What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trade offer for Garrett Wilson (1 Viewer)

football fan

Footballguy
I am struggling in an attempt to create a trade offer for Garrett Wilson (the other team got him with the eight pick in this year's rookie draft), I was thinking of offering Aaron Jones, plus other considerations for Wilson. To be honest, when I make trade offers there are times when I lose objectivity, so I am requesting some assistance. Both teams are contenders in a 12 team PPR that start 1 QB league with large rosters and IDPs, my team might be a little weaker, but still could make the playoffs. Last year, I finished runner up in pursuit for the championship in my league.

So, my question is how much more do I have to add to my offer to make a good offer to obtain Wilson? I have my first five draft choices in next years rookie draft, I also have a strong, but aging IDP team, and a good group of WRs (no STUDS) with depth. They are:

Cole Beasley
Tyler Boyd
Marquise Brown
Noah Brown
Gabriel Davis
DJ Moore
KJ Osborn
JuJu Smith-Schuster

I do have several vet IDPs that are older, but can still help a team, I wouldn't mind throwing them in if it helps to close this trade. IDPs like:

Harrison Smith
Jordan Hicks
Bobby Wagner
CJ Mosley

What would be a good offer for me to make in an attempt to obtain Garrett Wilson?

Thanks in advance for consideration to help me to make a good offer for Wilson.

About half a day after I started this thread, I made the offer of Aaron Jones, DJ Moore, and Harrison Smith for Garrett Wilson. My offer was accepted.

Writing this thread really helped me to get a proper perception of this situation,

My only remaining question is did I over pay?

My team is good, but definitely is starting to age, Aaron Jones turns 28 in December, and Harrison Smith is now 33 years old, and with my WR depth with the addition of Wilson, in my opinion, makes Moore expendable.

Please give me your opinion, did I offered too much because I do value the insight of the posters on this board.

I am assuming dynasty. and IMO, you did overpay. I would not have included Jones.

You are correct, this is a dynasty league.

Thank you for your response! You are also correct, I did over pay (I was intending to over pay some because I really like Wilson), and I probably over paid more than I intended, but after watching Wilson play at Ohio State, I am very high on him.

I know it is early in the season, but my team is having a terrible start to this year, and I decided that I wanted to do a quick rebuild, since I felt my team's competitive window is closing quickly. If my team keeps losing, at age 27, Aaron Jones isn't really going to help my team to win the title, so I started looking to the future.

Maybe I am too high on Wilson, but I still feel like I didn't make a bad deal. I live just outside of Green Bay, and I do not feel real comfortable about the packer offense this year (I believe it is way too one dimensional). I did make my desire to trade Aaron Jones known to my league mates, and I wasn't even getting rip off trade offers for him.

Maybe my problem is that I didn't project their future fantasy value very well. Maybe I was attempting to be too objective in offering a trade (lol).

Thanks again for your input, you are probably right, but after I reflected on your post, my gut still feels ok with this trade. Also with my league, there are times you just have to overpay to get the guy you want.

You definitely gave me some good insights to consider concerning this situation, which will probably benefit me in the future.

I appreciate you making me think through this trade situation, but one large fact is that DJ Moore has only scored one half the points compared to rookie Garrett Wilson in my league this year. A 33 year old safety isn't going to make up the difference in trade value between these two WRs.

You are right, I probably over paid by offering Aaron Jones, but I am not sure I could have made this deal without offering him. The packer offense just isn't what it used to be, and AJ Dillion is currently taking touches from Aaron Jones. I still have Khalil Herbert and James Conner as RBs left on my roster, and I only have to start one RB, so I may lose some value, but I did struggle with, and eventfully felt ok with dealing Aaron Jones. Jones only has a couple of years before the 30 year old RB wall causes him to decline in productivity.

Bottom line is sometimes you have to overpay to get the guy you want.

Thanks again for your input, it really made me think about how to evaluate trade situations.

I agree and I did struggle with giving up all three players, except I got exceptional safety depth and Harrison Smith is 33 years old so it was kind of a free throw in, and DJ Moore is just depth at WR for me (he never starts for me). I traded both Smith and Moore out of the two strongest positions on my roster, so I didn't really give up much more than Aaron Jones.

Initially, I didn't want to give up more than Jones for Wilson, but even a day after I made this deal, I am still very happy with it.

I guess I keep thinking about how good Garrett Wilson can be after he develops and gains NFL experience. Wilson was really good at Ohio State, maybe I get too excited about Wilson, but I think it is a good chance to gain a good WR in the near future.

Thanks for your insight,

This was a huge overpay. When I first started reading the OP I was already going to start with "don't add anything else with Jones and I may want something else with Wilson to give up Jones". The fact you then went on to add DJ Moore and Smith put this into the way, way, way too much zone. I would have gone with Jones and the DB (they are a dime a dozen so this is virtually no loss at all).

While Moore has been disappointing to date he still carries good value in dynasty. There was no need to include him in this deal. It's nice you got your guy but you gave up way too much.

This was a huge overpay. When I first started reading the OP I was already going to start with "don't add anything else with Jones and I may want something else with Wilson to give up Jones". The fact you then went on to add DJ Moore and Smith put this into the way, way, way too much zone. I would have gone with Jones and the DB (they are a dime a dozen so this is virtually no loss at all).

While Moore has been disappointing to date he still carries good value in dynasty. There was no need to include him in this deal. It's nice you got your guy but you gave up way too much.

I never denied the fact that this is an overpay, but I am happy with this deal. I thought long and hard about it, and struggled with this deal before I offered it, but I love Wilson's upside, so I went with it. I agree Moore still has dynasty value, but I am tired of Carolina and Mayfield. I believe Carolina is a mess right now, and I went with my gut feeling about Wilson. So I overpaid, but I traded from areas of strength on my roster, and now I am happy with my team again.

DJ Moore was never going to start for my team, and he would probably have been my 5th or 6th best WR after this trade was completed.

Could I have made a better value deal for Wilson, yes probably, but I got the player that I wanted so value trading temporally went out the window.

I usually go for value while trading, and many times my offers die during negotiations, can't anyone understand I really wanted Wilson?

By trading for Wilson, I am looking a little more towards the future of my team, than the present state of my team.

I just believe that Aaron Jones is starting to slowly decline, and I only have to start 1 RB, I have Khalil Herbert (who I started because my gut told me to, and he did great yesterday), James Conner, and AJ Dillon as RBs. My other RBs can mitigate most of the loss of Jones, who is 28 in December, and AJ Dillon is cutting more and more into Jones's touches. I also have have upgraded my WR core with Wilson.

My aging team needed a slight rebuilding process to stay completive, and I did it during this season, look at the process I went through and not the content of one trade. I also traded Davante Adams during our league's draft, for Marquise Brown and 1st and 2nd round rookie picks. So far that trade is working out fine for me.

Gally, I respect you, but sometimes you get a little too carried away with value, where I usually look for value, but I want to enjoy a hobby and not worry about value on every single trade.

My largest point here is fantasy football is a hobby to be enjoyed, if I intentionally overpaid for a player I like, so be it. I believe hobbies should be enjoyed and not be worried if you occasionally intentionally overpay while trading for a player.

I wish you well Gally, sometimes people can do things differently, and still be successful.

Gally, I respect you, but sometimes you get a little too carried away with value, where I usually look for value, but I want to enjoy a hobby and not worry about value on every single trade.

My largest point here is fantasy football is a hobby to be enjoyed, if I intentionally overpaid for a player I like, so be it. I believe hobbies should be enjoyed and not be worried if you occasionally intentionally overpay while trading for a player.

I wish you well Gally, sometimes people can do things differently, and still be successful.
I have never been accused of getting too carried away with value before. That is a new one. You came on here asking for advice. As everyone has said you overpaid. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have made the trade. It means you likely could have gotten Wilson for less. I have overpaid for players before. There is a time and place to do that. Nobody cares that you overpaid other than the fact you asked for people to comment on your throughts/offers and so they did. That's all this is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have never been accused of getting too carried away with value before. That is a new one. You came on here asking for advice. As everyone has said you overpaid. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have made the trade. It means you likely could have gotten Wilson for less. I have overpaid for players before. There is a time and place to do that. Nobody cares that you overpaid other than the fact you asked for people to comment on your throughts/offers and so they did. That's all this is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gally, I am sorry, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I guess I was frustrated because I knew I over paid, while I was hoping for some good advise and insight, but all I got was post trade comments of the obvious.

All I did was deal two soon to be aging players, and a WR who has a good reputation, but is currently under performing.

I still am very excited about my trade, I have many great and impressive memories of Garret Wilson highlights at Ohio State (I am a Wisconsin Badger fan), and while playing with a journey man QB, he is starting to flash his talent in the NFL I guess everyone noted the over pay, but no one remotely mentioned that I did get a rookie player who has potential to be good.

It was an overpay but the kind of overpay I like. You got your guy, and you moved an aging asset that is on the edge of decline for an asset that's very likely to appreciate.

Aaron Jones' value is going to start falling pretty rapidly from here, at the age he's at. I suspect DJM is on that cusp as well as he becomes no longer super young and people start to accept that his upside is limited.

So it's one of those deals where it sounds like a shocking overpay right now, but at this time next year there is a pretty good chance that you won't be able to get Wilson for Jones+Moore anymore.

It was an overpay but the kind of overpay I like. You got your guy, and you moved an aging asset that is on the edge of decline for an asset that's very likely to appreciate.

Aaron Jones' value is going to start falling pretty rapidly from here, at the age he's at. I suspect DJM is on that cusp as well as he becomes no longer super young and people start to accept that his upside is limited.

So it's one of those deals where it sounds like a shocking overpay right now, but at this time next year there is a pretty good chance that you won't be able to get Wilson for Jones+Moore anymore.

Thank you, finally someone get it!

Oh, I understood it completely. You wanted your guy and you got him. Nothing wrong with that. I was just giving some perspective from my point of view regarding the trade (if i had seen the thread earlier I would have responded with my thoughts but didn't see it until you had already pulled the trigger).

My best advice is that you went guns a-blazing with an overpay offer right out the shoot. Maybe you have more insight about this owner and that's the only way he deals but you could have always gotten to the overpay so start with the full price offer first. Then go overpay if needed.

Glad you got your guy.

Oh, I understood it completely. You wanted your guy and you got him. Nothing wrong with that. I was just giving some perspective from my point of view regarding the trade (if i had seen the thread earlier I would have responded with my thoughts but didn't see it until you had already pulled the trigger).

My best advice is that you went guns a-blazing with an overpay offer right out the shoot. Maybe you have more insight about this owner and that's the only way he deals but you could have always gotten to the overpay so start with the full price offer first. Then go overpay if needed.

Glad you got your guy.
I also made the trade offer with a rebuild and future mindset more important than the current year mind set. I see Aaron Jones and DJ Moore as soon to be assets declining in value with Garrett Wilson an asset with great potential upside and future appreciation.

You are correct, I came out with a great offer blazing right out the shoot. I wanted to have the appearance of a great offer or overpayment, so I could get the deal done. Sometimes going for value trade approach just doesn't work in some leagues or with some owners.

I understood what you meant, but I was frustrated in that no one but freeBaGel seem really understood what I did, I just felt like no one was listening to me (not just you).

I did appreciate your advice, it wasn't you, but the entire situation that got me frustrated.

I also understand every league is different, and my league is weird, you almost have to be in it to understand the inner workings of this league and how the owners relate to each other.

I sincerely hope all is fine between us, I really do respect you and the advice that you give..

Thank You!

Users who are viewing this thread