What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The "Perfect Draft" from a subscriber/board member POV (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Between the articles that lead up to the season from the staff, the multiple threads from hardnosed analytics in this forum loaded with info, the tools that FBG provides for its subscribers, one might wonder how does this all come together? Are there actual scenarios where all these tools and info come together and help an owner gain a substantial advantage over the field? Allow me to indulge and if you have similar stories I want to read them.

A few weeks back the owner of the coffee shop I frequent down in Little Havana tells me he is running a fantasy football league this year and there might be a couple openings. He knows I like to sit in there and blog/post on the message boards here but I don't think he really knew how big a fan I really am or just how deep I like to get into fantasy football. I have been trying to find a local league and although this one is still an internet league, all the owners are locals including a couple police officers, teachers, you know regular people. It wasn't a cheap league and its pretty much winner takes all but I said sure I would love to join.

Now the Commish was not very good at getting me a lot of info. Just said the scoring was on the yahoo site, etc…and that system took me a little bit to get used to as I am always an MFL or RTS guy. I looked at the scoring and the rules, one of the most important things you should always do and I see a few things that made me think of how I was going to strategize. This is not a best ball league which is what I am used to so I had to focus more on individual players over platoons filling out certain slots. Also there were only 14 roster slots and you had to field a QB/2RBs/2WRs/Flex(WR/RB)/TE/Def/PK…9 starters and only 5 more slots…like Gene Hackman says in Hoosiers it's gonna be a lonely bench. .5 PPR, and 4Pts pass TDs, rest was pretty standard 1pt/20pass/10rush/10rec, 6 pts all other TDs but for some reason PKs only get .5pt for XP and 1-2 pts on short FG, 3 for anything 40+, 4 for 50+ so in DD for example they total something like 70-75 for the year and that's the elite PKs. So I knew for sure I wasn't going to take a PK till the 14th round no matter what. Also I wanted to only have 1 QB, 1TE(can't flex them), 1 Def. 1PK, leave 10 spots for the WRs and RBs. That was my plan and also because it was only 4 pts for pass TDs I wanted to be the last owner to take a QB unless some serious value fell my way.

I don't know if any of you have ever used Yahoo but you don't get your draft position until about 30 minutes before the draft. Still because I have done 15-20 of these already I knew with the DD software at home I could have time to load everything and not stress. I ended up with the #2 pick and to be honest I usually don't draft in the top of these things. Much more comfortable going WR/WR at the end of the 1st and drafting from that point on. But I go the #2 slot and I didn't think twice about grabbing Adrian Peterson.

Now this had a variety of owners and level of expertise to it but 3 QBs went in the 1st and only AJ went at WR. About the middle of the 2nd round I honestly thought I might get Calvin or Randy Moss but they went the last 2 picks before it was my turn. Still a decent tandem at WR could be had on the 2/3 turn and I thought hard about Ryan Grant as well. Many in here have singing his praises. I could have had him at the 2.11 but I passed and the owner behind me took him and Romo on the 2/3 turn. Even though the RBs were flying off the board I could tell these guys were trying for flash over substance. I felt I could perhaps steal Joseph Addai at the 4.11 and I feel he and Grant are similar in production. The DD software was showing WR was the right place to grab value so I scooped up Reggie Wayne at the 2.11 and Miles Austin at the 3.02, I felt the two of them filled up my starting WRs nicely.

So now the waiting game begins and in these early round s every pick hurts a little but lots and lots of WRs were coming off the board which didn't bother me a bit and QBs were still going, as many as 6-7 were gone. As it got closer to the 4.11 Joseph Addai was still on the board and a QB I really like because of the schedule in Phillip Rivers. Also Gates got plucked early 4th so I knew if I wanted a top tier TE the times was very soon. At the 4.11 I mulled over Addai, Rivers, Clark and Finley. I love Finley and I had Wayne already but having a lot of Indy players is never a bad thing. I looked at my DD software and realized the guy behind me already had 2 RBs, a QB and no WRs so I figured I could still get Addai in the 5th and if I grabbed Finley now instead of Addai I could assume I wouldn't have to roll Wayne/Clark/Addai every week although as I said that is not the end of the world by any means. So I take Finley, turn takes Dallas Clark, he posted he wanted Finley and then he takes his 1st WR(Ocho) which I expected him to do. And so Addai falls to me at the 5.02 vs taking Grant at the 2.11, so far I am happy but I don't have a QB yet.

10 teams have QBs when it gets back to me at the 6.11 and while I wanted to take a QB I also saw some real value at the WR/RB positions and felt like it was a good time to start adding in flex guys for my rosters and also to give me a couple match up options for the season. I did want to grab a QB but Cutler and Kolb were both still on the board and because of ho hum preseason stats they have started to fall as they have in other drafts I was drafting in the past week to 10 days. With short rosters and the fact 10 of the 12 teams all had QBs I felt I could gamble and wait till the 8.11 pick to grab my 1st QB. It was a risk and I sort of felt like some owners might start taking their 2nd QB but if I wanted to have something close to the perfect draft I needed to wait and trust in the tools and info I had at my disposal. So at the 6.11/7.02 turn I took a couple guys I don't normally scoop up but felt like they were value and picked Michael Crabtree and then Reggie Bush. I also switched gears and allowed myself the option of now taking 2 QBs if I need to in order to play match ups.

My plan worked although a couple teams grabbed 2nd QBs, guys like Flacco which I would have loved to have grabbed to go with someone else on the 8.11/9.02 turn but unbelievably Kevin Kolb fell to me at the 8.11. I have not given up on him and have taken him in the 5th of some drafts earlier in the summer so I felt like I got good value again. I should have taken my QB2 in the 9th and I should have been more alert of Big Ben to give me a stud to work with the 2nd half of the season but I didn't. Instead I took Marion Barber at the 9.02 to give me a stable of 4 RBs that I was happy with. I think if I had taken Ben I really would have thought I had the perfect draft but I passed on him and he was scooped up a couple picks later. This was probably my biggest mistake.

Guys started taking Defenses and PKs to my amazement. With such short rosters and with at least 16 defenses likely on the WW each week and the same for PKs, I felt no need to try and grab anything to fill those spots before the 13th and 14th round. So I had the 10th, 11th, and 12th left to round out my RBs and WRs but I did manage to sneak a 2nd QB in there too. 10.11-Jabar Gaffney, 11.02-Matt Stafford, 12.11-Louis Murphy. I finally took San Diego at the 13.02 and went with Neil Rackers at the 14.11 mostly because they are playing Indy week 1 and it should be fireworks. I plan on switching these 2 positions a lot during the year but San Diego plays nobody until about week 7 or 8.

So the roster looks like this…

QB-K.Kolb, M.Stafford-being honest I am leery as neither has a lot of experience in the NFL but there are still guys on the WW I can pick up if both of these guys bomb.

RB-ADP, Addai, Bush, Barber

WR-Wayne, Austin, Crabtree, Gaffney, Murphy

TE-Finley

Def-San Diego

PK-Rackers

I feel I got solid value throughout the draft and I used the DD software a couple times in order to maximize value in the sweet spot rounds when others were trying to find players at positions I already had filled. Is it the perfect draft? Debatable to say the least, perhaps terrible to some folks but I feel confident I can compete for a playoff spot and it used a few of the things we have all discussed in here.

In shark leagues you can't always use the tools you have to their max but outside of the shark leagues you play in have you found the "perfect draft" theories and DD software tools give you enough to feel like you are going to crush everyone when you leave the draft? If you can share specific moments about either or recent drafts I would love to read them.

Thanks,

MOP

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if everyone started threads recapping their drafts. Fantasy football teams are kind of like rounds of golf. Nobody cares about them except the guy playing.

I don't think rambling ACF threads were on your list of "Things That the Shark Pool Needs".
As much as this guy gives his knowledge and feedback cut him some slack. Good team. QB's are leery but may turn out pretty well. good luck.

Well MOP I think draft stories have value - especially if people have drafts for similar leagues coming up - and as long as we can put some advice/suggestions into the review...............those that don't go find something else to read.

I had my NFFC Online Championship draft on Wednesday evening. For reference the starters are QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex (RB/WR/TE) plus K and DST

There is full PPR for WR and TE, but only half a point for RB. The Online Championship is twelve team leagues and the third round is reversed.

So I was drafting from the six hole - IMO a very nice slot as you get one of the top running backs or AJ; and I personally like drafting in the middle as there is usually value that falls from both ends. The 3RR won't affect me much at that spot either.

So let's go......I was going for BPA, willing to grab a better TE early and WAIT on quarterbacks, so

1.06 - ANDRE JOHNSON, WR, HOU (7) - Was surprised a little that it was five RB in a row as I have seen AJ going anywhere from three on down

2.07 - RYAN MATTHEWS, RB, SD (10) - I might well have started WR/WR if one of my first tier guys was still there but Very happy to get Matthews here (there was a RB some of you might think better, but knowing there are mixed thoughts I would hope for the slippage....and

3.07 - D'ANGELO WILLIAMS, RB, CAR (6) - Sorry but I am a fan, JStew hasn't even play yet and there are plenty of points for both....I am amzed to see him drop again....BUT that is the type of opportunity YOU want to capitalize on and why we suggest don't be tied to a positional start

4.06 - HAKEEM NICKS, WR, NYG (8) - I would have grabbed one of the top three TE here, but they were already gone and Nicks was the best wide receiver available

5.07 - TONY GONZALEZ, TE, ATL (8) - while I would be happy to draft Zach Miller or Chris Cooley, at some point you have to make your decision and I love Gonzo in PPR leagues - with luck one of the good third tier TE would be around later for bye week play and possible flex consideration (Flexing TE in these leagues can be huge if you end up with the right pair - there are some high level players who would draft two in the first four or five rounds but unless you are in the FFPC or FBGPC, I think that is very risky.

6.06 - MIKE WALLACE, WR, PIT (5) - Count me in the MW Fan Club this year - the guy has talent and will get lots of targets even before Big Ben comes back.

7.07 - AHMAD BRADSHAW, RB, NYG (8) - This was sweet - again JUMP on the opportunities your draft will give you (a few weeks ago this might have been Foster, but he was taken before my turn in the fifth)

I am going to stretch for one more WR here as I think the player has big upside - especially later in the year (and by the way there have been nine quarterbacks off the boards - the big seven in the first five rounds and then Flacco and Cutler)

8.06 - MIKE WILLIAMS, WR, TB (4) - If you didn't see this kid play in college, take it from the knowledgable posters here - this kid is the real deal and one of the few rookie wide receivers that will be worth more than a late roster spot.

9.07 - MATTHEW STAFFORD, QB, DET (7) - When Favre went ahead of me this round that was ten and time to take a stand.... I like Staffords weapons this year, the extra year of experience and if you haven't looked at the Lions schedule - GO Drool - great start, good finish, including his bye, maybe four weeks in the middle that are when you might want to play someone else....and do yourself a favor - go read the roundtable by FBG staff - look at those who made the call that Stafford may well be a top ten quarterback this year.

One other draft experience note here which I have addressed in columns elsewhere - I am a notoriously late QB drafter, often waiting until after the break at WCOFF to take my first one - and I am not the only one (if you want other examples of good players and don't trust Dodd's perfect draft advice, look at the drafts of Lou Tranquilli, BFD Fantasy Football and a TOP high stakes player; or Jon & Ian Millman of FF Champs who have also had a lot of success with the strategy. Especially in PPR leagues with mandatory TE, you can wait on one or the other - I don't advise both and I certainly wouldn't draft both early - the point differential suggests you can wait on a QB.....even draft a QBBC if you wish - I don't but when I do forego the STUDS, I am liable to double up with what I consider two playable QBs, often with good schedule matchups - NOW the problem has develped that those of us waiting this long are getting sniped when we decide to draft our quarterback(s) because some of these fruitcakes that took an early quarterback and drafting their second and even third at the point we are drafting our first - won't help them but can sack some. And to some degree that happened here because I was planning on pairing Stafford up with Roethlisberger but he was taken by the guy who took Flacco in the sixth round....sorry I just don't get that....oh yeah there were three other quarterbacks drafted before my next pick but they were very nice and left me.......

10.06 - ELI MANNING, QB, NYG (8) - another guy who could easily be top ten and one who has a pretty nice matchup (not perfect but fine) with Stafford

11.07 - HEATH MILLER, TE, PIT (5) - I saw more value with this pick than any of the RB/WR there and fortunately having 3/4 didn't need to force a pick....again as Dodds suggests - let the draft come to you.....plenty of high upside RB and WR still in the lake

12.06 - MIKE THOMAS, WR, JAX (9) - and here is one I like. Now clearly the starter opposite MSW Thomas will have some nice games for bye week play or some flexing

13.07 - LANCE MOORE, WR, NO (10) - I don't have to start him but would be delighted to do so if he plays up to WR2 for Brees - it's worth a shot

14.06 - CHRIS IVORY, RB, NO (10) - the folks in this draft had been going pretty hard after the rookie and backup running backs, part of that helped me with quarterbacks and wide receivers, but I too would like to find someone that later in the season could be a starter - RB3 on a very prolific offense could easily pay out

15.07 - CORRELL BUCKHALTER, RB, DEN (9) - Buckhalter was very good last year and while has health concerns, so does Knowshon, so this is another nice guy to have on the bench

16.06 - MASON CROSBY, K, GB (10) - Yes I know I have twenty picks. BUT there is a srong counter to the "just draft your kicker in the last round" - find a good kicker on a high scoring team with a LATE bye week so you have tons of time to switch or find the roster spot for a bye week play, I only want to draft ONE kicker because the other roster spots are so valuable for more RB and WR

17.07 - ARIZONA CARDINALS, DST (6) - you do know they were a top ten DST in this scoring last year don't you? And they do play the Rams and Seahawks twice and the Chiefs, Raiders, and Broncos this year

18.06 - JORDY NELSON, WR, GB (10) - Yes it looks like James Jones is the WR3 for the Packers, but there are still some questions about Driver and I like the situation

19.06 - OAKLAND RAIDERS, DST (10) - This was a DST combo I drafted in the FBG PC - the Raiders have a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball and if they would play more aggressively would score more points, but I can switch if I don't like the results - the main thing is that they play the Rams in Week 2.....right after the Cardinals

20.07 - AARON BROWN, RB, DET (7) - I think Best will be one of the better RB2 this year, but Kevin Smith might have survived the cut to 53, but didn't really show that much in the pre season, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Brown could gain touches as the year progresses or become the goal line back (again, look at the schedule at the end of the year).

So was it perfect? They never are in hindsight or when changes/injuries change the landscape. But it is a draft based on the principles DD uses for the Perfect Draft articles and it is a good team before any games are played. One further note, MOP referenced the Draft Dominator and it's views as he was drafting. I think it is a very good program, but I have been doing this for a long time and I would rather just use one or two sheets of paper and WATCH my opponents - you would be surprised what you can gain reading people at the draft table (not unlike the poker table). The other thing is that I use my own rankings and adjust as needed - there are no two drafts that are the same. Just do the best YOU can and HAVE FUN!

Users who are viewing this thread