, ESPN
Jan 4, 2024, 10:30 AM ET

It's fun to jump on the bandwagon. To board the hype train as it leaves the station, heading for greener pastures. Sometimes those pastures include some extra green in your pocket. Other times, it's a one-way ticket to disappointment along with the rest of the public.

In the sports betting world, it's essential to know the difference between a smart bet that the public is on, and a line that has taken on so much public steam that it's moved past the point of being good value. That's what I'm setting out to do for you this season -- help you spot those differences and think critically when you see something on TV, hear it again on a podcast, and then see it all over your social media feeds the rest of the week.

The hype​

I have ADHD.

Or at least, I'm pretty sure I do. I've spent the better part of the past year working with my therapist to try and find out why my brain works the way it does, and we've narrowed it down to ADHD. It's not the way it's portrayed in TV and movies for jokes, like the dog in "Up" being distracted by a squirrel. But the laundry list of items on my to-do list never gets checked off in the proper order.

My brain is constantly torn in different directions at the same time, remembering things from this morning, two days ago, or even last month that I wanted to accomplish or need to take care of. It makes me a lot less efficient, and I'm left with projects taking longer than expected, some long-term goals unfulfilled and general stress added to day-to-day tasks as I'm constantly reminded, at the worst possible times, of all the other things that I still want to do.

I say all this because it's a new year. We're four days into 2024 and I am, like many of you, trying to sort out my priorities and goals for the year. I'd like to start working out more and eating healthier, and I'd like to think that I can keep myself motivated enough to follow through on those goals.

But motivation is a fickle mistress. You can want to be healthier. You can want to be more successful at your job, you can want to achieve your goals. But that doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen. Week 18 of the NFL regular season is the perfect example of this. Come take a trip down memory lane for a minute.

Two years ago, the Indianapolis Colts were sitting pretty at 9-6, needing a win in either of their last two games to make the playoffs. A home loss to the Las Vegas Raiders set up a win-and-in scenario against the worst team in the league, the Jacksonville Jaguars. Trevor Lawrence's rookie season was an abject disaster, half-coached by Urban Meyer as the team stumbled to a 2-14 record entering the final week. Jacksonville had no motivation to play -- in fact, one could argue it had motivation to lose to ensure the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.

This is purely anecdotal and singular, but it's also emblematic of an age. This is a really odd way of not just interjecting yourself into an article, but talking about undiagnosed mental health issues you think you might have. This is sort of what I'm getting at. How everybody's therapy is at the center of everything. This isn't even New Journalism; it's just a guy babbling about the ADHD he thinks he has to draw an analogy with a sports team. It's weird. I personally find nothing wrong with it, but really, at the center of an article about sports within a journalistic context where nobody really asked about your self and how your self is doing?

• Kevin Pulsifer, ESPN
Jan 4, 2024, 10:30 AM ET

It's fun to jump on the bandwagon. To board the hype train as it leaves the station, heading for greener pastures. Sometimes those pastures include some extra green in your pocket. Other times, it's a one-way ticket to disappointment along with the rest of the public.

In the sports betting world, it's essential to know the difference between a smart bet that the public is on, and a line that has taken on so much public steam that it's moved past the point of being good value. That's what I'm setting out to do for you this season -- help you spot those differences and think critically when you see something on TV, hear it again on a podcast, and then see it all over your social media feeds the rest of the week.

The hype​

I have ADHD.

Or at least, I'm pretty sure I do. I've spent the better part of the past year working with my therapist to try and find out why my brain works the way it does, and we've narrowed it down to ADHD. It's not the way it's portrayed in TV and movies for jokes, like the dog in "Up" being distracted by a squirrel. But the laundry list of items on my to-do list never gets checked off in the proper order.

My brain is constantly torn in different directions at the same time, remembering things from this morning, two days ago, or even last month that I wanted to accomplish or need to take care of. It makes me a lot less efficient, and I'm left with projects taking longer than expected, some long-term goals unfulfilled and general stress added to day-to-day tasks as I'm constantly reminded, at the worst possible times, of all the other things that I still want to do.

I say all this because it's a new year. We're four days into 2024 and I am, like many of you, trying to sort out my priorities and goals for the year. I'd like to start working out more and eating healthier, and I'd like to think that I can keep myself motivated enough to follow through on those goals.

But motivation is a fickle mistress. You can want to be healthier. You can want to be more successful at your job, you can want to achieve your goals. But that doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen. Week 18 of the NFL regular season is the perfect example of this. Come take a trip down memory lane for a minute.

Two years ago, the Indianapolis Colts were sitting pretty at 9-6, needing a win in either of their last two games to make the playoffs. A home loss to the Las Vegas Raiders set up a win-and-in scenario against the worst team in the league, the Jacksonville Jaguars. Trevor Lawrence's rookie season was an abject disaster, half-coached by Urban Meyer as the team stumbled to a 2-14 record entering the final week. Jacksonville had no motivation to play -- in fact, one could argue it had motivation to lose to ensure the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.
It also takes a massive amount of narcissism to assume that people reading an article about sports betting want to hear about the author's personal life. A lot of what we bemoan as over-sharing is really just an unhealthy dose of self-importance.

It also takes a massive amount of narcissism to assume that people reading an article about sports betting want to hear about the author's personal life. A lot of what we bemoan as over-sharing is really just an unhealthy dose of self-importance.

Total agreement here. As I kept going, I wondered whether my problem was with the out-of-left-field use of therapy and mental health conditions or the author's belief that people actually sit down and want to read about his troubles. That is pretty narcissistic.

Total agreement here. As I kept going, I wondered whether my problem was with the out-of-left-field use of therapy and mental health conditions or the author's belief that people actually sit down and want to read about his troubles. That is pretty narcissistic.
So you are saying he has NPD?
I hope he is seeing someone for that.

I guess like with anything else, it can be used to empower or remove power and responsibility. As a teacher, I’ve got a lot of thoughts. I am sure I will share at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread