What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The person San Francisco misses the most this year... (1 Viewer)

bagger

Footballguy
Alex Smith.

This guy is so underrated as an NFL QB. Sure KC defense is playing well this year and Andy Reid is a big upgrade as coach, but Smith manages games well, much better than Kaepernick does.

Smith had played very well last year prior to his injury. In the offseason talking to my Browns friend I was telling him how the Browns should pick him up. Surprisingly he said he'd rather roll with Weeden. Yes why would you want a YOUNGER QB with playoff experience rather than Weeden.

But this is the mindset. Smith isn't sexy, he doesn't run the read option. He just wins games.

Kaepernick is not the answer. He relies on a great defense and a solid run game to put himself in a position to win games, not his throwing skills.

It's not like San Francisco had that QB before. Oh wait they did, and someone who did it better.

Alex Smith.

Throwing to a trio of Kyle Williams, an old looking Boldin, & Manningham (1st game back), along with Vance McDonald at TE, coupled with some questionable play calling (especially when you are averaging 4.5 a clip on the ground) I can't place the burden all on him, only some of it. But yes, he does not look good... I still like his future more then Alex Smith, just a few bumps in the road.

Hopefully Crabtree is back in 2 or 3 weeks and we can see what he looks like with a full compliment of weapons.

Um no. 32 of 32 NFL franchises would prefer Kaepernick to Alex Smith.

The loss of Crabtree is by far the biggest for the 49ers.

Throwing to a trio of Kyle Williams, an old looking Boldin, & Manningham (1st game back), along with Vance McDonald at TE, coupled with some questionable play calling (especially when you are averaging 4.5 a clip on the ground) I can't place the burden all on him, only some of it. But yes, he does not look good... I still like his future more then Alex Smith, just a few bumps in the road.

Hopefully Crabtree is back in 2 or 3 weeks and we can see what he looks like with a full compliment of weapons.
You paid him a nice compliment.

The 9ers aren't doing too bad for crying out loud. I wish they were but they're not.

K'nick has been hemmed in by defenses that have finally learned his tendencies, perhaps, but you know he can have a great game in him if called upon, the 9ers just rarely get in that position - though the Seattle game sticks out badly.

I don't even know that it's about Crabtree, the 9er scheme has been like this under Harbaugh, they have just never had much faith, desire or ability to go beyond Vern Davis on a regular basis. Yes, Crabtree has had his stretches but how often have Crabtree and Davis had good games at the same time with Smith or K'nick. How often have 2 WRs had a good game together. It has to be about more than one guy in the passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaepernick is not the answer. He relies on a great defense and a solid run game to put himself in a position to win games, not his throwing skills.
Er, that pretty much sums up Alex Smith, his last two years in SF and this year in KC.

Er, that pretty much sums up Alex Smith, his last two years in SF and this year in KC.
read all the way to the end if the post, and you will see that is exactly my point.Kaepernick is not some upgrade. At best it is a lateral move with someone who is less experienced and doesn't even do it as well as Smith. Smith is a better passer, his game in October of last year he had one of the highest completion percentages in NFL history.

read all the way to the end if the post, and you will see that is exactly my point.Kaepernick is not some upgrade. At best it is a lateral move with someone who is less experienced and doesn't even do it as well as Smith. Smith is a better passer, his game in October of last year he had one of the highest completion percentages in NFL history.
There is no way Kaepernick is a lateral move from Smith. Kaepernick is a difference-maker; Smith is a guy who can throw both a bubble screen and a wheel route. Smith has never accounted for 20 TDs in any of his 7 seasons, and he may not get there this year, either.

Kaepernick may not succeed long-term, but he's someone who has the potential of being a top-notch NFL QB. Alex Smith is Chad Pennington.

Defenses have figured out to play against the ultra-mobile QBs.

Kaep, Cam, Vick, RG3, (Tebow now useless), etc all have reduced effectiveness..

It's crazy that exciting = better to some people.

Sure Kaep can be a game changer, but that goes both ways. Smith plays smarter football.

As a Chiefs fan that went 2-14 last year and now is 9-0 I'm not asking too many questions. I'll roll with Smith just fine at this point. Kap is sexy but Smith has virtually elimated turnovers. With a strong D, unbeleivable home crowd and one of the best rushers in the NFL sometimes just not screwing things up is the best thing you can do.

Cam has a new offensive coordinator with a different philosophy.

Griffin is looking dynamic again - he's saddled with a horrible defense.

Vick has just aged, especially in the running game and health.

Kaepernick - what are people seeing?

Cam has a new offensive coordinator with a different philosophy.

Griffin is looking dynamic again - he's saddled with a horrible defense.

Vick has just aged, especially in the running game and health.

Kaepernick - what are people seeing?
I've only seen the nationally televised games, but Kaep looks like he makes one read, sometimes two, before looking to scramble. He also doesn't step up in the pocket and seems to be comfortable rolling out to make a play/throw. Put a hard edge rush on him and he doesn't know what to do.

Crabtree is the correct answer.
/thread
Boldin is better than Crabtree who they added.They have upgraded the offense and Kaep has done less with more.
I know you are not this stupid.

Stop biting the hooks, boys.
Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2012 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 85 1,105 13.0 49T 9 1 8 8.0 8 0 -- --

2011 San Francisco 49ers 15 14 72 874 12.1 52T 4 1 6 6.0 6 0 -- --

2010 San Francisco 49ers 16 15 55 741 13.5 60T 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2009 San Francisco 49ers 11 11 48 625 13.0 50 2 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1

TOTAL 260 3,345 12.9 60 21 2 14 7.0 8 0 11

Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2013 San Francisco 49ers 9 9 41 574 14.0 43 2 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2012 Baltimore Ravens 15 15 65 921 14.2 43 4 1 3 3.0 3 0 -- --

2011 Baltimore Ravens 14 14 57 887 15.6 56 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2010 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 64 837 13.1 61 7 2 2 1.0 3 0 1 1

2009 Arizona Cardinals 15 15 84 1,024 12.2 44 4 3 12 4.0 5T 1 3 2

2008 Arizona Cardinals 12 11 89 1,038 11.7 79T 11 9 67 7.4 30 0 4 3

2007 Arizona Cardinals 12 11 71 853 12.0 44T 9 1 14 14.0 14 0 2 1

2006 Arizona Cardinals 16 16 83 1,203 14.5 64 4 5 28 5.6 18 0 1 0

2005 Arizona Cardinals 14 14 102 1,402 13.7 54T 7 12 45 3.8 11 0 2 1

2004 Arizona Cardinals 10 9 56 623 11.1 31T 1 1 3 3.0 3 0 1 1

2003 Arizona Cardinals 16 16 101 1,377 13.6 71T 8 5 40 8.0 23 0 3 3

TOTAL 813 10,739 13.2 79 60 39 214 5.5 30 1 17 12

Ted Ginn?

How has their return game been.....and what about their (lack of) downfield vertical passing game?

He sure has had a positive impact for the Panthers this season.

Can't believe I am saying this.....but Ted Ginn Jr.

And his family too of course.

Nobody cares what Boldin did years ago. He is not the WR he used to be; Crabtree is better now.
There's no question 2012 Crabtree was much better than 2013 Boldin, but I really doubt Crabtree will ever be the same again after the achilles injury. He'll probably struggle mightily when he returns this season, and SF will be able to resign him for cheap. It's 50/50 at best that he'll ever be a game-changer again IMO.

Nobody cares what Boldin did years ago. He is not the WR he used to be; Crabtree is better now.
There's no question 2012 Crabtree was much better than 2013 Boldin, but I really doubt Crabtree will ever be the same again after the achilles injury. He'll probably struggle mightily when he returns this season, and SF will be able to resign him for cheap. It's 50/50 at best that he'll ever be a game-changer again IMO.
I agree this season he will struggle big time.....but next season? 50/50 he will be the same?

He is still very young and typically the achilles heal is even stronger than the non injured one going forward. So I don't agree he will never be the same.

Ask Dan Marino how he did after his Achilles heal injury in 1993......he tore apart the league the very next season....as usual. And that was 20 years ago.

I think Crabtree will be just fine long term IMO.

Smith isn't sexy, he doesn't run the read option. He just wins games.
His record in San Francisco was 38-36-1.
Smith's record with Harbaugh was 18-5, while Kaepernick has gone 14-6-1 including the playoffs.
The point is that Smith doesn't "just win games." The 49ers had years of losing records with Smith at QB. It seems odd to say Smith "just wins games" while arguing that he's better than Kaepernick. Smith has a career winning percentage barely over .500. Kaepernick's is ~.667.

What a bizarrely ironic statement. You do realize that only about 20% of NFL players are able to return to a high level of production after tearing their Achilles tendon, don't you? And even then it typically takes about a year for players to fully recover.Crabtree is the one who is not the WR he used to be.

What a bizarrely ironic statement. You do realize that only about 20% of NFL players are able to return to a high level of production after tearing their Achilles tendon, don't you? And even then it typically takes about a year for players to fully recover.Crabtree is the one who is not the WR he used to be.
How do we know he isn't the WR he used to be? He has yet to play. See Demaryius Thomas. How's he doing?

Ok...who's to say Crabtree is not one of those.

Brent Grimes has had a great comeback year for the Dolphins at CB one year removed from the tear. I think that number continues to grow and grow as medical science get's better and better.

The sample size of today's atheltes is much smaller...than the sample size of hundreds of far older football players from yester-year when medical science was no-where near what it is today. 20 years ago....an ACL was far more career ending than today.

Things have changed.....athletes are also in far better physical shape today than yester-year.

I don't agree.

I am blown away at the quicker recovery times today.

Andre Brown and Demaryius Thomas are dispelling the notion that an achilles injury is a death knell for an NFL player.

Just curious, besides Crabtree and Manningham, who else have the 9ers done without this year?

Aldon Smith is back, right?

Anyone else?

Going to the game next week so would love to get the bigger picture.

Just curious, besides Crabtree and Manningham, who else have the 9ers done without this year?

Aldon Smith is back, right?

Anyone else?

Going to the game next week so would love to get the bigger picture.
Chris Culliver. I think his absence has been brutal as well. Aside from the Super Bowl he was excellent last year.

Aldon Smith played in like 12-15 snaps last week it seemed like. It's safe to say it will increase this week, assuming no action from the league office.

SproutDaddy said:
Joe%20Summer said:
Ghost%2520Rider said:
How do we know he isn't the WR he used to be? He has yet to play. See Demaryius Thomas. How's he doing?
Demaryius Thomas was a shell of his former self 6 months after tearing his Achilles. He didn't get back to 100% until 9 months after the injury.

Put Crabtree on the same timetable, and he won't be ready until late in the playoffs.

SproutDaddy said:
Joe%20Summer said:
Ghost%2520Rider said:
Demaryius Thomas was a shell of his former self 6 months after tearing his Achilles. He didn't get back to 100% until 9 months after the injury.Put Crabtree on the same timetable, and he won't be ready until late in the playoffs.
Your original statement seemed to imply something different. Thanks for clarifying. I held Crabtree in dynasty. I have faith he'll return as others have.

The Niners are 10th in the league in scoring offense. They were 11th in 2011 and 2012. They have dropped from #2 in scoring defense (both in 2011 and 2012) to #4, which is probably enough to explain the difference between 6-3 and 7-2.

Even if Crabtree is the answer this year isn't going to get any better for Kaepernick. You think Crabtree is magically going to come off an achillies tear and just be himself this year? I don't think so.

One brought them to a championship game, the other brought them to within a play of winning the SUper Bowl.

Is there a correct answer here or do we each get to make a guess?

I think it is Vernon Davis. THey absolutely suck when he misses time.

Users who are viewing this thread