What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 QB's of All Time (2 Viewers)

Saw Cunningham play at UNLV also saw him high jump and run a leg on a 4x1 team.

Totally up on his NFL career,  a fantastic athlete but....not a top 10 All Time QB. There is nothing he did to warrant that level of respect.

When it comes to TD passes.....number39 all time. Yards he's.....46.

He never won a SB.
Since the beginning, everyone said QBs couldn't be the running athletic type. A guy would pop up now and then, but the theory stuck and oh so many college QBs never went on to have NFL careers. I understand people today can't relate but that was the oddest thing- some of the best college players didn't advance because they weren't the right type. Randall changed that and also LT did. Everyone had to get an athlete at one of the LB spots. Randall would run right by ya if they didn't. Gibbs created the h-back spot to deal with LT and others and then there's Walsh's system of quick passes and slants done so quickly, the LB won't get to the QB in time, even if he is LT.  In oh so many ways this took over the league and influenced so much moving forward. Randall's teammate, Reggie White, some say caused free agency to begin. 

Punting- We have never had another like him but can you imagine defensing 4th and 4 and Randall decides to punt? The guy averaged 44 yards too. He had a long of 91 and an 80 yarder too. He only punted maybe 20 times but how many times was he back there and the D was nervous that he'd punt, and that made the 4th down offense easier? I know Mariota played soccer as a kid and maybe he can now; big fat maybe, but ...I thought we'd see another. Maybe the QB just messed around kicking the ball growing up. I don't know but, I thought this would be a trend (of like two punts per year, not often) and teams would steal the Eagles idea. 

As I said before, he was completely different with the Vikes. Statuesque pocket passer with a beautiful bomb. 

Let's go back to your stats though, comp % and above. You're not getting it. Look at the rushing column. Some bad WR dropped the pass, so the guy ran the next play, but who runs on 3rd and 12? Next time, ya got your run defenders on the field rather than a nickel and he passes it. He was the biggest pain in the neck for defenses and their fans and enough times, you had to respect what he did.

Said my piece, it's fine to disagree. Everyone's got their own top 10

Since the beginning, everyone said QBs couldn't be the running athletic type. A guy would pop up now and then, but the theory stuck and oh so many college QBs never went on to have NFL careers. I understand people today can't relate but that was the oddest thing- some of the best college players didn't advance because they weren't the right type. Randall changed that and also LT did. Everyone had to get an athlete at one of the LB spots. Randall would run right by ya if they didn't. Gibbs created the h-back spot to deal with LT and others and then there's Walsh's system of quick passes and slants done so quickly, the LB won't get to the QB in time, even if he is LT.  In oh so many ways this took over the league and influenced so much moving forward. Randall's teammate, Reggie White, some say caused free agency to begin. 

Punting- We have never had another like him but can you imagine defensing 4th and 4 and Randall decides to punt? The guy averaged 44 yards too. He had a long of 91 and an 80 yarder too. He only punted maybe 20 times but how many times was he back there and the D was nervous that he'd punt, and that made the 4th down offense easier? I know Mariota played soccer as a kid and maybe he can now; big fat maybe, but ...I thought we'd see another. Maybe the QB just messed around kicking the ball growing up. I don't know but, I thought this would be a trend (of like two punts per year, not often) and teams would steal the Eagles idea. 

As I said before, he was completely different with the Vikes. Statuesque pocket passer with a beautiful bomb. 

Let's go back to your stats though, comp % and above. You're not getting it. Look at the rushing column. Some bad WR dropped the pass, so the guy ran the next play, but who runs on 3rd and 12? Next time, ya got your run defenders on the field rather than a nickel and he passes it. He was the biggest pain in the neck for defenses and their fans and enough times, you had to respect what he did.

Said my piece, it's fine to disagree. Everyone's got their own top 10
Great read, loved it~~~~

So why isn;t Cunninghami n the HOF?

ZenoRazon said:
Great read, loved it~~~~

So why isn;t Cunninghami n the HOF?
He was more of a highlight film guy who had great games and great moments but those didn't translate into ultimate team success (i.e. playoff wins, super bowls).

He was a phenomenal athletic talent who developed into a really good passer, but there were others who played the QB position better than he did over the course of their careers.

But I would watch a Randall Cunningham Highlight film reel over a Troy Aikman Highlight film reel all day long.

He was more of a highlight film guy who had great games and great moments but those didn't translate into ultimate team success (i.e. playoff wins, super bowls).

He was a phenomenal athletic talent who developed into a really good passer, but there were others who played the QB position better than he did over the course of their careers.

But I would watch a Randall Cunningham Highlight film reel over a Troy Aikman Highlight film reel all day long.
Co-sign

I'm glad to see Staubach get some recognition in this thread. He was significantly better than overrated Aikman.

So heading into 2019 I stand strong with this.

1.Tom Brady   Mich/Pats

2.Joe Montana  ND/Niners

3.Peyton Manning   Tenn/Colts

4.Drew Brees   Purdue/Saits

5.Aaron Rodgers  Cal/Packers

6.Dan Marino   Pitt/Dolphins

7.Brett Favre   SoMiss/Packers

8.Otto Graham  NW/Browns

9.Johnny Unitas  LV/Colts

10.Fran Tarkenton  Ga/Vikes

11.John Elway  Stan/Broncos

12.Big Ben   Miami Ohio/Steelers

13.Warren Moon   Wash/Oilers

14.Steve Young  BYU/Niners

15,Philip Rivers  NC/Chargers

16.Dan Fouts   Oreg/Chargers

17.Jim Kelly  Miami/Bills

18.Y.A.Tittle   LSU/Niners

19.Roger Staubach  Navy/Cowboys

20.Terry Bradshaw  LaTech/Steelers

Last edited by a moderator:

This is interesting. 

Favre's best season 4413/38/13

Rodgers best season 4643/45/6

Favre 3 time mvp

Rodgers 2 time mvp

Favre 13-11 in the playoffs with 1 superbowl win and another nfc championship

Rodgers 9-7 in the playoffs with 1 superbowl win but no other nfc championships

Favre is 3rd all time in passing yards, and leads Rodgers by about 29000. He's also fourth in career touchdowns with 508. Rodgers is at 338. 

And then there was the iron man streak.

Rodgers is 35 and has had troubles the last two seasons. I don't think Rodgers has passed favre yet.  I can see it happening if he has a couple more years of high end production, but if he's starting to decline then it was close but no cigar.

1.Tom Brady   Mich/Pats

2.Joe Montana  ND/Niners

8.Otto Graham  NW/Browns

Philip Rivers @ 15?

This is interesting. 

Favre 3 time mvp

Rodgers 2 time mvp

Favre is 3rd all time in passing yards, and leads Rodgers by about 29000. He's also fourth in career touchdowns with 508. Rodgers is at 338. 

Rodgers is 35 and has had troubles the last two seasons. I don't think Rodgers has passed favre yet.  I can see it happening if he has a couple more years of high end production, but if he's starting to decline then it was close but no cigar.
Don't forget that Rodgers has 80 interceptions (a staggeringly low total considering he has been starting for over 10 years now).  He throws an INT 1.5 times for every 100 throws. 

Favre, meanwhile, threw 336 interceptions.  He threw an interception 3.3 times for every 100 throws. 

That means every time Favre dropped back to throw a pass, he was more than twice as likely to throw an INT as Rodgers is. 

But there is always the chance that Rodgers could catch him in INT's if he plays, say, 7 more years and averages 36 interceptions a season.  So yeah, there is a chance

1.Tom Brady   Mich/Pats

2.Joe Montana  ND/Niners

8.Otto Graham  NW/Browns

So in the course of 3 weeks of debate, you made the following changes:

Swapped Brees and Peyton, which I'd agree with, there is zero argument for Brees higher.

Swapped Rodgers and Graham, which I'd strongly disagree with, as I also do with him above Marino and Favre.

Moved Unitas down 2 spots, why?

Didn't include Eli, which is a correct call.

Added Y.A. Tittle, another good call.

It is impossible for me to discuss quarterbacks I never saw (like Unitas, who is the top 10 for most), so going with quarterbacks I have seen since I started watching football (listed in order of when they came in to the league)...

Montana
Elway
Marino
Young
Favre
P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

I'd have to think about who the 10th is. 
lol @ Brady that low.  Just lol

This is interesting. 

Favre 3 time mvp

Rodgers 2 time mvp

No QB in history has a higher career passing rating than Rodgers. And he is the one I did cheat with by putting a lot in where I expect him to go.

I think Russell Wilson is better than half of those there but no longevity.numbers.......so,

Favre ahead of Rodgers, that's a good one lol
Favre is a tough one.  He was on a trajectory to be in the GOAT discussion, with three MVP's (2 1/2 really, as he and Barry Sanders shared it in 1997) and a Super Bowl title, but then he lost in the Super Bowl to the Broncos, and never got back there, while having some really mediocre seasons after that.  He also had some great seasons after that, but the consistent greatness on a year to year basis just didn't really happen in the back half of his career.  That said, he still was All-Pro six times (1st team and 2nd team both three times), so he has almost become underrated since many now don't even put him in the 2nd tier of all-time great quarterbacks.  The comparison to Rodgers will never go away, and while Rodgers destroys him when it comes to numbers (except the cumulative ones Favre had from having completed his career, while Rodgers still has 5+ years to go), I would give Favre the slight edge in intangibles since he usually seemed like a likable guy that teammates loved (except maybe late when he was a drama queen every summer), while Rodgers, by most accounts, appears to be a condescending **** who is not much of a leader and not overly loved by many of his teammates. 

So in the course of 3 weeks of debate, you made the following changes:

Swapped Brees and Peyton, which I'd agree with, there is zero argument for Brees higher.

Swapped Rodgers and Graham, which I'd strongly disagree with, as I also do with him above Marino and Favre.

Moved Unitas down 2 spots, why?

Didn't include Eli, which is a correct call.

Added Y.A. Tittle, another good call.
I have debated this with others not just here. I got a little deeper into it and rethunk a few things.

It is hard outside the top 4, but.....top10....not too hard.  Putting a particular number with name, hard.

I see exactly where you're coming from and if I did this six months from now..........???  BUT...those in my top 10 would still be there.

Unitas is always a hard read for me. The fact he had Berry/Moore/Mackey hurts his cause in my eyes.  All of them in the HOF.

Manning is the best QB I personally watched play. A lot of the rest are all lumped together. 

Favre had some great years but he threw a lot of INTs. A LOT. 

Unitas is always a hard read for me. The fact he had Berry/Moore/Mackey hurts his cause in my eyes.  All of them in the HOF.
Unitas is a huge reason they are in the HOF.

IMO you have him far too low, as I said to you originally in this thread, leading to you mistakenly trying to educate me about how great he was. Bizarre that you would do that and then move him down your list.

Unitas is a huge reason they are in the HOF.

IMO you have him far too low, as I said to you originally in this thread, leading to you mistakenly trying to educate me about how great he was. Bizarre that you would do that and then move him down your list.
On any other team Ray Berry is getting more passes thrown his way because TE/RB weren't in the passing game. He's in the HOF anywhere.

On any other team I do doubt Mackey/Moore get enought action to warrant HOF consideration.

I admit it, when it comes to JohnnyU I'm wishy washy (other than in a top 10) never sure just where does he belong.

Being this is Black History Month.

1.Warren Moon

2.Russell Wilson

3.Donovan McNabb

4.Randall Cuningham

5.Steve McNair

7.Michael Vick

8.Patrick Mahomes

7.Doug Williams

9.Kordell Stewart

10.????

ZenoRazon said:
Being this is Black History Month.

1.Warren Moon

2.Russell Wilson

3.Donovan McNabb

4.Randall Cuningham

5.Steve McNair

7.Michael Vick

8.Patrick Mahomes

7.Doug Williams

9.Kordell Stewart

10.????
I'll assume you just forgot Cam Newton. Daunte Culpepper too. Newton is a top-5 lock, and Culpepper is certainly ahead of guys like Williams/Stewart.

I think its a matter of when, not if, Mahomes eventually tops this list.

I'll assume you just forgot Cam Newton. Daunte Culpepper too. Newton is a top-5 lock, and Culpepper is certainly ahead of guys like Williams/Stewart.

I think its a matter of when, not if, Mahomes eventually tops this list.
Let's try it again.

1.Warren Moon

2.Russell Wilson

3.Donovan McNabb

4.Cam Newton

5.Randall Cunningham

6.Steve McNair

7.Daunte Culpepper

8.Michael Vick

9.Patrick Mahomes

10.Doug Williams

I see Wilson being the best here, Mahomes pushing Moon some day for second.

Manning is the best QB I personally watched play. A lot of the rest are all lumped together. 

I've always been of the opinion that Favre threw a lot of int's later in his career when attempting to rescue his team from defeat.  Essentially, he was doing his job!  I don't remember many games where they were ahead & he cost them the victory by making stupid plays.  He took chances when it was warranted. 

I've always been of the opinion that Favre threw a lot of int's later in his career when attempting to rescue his team from defeat.  Essentially, he was doing his job!  I don't remember many games where they were ahead & he cost them the victory by making stupid plays.  He took chances when it was warranted. 
That INT he threw in overtime against the Eagles in that playoff game following the 2003 season is still the worst interception I've ever seen a QB throw in a playoff game when you take into account the score and situation.  Watching it again now, I still have no idea what he was thinking:

https://youtu.be/KNKYvxKnL1s?t=7673

daveR said:
Eh he was pretty consistent throughout his career at throwing a lot of picks, lol. He only had one season under 13 and six over 20 (TD/Int 508:336). Manning had two seasons over 20, one being his rookie year,   and seven under 13 (539/231). I’ll agree he def took chances. Peyton threw more picks than I thought he did. 

Brady on the other hand - not a single season over 14 and seven with single digits 😯

Just an aside I never really cared for Favre until he had that amazing year with the Vikings. Helped me win a fantasy championship. Funny how fantasy can change your opinion of a player, haha.  

Ghost Rider said:
That INT he threw in overtime against the Eagles in that playoff game following the 2003 season is still the worst interception I've ever seen a QB throw in a playoff game when you take into account the score and situation.  Watching it again now, I still have no idea what he was thinking:

https://youtu.be/KNKYvxKnL1s?t=7673
Wrong route, I assume.  He read blitz & the wr didn't (is my guess).

eta:  WHO had it wrong remains a mystery.  Maybe the WR was correct & Favre was wrong.

Eh he was pretty consistent throughout his career at throwing a lot of picks, lol. He only had one season under 13 and six over 20 (TD/Int 508:336). Manning had two seasons over 20, one being his rookie year,   and seven under 13 (539/231). I’ll agree he def took chances. Peyton threw more picks than I thought he did. 

Brady on the other hand - not a single season over 14 and seven with single digits 😯

Just an aside I never really cared for Favre until he had that amazing year with the Vikings. Helped me win a fantasy championship. Funny how fantasy can change your opinion of a player, haha.  
Led the league in TDs 4 times, ints once.  That being said, he DID have several with 20+ ints.

Nope.  MIssed a couple.  Ints 3 times!

Elevencents said:

Favre  508 TDS, 336 Picks 3.3 Int %

Manning 539 TDS, 251 Picks  2.7 Int %

Brady 517 Tds, 171 Picks 1.8 Int %

Rodgers 338 TDs, 80 Picks 1.5 Int %

Favre did throw a lot of picks;  Manning had his fair share too.  Rodgers has an incredible rate but might be a "too careful" at times.   I don't recall Manning or Brady falling into Favre's "gun-slinger mode".   Sometimes you have to throw the ball in tight spaces or force the issue (playing from behind, etc.).

Let's try it again.

1.Warren Moon

2.Russell Wilson

3.Donovan McNabb

4.Cam Newton

5.Randall Cunningham

6.Steve McNair

7.Daunte Culpepper

8.Michael Vick

9.Patrick Mahomes

10.Doug Williams

I see Wilson being the best here, Mahomes pushing Moon some day for second.
I would put Cunningham ahead of McNabb, due to Randall's running ability, and that he developed into a better thrower than McNabb ever was. But that's more personal preference than anything else.

Top 25 QB's in Career AV

Peyton Manning - 271
Tom Brady - 269
Drew Brees - 256
Brett Favre - 255
Fran Tarkenton - 236
Dan Marino - 216
John Elway - 203
Philip Rivers - 191
Ben Roethlisberger - 185
Steve Young - 171
Aaron Rodgers - 170
Warren Moon - 166
Matt Ryan - 166
Joe Montana - 164
Dan Fouts - 162
Eli Manning - 162
Ken Anderson - 161
Johnny Unitas - 145
Len Dawson - 144
John Hadl - 143
Carson Palmer - 142
Vinny Testaverde - 142
Bob Griese - 139
Sonny Jurgensen - 139
Dave Kreig - 138
Donovan McNabb - 138

Obviously the longer someone played, the more he could compile value. I am not sure if playoff performance gets rolled into those values . . . based on Peyton still ranking higher than Brady, I would tend to guess it does not.

Top 25 QB's in Career AV

Peyton Manning - 271
Tom Brady - 269
Drew Brees - 256
Brett Favre - 255
Fran Tarkenton - 236
Dan Marino - 216
John Elway - 203
Philip Rivers - 191
Ben Roethlisberger - 185
Steve Young - 171
Aaron Rodgers - 170
Warren Moon - 166
Matt Ryan - 166
Joe Montana - 164
Dan Fouts - 162
Eli Manning - 162
Ken Anderson - 161
Johnny Unitas - 145
Len Dawson - 144
John Hadl - 143
Carson Palmer - 142
Vinny Testaverde - 142
Bob Griese - 139
Sonny Jurgensen - 139
Dave Kreig - 138
Donovan McNabb - 138

Obviously the longer someone played, the more he could compile value. I am not sure if playoff performance gets rolled into those values . . . based on Peyton still ranking higher than Brady, I would tend to guess it does not.
AV is pretty flawed,  like you said, it greatly rewards compilers, and punishes short term greatness. It also seems to not start until the 1960's. 

That said, its an interesting thing to look at. I think it is better/more accurate with win shares in Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey. 

I would put Cunningham ahead of McNabb, due to Randall's running ability, and that he developed into a better thrower than McNabb ever was. But that's more personal preference than anything else.
McNabb 234 TD's/Cunningham 207

McNabb over 37, 000 yards/Cunningham less than 30,000.

I can however see the debate, that....run or pass?....threat was very real with Cunningham.

I find it sorta odd that Bobby Layne isn't on your list. I personally have him above your 8-9-10 guys.
:P

IIRC he held a few of the career marks that Unitas surpassed (& then took to another stratosphere.) But I think Johnny U had more to do with the development of the two minute drill, and he was the gold standard for a long, long time. Whereas Layne's body of work was shorter and his reign far briefer.

5 rings, (.900) career winning percentage in the playoffs. Does he still hold the record for highest passer rating in the postseason? Like 105 or sumtin. Played in a different era so the stats look pedestrian but he was an extremely efficient QB relative to his peers - had the highest career completion percentage when he retired, and was second all-time in Passer Rating. Pretty good for a 17th round draft pick. Also, he was a QB/Safety/Punter at 'bama so you can nominate him for your best football player thread.

Of all the old-timers, probably the closest comp to your no-questions-asked GoAT. Was it the QB, the coach, or the system - same questions of Belichick/Brady were asked about Lombardi/Starr.

Otto Graham never called his own plays.

In his 16 year career he only had 7 seasons where he played all 14 games and also has 7 seasons where he threw more INT than TD.

I saw him play many times it was Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung  and play some stud D.  That is why when I ask you ....who were his receivers you don't know. There were 10 future HOFers on those teams, but at WR/TE...???? 

I know he's in the HOF but so is Bradshaw/Namath.

How in the Hell Terry Bradshaw isn't on the list - 4 SB rings two time 2X SB MVP - WTF!
I thought the list was pretty spot on... with this one exception.  Id have put Bradshaw in as the consummate field general and one of the last of that type of in game coach, call all the plays, just get wins, QBs, and taken out Favre.

Favre has become one of the most overrated greats imo. Still an all time great... but he won 1 SB. He gave away so many games with his careless play. He's more myth than man, imo... Id put Brees in front of him, too.

Users who are viewing this thread