What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timmy’s 53 favorite obscure tunes #1. P.F. Sloan (1 Viewer)

13. Sue Foley “Long Way To Go” (from Ten Days In November, 1998)

Sue Foley is a Canadian blues guitarist extraordinaire and lead singer. This original ballad by her is probably too melodic to be classified as traditional blues, but it’s completely awesome. And man does she show off some amazing guitar chops here!

Tim, I've probably given you more guff than anyone in your music threads (all deserved), but you've highlighted some gems in this one.
Nice work. :thumbup:

Tim, I've probably given you more guff than anyone in your music threads (all deserved), but you've highlighted some gems in this one.
Nice work. :thumbup:

You're so nice, man. I was going to emoji yawn at the last selection just to be an *******.

Naw, this is a good countdown. I look forward to hearing the Colin Hay selection. I've definitely heard that he's more than Men At Work, so I'll give a listen.

Check out the TV show Scrubs for even more Colin Hay

He was on it or mentioned? Interesting. I usually check out Scrubs after they're getting over my dead body, but maybe I'll give it a chance.

Men At Work was an underrated band. Those albums, Business As Usual and Cargo, both had songs that will still pop into my head every so often.

"Overkill"

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Come back another day

"Underground"

There's no need for you to fight, boys
Hang up all your guns
Find your mask and as best as you can
Get ready to run
Keep all the food lines moving
Don't come crying for more
The signs were there
You should have bought connections before

Check out the TV show Scrubs for even more Colin Hay

He was on it or mentioned? Interesting. I usually check out Scrubs after they're getting over my dead body, but maybe I'll give it a chance.

Men At Work was an underrated band. Those albums, Business As Usual and Cargo, both had songs that will still pop into my head every so often.

"Overkill"

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Come back another day

"Underground"

There's no need for you to fight, boys
Hang up all your guns
Find your mask and as best as you can
Get ready to run
Keep all the food lines moving
Don't come crying for more
The signs were there
You should have bought connections before
In addition to his newer stuff, Hay does some great acoustic covers of his old hits. Check out this version of “Down Under” with a Latin jazz feel:

14. Colin Hay “Waiting For My Real Life To Begin” (from Going Somewhere, 2001)

Colin Hay was the lead singer and songwriter for Men At Work. He has some fine tunes as a solo artist, none better than this gorgeous ballad.
I first saw Colin Hay as a solo artist at a local music festival. They had a main stage area and then satellite stages where they had "workshops".
He was amazing on the main stage.

Then I saw him in a workshop that was just musicians sitting on the stage with acoustic guitars talking about songs they have written and playing them. He was on stage with Jackson Browne, Shawn Colvin and Steve Earle. Amazing!

12. Golden Smog “Won’t Be Coming Home” (from Down By The Old Mainstream, 1995)

An all-star band from the 90s. Of course, true to form I never heard of them until 20 years later. This is jingly jangly power pop of the Byrds variety; the sort I can never say no to.

An all-star band from the 90s. Of course, true to form I never heard of them until 20 years later. This is jingly jangly power pop of the Byrds variety; the sort I can never say no to.
This whole album is full of gems.

11. Indigo Girls “Pendulum Swinger” (from Despite Our Differences, 2006)

No list of rare songs from me would be complete without an Indigo Girls tune. They have been my favorite group of the last 30 years or so, not because of their politics or affiliation with LGBT movement but because I love the folky goodness which is a combination of of Joni Mitchell and Simon & Garfunkel. I generally prefer Emily Saliers’ songwriting to Amy Ray, but I love both.

My selection here, one of my favorites of theirs, is a celebration of Nancy Pelosi becoming Speaker of the House, the first woman to do so.

I thought I was aware of most of the all star bands/Supergroups, but this one is new to me.
From Wiki "At various times, members of Soul Asylum, The Replacements, Wilco, The Jayhawks, Run Westy Run, The Honeydogs and Big Star have worked with Golden Smog."

10. Ron Sexsmith “Snow Angel” (from Time Being, 2006)

Ron Sexsmith may be the best power pop artist I have ever heard. He is very much like Nick Lowe, except IMO his output is much more consistent. “Snow Angel” is my favorite tune by Sexsmith, an almost flawless pop ballad.

Ron Sexsmith may be the best power pop artist I have ever heard. He is very much like Nick Lowe, except IMO his output is much more consistent. “Snow Angel” is my favorite tune by Sexsmith, an almost flawless pop ballad.
Sexsmith is Canadian and I'm surprised he is known in the USA.
His most well known song is probably Secret Heart because Rod Stewart covered it.

Sexsmith is Canadian and I'm surprised he is known in the USA.
His most well known song is probably Secret Heart because Rod Stewart covered it.

While I'm here, my favorite Ron Sexsmith.

list will be finished this week. The top 9 includes:

1. Bob Dylan’s best Christian song,
2. A non-blues tune by BB King
3. A Velvet Underground song that did not appear on any of their studio albums.
4. The greatest country songwriter of all time.
5. The greatest blues guitarist of all time.
6. A blues cover of a Richie Havens classic.
7. An acoustic cover of a New Wave classic.
8. The best selling gospel song of all time, now largely forgotten.
9. A forgotten song by a famous songwriter about another famous songwriter.

1. Bob Dylan’s best Christian song

I hope it is
Every Grain of Sand

I hope it is
Foggy Notion

Knowing you, this is
Frente!'s version of Bizarre Love Triangle

Is it
O Happy Day by the Edwin Hawkins Singers
?

9. Bob Dylan “Precious Angel” (from Slow Train Running, 1979)

This is the one Dylan Christian song that falls into what I call the “epic” category; songs like “Like a Rolling Stone” “Stuck Inside of Mobile”, “Mississippi”, etc. Great music (partly due to Mark Knopfler on guitar), great lyrics (I especially love his comparison of Jesus with Buddha and Muhammad). Always loved this.

1. Bob Dylan’s best Christian song

I hope it is
Every Grain of Sand

I hope it is
Foggy Notion

Knowing you, this is
Frente!'s version of Bizarre Love Triangle

Is it
O Happy Day by the Edwin Hawkins Singers
?
I love 3 of these tunes (I don’t know the Frentel) but you’re 0 for 4.

Up to this point this thread has been your favorite obscure tunes, so no one can quibble about or second guess any selection.

However, in the bolded it seems that you will be going beyond that and will be holding yourself out as some sort of expert on country songwriting and blues guitarists (which you may well be).

With #5, I am curious how you will define "blues guitar." Will that be limited to traditional blues guitarists (Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy etc.) or rather will it be modern blues rock guitarists (Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.)? Or will this be some all inclusive combination?

Last edited:
8. B.B. King “Hummingbird” (from indianola Mississippi Seeds, 1970)

“Hummingbird”, written by Leon Russell, is not a blues song; it’s a pop rock song and sounds more like something George Harrison might have written at the time than anything else. Yet when B.B. got ahold of it he added certain blues nuances on his guitar and vocals. The result is pure magic and my favorite tune by this artist.

Up to this point this thread has been your favorite obscure tunes, so no one can quibble about or second guess any selection.

However, in the bolded it seems that you will be going beyond that and will be holding yourself out as some sort of expert on country songwriting and blues guitarists (which you may well be).

With #5, I am curious how you will define "blues guitar." Will that be limited to traditional blues guitarists (Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy etc.) or rather will it be modern blues rock guitarists (Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.)? Or will this be some all inclusive combination?
I do t know if I can call myself an expert on either. I’ve certainly listened to a lot of both (more blues than country) and have pretty strong opinions. After I reveal the selections you and everyone else reading this can decide if I am correct in my assumptions.

I do t know if I can call myself an expert on either. I’ve certainly listened to a lot of both (more blues than country) and have pretty strong opinions. After I reveal the selections you and everyone else reading this can decide if I am correct in my assumptions.

If you unequivocally say that someone is "The greatest blues guitarist of all time" then you are holding yourself out as an expert on the subject of blues guitarists, whether you call yourself that or not. If you say "This is my favorite blues guitarist" then that is just stating your opinion and no one should have an issue with that.

If you unequivocally say that someone is "The greatest blues guitarist of all time" then you are holding yourself out as an expert on the subject of blues guitarists, whether you call yourself that or not. If you say "This is my favorite blues guitarist" then that is just stating your opinion and no one should have an issue with that.
All of my views on these issues (as well as all issues) are completely objective and not subject to debate.

All of my views on these issues (as well as all issues) are completely objective and not subject to debate.
Can we get back to the countdown?

7. The Velvet Underground “Stephanie Says” (from VU, 1985)

VU was a collection of outtakes and songs by the band that were never previously released. It’s an awesome record and it was somewhat serependitious for me that it was released a couple months after I became obsessed with this band. Other great songs on this CD included “Foggy Notion” (which @Pip's Invitation guessed), “Temptation Inside Your Heart”, “Lisa Says”, “Ocean”; all complete gems. But for me “Stephanie Says”, originally recorded in 1967, is the best and a brilliant ballad that rivals the greatest things Lou Reed ever did.

8. B.B. King “Hummingbird” (from indianola Mississippi Seeds, 1970)

“Hummingbird”, written by Leon Russell, is not a blues song; it’s a pop rock song and sounds more like something George Harrison might have written at the time than anything else. Yet when B.B. got ahold of it he added certain blues nuances on his guitar and vocals. The result is pure magic and my favorite tune by this artist.
I was looking at the personnel on this and it’s pretty impressive: Leon Russell on keyboards, Joe Walsh on rhythm guitar, Russ Kunkel on drums, and Merry Clayton is one of the backup vocals.

Carole King played keyboards on several songs on the album, though not this song.

VU was a collection of outtakes and songs by the band that were never previously released. It’s an awesome record and it was somewhat serependitious for me that it was released a couple months after I became obsessed with this band. Other great songs on this CD included “Foggy Notion” (which @Pip's Invitation guessed), “Temptation Inside Your Heart”, “Lisa Says”, “Ocean”; all complete gems. But for me “Stephanie Says”, originally recorded in 1967, is the best and a brilliant ballad that rivals the greatest things Lou Reed ever did.
Somewhat related, I love that "I'll Be Your Mirror" has been all over the place in a recent commercial. Don't recall which product though.

Somewhat related, I love that "I'll Be Your Mirror" has been all over the place in a recent commercial. Don't recall which product though.
Ha! I’m the exact same way. I remember these commercials all the time but I can never recall the product; and when I do I can never name the brand. I think advertisers must really hate people like us.

6. Townes Van Zandt “I’ll Be Here In The Morning” (from For The Sake Of The Song, 1968)

Yet another artist I discovered only a few years ago long after he was no longer with us. Such great music especially on his first couple of albums. This is my favorite, beautiful and wistful. For me it’s one of the greatest country songs I’ve ever heard.

6. Townes Van Zandt “I’ll Be Here In The Morning” (from For The Sake Of The Song, 1968)

Yet another artist I discovered only a few years ago long after he was no longer with us. Such great music especially on his first couple of albums. This is my favorite, beautiful and wistful. For me it’s one of the greatest country songs I’ve ever heard.
I also discovered Van Zandt recently. His name always came up when musicians like Steve Earle were asked to name artists that influenced them. So, I checked him out and I'm glad I did.

5. Johnny Winter “Be Careful With A Fool” (from Johnny Winter, 1969)

IMO (that part was written for @squistion) Johnny Winter is the greatest blues guitarist of all time. Also IMO, this particular tune contains the single greatest guitar solo I have ever heard on a musical recording in any genre- yes better than any Hendrix solo, better than Eddie Van Halen’s “Eruption”, better than anything. If any of you are skeptical about this, take a listen. Although the guitar is great from the very beginning it really takes off with the solo after the second verse, and then he just keeps getting better and better. It’s simply an amazing listening experience and it never gets old.

4. Susan Tedeschi “Follow” (from Hope and Desire, 2005)

I actually learned about Susan Tedeschi around the time this album came out; it was playing at a Barnes & Noble as I was walking around the store. I quickly bought it. The album is a collection of covers of rock tunes that Susan interpreted with her incredible blues voice. It’s all great and none better than her rendition of the old Richie Havens classic.

IMO (that part was written for @squistion) Johnny Winter is the greatest blues guitarist of all time. Also IMO, this particular tune contains the single greatest guitar solo I have ever heard on a musical recording in any genre- yes better than any Hendrix solo, better than Eddie Van Halen’s “Eruption”, better than anything. If any of you are skeptical about this, take a listen. Although the guitar is great from the very beginning it really takes off with the solo after the second verse, and then he just keeps getting better and better. It’s simply an amazing listening experience and it never gets old.
I doubt those other guys pale in comparison to Johnny.

I doubt those other guys pale in comparison to Johnny.
Albino humor is very under-rated and rarely sees the light of day.

3. Oysterband (with June Tabor) “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (from The Big Session, Vol 1, 2004)

OK time for my favorite cover ever. The original “Love Will Tear Us Apart” was a classic tune- quite possibly the greatest New Wave/postpunk song of all time. Oysterband and June Tabor are traditional English folk artists. What they did here is turn the song inside out, focusing on its lyrics and stretching out the melody. The result is one of the most beautiful recordings I have ever heard. Enjoy.

2. Mahalia Jackson “Move On Up A Little Higher” (single, 1947)

How can a song that was the bestselling gospel hit of all time be considered obscure? It’s not, but it’s largely forgotten so I have placed it on this list and deservedly nearly at the very top. The tune itself is a precursor to rock and roll (the electric guitar riff is extremely sophisticated for its era and would make any rock guitarist proud). But it’s the vocals of course that make this special. If I had to rank the best singing I have ever heard on a popular recording, this is probably #1 for me. She was simply phenomenal.

1. Jimmy Webb “P.F. Sloan” (from Words And Music, 1970)

P.F. Sloan was a well known 60s songwriter who wrote “Eve of Destruction” for Barry Maguire. Jimmy Webb was a well known 60s songwriter who wrote “Wichita Lineman” for Glen Campbell. In 1970 Jimmy Webb wrote and released a song about P.F. Sloan. This song is my favorite “obscure” tune of all time.

I have no idea why it is is obscure. I listen to it and think it should have been a massive hit, so addictive is its melody. But most people have never heard of it.

That concludes this list. It’s been a lot of fun, though completely self-indulgent. I will have the 1974 thread in late March or early April.

If you enjoyed this list I would very much like to hear your thoughts on any the songs you weren’t familiar with. That would be a great pleasure to me, thanks.

That concludes this list. It’s been a lot of fun, though completely self-indulgent. I will have the 1974 thread in late March or early April.

If you enjoyed this list I would very much like to hear your thoughts on any the songs you weren’t familiar with. That would be a great pleasure to me, thanks.
Tim, any chance you can make this a spotify playlist? I'd dig tuning in...

Tim, any chance you can make this a spotify playlist? I'd dig tuning in...
Sorry I don’t use Spotify. Perhaps someone else?

Users who are viewing this thread