What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trying a slightly new strategy for my auction league (1 Viewer)

Scoresman

Footballguy
TLDR: I put together a specific "target team" to draft. I identified the most common scenarios where this plan could go wrong and identified several backup teams that I like and can pivot to. Wondering if anyone else does something similar.

In recent seasons, I've gone into my auction with a pretty loose plan, usually targeting one or two players at value and going from there hitting on value when it shows itself.

The best thing you can do during an auction is to be able to pivot when something doesn't go as expected. I've found that this can be difficult with such a loose plan like the above.

So this year, I'm actually trying to identify every instance where the draft could go awry from my plan. I do extensive research on my league's history to come up with estimated player prices and I've become fairly good at this. With these prices in hand, I identified my ideal team (starters only) that I would be thrilled to land. It's the following.

$110 cap

Jayden Daniels $6
Breece Hall (or CMC/Bijan) $31
Kenneth Walker $11
Justin Jefferson $24
Amon-Ra St. Brown $20
Malik Nabers $9
Best $1 TE

From here, I start identifying specific scenarios where landing this team could go wrong. Usually things like "What if X player goes for more than my budget". But also things like "What if top QBs are going below value" etc. I've identified about 10-15 of these scenarios with alternate teams I could see myself drafting.

From doing this I've learned a few things like even if Breece Hall goes over budget and I get him anyway, I like the teams I end up getting around him more than if I had passed on him. I also learned that if the top QBs go below budget by 10-15% (unlikely) I end up really liking the teams I build around that.

After doing this, I feel like I have a good plan with a ton of specific things to do wherever the original plan goes wrong. I feel the most prepared I ever have going into an auction.

YES!

I'll also add that that target team that I'll have put together is about an 85-87% spend based on ADP data.

The great thing about auction is that when one part of the auction pushes, there'll have to be another part where it pulls to compensate. So understanding historical spend patterns related to what gets spent at say WR8 versus RB12 is pretty critical. And when you're in the moment, you can start to get a sense for if people are holding/blowing their $$ so you can adjust in real time and accordingly. If you know who your top targets are in addition to what you're willing to spend for dart throws...then you can calibrate while the auction is going on as to how shallow/deep you can dig here.

One thing I'll caveat about me and this type of strategy and I know I definitely swim upstream on this. But if I leave $$ on the table, I'm fine with it. Your goal isn't to spend 100% of your auction $$...it's to acquire the best team YOU think is the best team...not what ADP or expert rankings think. That's not to say just get the team you put on paper prior to the auction...if you find that you've overestimated on what you'll need to spend on your first 4-5 players, then by all means, adjust. But it's never a goal of mine to wind up with $0.

Here are the results.

My Target team (starters):

Jayden Daniels $6
Kenneth Walker $11
Justin Jefferson $24
Amon-Ra St. Brown $20
Malik Nabers $9
Best $1 TE

The team I drafted:

QB Josh Allen $15
RB Derrick Henry $23
RB Kenneth Walker $12
WR Tyreek Hill $29
WR Amari Cooper $ 5
Flex Malik Nabers $4
TE Dalton Schultz $3

The plan overall worked well, despite many pivots I needed to make. The first was Josh Allen going for $15. Last year, the top QBs went for $22 so I could not let this deal pass by me. This was one of the pivot scenarios I planned for so there was no need to panic about the rest of my plan.

Next, Tyreek and Derrick both went for a bit lower than I thought so I picked them up. Henry was my pivot off of Breece in the event I got an elite QB. I'm really happy so far.

I had Amon Ra targeted but he went for $5 more than I estimated so I backed off because I wanted Walker more at his estimated price.

Next was Kenneth Walker right around budget so all good.

Cooper and Nabers were absolute steals IMO.

The only con was that because I was targeting Nabers hard and felt like I needed to save for him, I ended with a bit of extra money after he went for a steal. This is no big deal because I got my guys for the most part and now my bench is much stronger than I thought it would be. I have McLauren, Zack Moss, and Singletary on my bench.

All in all, this was the best I've felt throughout one of these auctions. I never once thought I was way off my plan. I recommend this strategy wholeheartedly to anyone doing an auction.

I’ve had a few really good years in a row and liked my approach, how I distributed my budget and the resulting auction. So last year I moved my on-paper “sketch” (of the initial budget I wanted to allocate to every roster slot) to a google sheet. It was so great to have a column of my initial budget, a column for what I actually spend on that slot, and a total at the bottom of that column. As I make picks I reshuffle some $ in or out of different slots to get me back to $200.

I love having that constant Birds Eye view of my total roster budget so I know quickly what I’ve giving up if I push for a certain player, or what I gain by saving on a player, etc.

Here are the results.

My Target team (starters):

Jayden Daniels $6
Kenneth Walker $11
Justin Jefferson $24
Amon-Ra St. Brown $20
Malik Nabers $9
Best $1 TE

The team I drafted:

QB Josh Allen $15
RB Derrick Henry $23
RB Kenneth Walker $12
WR Tyreek Hill $29
WR Amari Cooper $ 5
Flex Malik Nabers $4
TE Dalton Schultz $3

The plan overall worked well, despite many pivots I needed to make. The first was Josh Allen going for $15. Last year, the top QBs went for $22 so I could not let this deal pass by me. This was one of the pivot scenarios I planned for so there was no need to panic about the rest of my plan.

Next, Tyreek and Derrick both went for a bit lower than I thought so I picked them up. Henry was my pivot off of Breece in the event I got an elite QB. I'm really happy so far.

I had Amon Ra targeted but he went for $5 more than I estimated so I backed off because I wanted Walker more at his estimated price.

Next was Kenneth Walker right around budget so all good.

Cooper and Nabers were absolute steals IMO.

The only con was that because I was targeting Nabers hard and felt like I needed to save for him, I ended with a bit of extra money after he went for a steal. This is no big deal because I got my guys for the most part and now my bench is much stronger than I thought it would be. I have McLauren, Zack Moss, and Singletary on my bench.

All in all, this was the best I've felt throughout one of these auctions. I never once thought I was way off my plan. I recommend this strategy wholeheartedly to anyone doing an auction.
Awesome plan and draft congratulations

Here’s what my spreadsheet looks like before the draft. I forgot to mention it’s superflex and IDP…

budget = 200TARGETACTUAL
QB30
RB40
RB14
WR35
WR11
TE8
Flex RB?10
SuperFlex QB13
bench QB4
bench RB12
bench RB4
bench WR1
bench WR7
bench ?1
K1
DL2
DL1
LB2
LB1
CB2
CB1

As we’ve been auctioning in my league for over 10yrs I have all that data and use it to help shape my player values. I then run dozens of different draft scenarios to see what yields me the best team. I usually go into my draft with 4-6 different options (a WR heavy one, elite RB one, etc etc) so that I can pivot on draft day depending on who I get first or how the room is drafting.

I rarely target a specific player but players in a range that way I can do my best to avoid getting caught up emotionally when in the middle of a bid.

As we’ve been auctioning in my league for over 10yrs I have all that data and use it to help shape my player values. I then run dozens of different draft scenarios to see what yields me the best team. I usually go into my draft with 4-6 different options (a WR heavy one, elite RB one, etc etc) so that I can pivot on draft day depending on who I get first or how the room is drafting.

I rarely target a specific player but players in a range that way I can do my best to avoid getting caught up emotionally when in the middle of a bid.
Same here re: range of players. Classic “tiers” approach. My budget above doesn’t target any player in particular, but a range of players at each tier in each position to fill out my roster.

I actually pick out exact players based on likely values that I want on my team and I usually end up with 90% of the players I target. I use to do this in non-auction drafts as well. I'd say I make the playoffs 90% of the time and win a few championships as well.

Here’s what my spreadsheet looks like before the draft. I forgot to mention it’s superflex and IDP…

budget = 200TARGETACTUAL
QB30
RB40
RB14
WR35
WR11
TE8
Flex RB?10
SuperFlex QB13
bench QB4
bench RB12
bench RB4
bench WR1
bench WR7
bench ?1
K1
DL2
DL1
LB2
LB1
CB2
CB1
I do the same thing. Additionally, I keep a more broad listing of the other teams via a roster grid (on paper- easiest for me to quickly use) to track other teams for nomination purposes.

When you fill your own team in and adjust the amount you actually paid (v. Projected cost), it allows for real time tweaks. It just makes how you bid much more manageable- always keeping you nimble.

Users who are viewing this thread