What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trying to sell a graphics card (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
Many months ago my son signed up the EVGA website for a graphics card (we were building a gaming PC for him). The wait went on forever and in the meantime we got one from a local Micro Center. Of course shortly after that he was notified that his place in line came through and we were able to get a GTX 3060 for MSRP. 

His idea, which I appreciate, was to buy the card and resell it and he can pocket the difference. So now we have the card in our possession, but am somewhat stuck on how best to sell this. I want to do it in a way where I don’t have to worry about payments getting canceled or reversed or any garbage like that. While I’ve sold some stuff locally for cash on FB marketplace, I’ve never sold anything in eBay before. 

Any recommendations on how to do this with minimal fuss or chance for it to blow up in my face somehow?

I just looked at the box. It is a sealed EVGA GeForce RTX 3060. Just arrived at my house this week. My intention wasn’t to try and sell it on the forum but rather for the original advice. That said, if anyone is serious, send me a PM. Still happy to take advice for eBay/FB Marketplace. 

I've sold many things on eBay over the years, without any trouble at all. However, i would not trust eBay for a high profile item like this. eBay has great buyer protection and I'd guess that someone wanting to pay the price you want to charge, also has a strong incentive to scam.

First, I would try Facebook marketplace with local pickup only. And use Venmo for payment. If that doesn't find someone who can't find what their son wants for Christmas in the store, then consider other options like shipping it 

My son built a gaming PC, but had to go with integrated graphics because of the shortage, which is made worse by people grabbing them to resell. A good lesson to your son would be to not contribute to the problem and/or do a nice thing for someone. Surely he has a friend in the same boat as my son. Or ask around with your co-workers. I would bet you will find more people than you realize waiting to buy one at MSRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sold many things on eBay over the years, without any trouble at all. However, i would not trust eBay for a high profile item like this. eBay has great buyer protection and I'd guess that someone wanting to pay the price you want to charge, also has a strong incentive to scam.

First, I would try Facebook marketplace with local pickup only. And use Venmo for payment. If that doesn't find someone who can't find what their son wants for Christmas in the store, then consider other options like shipping it 

My son built a gaming PC, but had to go with integrated graphics because of the shortage, which is made worse by people grabbing them to resell. A good lesson to your son would be to not contribute to the problem and/or do a nice thing for someone. Surely he has a friend in the same boat as my son. Or ask around with your co-workers. I would bet you will find more people than you realize waiting to buy one at MSRP.
I teach my kid lots of other good life lessons. This one will be about capitalism. 

I teach my kid lots of other good life lessons. This one will be about capitalism. 

Fair enough. But capitalism might also come with some other unwanted lessons.

I want to do it in a way where I don’t have to worry about payments getting canceled or reversed or any garbage like that. While I’ve sold some stuff locally for cash on FB marketplace, I’ve never sold anything in eBay before. 

Any recommendations on how to do this with minimal fuss or chance for it to blow up in my face somehow?

Many months ago my son signed up the EVGA website for a graphics card (we were building a gaming PC for him). The wait went on forever and in the meantime we got one from a local Micro Center. Of course shortly after that he was notified that his place in line came through and we were able to get a GTX 3060 for MSRP. 

His idea, which I appreciate, was to buy the card and resell it and he can pocket the difference. So now we have the card in our possession, but am somewhat stuck on how best to sell this. I want to do it in a way where I don’t have to worry about payments getting canceled or reversed or any garbage like that. While I’ve sold some stuff locally for cash on FB marketplace, I’ve never sold anything in eBay before. 

Price it out using sold for filter on eBay, FB marketplace and offerup. I usually take an average and then add 20-30% because no matter what you list it as people will offer less. I then sell it list it on FB marketplace and OfferUp for cash in person only at the local PD. With this card you will have zero problems selling IMO.

What kind of card and how much?  Is it the 3060 you mentioned?
Just realized I didn't respond to your question. It's an EVGA RTX 3060, still sealed in the box. Not sure about exactly how much. I had told my kid to expect maybe $650-700, which is pretty solid for him, but now I'm seeing it on Ebay with recent sales in the $750-900 range. 

Just realized I didn't respond to your question. It's an EVGA RTX 3060, still sealed in the box. Not sure about exactly how much. I had told my kid to expect maybe $650-700, which is pretty solid for him, but now I'm seeing it on Ebay with recent sales in the $750-900 range. 
No worries GB....I kinda figured it out as the thread went on. 

Don't blame the OP at all for selling it for whatever he could get....but man does this situation completely suck.  You just can't get any sort of decent video card without spending 2-3 times market value. And there's no end in sight. 

average Joes can't get a single card but I'm sure there's 1,000 stupid bitcoin farms in China running a warehouse full of 3080's 24 hours a day. Just a real bummer.

I've got an NVIDIA 2060 SUPER that I bought over 2 years ago. And if I wanted to(per a quick look at EBAY) , it looks I could sell it for nearly a 75% markup over what I a paid for it then. That's insane.

Users who are viewing this thread