What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Stock Market under Joe Biden things are looking down! (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that can be very brutal when people try to manage their own savings and leave it in high risk areas when close to or during retirement. Blaming Biden doesn't help as much as taking responsibility and hiring a financial planner does. :thumbup:

are you telling my you've made money last 2 years in your stock investments ?

stock market will take a beating today .... Biden legacy grows everyday :mad:

The Labor Department said Wednesday that its producer price index, which measures inflation at the wholesale level before it reaches consumers, rose 0.4% in September from the previous month. On an annual basis, prices soared 8.5%. That is down from the 8.7% recorded in August and marks the lowest reading since July 2021.

Still, those figures were both higher than the 8.3% headline figure and 0.3% monthly gain forecast by Refinitiv economists, a worrisome sign for the Federal Reserve as it seeks to cool price gains and tame consumer demand with an aggressive interest rate hike campaign.

Excluding food, energy and trade services, inflation at the wholesale level increased 0.4% for the month – the fastest gain since May. Over the past 12 months, core prices climbed 5.6%.

Yeah, that can be very brutal when people try to manage their own savings and leave it in high risk areas when close to or during retirement. Blaming Biden doesn't help as much as taking responsibility and hiring a financial planner does. :thumbup:

I'm not retired or close to it. In 20 years when I am, I'll absolutely be in safer investments. I'm in long-term retirement building phase right now and I've increased my 401k contribution and maxing out IRAs, I-Bonds, added a little real estate (land) and of course burying tens of thousands of wheat pennies in the yard.

Personal investments outside of retirement savings, yes, I have been doing pretty good and up the past two years since I was heavy in energy stocks and really loaded up during the Covid crash.

I'm not retired or close to it. In 20 years when I am, I'll absolutely be in safer investments. I'm in long-term retirement building phase right now and I've increased my 401k contribution and maxing out IRAs, I-Bonds, added a little real estate (land) and of course burying tens of thousands of wheat pennies in the yard.

Personal investments outside of retirement savings, yes, I have been doing pretty good and up the past two years since I was heavy in energy stocks and really loaded up during the Covid crash.

making money with the stock market down like this

29,377.37-5,000.97 (-14.55%)past year

you should be a professional investment person - because you're doing what very few are

@Stealthycat as you get closer to retirement, the strategy is to start shifting your savings into safer investments that will limit losses and provide returns. You shift from growing to preserving.

I'm doing a similar strategy as Gmail. Last year is shifted my 401k contributions from traditional to roth. I max out my HSA. I have an Etrade account where I make automatic investments in index tracking funds and put a couple bucks into some stocks just to kind of play around with. I have some crypto. A long-term investor who DCAs isn't going to worry about a two-year horizon. I just look at this as an opportunity to load up on some deals.

@Stealthycat as you get closer to retirement, the strategy is to start shifting your savings into safer investments that will limit losses and provide returns. You shift from growing to preserving.

I'm doing a similar strategy as Gmail. Last year is shifted my 401k contributions from traditional to roth. I max out my HSA. I have an Etrade account where I make automatic investments in index tracking funds and put a couple bucks into some stocks just to kind of play around with. I have some crypto. A long-term investor who DCAs isn't going to worry about a two-year horizon. I just look at this as an opportunity to load up on some deals.

but can we agree that many many people are affected ?

Fidelity Q2 Analysis Shows Just How Hard Stock Losses Hit 401ks​

Average account balances down 20% in a year, shrinking 401k millionaire ranks by a third.

Given the stock market’s dismal performance in the second quarter of 2022—and the first half of the year in general—it’s no surprise that average 401k account balances at plans recordkept by Fidelity decreased significantly during the second quarter that ended June 30.

The good news is that balances decreased less than the market decline in Q2—and less than the last major period of market volatility, according to Fidelity Investments’ Q2 2022 analysis of savings behaviors and account balances for its more than 35 million 401k, 403b and IRA retirement accounts, released today.

The drop in average balances from April through June—15%—was below the S&P’s decline of 16.1% for Q2 2022 and below Q1 2020, the last period with significant market volatility. In addition, retirement savers continue to look long-term, as total 401k savings rates still hovered at record levels, the number of IRAs on Fidelity’s platform continued to increase and the percentage of employees with 401k loans remained low for the fifth consecutive quarter.

Nasdaq at a 2 year low. Records continue to be set here.
2 year low in the grander scheme of things isn't really that big a deal.
It depends on your time horizon and tolerance to put more at risk. If you have retired in the past year or plan to in the next 12-18 months it’s pretty devastating. If you’re 25 and just starting out, it’s a good opportunity to base in your 401k and Roth. If it persists into the new year I’m gonna have my bookkeeper set up my 2023 401k contribution to hit earlier in the year than normal. I’m thinking we bottom somewhere out in Q4 but who really knows.
it shouldn't be devastating to be back to where you were 2 years ago.
You're forgetting the inflation impact of that too. Your spending power on a dollar isn't the same as it was 2 years ago, in fact, it's not even close. So if you were planning to retire this year and had just enough to meet your goals, you probably are going to at least work another 3-4 years, if we stabilize that is.

Generally I'd agree, but check out the bond markets if you were trying to play it safe recently.

You're forgetting the inflation impact of that too. Your spending power on a dollar isn't the same as it was 2 years ago, in fact, it's not even close. So if you were planning to retire this year and had just enough to meet your goals, you probably are going to at least work another 3-4 years, if we stabilize that is.

true

Generally I'd agree, but check out the bond markets if you were trying to play it safe recently.

I'm not sure what my strategy will be. I'll sit down with the advisor and have them walk me through it. I'm still 20 years away.

I guess the people handling our investment account are doing ok. Only down around 7% from last year at this time.

I jumped on a 4% 9 month CD a week ago with some of my bond money. These kind of things (along with I-bonds) are a pretty good deal right now.

I jumped on a 4% 9 month CD a week ago with some of my bond money. These kind of things (along with I-bonds) are a pretty good deal right now.
I've maxed out my I-Bonds for the year. I may gift some to my daughters as well. I believe that rate is still around 9% right now but most expect it to reset to mid 6's. I'm having to get creative with the business cash before having to rebuy inventory. Have some in an overnight sweep account which is nearing 3% annualized, but some in a short term note with another company, just way different from the past 3 years or so where short term cash was essentially 0%.

I've maxed out my I-Bonds for the year. I may gift some to my daughters as well. I believe that rate is still around 9% right now but most expect it to reset to mid 6's. I'm having to get creative with the business cash before having to rebuy inventory. Have some in an overnight sweep account which is nearing 3% annualized, but some in a short term note with another company, just way different from the past 3 years or so where short term cash was essentially 0%.
I had my wife gift me through 2024 and me the same to her. So stuffed the channel a bit. Even if it does go down it's still good diversification.

I guess the people handling our investment account are doing ok. Only down around 7% from last year at this time.

that's good - many suffered worse
A nice conservative 60/40 portfolio is, right now, experiencing the 2nd worse loss on record ever. Ever. The only worse year was 1931. The other major asset class, real estate, is at -35% this year. There has been almost no place to hide. So, this administration has only managed to do better than one year of the Great Depression.

Jamny must have a ton of cash or commodities in that account.

Save more, spend less, be more fiscally responsible. I don't care what admin pushed this, I like it! Sorry to hear some of you won't be taking advantage of this.

Save more, spend less, be more fiscally responsible. I don't care what admin pushed this, I like it! Sorry to hear some of you won't be taking advantage of this.

I'm over 50 and I've been maxing out my 401k for a long time. I'll surely take advantage of the new limits, which go up every year so this year isn't much different other than Biden having to increase them more than normal due to Bidenflation. I guess that makes me rich then.

wish the Fed Govt and this administration would be examples on that :(

Users who are viewing this thread