What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troymaine Pope (1 Viewer)

JFS171

Footballguy
Can’t find a thread for him, though he’s been mentioned a few times elsewhere. Had himself a very nice game on Sunday with 17 total opportunities, carrying 10 times for 67 yards and adding five receptions for another 28 yards. 

He seemed to be ignored on waiver wires, at least in my leagues.  So who is this guy? In 2016, he came out of Jacksonville State at a shade under 5’8” and 205 lbs. His pro day numbers (no combine invite) show a lack of top-end speed (4.55 40 per draftscout), but good strength with 25 reps, good explosion with a 10’ broad jump and 35” vertical, and incredible change of direction with a 6.87 3-come and a 4.21 short shuttle. 

Pope played with the Seahawks in 2016 preseason, later being cut in a roster crunch and landing with the Jets. In 2017, he was with the Colts in the preseason And making plays, but again a crowded depth chart limited his chances, and he bounced around practice squads for a few years. In 2019, he was on the Chargers’ roster for 14 games but understandably didn’t get much opportunity behind Gordon and Ekeler. I’m assuming he was largely a special teams maven.

Now, Pope has an opportunity as Ekeler has been injured, Kelley has been disappointing, and Jackson isn’t a bell cow. Per The Athletic’s Daniel Popper, Chargers beat writer for the site:

Troymaine Pope was a freakin’ revelation Sunday. Great vision. Purposeful running. He gave this backfield a real boost When they needed it.

In a chat on The Athletic’s site, Popper later added, “Lynn is going to ride the hot hand. If Pope keeps producing, he will get touches.”

Maybe this is nothing. Or maybe this is Raheem Mostert all over again and Pope becomes the Melvin Gordon complement to Ekeler down the road (whenever Ekeler returns - IF Ekeler returns).  Mostert was also an old rookie, also undrafted, also bounced around several teams, and also worked primarily on special teams before finally getting a chance to play. Mostert has more speed, but Pope is thicker and a little more shifty than Mostert. 

It feels like fantasy managers in redraft and dynasty could do a lot worst with the last bench spot on their rosters. 

Ya I was surprised to see him on the wire in my 14 team league . Dropped Ervin to pick him up. Both seem like a oh well try.

Chargers' Troymaine Pope: In concussion protocol

12 mins ago |

Coach Anthony Lynn revealed Wednesday that Pope is in the concussion protocol, Gilbert Manzano of the Orange County Register reports.

Pope produced 95 scrimmage yards on 15 touches in last week's loss to Denver, but he apparently suffered a concussion in that contest. If the running back is unable to clear concussion protocol in time for Sunday's game against the Raiders, Justin Jackson and Joshua Kelley will go back to splitting reps in the Chargers' backfield.
just an fyi for anyone considering picking up Pope

I'm not sure a three-headed monster is where one wants to go with their roster, but if you want to, he looked pretty good.

I'm not sure a three-headed monster is where one wants to go with their roster, but if you want to, he looked pretty good.
I think Kelley is being phased out. He didn't play much in the second half, from what I remember. I don't know how you keep Kelley on the field over Pope, based on what we saw on Sunday. I think it's clear that the game is too fast for Kelley right now.

I think Kelley is being phased out. He didn't play much in the second half, from what I remember. I don't know how you keep Kelley on the field over Pope, based on what we saw on Sunday. I think it's clear that the game is too fast for Kelley right now.
I agree, I guess. We won't know until we see them again because Pope got hurt. You're right, though. I think he was in over Kelley in this one. 

Chargers RB Troymaine Pope (concussion) is doubtful for Week 9 against the Raiders. 

Chargers head coach said Thursday that Pope had cleared the NFL's concussion protocol. It looks like he's unlikely to be active a week after taking a vicious shot to the head. Pope came out of nowhere to play 29 percent of the team's snaps, seeing 10 rushes and seven targets. If Pope is out, Joshua Kelley and Justin Jackson become more stable fantasy options in a game with one of the week's highest over/unders. Jackson has been the lead back since Austin Ekeler went down with a hamstring injury. 

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

, Joshua Kelley

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Nov 6, 2020, 3:39 PM ET

If he cleared the protocol, it makes no sense why he wouldn’t play after that performance last week. 

Feels like they’re playing coy or he hasn’t been fully cleared. 

Chargers RB Troymaine Pope (concussion) practiced in full ahead of Week 10.

Pope received a massive workload in Week 8, taking 10 carries for 67 yards and recording seven targets for five catches and 28 yards, before exiting with the head injury. Notably, he seemed to get the "hot hand" treatment ahead of Joshua Kelley that day. Likely without Justin Jackson in Week 10 against the Dolphins, Pope, Kelley and Kalen Ballage will split backfield touches until one claims the role in-game.

Nov 11, 2020, 6:32 PM ET

Troymaine Pope (concussion) is active for Week 10 against Miami.

This was expected after Pope practiced fully all week. Kalen Ballage is also active, making the Chargers a likely three-back committee with Joshua Kelley. The Chargers inactives are QB Easton Stick, OT Storm Norton, DL Jessie Lemonier, and DE Joey Bosa.

Nov 15, 2020, 2:48 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread