What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 Impact Rookies over last 25 years (1 Viewer)

I think the Steelers make the playoffs that year without Roth if and ONLY IF they change the game plan the way they did when Roth came in. Argue it all you want, the Steelers thought they were the 1999 Rams with Tommy Maddox back there. Once Maddox went down, they went back to smash mouth football with very little emphasis on the QB throwing the ball/winning games. The turn around of that team had very little to do with Roth and a lot to do with a great running game, great defense and a mistake free game plan for the QB.

Not taking a whole lot away from Roth, the kid can play but that season was really over rated in my opinion.
Nonsense......In the only game that season that The Steelers played a full game with a healthy Maddox, they threw the ball a total of 22 times. In the dramatic Big Ben engineered come from behind win against the Cowboys, they threw the ball 25 times.In 2002 The Steelers threw the ball because the defense couldn't stop the pass,

2003 was a complete disaster in which the defense couldn't stop the pass and the offense couldn't establish the run or pass.

2004 brought in the WHIS era, At the end of 2003 MikeMularkey was sent packing to Buffalo and he took his 38 passes in a blinding NYC Snow Storm, during a one score game, offensive philosophy with him.

Rothelisberger deseves enormous credit for being the rookie that kept that Steeler machinery humming.

That season could have easily been a complete disaster.

James and Faulk should both be on the list - both had great rookie years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Steelers make the playoffs that year without Roth if and ONLY IF they change the game plan the way they did when Roth came in. Argue it all you want, the Steelers thought they were the 1999 Rams with Tommy Maddox back there. Once Maddox went down, they went back to smash mouth football with very little emphasis on the QB throwing the ball/winning games. The turn around of that team had very little to do with Roth and a lot to do with a great running game, great defense and a mistake free game plan for the QB.

Not taking a whole lot away from Roth, the kid can play but that season was really over rated in my opinion.
Nonsense......In the only game that season that The Steelers played a full game with a healthy Maddox, they threw the ball a total of 22 times. In the dramatic Big Ben engineered come from behind win against the Cowboys, they threw the ball 25 times.In 2002 The Steelers threw the ball because the defense couldn't stop the pass,

2003 was a complete disaster in which the defense couldn't stop the pass and the offense couldn't establish the run or pass.

2004 brought in the WHIS era, At the end of 2003 MikeMularkey was sent packing to Buffalo and he took his 38 passes in a blinding NYC Snow Storm, during a one score game, offensive philosophy with him.

Rothelisberger deseves enormous credit for being the rookie that kept that Steeler machinery humming.

No way. You are blinded by homerism obviously. Throwing the ball 25 times is asking the guy not to lose. Most QB have 25 completions at the end of the game, not 25 attempts. The offense was dumbed down so that Roth could succeed. And he didn't win that game against the Cowboys. Come on now. That was all defense.

Well, Sanders was a much better player than Roethlisberger is at this point, but his teams never really won anything, so it depends on how you define "impact", I guess.
This is just for their rookie year, right?Hard to argue against Sanders impact as a rookie. 1750 combined yardage as a rookie is pretty impressive.

While I certainly won't disparage Ben's impact, I don't think Pittsburgh makes the playoffs this year without him, Lions without Barry would have been attrocious.
His numbers were awesome, but the Lions went 7-9. Roethlisberger took a team coming off a 6-10 season that was 1-1 (for all intents and purposes - they squeaked by a lousy Oakland team 24-21 and were getting handled by Baltimore) and won 15 straight games. While Sanders' individual numbers and play was certainly better, a case could sure be made that Roethlisberger had a bigger TEAM impact. Like I said, it all depends on how you define it, but it's not really worth arguing. Sanders was one of the great football players of all-time and was electric pretty much from day 1.
I think the Steelers make the playoffs that year without Roth if and ONLY IF they change the game plan the way they did when Roth came in. Argue it all you want, the Steelers thought they were the 1999 Rams with Tommy Maddox back there. Once Maddox went down, they went back to smash mouth football with very little emphasis on the QB throwing the ball/winning games. The turn around of that team had very little to do with Roth and a lot to do with a great running game, great defense and a mistake free game plan for the QB. Not taking a whole lot away from Roth, the kid can play but that season was really over rated in my opinion.
Some of what you say has merit, but the bolded part is just flat-out wrong. Ask any Steeler fan who watched every game in 2003 and 2004 - Roethlisberger kept countless drives going by making plays on the scramble that Maddox could never have made, as well as leading the team on multiple game-winning drives. That team was night and day with Maddox vs. Roethlisberger - don't let the lack of gaudy stats fool you. As a Cowboys fan, you really think the Steelers win that game in Dallas in 2004 with Maddox under center? Not a chance. There were several other games that broke that way too.

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread