What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Today at the Gym (1 Viewer)

worrierking

Footballguy
I am spending my lunch hour at the gym most days and I am getting in great shape.  I am mostly lifting weights and I am probably as strong as I have ever been in my life, although I am not a bulky-muscle guy.

Today at the gym, I finished a hard set of thigh curls, for the quads, and moved to the next machine.  A girl I've seen at the gym many times sits down at the machine I had just left and I watch her select the weight she would be lifting, my male ego secretly hoping she would select a much lighter weight than I had just completed (with a slight struggle, but no audible grunting).  The girl is young, about 30 I guess, and very pretty, and very short--likely less than five feet.  She is very strong-looking , with obvious biceps, etc., but still very attractive (she was not wearing yoga pants, so I think my description passes the new rules).  I am thrilled to see that she takes the weight I had just been lifting and moves up one slot on the machine to make it just a little lighter and my ego is rescued from embarrassment.  

I can't help but watch and see how many repetitions she does at the weight she selected and I count 20, which is just exactly what I had done three times (at the slightly higher weight).  She rapidly does another set while I am on the new machine.  I finish up and walk past her and realize she is doing her sets with only one leg and alternating (of course I had used both legs).  I think I'll take up needlepoint or baking or something more befitting my athletic ability.

I am spending my lunch hour at the gym most days and I am getting in great shape.  I am mostly lifting weights and I am probably as strong as I have ever been in my life, although I am not a bulky-muscle guy.

Today at the gym, I finished a hard set of thigh curls, for the quads, and moved to the next machine.  A girl I've seen at the gym many times sits down at the machine I had just left and I watch her select the weight she would be lifting, my male ego secretly hoping she would select a much lighter weight than I had just completed (with a slight struggle, but no audible grunting).  The girl is young, about 30 I guess, and very pretty, and very short--likely less than five feet.  She is very strong-looking , with obvious biceps, etc., but still very attractive (she was not wearing yoga pants, so I think my description passes the new rules).  I am thrilled to see that she takes the weight I had just been lifting and moves up one slot on the machine to make it just a little lighter and my ego is rescued from embarrassment.  

I can't help but watch and see how many repetitions she does at the weight she selected and I count 20, which is just exactly what I had done three times (at the slightly higher weight).  She rapidly does another set while I am on the new machine.  I finish up and walk past her and realize she is doing her sets with only one leg and alternating (of course I had used both legs).  I think I'll take up needlepoint or baking or something more befitting my athletic ability.
I hate to break it to you - well, no that' incorrect as I like to break this to you - but my sister holds state of Ohio and World records in powerlifing in the organization she belongs to.

do you even lift?

I just got into lifting and the last thing you need to be worrying about is what others are doing.  Everyone is there for the same goal and that's to get in better shape.  They're not worried about you other than what you're thinking about them.  

P.S.  Some of the biggest guys in my gym are lifting some of the lightest weights.  It's because they're focused on form and intensity rather than moving the most weight from A -> B.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Look on the bright side - no one can say you lift like a girl!

You say the girl is young, like 30. I assume this means you are at least 45+? I certainly wouldn’t be worried about with this “young“ girl is doing. When the geriatric lady start whipping your ###, then you need to worry.

Keep going dude. Keep a healthy diet, too. I haven't drank since 2018 and have been at the gym at least once a day every day this year. I'm with you. The results are starting to really show too, and I also been destroying it in the bedroom - really liking my entire life right now. Don't worry about the leg thing - and honestly, your mentality might be overdue for improvement if a girl being stronger than you is off-putting. Is that really an issue for you? One of the girls I date is always worried about dudes staring at her at the gym - and in the stories she tells me, her only saving grace seems to be that she lifts way more weight with her legs than any of the dudes. So yeah. You might have yourself a good anecdote here, but have just approached it incorrectly which halted its entertainment value. What's your diet like and do you have a girlfriend?

The gym is a strange place. Had to go there this past week to run on a treadmill since it was so damn cold outside. This was my first time ever in a gym. The treadmills were in the middle of the room, and in front of the treadmills were a row of elliptical machines. And then a running track in front of that. A list of things I saw in two days:

1. A dude work out on a recumbent bike wearing jeans, sweater, and a long sleeve shirt under the sweater.

2. A guy walking backwards on the elliptical machine for his whole workout.

3. One lady working on the elliptical like she was preparing for a pole dance. She would hop from side to side on that thing, so basically both legs would be on one pedal. She would turn that thing with both legs on one side, then one leg, then one leg with the other leg pointing straight back, then move to the other pedal and repeat the whole process, all while arching her back and staring at the ceiling.

4. An older couple come in, put these plastic cover things for books over the elliptical electronics to "hold" their machine, then walk off for 20 minutes, then come back and start working out and reading basically a novel.

The gym is a strange place. Had to go there this past week to run on a treadmill since it was so damn cold outside. This was my first time ever in a gym. The treadmills were in the middle of the room, and in front of the treadmills were a row of elliptical machines. And then a running track in front of that. A list of things I saw in two days:

1. A dude work out on a recumbent bike wearing jeans, sweater, and a long sleeve shirt under the sweater.

3. One lady working on the elliptical like she was preparing for a pole dance. She would hop from side to side on that thing, so basically both legs would be on one pedal. She would turn that thing with both legs on one side, then one leg, then one leg with the other leg pointing straight back, then move to the other pedal and repeat the whole process, all while arching her back and staring at the ceiling.

4. An older couple come in, put these plastic cover things for books over the elliptical electronics to "hold" their machine, then walk off for 20 minutes, then come back and start working out and reading basically a novel.
Also known as January in the gym. I can’t wait for a few more weeks to go by when all the resolutionists go back to staying home. 

My local crime blog always mentions thefts at these places. I just assume some of the members can't afford their supply of HGH.

working out and reading basically a novel
I've probably read over 30 books on the elliptical. It's one of my favorite activities! I use a cheapo $99 10" tablet/reader. Belichick has a walking desk/treadmill hybrid in his office. Like a treadmill had sex with a desk. That's where I got the idea. It's like combining two things that kinda suck, but when done together absolutely rule. I made straight As in business school doing the exact same thing with the e-textbooks.

This was my first time ever in a gym.
There's way more bizarre stuff than that. As long as they're not hurting anyone, let people do whatever the hell they need to do in there. A lot of needs get met at the gym than just increased heart rate and resistance training.

As long as they're not hurting anyone, let people do whatever the hell they need to do in there. A lot of needs get met at the gym than just increased heart rate and resistance training.
Oh sure. Didn't bother me one bit. Just fascinating people watching. 

Does not compute.

Thigh curls?

Dude, never ever leave the power rack.  I may accept a visit to the leg press if you've got horrible back issues and can't squat. 

edit:  never mind, no leg presses either.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thigh curls?

Dude, never ever leave the power rack.  I may accept a visit to the leg press if you've got horrible back issues and can't squat. 

edit:  never mind, no leg presses either.  
This is the problem.   Guy is embarrassed of his chicken legs.   Thigh curls are not a thing and not the answer to his problem.   He should ask hot girl for her leg day routine.   

Only thing worse than newbies at the gym are the gym rat dooshes who make fun of the newbies for not knowing what things are called 
Well, it isn't the only thing. You have Mr. Sit on the bench for 20 minutes using my cell phone and not actually lifting guy, things like that. But yea.

Sounds like you were creepy and staring at her. 

Did you talk to her?  Say hi? Smile? Let it slide out from under your workout shorts to let her see what you are working with?

Users who are viewing this thread