What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timmy’s 53 favorite obscure tunes #1. P.F. Sloan (3 Viewers)

Got through the rest of the playlist - nothing really jumped at me except The Clash song (which I already knew). Most of the songs were fairly generic sounding.

I did like Proof, Turtle Dove and Falling.

Ben Kweller kind of reminded me of Ben Folds.

36. Rufus Wainwright “California” (from Poses, 2001)

Rufus, from a pretty famous family of performers, is a terrific songwriter, and this album features some of his very best material. The song I selected is both great rock and roll and a brilliant, cynical takedown of my beloved home state.
At first I thought this was gonna be the Joni Mitchell song and was like, c'mon Tim, that's not obscure. :laugh:

Was hoping for Phantom Planet and Tim was a big "The O.C." fan.

Got through the rest of the playlist - nothing really jumped at me except The Clash song (which I already knew). Most of the songs were fairly generic sounding.

Ben Folds, Ben Kweller and Ben Lee put out a 4-song EP in 2003 called, of course, The Bens. The highlights are Folds' "Bruised" and the track written by all three, "Just Pretend".

35. Bearfoot “Before I Go” (from Doors and Windows, 2009)

Another folk group, this one originally a bluegrass band who added singing later on. The song chosen is actually a cover of a John Hiatt tune though I did not know that until this morning. Hiatt is an artist I like in small doses, for me a better songwriter than performer (much like Leonard Cohen, one of whose songs covered by a different artist will also make an appearance on this list later on.) I just listened to his original version and I don’t prefer it. The sweet vocals and harmonies here make the song.

I’m probably a generic kind of guy. Never thought of it that way. Perhaps my tastes are a little bland. We’ll see what you think of the rest of it.

I’m probably a generic kind of guy. Never thought of it that way. Perhaps my tastes are a little bland. We’ll see what you think of the rest of it.
That was the second half of the list (post Billy Bragg/Wilco). I commented on a few songs from the first half that I really liked in earlier posts.

34. Aimee Mann “Mr. Harris” (from Whatever, 1993)

For over 30 years now, ever since her beginnings as the lead singer of ‘Til Tuesday, Aimee Mann has been writing and singing one brilliant tune after another, though she’s only had a very few hits in her long career. This piano ballad from her first album was certainly not one of them, but it’s probably my favorite song by her, although there are so many that I love. It’s really gorgeous.

33. Judee Sill “Crayon Angels” (from Judee Sill, 1971)

Most people who read these threads know that one of my favorite musical eras is the early 70s singer/songwriter era- I believe that artists like James Taylor, Carole King, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, et. al. crafted songs that stand the test of time and are as strong as any era ever of music before or sense.

Judee Sill is one of the forgotten geniuses of that era. She didn’t sell nearly as well as the famous artists I referenced but her records and compositions are just as strong. “Crayon Angels” from her debut album is one of her most brilliant efforts.

32. Melanie “Do You Believe” (from Stoneground Words, 1972)

Yet another early 70s singer/songwriter. Melanie , who died only recently, is best remembered for her novelty song “Brand New Key”, but this tune is more representative of her fine songwriting skills. The lilt in her vocals reminds me a little of the Cranberries.

Perhaps my tastes are a little bland.
I wouldn't necessarily say "bland" - but you do lean heavily into mellow singer/songwriter types. I'm listening to Aime Mann song now and it fits in perfect with your wheelhouse.

I do like this one quite a bit - like the soft woodwind instrument fillers.

31. Stiff Little Fingers “Just Fade Away” (from Go Get It!, 1981)

Time for a little early punk rock. Stiff Little Fingers is a band from Ulster, and so far as I know they are still performing. They made no impact to speak of in America but I’ve always loved this particular single, so I had to include it on this list.

Time for a little early punk rock. Stiff Little Fingers is a band from Ulster, and so far as I know they are still performing. They made no impact to speak of in America but I’ve always loved this particular single, so I had to include it on this list.
My college suite-mate had one of their CDs so I’m familiar with them. The CD was on a few times but don’t recall much - liked it at the time.

I don’t know much about Stiff Little Fingers, but they have connections to two of my favorite bands.

Bruce Foxton, bassist of The Jam, served the same role in Stiff Little Fingers from 1990 to 2005.

Stiff Little Fingers’ “Suspect Device” has been covered by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. I took the original in the British Isles countdown.

30. Madeleine Peyroux “Dance Me To The End Of Love” ( from Careless Love, 2004)

This is a Leonard Cohen song and his own presentation of it is typically weird. Madeleine Peyroux is probably my favorite jazz vocalist and she offers a tremendous cover, Peyroux’s voice is just amazing: a combination of Billy Holiday and the great soul singers of the 1960s. And the musicians here are all top notch.

Learned about Stiff Little Fingers (and The Beta Band and 13th Floor Elevators) from High Fidelity. One of the many reasons I love that movie so much.

Learned about Stiff Little Fingers (and The Beta Band and 13th Floor Elevators) from High Fidelity. One of the many reasons I love that movie so much.
and Stevie Wonder.

29. Bill Withers “Sweet Wanomi” (from Just As I Am, 1971)

Most people can name two Bill Withers’ songs: “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lean On Me”. But in fact he was a prolific singer/songwriter in the early 70s, and his first two albums are excellent. Love this bluesy tune from his debut.

28. North Mississippi Allstars “Mean Ol’ Wind Dies Down” (from Electric Blue Watermelon, 2005)

North Mississippi Allstars keeping up the tradition of southern blues. These guys are connected to the Black Crowes- Luther Dickenson was their guitarist for a long time. I love this tune and the bottleneck guitar here is terrific.

29. Bill Withers “Sweet Wanomi” (from Just As I Am, 1971)

Most people can name two Bill Withers’ songs: “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lean On Me”. But in fact he was a prolific singer/songwriter in the early 70s, and his first two albums are excellent. Love this bluesy tune from his debut.
Pretty much everything on his first two albums is great.

27. Alvin Youngblood Hart “Hillbilly Willie’s Blues” (from Big Mama’s Door, 1996)

Hart is one of several modern acoustic blues men to emerge in the 1990s, along with Keb’ Mo’ and Eric Bibb, to carry on the tradition of the Delta: picking guitar and banjo blues with few or no accompaniments. This tune, a cover of the classic Blind Willie Mctell standard, has always been my favorite of his.

26. The Rave-Ups “For The Loser (Hallelujah)” (from Chance, 1990)

Talk about a forgotten band. The Rave-Ups were a local 80s New Wave band in Los Angeles, transported from Pittsburgh, who were friends with Molly Ringwald, and she pushed John Hughes to include their song “Positively Lost Me” (great great tune) for the film- Pretty In Pink. You might remember them, they’re playing at the club that Jon Cryer can’t get into.

At that point this band was never heard from again. Except that they put out a couple more albums including one in 1990 called Chance that nobody bought or listened to- except me. There was this one song on that album that I absolutely loved, couldn’t get enough of. Then I too forgot about it until a few years ago I watched the movie with my kids and I remembered owning that album. I found “For The Loser” on ITunes and it was as great as I remembered. Been on my playlists ever since.

25. Blue Mountain “Blue Canoe” (from Dog Days, 1995)

Blue Mountain is yet another roots/Americana band from Mississippi. The bass player is the twin sister of the bass player from Wilco. This song rocks; even the yodeling works.

25. Blue Mountain “Blue Canoe” (from Dog Days, 1995)

Blue Mountain is yet another roots/Americana band from Mississippi. The bass player is the twin sister of the bass player from Wilco. This song rocks; even the yodeling works.
John and Laurie Stirratt played in a band called the Hilltops in the late '80s/early 90s that opened for the first lineup of Uncle Tupelo. When UT decided to expand their lineup, they asked John Stirratt to join them, and he followed Jeff Tweedy to Wilco after UT broke up.

24. The Vapors “Jimmie Jones” (from Magnets, 1981)

The Vapors were of course known for the their classic one hit wonder “Turning Japanese”. But their debut album on which that song appeared, New Clear Days, is for my money one of the greatest New Wave albums of all time, filled with power pop gems- there isn’t one weak tune on the entire record. And even after that the band’s BEST song appears on their second album, Magnets. A creepy tune about the cult leader from Jonestown, set to a terrific rock and roll melody.

24. The Vapors “Jimmie Jones” (from Magnets, 1981)

The Vapors were of course known for the their classic one hit wonder “Turning Japanese”. But their debut album on which that song appeared, New Clear Days, is for my money one of the greatest New Wave albums of all time, filled with power pop gems- there isn’t one weak tune on the entire record. And even after that the band’s BEST song appears on their second album, Magnets. A creepy tune about the cult leader from Jonestown, set to a terrific rock and roll melody.
I prefer Jimmy James myself.
Jimmy James

34. Aimee Mann “Mr. Harris” (from Whatever, 1993)

For over 30 years now, ever since her beginnings as the lead singer of ‘Til Tuesday, Aimee Mann has been writing and singing one brilliant tune after another, though she’s only had a very few hits in her long career. This piano ballad from her first album was certainly not one of them, but it’s probably my favorite song by her, although there are so many that I love. It’s really gorgeous.
I have only recently discovered the greatness that is Aimee Mann. I mean, I knew Til Tuesday but I had no idea that she was still writing and performing. She's just one of those talents that can sit there with an acoustic guitar and wow you.

23. Nico “I’ll Keep It With Mine” (from Chelsea Girl, 1967)

Nico’s cover a pretty rare Bob Dylan song appeared on her solo album. Musicians here include Lou Reed and John Cale- no wonder it sounds so much like a Velvet Underground song! The guitarist was Nico’s teenage boyfriend Jackson Browne.

Nico’s vocals are so distinctive- I’ve never heard another singer who sounds quite like her.

22. Silver Jews “Random Rules” (from American Water, 1998)

Over the years I have tried to listen to many artists described as “The next Lou Reed”; I’m usually disappointed. David Berman of Silver Jews has come the closest for me to being the next Lou Reed; unfortunately by the time I discovered him, about a year ago, he was already long since dead: suicide by heroin about 15 years ago. That didn’t stop me from eagerly seeking out and appreciating a lot of his material. Brilliant, poetic lyrics, strong pop melodies, dark humor and an incisive look at society: he checks all the boxes. The first line of “Random Rules” is “In 1984 I was hospitalized for nearing perfection”. Thats terrific songwriting.

34. Aimee Mann

32. Melanie

31. Stiff Little Fingers

29. Bill Withers

All amazing acts—and somehow all underrated acts in our collective lexicon. I'll be interested to hear all of these when I get a chance.

eta* and The Vapors were a very cool power-pop act. Looking forward to listening to their song, too.

Last edited:
Were you familiar with him? Like I wrote I had never heard of him until last year.

Yes, but only because I'd read articles about him. I am still not really that familiar with his work, though he was featured in MAD II (I did not participate). His father was somebody high up in the Bush administration, and I remember he was deeply conflicted about that. It added to his mental outlook and anguish. That's why I remember the story. It was a tragedy. I hate hearing about people undergoing such pain that they take their own life and then subsequently cause a new pain and a newfound ache of absence to the people who loved them.

It's just unspeakably tragic. Not in the way like a war is, but in a way where our existential fabric gets torn and we're left longing and hurting.

RIP, David Berman. You are missed here.

21. Mudcrutch “Trailer” (from Mudcrutch, 2016)

“Trailer” is a song by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, written and recorded in 1985 during the Southern Accent sessions but not included on the album. I first heard it as part of a Tom Petty CD collection called “B-sides and Rarities”. Later on it was finally released as part of the 2016 Mudcrutch reunion album of Petty’s original Florida band.
Since I first heard this tune some 20 years ago it’s always been one of my favorite Petty songs and I’m happy he finally decided to release it on an album, which makes it accessible on ITunes.

21. Mudcrutch “Trailer” (from Mudcrutch, 2016)

“Trailer” is a song by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, written and recorded in 1985 during the Southern Accent sessions but not included on the album. I first heard it as part of a Tom Petty CD collection called “B-sides and Rarities”. Later on it was finally released as part of the 2016 Mudcrutch reunion album of Petty’s original Florida band.
Since I first heard this tune some 20 years ago it’s always been one of my favorite Petty songs and I’m happy he finally decided to release it on an album, which makes it accessible on ITunes.
Love the Mudcrutch albums. They have most of what made Petty great but also veer off into directions the Heartbreakers never took.

20. The Black Keys “Crawling Kingsnake” (from Delta Kream, 2021)

“Crawling Kingsnake” is a traditional blues song with a very long history: the first recording is over 100 years ago by Blind Lemon Jefferson. John Lee Hooker did a famous version and the Doors a rock and roll cover. But the Black Keys’ version is a direct and faithful cover of Junior Kimbrough.

In recent years the late Junior Kimbrough has become my favorite blues artist, due to his distinctive guitar which I can never get enough of. However I have chosen the Black Keys cover because due to better studios and technology their sound is a little sharper and richer sounding. That being said, make no mistake: as they would tell you themselves they are being extremely faithful to Junior here: every intonation and chord change is his; even the great drumming follows whoever was Kimbrough’s original drummer.

19. Hiss Golden Messenger “Jenny of the Roses” (from Hallelujah Anyhow, 2017)

Another folk/roots band I only discovered recently. Their stuff is generally pleasant but I love this tune in particular, can’t get it out of my head. Dylanish.

18. John Cale “Paris 1919” (from Paris 1919, 1973)

John Cale was Lou Reed’s erstwhile partner on the first two albums of the Velvet Underground. Like Reed, Cale then went on to a solo career in the 70s. His first couple of records are absolutely brilliant. A bit like Brian Eno only better IMO. “Paris 1919” is an amazing gem of a song.

17. Fleetwood Mac “Spare Me A Little” (from Bare Trees, 1972)

Christine McVie was writing and singing great pop tunes a few years before Stevie and Lindsay joined the band. Problem was, nobody was really listening. But “Spare Me A Little” in particular is a song worthy of Fleetwood Mac or Rumours. RIP Christine.

16. Karine Polwart “Daisy” (from Scribbed In Chalk, 2006)

Simply put, this ballad by Scottish folk singer Karine Polwart is one of the prettiest songs I’ve ever heard.

15. John Stewart “Kansas Rain” (from Sunstorm, 1972)

The late John Stewart is probably best remembered as the guy who wrote “Daydream Believer” for the Monkees, but he was also a terrific performer and singer/songwriter in his own right. “Kansas Rain” is a my favorite tune by him and a constant on my playlists.

15. John Stewart “Kansas Rain” (from Sunstorm, 1972)

The late John Stewart is probably best remembered as the guy who wrote “Daydream Believer” for the Monkees, but he was also a terrific performer and singer/songwriter in his own right. “Kansas Rain” is a my favorite tune by him and a constant on my playlists.
He's probably best known for his 1979 top 5 hit Gold, with Stevie Nicks doing backup vocals.

ETA: he was also a member of The Kingston Trio

14. Colin Hay “Waiting For My Real Life To Begin” (from Going Somewhere, 2001)

Colin Hay was the lead singer and songwriter for Men At Work. He has some fine tunes as a solo artist, none better than this gorgeous ballad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread