What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Stock Market under Joe Biden things are looking down! (1 Viewer)

Oh, I put ZERO stock in it.  I just know a good many of the regular contributors to this thread hold GDP growth in very high regard when it comes to "success"...that it has the potential to be higher than China's?  Please...Christmas coming early baby!!!
I'll be honest - I'm not at all surprised by China's decline.  Their initial draconian lockdowns combined with a pretty crappy vaccine really made for a fertile ground for outbreaks there.  They're in a pickle with this.

I'll be honest - I'm not at all surprised by China's decline.  Their initial draconian lockdowns combined with a pretty crappy vaccine really made for a fertile ground for outbreaks there.  They're in a pickle with this.
It's definitely not working for them and throwing gas on the inflation bonfire that's raging to boot

Highest inflation in 40+ years…..AGAIN. Brutal. 
Which western countries are not having record inflation? 

France is faring better than most of Europe because of its high dependence on nuclear (about 70% of electricity production). In addition other factors are "the tariff shield which freezes prices of electricity and household gas for consumers, as well as an 18c per litre fuel rebate to help drivers."

Explained: How is France keeping its inflation rate comparatively low?

Which western countries are not having record inflation? 

France is faring better than most of Europe because of its high dependence on nuclear (about 70% of electricity production). In addition other factors are "the tariff shield which freezes prices of electricity and household gas for consumers, as well as an 18c per litre fuel rebate to help drivers."

Explained: How is France keeping its inflation rate comparatively low?

The Eurozone's core inflation is 3.8% for May 2022.  The US's core inflation is 6%.  We're doing much, much worse w/r/t inflation.  

The Eurozone's core inflation is 3.8% for May 2022.  The US's core inflation is 6%.  We're doing much, much worse w/r/t inflation.  
Oh come on it’s only more that 50% higher, no complaints when Dems are in office you know the PSF rules! 

From Charlie Bilello

>>Inflation Rates...
Australia: 5.1%
Norway: 5.7%
Sweden: 6.4%
Canada: 6.8%
Denmark: 7.4%
Eurozone: 8.1%
US: 8.6%
UK: 9.0%<<

Why is Core Inflation a better measure?

Do you think the tax cuts in 2016 and reversing the Fed rate hikes in 2018 in a growing economy (2.25% to 1.5%) have contributed to today's inflation? 

From Charlie Bilello

>>Inflation Rates...
Australia: 5.1%
Norway: 5.7%
Sweden: 6.4%
Canada: 6.8%
Denmark: 7.4%
Eurozone: 8.1%
US: 8.6%
UK: 9.0%<<

Why is Core Inflation a better measure?

Do you think the tax cuts in 2016 and reversing the Fed rate hikes in 2018 in a growing economy (2.25% to 1.5%) have contributed to today's inflation? 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/definition/core-inflation

Covid caused a unprecedented perfect storm (economic shut down, disruption of supply lines, unprecedented stimulus spending).  

Biden's legacy ...

New York (CNN Business)US stocks plunged into bear market territory Monday morning as Wall Street investors grew increasingly nervous about the prospect of even more harsh medicine from the Fed to take the sting out of inflation.

The Dow (INDU) sank 600 points, or 2.1%, and the Nasdaq fell 2.9%.

The broader S&P 500 fell 2.4%. That index is now more than 20% below its all-time high set in January, putting stocks in bear-market territory.

I think people can live with things up to a point, especially with prices.  That’s why a lot of things cost xx.99.  That extra penny makes the total amount look bigger, psychologically.  So how will the masses react if gas goes over $5/gal (still 4.99 here), while simultaneously the Dow drops below 30k?

I think people can live with things up to a point, especially with prices.  That’s why a lot of things cost xx.99.  That extra penny makes the total amount look bigger, psychologically.  So how will the masses react if gas goes over $5/gal (still 4.99 here), while simultaneously the Dow drops below 30k?
FoxNews has the ticker in the corner and its getting more interest than the content they are airing...

Just remember the words on the administration here from Friday:  "There's nothing to suggest that there's a recession in the works," she (Yellen) said during an interview at The New York Times' economic forum.

IMO, we're already in recession and it will be confirmed when the Q2 numbers come out.  Q1 was already negative.

Just remember the words on the administration here from Friday:  "There's nothing to suggest that there's a recession in the works," she (Yellen) said during an interview at The New York Times' economic forum.

IMO, we're already in recession and it will be confirmed when the Q2 numbers come out.  Q1 was already negative.
Saw the same quote. Yellen is completely delusional and/or a total tool. Just as she was about inflation.

The 2/10 treasury yield curve inverted again today (briefly). Second time since April. That signal is rarely wrong. 

Not sure if we're already there, but market participants increasingly believe recession is a certainty.

Aside from that post 9/11 economy, thr post housing bubble in 2008, and the sharp drop after covid first hit - have we ever had the DOW lower than where it was 18 month prior?
Plenty of times. The 70s (stagflation) and 30s being prime examples.

I worry you are right, I did nibble on some index funds to average in but more pain ahead I would guess. 
Yup I get that it’s never smart to time the market but in this case I feel that investing today (literally) is equivalent to burning money.

we don't know that it'll go a "lot lower" - it might be bottom right now, nobody knows

-6,068.32 (-16.59%)year to date

16.5% is a huge loss 
Yeah we don’t know for sure but I’m trying to think of near term factors that would predict a sudden change in the positive direction.  I just don’t see it.  I have some disposable cash that I would like to invest but just not comfortable pulling the trigger right now.   

Yup I get that it’s never smart to time the market but in this case I feel that investing today (literally) is equivalent to burning money.
Eh, this seems a bit much.  If you're willing to buy and hold a little while, it seems like you've got a "guaranteed" 25% return baked into your purchase just due to this decline.  If you're not buying at the exact trough, big deal.

I actually have some cash laying around that's supposed to be for some long-term expenses (like replacing our cars when they need to be swapped out), but it feels wasteful to have that much cash just sitting there when the market is handing us a buying opportunity.  

Just my two cents.  I'm a boring index fund investor, so timing the market is absolutely not my thing.

Yeah we don’t know for sure but I’m trying to think of near term factors that would predict a sudden change in the positive direction.  I just don’t see it.  I have some disposable cash that I would like to invest but just not comfortable pulling the trigger right now.   

I understand that for sure

We will all look back at the 2022 fall and think of what fantastic buying opportunities that was

or

the world will collapse and it won't matter much anyway :)  

How the you know what can this be "unexpected" If thats the case I am totally unimpressed with those that make these predictions.   Come on man!
No one wants to admit the reality of the situation and when they do, they are gaslit. Like how Biden called pit Musk after Musk said he is preparing for a recession.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock markets rises and falls, sure bad policies can exacerbate it, but lets not put too much stock in a president being too influential on it.  I dont really see the market as being a useful measurement of presidential effectiveness.

We should worry far more about inflation.  Biden was warned, but Democrats as well, to not implement his policies as they would lead to ruinous inflation.  A kid in Econ 101 could have predicated that as well.

He did it anyway, then blamed others, then pretended it wasnt really that bad, then blamed others, then said it was actually a god thing, then blamed others.....

It's sad in a way. I would have considerable respect for him if he just admitted what he did, and that he would try to do better. I could get behind him, but instead he is just a coward. 

The stock markets rises and falls, sure bad policies can exacerbate it, but lets not put too much stock in a president being too influential on it.  I dont really see the market as being a useful measurement of presidential effectiveness.

We should worry far more about inflation.  Biden was warned, but Democrats as well, to not implement his policies as they would lead to ruinous inflation.  A kid in Econ 101 could have predicated that as well.

He did it anyway, then blamed others, then pretended it wasnt really that bad, then blamed others, then said it was actually a god thing, then blamed others.....

It's sad in a way. I would have considerable respect for him if he just admitted what he did, and that he would try to do better. I could get behind him, but instead he is just a coward. 
welcome back.

Users who are viewing this thread