What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Stewart killed Driver Kevin Ward in an on track incident (1 Viewer)

Are people really insinuating that a well known race car driver intentionally ran over a competitor? That seems incredible. Is Stewart a known sociopath?
Feisty and a hothead.

No excuses and a young man is dead here but I suppose it could have been one dumb moment that will be eternal in some form or fashion. RIP to Mr. Ward.

Have to figure the best case scenario is he looses a tremendous wrongful death judgement and never races again.

Last edited by a moderator:
NBA took the Clippers away from Sterling for using inappropriate language. Will NASCAR strip Tony Stewart of his team for killing a 17 yo. Will it now only be called Haas racing. Wonder if all his sponsors will be on his car tomorrow.
If he did this deliberately, he's going to prison. Whatever NASCAR does is secondary, no?

This was in I think the twitter comments (or it could be an update, take it for what its worth) apologies for the caps lock, its how it was posted

SMOKETimothy Burke

Today 12:34am
WAS AT SPEEDWAY AND RIGHT NEAR TONY STEWARTS RACE HAULER.AFTER HE CAME IN HE HAD THE CREW CHAGE HIS RIGHT REAR TIRE .THEY ENDED UP PUTTING A LEFT ONE ON. COPS WERE TOLD ABOUT IT SO HOPEFULLY THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. HE ALSO HAD A GO PRO CAMERA ON HIS CAR HOPEFULLY THEY CONFISCATE THAT ALSO BEFORE THAT GETS DESTROYED. HEARD THE YOUNG DRIVER DIDN'T MAKE IT AND I HOPE IT'S NOT TRUE BUT THEY WOULDN'T BRING TONY OUT UNTIL ALL OTHER HAULERS WERE GONE .ALOT OF POLICE AROUND HIS HAULER ALONG WITH HIS PERSONEL SECURITY. HOPE IF THIS IS ALL TRUE WHAT HAPPENED ON THE TRACK THAT HE DOESN'T GET AWAY WITH IT. HE FINALLY LET HIS TEMPER GET THE BEST OF HIM........
So Stewart had a Go-Pro camera equipped and still proceeded to plow over his enemy at 100 mph? Babe the Blue Ox is impressed with this balls on this guy.

This was in I think the twitter comments (or it could be an update, take it for what its worth) apologies for the caps lock, its how it was posted

SMOKETimothy Burke

Today 12:34am

WAS AT SPEEDWAY AND RIGHT NEAR TONY STEWARTS RACE HAULER.AFTER HE CAME IN HE HAD THE CREW CHAGE HIS RIGHT REAR TIRE .THEY ENDED UP PUTTING A LEFT ONE ON. COPS WERE TOLD ABOUT IT SO HOPEFULLY THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. HE ALSO HAD A GO PRO CAMERA ON HIS CAR HOPEFULLY THEY CONFISCATE THAT ALSO BEFORE THAT GETS DESTROYED. HEARD THE YOUNG DRIVER DIDN'T MAKE IT AND I HOPE IT'S NOT TRUE BUT THEY WOULDN'T BRING TONY OUT UNTIL ALL OTHER HAULERS WERE GONE .ALOT OF POLICE AROUND HIS HAULER ALONG WITH HIS PERSONEL SECURITY. HOPE IF THIS IS ALL TRUE WHAT HAPPENED ON THE TRACK THAT HE DOESN'T GET AWAY WITH IT. HE FINALLY LET HIS TEMPER GET THE BEST OF HIM........
So Stewart had a Go-Pro camera equipped and still proceeded to plow over his enemy at 100 mph? Babe the Blue Ox is impressed with this balls on this guy.
My guess is he was looking to show off / show the kid up. Maybe intended to graze him, do a big Yeeee Haawwww fir the fans. Did more than he intended, because it was a ####### stupid idea... Which should be enough for reckless homicide.

Obviously, if Tony hit the guy intentionally he needs to, and will go to jail. There's no excuse if it can be proved to be intentional. However, if the kid did get out of his car and run at a moving race car, that was incredibly stupid. At this point, we shouldn't be talking about Tony Stewart's temper killing someone, we should be talking about an ignorant 17 year old kid's temper killing himself. There's also no excuse for putting yourself in that danger, if it did happen as reported.

gotta feel terrible for T stew, can you imagine how bad he must feel having to face jail and what not. I am sure he didn't mean to do it IF he did, just absolutely terrible.

Why did he take his car to the garage and have the left rear tire changed. When police seized car they noticed left rear was clean. If it was an accident what is he trying to hide.

Obviously, if Tony hit the guy intentionally he needs to, and will go to jail. There's no excuse if it can be proved to be intentional. However, if the kid did get out of his car and run at a moving race car, that was incredibly stupid. At this point, we shouldn't be talking about Tony Stewart's temper killing someone, we should be talking about an ignorant 17 year old kid's temper killing himself. There's also no excuse for putting yourself in that danger, if it did happen as reported.
Yeah ok guy

gotta feel terrible for T stew, can you imagine how bad he must feel having to face jail and what not. I am sure he didn't mean to do it IF he did, just absolutely terrible.
I'll feel bad for the kid and his family, not Stewart.

Just terrible.

I predict Tony will say he didn't see the guy until the last second. At that time he tried to avoid him but couldn't.

He won't race again this year but will be back next year.

No charges. Mostly because the guy put himself at risk by standing on a racetrack during a race.

Where are the FBG attorney's. How damaging of a Civil Suit can Tony face. 17 racing at that level can parents prove he could of made it to the Sprint Series and would earn millions per year. Can his net worth be wiped out by this incident.

Yeah ok guy
If you walk out on a racetrack during a race, sometimes you get hit.

ETA: After watching the video above, it's 100% the kids fault. The car in front of Tony almost clipped him, and then Tony hit him. It sucks that the kid couldn't control his own temper, but he put himself at risk and got ran over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in a few wrecks in my time. Never once was my first inclination to waltz out into moving traffic. Tragedy, but the kid got exactly what was coming to him trying to show Smoke up. Looking at the video he made a fast move right at Smoke's car as the first car went by. Idiot.

They are both idiots. Can we agree on that?
Yes, but one of them is guilty of reckless homicide, Can we agree on that?
I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I really don't get this point of view after watching the clip. The kid got out of his car and ran towards moving cars. The car in front of Tony Stewart swerved at the last second. It's possible that he hit him on purpose, but it can never be proven, especially after watching that video.

I've been in a few wrecks in my time. Never once was my first inclination to waltz out into moving traffic. Tragedy, but the kid got exactly what was coming to him trying to show Smoke up. Looking at the video he made a fast move right at Smoke's car as the first car went by. Idiot.
Just one man's opinion, but having viewed that, let's not call him Smoke. How about Tony Stewart, until he gets an inmate number? He gunned the throttle. Yes, Ward was stupid. As 17 years are apt to being. Stewart gunned the throttle. Not to avoid. Out of aggression. It was fatal.

Stewart has been involved in dozens of altercations on NASCAR tracks, and although he has proven to be a hothead in post race interviews, the guy would never mow someone down intentionally. He is very well respected among his peers. There has to be some expected consequence for walking out onto a dirt track with moving vehicles. Sadly, in this case it was death. Not Stewart's fault, judging from that video.

Just one man's opinion, but having viewed that, let's not call him Smoke. How about Tony Stewart, until he gets an inmate number? He gunned the throttle. Yes, Ward was stupid. As 17 years are apt to being. Stewart gunned the throttle. Not to avoid. Out of aggression. It was fatal.
You can tell he gunned his throttle from the video?

The guy in front of Stewart was going even faster than Tony was. Tragic accident and a good lesson to stay in your car after you wipe it out, or at the very least, don't jump out looking to take on a 2,000 pound automobile.

Stewart has been involved in dozens of altercations on NASCAR tracks, and although he has proven to be a hothead in post race interviews, the guy would never mow someone down intentionally. He is very well respected among his peers. There has to be some expected consequence for walking out onto a dirt track with moving vehicles. Sadly, in this case it was death. Not Stewart's fault, judging from that video.
Here's case closed. He gunned the throttle. Only viable explanation is that:1. He saw Ward

2. It was intended to at the very least be an intentional message

Because the only credible excuse goes away when you gun the throttle, which is that you saw him at the very last second.

Defend all you want. Kid didn't do himself any favors. But it turned out to be exactly what it sounded like when it was reported.

No excuse for gunning that throttle.

Kid had it coming won't cut it.

Last edited:
You can clearly hear it.

Tragic accident and a good lesson to stay in your car after you wipe it out, or at the very least, don't jump out looking to take on a 2,000 pound automobile.
I think you are watching a different video than the rest of us. Stewart is a professional driver. He had at least 10 feet of open track to his left if he really wanted to avoid the kid.

You can clearly hear it.
Wait, so there was a microphone in that video trained solely on Stewart's car?

Maybe he gunned it to try and aid the swerve out of the way? I know nothing about these cars but someone mentioned in one of the first posts that gunning one of these things swerves it to the left.

You should probably stop posting for a while before someone reports this and you get sued.

You can clearly hear it.
At work with no sound. I'll have to watch it on my phone when I go to break.

You can clearly hear it.
Let me rephrase:

You can clearly hear it... When you're not idolizing "Smoke."

Tragic accident and a good lesson to stay in your car after you wipe it out, or at the very least, don't jump out looking to take on a 2,000 pound automobile.
I think you are watching a different video than the rest of us. Stewart is a professional driver. He had at least 10 feet of open track to his left if he really wanted to avoid the kid.
It's a dirt track. Let's not just make silly assumptions here. From what I see, a hot headed kid wiped his car out, and decided he was going to get out of his car, walk directly toward moving sprint cars (not just Stewart's, BTW) and try to show up a guy who has had more success this year coming off a busted leg than the kid will have in his entire racing career. It's silly. You think if someone other than Stewart is involved in that crash, the kid does anything? No, he takes his medicine and moves on. In this case, he gets nicked by a 3 time NASCAR champion and decides he is going to have a story to tell his buddies. Didn't work out quite so well for him.

You can clearly hear it.
Let me rephrase:

You can clearly hear it... When you're not idolizing "Smoke."
Ham, I'm a Dale Jr. fan. Never once rooted for Stewart to win a race or a title or any of the stuff he has done. But watching that video, nobody will ever convince me that he had any intention of running the kid down.

It's a dirt track. Let's not just make silly assumptions here. From what I see, a hot headed kid wiped his car out, and decided he was going to get out of his car, walk directly toward moving sprint cars (not just Stewart's, BTW) and try to show up a guy who has had more success this year coming off a busted leg than the kid will have in his entire racing career. It's silly. You think if someone other than Stewart is involved in that crash, the kid does anything? No, he takes his medicine and moves on. In this case, he gets nicked by a 3 time NASCAR champion and decides he is going to have a story to tell his buddies. Didn't work out quite so well for him.
Go to bed before you make further regrettable posts. Not sure that's really possible though. I'm honestly trying to help you out here.

Go to bed before you make further regrettable posts. Not sure that's really possible though. I'm honestly trying to help you out here.
Fair enough RN. Just hate seeing people jump to conclusions, although I may be admittedly guilty of that in this case. Let's see how it plays out.

You should probably stop posting for a while before someone reports this and you get sued.
Go to Deadspin if you want to read all manner of opinions that look my clearly stated opinion seem tame. It would be a pretty big effort to make "guy with an opinion on the Internet" on message boards a standard for lawsuits.

I grant you that Ward did something very stupid - but my interpretation of what I saw in that video is that Stewart did not try to avoid at all. And that's a polite reading of it. And he had a deadly weapon, if that's how he in fact chose to yield it.

This is going to be a hotly charged issue for a long time. It's going to be the Trayvon Martin on the sporting world, I'm guessing.

Buckle in.

Users who are viewing this thread