What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (3 Viewers)

I actually see it going the opposite way (moving up weigh ins even more again to go on earlier in week.....then they do media/workouts/etc...) if anything at all is done. Already moved them up to allow more rehydration time. Weight cutting is never going to stop.

Also gives UFC (and replacement and fighter making weight to decide/negotiate) more time for short notice fight. The penalty IMO does need to be harsher (next fight(s) must be higher weight class and miss weight a X # of times you can't return to the weight class permanently or an extended period of time)

:lmao:  Loved the Alvarez tweet minutes go "Hey I'm 185....lets make something work". Yeah ok guy :lmao:  I'm sure UFC will get right on that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I think we are jumping to too many conclusions here. If it was just a weight issue, I am guessing the UFC would have made the fight a catch weight or something. Need a lot more info, and not policy changes just yet.

ETA: man, unprofessional and I think the blame can be shared with the team and coaches. unless something crazy happened, really no excuse for this:

"UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov was transported to Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center Thursday evening due to weight management medical issues. He was treated and has been discharged, UFC officials confirmed.

The scheduled interim lightweight championship bout between Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson at UFC 209 has been cancelled on the doctor’s recommendation.

UFC 209 emanates from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV. Saturday night live on Pay-Per-View at 10pm/7pm ETPT. Tyron Woodley takes on Stephen Thompson with his welterweight championship on the line in a rematch from their 2016 Fight of the Year contender at UFC 205."

Kabeeb needs to know if making 155 isn't realistic and just stop cutting weight so he can at least be healthy for a fight. Similar to the Pettis/Holloway situation.

The weight cuts some of these guys put themselves through are brutal, and their bodies don't always react the way they expect. They might go through the process exactly as they have on other occasions, but still run into trouble.

Michael Johnson said he is town and ready for a rematch.  Tony probably needs the $$$ so I bet he takes anything.

The weight cuts some of these guys put themselves through are brutal, and their bodies don't always react the way they expect. They might go through the process exactly as they have on other occasions, but still run into trouble.
yeah it's possible, but why is it that only 5-10 guys have these problems. Totally off the top of my head here, but I would say 90-95% of UFC fighters have not had a fight called off because of a weight cut issue. It has been going on since like UFC 25 or something, and this discussion has been had ad nauseum.

UFC needs to consider fining fighter's camps and fighter's themselves for lost PPV revenue, etc. then maybe it starts to get cut down

Unless it's Lando Vannata (who already made weight), it's not happening unless they find someone able to make 155 "title fight". 

El Cucuy's paid more for "championship fight" and getting his show money. No reason to take a nontitle or catchweight one. Nothing to gain. He'll be getting paid more (again) for when they set the next fake title fight. Maybe the 4th time's a charm to making an El Cucuy-Khabib fight..... :crazy:  

and maybe it is because Boxing does not have the internet media coverage the MMA does, but I can't remember a big fight being cancelled to failed weight cut (though I am sure it has happened). Can't act like this is something that can be prevented, and I get the fact that sometimes weight cut goes wrong, but you should know a few days out if it will or not, or if something else is going on.

If I had to guess, probably Khabib's knee is still messed up or some injury like that, so he couldn't do the cardio or weight cutting he is used to

and maybe it is because Boxing does not have the internet media coverage the MMA does, but I can't remember a big fight being cancelled to failed weight cut (though I am sure it has happened).
Boxing weight classes are way different.  They go up 4-6 pounds.  In MMA you're making 10-15 pound jumps.  Much easier to find your ideal weight in boxing.

Boxing weight classes are way different.  They go up 4-6 pounds.  In MMA you're making 10-15 pound jumps.  Much easier to find your ideal weight in boxing.
agreed, and I think the wrestling mentality is what makes it significantly different. Just think they can change practices all they want, fighters will still try to get any advantage they can. Might be the only way to get in front of this is to raise the fines and the UFC to do some as well, justifying it as a loss in revenue, etc.

not sure the answer, but when a big fight like this gets cancelled because of weight cut issue, I think the new UFC owners need to see this as an opportunity to do something about it. could create good will for them and it effects their pockets directly, so they should have plenty of motivation to do something (I for one, am less inclined to buy the PPV now)

ETA: I will take Kevin Randleman KO'ing himself before he walks out to a fight any day over these weight cut issues.

ETA2: and for all the outraqe caused over GSP-Bisping, this should cause the same outcry and demand that something is done to stop this nonsense. And I apologize now if there is a good excuse for it from a reliable source (mono, etc.), but if not this is one of those things that is not good for anybody

Michael Johnson said he is town and ready for a rematch.  Tony probably needs the $$$ so I bet he takes anything.
I think that Tony gets paid anyway -- as he should IMO. And give him some of Khabib's money (even if it's from his next fight if need be) while you're at it. Assuming that this is just a weight cutting issue and not something serious and / or unrelated.

New rule.  If you drop out of a fight in the last 7 days, you turn over your fight money and wife/GF to the opponent.  I imagine that will be incentive to drop out for some people.

Why does cutting weight happen at the last second?  Why not start trimming it off weeks before?  Will they not be able to pack it all back on before the fight if it's a slower cut?

I'd love to see it, but it'll never happen. There probably isn't a single guy on the roster who would be able to stay in their current weight class. The titles and rankings would get completely blown apart.
So what, change the game.   They shouldn't be fighting at a weight then can't maintain anyway.  

Why does cutting weight happen at the last second?  Why not start trimming it off weeks before?  Will they not be able to pack it all back on before the fight if it's a slower cut?
They can't maintain time at this weight.  They're severely dehydrating themselves for a single point in time and if they tried to train in that state, we'd see folks falling over dead.  

I think the issues are different for different fighters. Like Abrantes said, sometimes it is a freak thing. But I think that is for like 10-15%. I know quite a few are from a lack of discipline. Hendricks was famous for ballooning up so much in between fights that it was impossible to just put all that weight on and it comes off like it is as simple as simply seeing it as "weight". A good thing about MMA is a lot of the guys are up front and open discussing these things. No matter what people think of Conner McGreggor, I know he has come out and said that no matter what he does, he will always make weight. The science and everything else is out there with the blueprint on how to cut weight

They do -- but the last ____ pounds of it are usually lost through severe dehydration, which obviously can lead to some major problems. Daniel Cormier almost died when his kidneys shut down completely during a cut for the Olympics, for example. There are a bunch of videos out there showing the final stages of the cut for different fighters, and it looks like it's a pretty horrific process.

It's going to be interesting to hear Rogan's take on this.  He has been very critical of the weight loss at times.  I am also suspicious that it may be something else.  The guy has never lost a fight, or a round, or has had trouble making weight (at least that I know of).  Why now?  I'd think a cold, or flu, food poisoning would be good excuses.  That happens to everyone.  Cutting weight is part of your job as a fighter.  No excuse.

It's going to be interesting to hear Rogan's take on this.  He has been very critical of the weight loss at times.  I am also suspicious that it may be something else.  The guy has never lost a fight, or a round, or has had trouble making weight (at least that I know of).  Why now?  I'd think a cold, or flu, food poisoning would be good excuses.  That happens to everyone.  Cutting weight is part of your job as a fighter.  No excuse.
He actually misses weight at UFC 160 I believe -- it was the time he fought Trujillo and set the TD record IIRC.

Unless it's Lando Vannata (who already made weight), it's not happening unless they find someone able to make 155 "title fight". 

El Cucuy's paid more for "championship fight" and getting his show money. No reason to take a nontitle or catchweight one. Nothing to gain. He'll be getting paid more (again) for when they set the next fake title fight. Maybe the 4th time's a charm to making an El Cucuy-Khabib fight..... :crazy:  
El cucuy has tweeted and since confirmed this and declined michael Johnson nontitle fight. 

El cucuy has tweeted and since confirmed this and declined michael Johnson nontitle fight. 
said it was for less money and no title. weird. i hope Khabib goes to the back of the line (if there was a legit reason he wouldn't have been released after a couple of hours and they would have said something already)

Khabib is not in much of a position to hurt his opportunities.  he's wrecking people in his division but he's a broken English, conservative Muslim fighter.   Basically a marketing runny lump of mashed potatoes -- Gotta think Dana wants Cucuy to be the champ over him 100x over.    Shooting yourself in the foot with bungled weight cuts -- that's one thing if you're gold to the promotion.  But if they're looking for any excuse to not give you your break, how do you give them a big shiny excuse?

Really just f'n terrible.    GET YOUR #### TOGETHER KHAAAABEEEEEEEEEEEB

AhrnCityPahnder said:
he's a broken English, conservative Muslim fighter.   Basically a marketing runny lump of mashed potatoes 
Maybe Putin poisoned him?

Seriously though, I think the UFC was hoping Khabib would help expand the sport internationally.  I doubt anyone buys ppvs in Russia, they probably are ripped off and provided free courtesy of state TV.  However, more International exposure has to help the sport.

Caught some of the Bellator card last night. First time seeing Julia Budd in action, and damn, she is a bull. Took her forever to get the finish, but Coenen couldn't get anything going against her.

I think the UFC was hoping Khabib would help expand the sport internationally.  I doubt anyone buys ppvs in Russia, they probably are ripped off and provided free courtesy of state TV.  However, more International exposure has to help the sport.

I don't disagree with any of this.  but Post Rousey, Retired Brock, Hijinx Jon Jones, Sage and Paige deflated -- they really need some new championship caliber fighters to re-invigorate the US fan base.    I repeat Khabib's game, but he's not that guy.  

I don't disagree with any of this.  but Post Rousey, Retired Brock, Hijinx Jon Jones, Sage and Paige deflated -- they really need some new championship caliber fighters to re-invigorate the US fan base.    I repeat Khabib's game, but he's not that guy.  
They shouldn't have made the deal with Reebok.  If they had smaller companies, they would be helping to promote and make these guys.  They need help from a character development standpoint.  As schticky as it may be, Conner is obviously working.  Brock had schtick from WWE, Rousey had it...  They should hire a WWE writer, pass out bottles of hair dye, provide free Tattoos, and encourage these guys to plaster themselves on social media.

The Fertitas steadily and patiently built the brand up from nothing by making it all about the fights. Now, we have legitimate top fighters like Rory, Phil Davis, and Bader leaving over the stupid Reebok deal while the UFC throws money at Sage Northcut and CM Punk, makes up new fake titles for every event, and promotes fighters based solely on who runs their mouth the loudest.

They need to get back to just putting the best guys in the cage against each other. Great fights sell themselves.

There are still guys fighting on main cards making $10K / fight. Dana needs to #### and pay the fighters. And get rid of that stupid Reebok deal so they can make money with sponsorships. Obviously not everyone is going to make the McGregor millions, but they should be able to make a decent living if they're willing to put their bodies on the line in the cage to make Dana and the owners rich.

My question kinda got lost in the Khabib debacle but I'm a little lost. 

I know I can get the PPV on Xbox and the UFC fight pass prelims on there. Can I get the FS1 prelims on there? The website and FAQ section is unclear.

I royally screwed up my back this morning and my buddy is counting on me to get this working. So any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread