What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throwback Thursday Category: 90s Alternative One Hit Wonders (1 Viewer)

Not a big fan of this song, but it reminds me of the summer between my first and second year of graduate school. I looked it up and sure enough it peaked on the Alt radio charts in June of 1996. I can recall it being played in almost constant rotation on Houston's alternative radio station at that time.

Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars

Not a big fan of this song, but it reminds me of the summer between my first and second year of graduate school. I looked it up and sure enough it peaked on the Alt radio charts in June of 1996. I can recall it being played in almost constant rotation on Houston's alternative radio station at that time.

Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
Another great Santa Barbara band from the mid-late 90's. Ugly Kid Joe, Toad the Wed Sprocket...

Candlebox and Filter also had a few hits IIRC :shrug:
As I said in the first post, they don't have to be true one hit wonders, I just wanted to get a bit away from the most obvious stuff.
Like "Hey Man Nice Shot"?
We get it, you are a DJ and are very into music.
Please, I don't even like music.

I'm the worst offender with this type of stuff and just joshing.

Candlebox and Filter also had a few hits IIRC :shrug:
As I said in the first post, they don't have to be true one hit wonders, I just wanted to get a bit away from the most obvious stuff.
Like "Hey Man Nice Shot"?
We get it, you are a DJ and are very into music.
Please, I don't even like music.

I'm the worst offender with this type of stuff and just joshing.
Oh, then :thumbup:

Ok just two more because I could on forever. Despite my name, I came up in the 90s.

Possum Kingdom (what a #### name for a killer song) by the Toadies (they were just really bad at naming things)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4

Superman is Dead by Our Lady Peace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CBBtorFg2I
Refers to Lake Possum Kingdom in Northeast Texas. The Toadies are from the DFW area, if I am not mistaken.

And yeah, it's a definitively awesome 90s song.

Ok just two more because I could on forever. Despite my name, I came up in the 90s.

Possum Kingdom (what a #### name for a killer song) by the Toadies (they were just really bad at naming things)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4

Superman is Dead by Our Lady Peace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CBBtorFg2I
Refers to Lake Possum Kingdom in Northeast Texas. The Toadies are from the DFW area, if I am not mistaken.

And yeah, it's a definitively awesome 90s song.
correct on all counts

Seven Mary Three -

ETA: I liked other songs on this album more than this one but it will be the most recognized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tangent:

There a few bands in this thread that some of my younger friends were really into ~20 years ago ... so much so that I thought their fanship represented the "Voice of Their Generation", and that these bands would be like the Zeppelin / Eagles / Van Halen of the '90s. The bands I have in mind are Candlebox, Dishwalla, and Fastball. I had a buddy who spent a summer following Candlebox around the Southeast. I also remember Fastball being immense for about six months among my sister-in-law's high school friends.

I think the bands that ended up being closest to the Zeppelin / Eagles / Van Halen of the '90s were Pearl Jam and maybe Oasis. Hard to tell, though, because popular music was continuing the fracturing trend in place from the Disco Era on forward.

Let's see what I can do without looking throw a playlist (this might be bad...sorry)

White Town - Your Woman

K's Choice - Not An Addict

Toms Diner by someone? Eta: Suzanne vega iirc

Cornershop - Brimful of Asha

Mad Season - River of Deceit (think this was a "supergroup"). Good song

Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You

Letters to Cleo - here and now

Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome

Belly - Feed The Tree

Meat Puppets - Backwater

Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now (maybe 89?)

Luscious Jackson - Naked Eye

Tracy Bonham - Mother Mother

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread