What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyvon Branch; I'm confused (1 Viewer)

Barooo

Footballguy
Going into the upcoming drafts; I figured Branch would easily be ranked in the top 5 at DB (S and CB combined). But to my surprise he is ranked 14th after entering information into VBD. Here is the scoring;

Pts per Solo Tackle = 1

Pts per Assisted Tackle = .5

Pts per Sack = 2

Pts per Pass Deflected = 1

Pts per Interception = 2

Pts per Forced Fumble = 1

Pts per Fumble Recovery = 1

Pts per Touchdowns = 6

The top 5 produced the following via VBD;

Eric Berry

Morgan Burnett

Antoine Bethea

Charles Woodson

Bernard Pollard

Am I missing something here?

Branch finished ranked 12th among safeties last year. Seeing him at 14th for all DBs may seem a little low but it's not unrealistic. He only has 3 interceptions in 3 full seasons as a starter. His tackle numbers make him a very reliable everyweek starter in most scoring systems though.

Bethea is likely higher because the Colts statkeepers gave out a ton of assisted tackles last year, inflating the value of Colts IDPs significantly.

Woodson is moving inside to safety which should improve his already strong levels of production.

Thanks Aaron; any other thoughts out there in terms of Branch? Reading through the DB tiers on the site he was considered to be in the top tier.

Thanks Aaron; any other thoughts out there in terms of Branch? Reading through the DB tiers on the site he was considered to be in the top tier.
he's been very consistent the past 3 years so you know what you're getting. Your scoring does look very tackle-heavy to me, so I'd be very comfortable with him as my DB1.

What's the deal with this guy? I'm showing he only has 12 solo tackles for my team this year which is mediocre performance in my league. Thinking about dropping him for someone like William Moore, or at least someone who is putting up better numbers so far. Any reason to hang on to him? I don't know why he is still getting ranked so high on most of the IDP weekly rankings.

What's the deal with this guy? I'm showing he only has 12 solo tackles for my team this year which is mediocre performance in my league. Thinking about dropping him for someone like William Moore, or at least someone who is putting up better numbers so far. Any reason to hang on to him? I don't know why he is still getting ranked so high on most of the IDP weekly rankings.
:confused: Not sure what your expectation is for a DB1, but 6 solos per week = 96 solos for the season. Unless your league is particularly big play heavy, that's easily DB1 production over the course of a full season. And even with Branch's lack of big plays he's still likely top 10-20 in just about any format.Don't let the Tracy Porter's, et al fool you because they are among DB scoring leaders two weeks into the season because of a pick six. By mid-season those types will have fallen by the wayside and solid tackling safeties like Branch will make up the bulk of the top 20.Tis the season for overreaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
'munygon2 said:
you are disappointed in a safety averaging 6 solo tackles per game?Williams Moore also has 12 solo tackles through 2 games. From what I can tell, only 5 safeties in the entire league have more than 12 solo tackles thus far.If you're looking for more big plays, you may want to look elsewhere. In his 3 years as a starter, Branch has just 3 INTs, 3 FF/3 FR, and 6 sacks. He averages about 86 solo tackles/year though, which is why he's a very reliable starter in most standard scoring systems.

Thanks for the insight, I am probably just over analyzing. I'm sure it's the lack of big plays and/or sacks that's making him appear as not being productive. I just looked and he's the 34th highest safety in the Yahoo league I play in, and 21 of those above him are not taken at the moment. Hopefully things will even out after a few more games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread