What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (4 Viewers)

Yuck, Kim looks terrible, thank God Karo certainly isn't 100%. I can't believe how much i put on Kim :X Between this and bball, it is looking very, very ugly

[in my original predictions for the card a week ago, I figured that the more experienced Karo would probably run over Kim, who looked in trouble even against the mediocre Matt Brown. Still, I'm thinking Kim corrected the problems he had with his gas tank, while Karo looked horribly soft at the weigh-in and everyone is seemingly concerned over his panic attacks and mental state. Looks more and more like Kim is a great bet.
thanks man, watching Karo get in the ring i thought so too. I jsut can't believe how Kim did not take more advantage of that fight though. I thought Kim should have won, but in all honesty, neither of them deserved to win. I can't believe how much money i had put on Kim which was just dumb in the first place, but i can't believe how crappy Kim was too.

So the UFC Fight night is this weekend coming up. here are some preliminary lines, andybody have any opinions:

Kurt Pellegrino -180

22:00 ET Rob Emerson +150

UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Lightweight Matchup

2/7/09 515 Joe Lauzon -185

22:00 ET Jeremy Stephens +155

UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Middleweight Matchup

2/7/09 520 Dan Miller -170

22:00 ET Jake Rosholt +140

UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Heavyweight Matchup

2/7/09 525 Cain Velasquez -600

21:00 ET Denis Stojnic +400

UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Lightweight Matchup

2/7/09 530 Mac Danzig -115

21:00 ET Josh Neer -115

UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Welterweight Matchup

2/7/09 535 Matt Riddle -120

21:00 ET Steve Bruno -110

i think i got some money on Mac Danzig and Kurt Pellegrino, and they should be able to win. Anybody have any opinions?

and congrats to you guys who put money on Machida? I think he'll be the champion soon, and he looked awesome

So the UFC Fight night is this weekend coming up. here are some preliminary lines, andybody have any opinions:Kurt Pellegrino -180 22:00 ET Rob Emerson +150 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Lightweight Matchup 2/7/09 515 Joe Lauzon -185 22:00 ET Jeremy Stephens +155 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Middleweight Matchup 2/7/09 520 Dan Miller -170 22:00 ET Jake Rosholt +140 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Heavyweight Matchup 2/7/09 525 Cain Velasquez -600 21:00 ET Denis Stojnic +400 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Lightweight Matchup 2/7/09 530 Mac Danzig -115 21:00 ET Josh Neer -115 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Welterweight Matchup 2/7/09 535 Matt Riddle -120 21:00 ET Steve Bruno -110 i think i got some money on Mac Danzig and Kurt Pellegrino, and they should be able to win. Anybody have any opinions?and congrats to you guys who put money on Machida? I think he'll be the champion soon, and he looked awesome
Heh, sorry if I cost ya money last time on Kim, man. Second time in a row that he comes out on fire in the first round, then wilts in the following two. Really frustrating.At any rate, Pellegrino's a safe bet. The other one I really like is Rosholt at +140. Dude is pretty green in MMA terms, but I think it's safe to say that, Lindland aside, he's the best pure wrestler in the division. You can tell from his last fight that he's still pretty one-dimensional, but he's already good enough to take his opponents down and control them via sheer strength and wrestling, and has pretty decent ground 'n' pound. Miller's a tough opponent because he's very versatile and has sharp jiu-jitsu (I worry about a guillotine as Rosholt shoots in, mostly), but Rosholt +140 is still a very attractive bet to me. Hope he pulls through.

So the UFC Fight night is this weekend coming up. here are some preliminary lines, andybody have any opinions:Kurt Pellegrino -180 22:00 ET Rob Emerson +150 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Lightweight Matchup 2/7/09 515 Joe Lauzon -185 22:00 ET Jeremy Stephens +155 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Middleweight Matchup 2/7/09 520 Dan Miller -170 22:00 ET Jake Rosholt +140 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Heavyweight Matchup 2/7/09 525 Cain Velasquez -600 21:00 ET Denis Stojnic +400 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Lightweight Matchup 2/7/09 530 Mac Danzig -115 21:00 ET Josh Neer -115 UFC - Ultimate Fight Night - Welterweight Matchup 2/7/09 535 Matt Riddle -120 21:00 ET Steve Bruno -110 i think i got some money on Mac Danzig and Kurt Pellegrino, and they should be able to win. Anybody have any opinions?and congrats to you guys who put money on Machida? I think he'll be the champion soon, and he looked awesome
Heh, sorry if I cost ya money last time on Kim, man. Second time in a row that he comes out on fire in the first round, then wilts in the following two. Really frustrating.At any rate, Pellegrino's a safe bet. The other one I really like is Rosholt at +140. Dude is pretty green in MMA terms, but I think it's safe to say that, Lindland aside, he's the best pure wrestler in the division. You can tell from his last fight that he's still pretty one-dimensional, but he's already good enough to take his opponents down and control them via sheer strength and wrestling, and has pretty decent ground 'n' pound. Miller's a tough opponent because he's very versatile and has sharp jiu-jitsu (I worry about a guillotine as Rosholt shoots in, mostly), but Rosholt +140 is still a very attractive bet to me. Hope he pulls through.
thanks, but i cost myself on Kim. I just got too excited with hearing how bad off Karo was (which seems to be pretty accurate), but Kim was just God awful as well. You win some you lose some. I like Rosholt too, and put some money on him. I have to think he has trained to get ready for a guillotine, and i think Dan is very much like his brother Cole in their jujitsu, just lengthy and more dangerous that way, rather than a Joe Stevenson with his guiilotine. Rosholt is a good call. so Abrants you sound knowledgeable with all of this. I really like Mac Danzig and Joe Lauzon. Stevenson is at a higher cost, but hermes jujitsu outweighs Stevens 10 fold, and Jeremy has a ton of heart and some dangerous stand-up, but Lauzon has faced much tougher oppopnents. I actually think the comparison is similar to Neer-Danzig, with Neer obviously facing tougher opponents then Stevens and much more experience, but i think Mac can hold his own. Hard with these 2 because i don't really know who they have been training with and everything to prepare for this fight, i just think Mac Danzig has enough in his arsenal to win. i would love to hear your thoughts on these 2

so Abrants you sound knowledgeable with all of this. I really like Mac Danzig and Joe Lauzon. Stevenson is at a higher cost, but hermes jujitsu outweighs Stevens 10 fold, and Jeremy has a ton of heart and some dangerous stand-up, but Lauzon has faced much tougher oppopnents. I actually think the comparison is similar to Neer-Danzig, with Neer obviously facing tougher opponents then Stevens and much more experience, but i think Mac can hold his own. Hard with these 2 because i don't really know who they have been training with and everything to prepare for this fight, i just think Mac Danzig has enough in his arsenal to win. i would love to hear your thoughts on these 2
I think Stephens/Lauzon match up really well, as they have different strengths. Lauzon has a very clear edge in terms of sharp technique, especially on the ground, while Stephens has great knockout power for a lightweight, as well as (exactly like you said) a ton of heart. If Stephens had been training for this fight all along, it might've been a tougher call. As it is though, Stephens was training for a fight further down in early April and took the fight on short notice to replace his injured teammate Hermes Franca. That might affect his overall preparation and cardio. Although Stephens will always have a shot in a striking war, I gotta take Lauzon in this one, likely by submission.Neer/Danzig is a really tough call, and the betting line reflects it. Both are really well-rounded, but don't have anything in their game that really just overwhelm their opponents. They're fairly even in the standup, although Neer's probably a bit more dangerous there. I'd also guess he's a slightly more powerful wrestler, so he should be able to take it to the ground if things aren't going his way. Danzig's slicker on the ground, but if Nate Diaz couldn't finish Neer, I'm not sure if Danzig will. I guess the bottom line for me is that I don't know if Danzig can finish Neer, and think Neer can probably control the fight to get a decision. Could go either way, but I'm taking Neer on this one. :boxing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Best dog odds I feel are on Luigi Fioravanti

he's anywhere from +225 to +291 depending on your book

either way, I love Anthony johnson, and his destruction of Kevin Burns last time out is definitely fresh in bettors memories

That said, Fioravanti has a ton of experience, and Johnson ofte comes out flying and tires

I think Fioravanti can take this into the 2nd and 3rd and either catch Johnson in a sub or decision him

Best dog odds I feel are on Luigi Fioravantihe's anywhere from +225 to +291 depending on your bookeither way, I love Anthony johnson, and his destruction of Kevin Burns last time out is definitely fresh in bettors memoriesThat said, Fioravanti has a ton of experience, and Johnson ofte comes out flying and tiresI think Fioravanti can take this into the 2nd and 3rd and either catch Johnson in a sub or decision him
wow, bold statement there, but I do think Luigi has good value. I think Anthony Johnson wins the fight, but you are right with Luigi getting those numbers it isn't a terrible call taking a chance with him. I keep thinking back to his fight with Leban, but i just looked it up on fight finder and didn't realize that was 2 years ago. i agree you get good value here, but i love Anthony Johnson a lot too and think he'll win

Best dog odds I feel are on Luigi Fioravantihe's anywhere from +225 to +291 depending on your bookeither way, I love Anthony johnson, and his destruction of Kevin Burns last time out is definitely fresh in bettors memoriesThat said, Fioravanti has a ton of experience, and Johnson ofte comes out flying and tiresI think Fioravanti can take this into the 2nd and 3rd and either catch Johnson in a sub or decision him
wow, bold statement there, but I do think Luigi has good value. I think Anthony Johnson wins the fight, but you are right with Luigi getting those numbers it isn't a terrible call taking a chance with him. I keep thinking back to his fight with Leban, but i just looked it up on fight finder and didn't realize that was 2 years ago. i agree you get good value here, but i love Anthony Johnson a lot too and think he'll win
I like Johnson better also, and think there's a good chance he will win, but from a strict odds perspective I feel this bet on Luigi is +EV, especially the higher you can get itif you can get it at +291 (which is what it is at pinnacle) i think there is great value here

so Abrants you sound knowledgeable with all of this. I really like Mac Danzig and Joe Lauzon. Stevenson is at a higher cost, but hermes jujitsu outweighs Stevens 10 fold, and Jeremy has a ton of heart and some dangerous stand-up, but Lauzon has faced much tougher oppopnents. I actually think the comparison is similar to Neer-Danzig, with Neer obviously facing tougher opponents then Stevens and much more experience, but i think Mac can hold his own. Hard with these 2 because i don't really know who they have been training with and everything to prepare for this fight, i just think Mac Danzig has enough in his arsenal to win. i would love to hear your thoughts on these 2
I think Stephens/Lauzon match up really well, as they have different strengths. Lauzon has a very clear edge in terms of sharp technique, especially on the ground, while Stephens has great knockout power for a lightweight, as well as (exactly like you said) a ton of heart. If Stephens had been training for this fight all along, it might've been a tougher call. As it is though, Stephens was training for a fight further down in early April and took the fight on short notice to replace his injured teammate Hermes Franca. That might affect his overall preparation and cardio. Although Stephens will always have a shot in a striking war, I gotta take Lauzon in this one, likely by submission.Neer/Danzig is a really tough call, and the betting line reflects it. Both are really well-rounded, but don't have anything in their game that really just overwhelm their opponents. They're fairly even in the standup, although Neer's probably a bit more dangerous there. I'd also guess he's a slightly more powerful wrestler, so he should be able to take it to the ground if things aren't going his way. Danzig's slicker on the ground, but if Nate Diaz couldn't finish Neer, I'm not sure if Danzig will. I guess the bottom line for me is that I don't know if Danzig can finish Neer, and think Neer can probably control the fight to get a decision. Could go either way, but I'm taking Neer on this one. :boxing:
sounds good, thanks. I grabbed Lauzon and Danzig awhile ago when the lines went first up. I am hoping that both Stevens and Neer barely making weight drains them quite a bit and gets them to fatigue early tomorrow. Lauzon should be alright, but i am not as confident in Danzig as i was when i first bet him. Neer will have a size advantage. My thought is that Danzig has crisper striking and better technique, and hopefuly can outscore Neer on the scorecard. looking at his latest fights, his win over Din Thomas makes me a bit nervous. i don't remember seeing that fight, but Din certainly is a quality opponent. Well, the bets are already in, so i am hoping they come through.

I like Johnson better also, and think there's a good chance he will win, but from a strict odds perspective I feel this bet on Luigi is +EV, especially the higher you can get itif you can get it at +291 (which is what it is at pinnacle) i think there is great value here
I am also tempted to take a stab at Denis Stojnic. I have been reading up on him and didn't realize he trains with Mousasi, Ernesto Hoost and Gilbert Yvel. Cain Valesquez is a beast, but i know he said he doesn't know much about Denis, and he could come in and surprise. I think Cain wins, but i think Stojnic should be closer to +250 or +300, not at +425. i probably won't take it, but he has a puncher's chance.

I like Danzig over Neer FWIW

Just think he's better in every phase of the game

Also, FWIW, Neer needed an extra hour to cut the weight necessary

A tough cut like that could really be a negative

Also would never lay the odds he's getting on Velazquez, but he should romp

This Stojic dude looks like a tomato can (albeit a very large one)

http://mmaaddicts.com/dann/ufn17/denis-stojnic-sm.jpg
ugh, that picture certainly convinced me to not take any chances at all on Stojnic. Man that was convincing. i think you nailed it that he is most likely there to sell Cain to the larger audience and is a showcase fight for himQuick Edit here: not to say i am in any better shape at all than Stojnic. I am guessing i would last about 15 seconds before he would knock me out, but i think Cain offers a better challenge to him than i would.

With how my day has gone, I don't trust anything I like at this point.

Was considering Rosholt at +140 but got there to late to play it.

Really thinking of a bridgejump play on Velasquez. I think your assessment from the other thread is spot on modogg, the UFC is trying to get him facetime right now with a soupcan so they can start putting him on some big PPVs in hopes that he is the next elite heavyweight. Moved to -800 which kind of sucks so I don't know what I'm going to do at the moment.

The other one I really like is Rosholt at +140. Dude is pretty green in MMA terms, but I think it's safe to say that, Lindland aside, he's the best pure wrestler in the division. You can tell from his last fight that he's still pretty one-dimensional, but he's already good enough to take his opponents down and control them via sheer strength and wrestling, and has pretty decent ground 'n' pound. Miller's a tough opponent because he's very versatile and has sharp jiu-jitsu (I worry about a guillotine as Rosholt shoots in, mostly), but Rosholt +140 is still a very attractive bet to me. Hope he pulls through.
Dan Miller def. Jake Rosholt by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:03, R1 :unsure: :thumbup:

The other one I really like is Rosholt at +140. Dude is pretty green in MMA terms, but I think it's safe to say that, Lindland aside, he's the best pure wrestler in the division. You can tell from his last fight that he's still pretty one-dimensional, but he's already good enough to take his opponents down and control them via sheer strength and wrestling, and has pretty decent ground 'n' pound. Miller's a tough opponent because he's very versatile and has sharp jiu-jitsu (I worry about a guillotine as Rosholt shoots in, mostly), but Rosholt +140 is still a very attractive bet to me. Hope he pulls through.
Dan Miller def. Jake Rosholt by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:03, R1 :doh: :popcorn:
geeez. i ended up reading a couple of things on various MMA websites and opted not to take Rosholt. Good prediction with the guillotine though. I have been hearing that MMA betting has really picked up and they are beginning to add prop bets like 'chances to end in a guillotine choke' and stuff. Nice call though

I'm on this velasquez guy, the greek has him at -900 and I have some leftover money at skybook who has him at -650, seems like a lot of value there so I jumped on it. I know nothing about this sport but found a live feed at mmahacks.com to watch it

I'm on this velasquez guy, the greek has him at -900 and I have some leftover money at skybook who has him at -650, seems like a lot of value there so I jumped on it. I know nothing about this sport but found a live feed at mmahacks.com to watch it
The card's on Spike TV.I'm on Velasquez too. This should be over quickly.

Tremendous Upside said:
I put $500 on Johnson. I'm that confident in him right now, it's going to take someone a lot better than Fioravanti to stop the roll he's on. I think he'll have a title shot within the next 18 months.

Awesome! Thanks!
well congrats you 2. Nice line shopping, huge difference between those lines.

Awesome! Thanks!
Just won some more on Lauzon. I'm hooked.

I also laid $200 on Lauzon.
whew, i needed Lauzon to get that. I had bets on Lauzon, Luigi Fiorvanti, Mac Danzig and Kurt Pellegrino. 2-2 is not what i was hoping for. The Luigi pick was a the smallest one, and was simply a flyer hoping to catch some luck. My killer was Mac Danzig betting twice the amount on him that i did Kurt and Lauzon. but smart money on Johnson, man he is such a bad ###. I have liked him since the first time i saw him, and i assume his next fight will be a significant challenge, maybe a Koscheck or something. if GSP tears through Alves, i think Anthony may be one of the few left that has a chance against GSP.

Awesome! Thanks!
Just won some more on Lauzon. I'm hooked.
nice, it is easy to get hooked. A lot of the fights tonight were predictable and not too many upsets. there are certainly some guys who are pretty much guaranteed money, but they will probably come with the -500 lines. also some profitable upsets you can see coming (i hit a +300 a week or 2 ago, and a nice one about a month ago). definately some money can be made here

I also laid $200 on Lauzon.
whew, i needed Lauzon to get that. I had bets on Lauzon, Luigi Fiorvanti, Mac Danzig and Kurt Pellegrino. 2-2 is not what i was hoping for. The Luigi pick was a the smallest one, and was simply a flyer hoping to catch some luck. My killer was Mac Danzig betting twice the amount on him that i did Kurt and Lauzon. but smart money on Johnson, man he is such a bad ###. I have liked him since the first time i saw him, and i assume his next fight will be a significant challenge, maybe a Koscheck or something. if GSP tears through Alves, i think Anthony may be one of the few left that has a chance against GSP.
Good win for Lauzon - he can just beat you in so many ways. That said I'm glad he won it when he did because that cut may have led to a stoppage had it gone to the third.And I'd love to see a Johnson/Koscheck fight.

so i'd love to hear people's opinion on the Diego Sanchez-Joe Stevenson fight. I think Joe Big Daddy has a fair chance to win this, and i think i expained it in an earlier post about this being the first time Diego cutting weight (though i heard a recent rumor he didn't have to really cut to get to 170 for the most part, but still 15 pounds is quite a bit). It seems the public is coming in kind of heavy on Diego, and i guess i would love to hear some counter-arguments before i go heavy on Joe Stevenson.

It's funny because the most money i lost on an MMA bet was to Stevenson because i thought Melvin Guillard would own him. If only i knew Melvin's mental status was as rocky as it was/is i would have been more cautious. This is a good chance for Joe to make it up to me.

here are a few factors. I think the first season of the Ultimate Fighter was a lot of talented guys, and i remember everyone thinking Diego was an automatic to win that season. I mention because if someone like Randy Cotoure feels a guy is unique talent i listen. I think Joe can wrestle with Diego and his BJJ is good enough to handle Diego, and i also think his work with his stand-up coach has helped his stand-up to be on par with Diego (satisfactory, not natural looking or fluid, but certainly sufficient for MMA). i don't know if Diego has an outstanding advantage over him (and vice versa), so is Joe a good bet or should i stay light with him and take him as more of a flyer?

so i'd love to hear people's opinion on the Diego Sanchez-Joe Stevenson fight. I think Joe Big Daddy has a fair chance to win this, and i think i expained it in an earlier post about this being the first time Diego cutting weight (though i heard a recent rumor he didn't have to really cut to get to 170 for the most part, but still 15 pounds is quite a bit). It seems the public is coming in kind of heavy on Diego, and i guess i would love to hear some counter-arguments before i go heavy on Joe Stevenson. It's funny because the most money i lost on an MMA bet was to Stevenson because i thought Melvin Guillard would own him. If only i knew Melvin's mental status was as rocky as it was/is i would have been more cautious. This is a good chance for Joe to make it up to me. here are a few factors. I think the first season of the Ultimate Fighter was a lot of talented guys, and i remember everyone thinking Diego was an automatic to win that season. I mention because if someone like Randy Cotoure feels a guy is unique talent i listen. I think Joe can wrestle with Diego and his BJJ is good enough to handle Diego, and i also think his work with his stand-up coach has helped his stand-up to be on par with Diego (satisfactory, not natural looking or fluid, but certainly sufficient for MMA). i don't know if Diego has an outstanding advantage over him (and vice versa), so is Joe a good bet or should i stay light with him and take him as more of a flyer?
Didn't realize Sanchez was such a big favorite in this fight. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with making a big play on Stevenson, but at over +200, it's hard not to see some value in the line. However, if your opinion of this fight is strongly influenced by the possibility of Sanchez having a tough time cutting weight, I'd reconsider making it a big play. I feel like Stevenson's best chance of winning this fight is catching Diego in a sub..otherwise I think Diego will pick him apart in the standup. I just recall Kenny Florian dismantling Stevenson in his last fight and that has me hesitant to think Joe Daddy can hang with Sanchez here as well.Any thoughts on Maia -275 over Sonnen?

so i'd love to hear people's opinion on the Diego Sanchez-Joe Stevenson fight. I think Joe Big Daddy has a fair chance to win this, and i think i expained it in an earlier post about this being the first time Diego cutting weight (though i heard a recent rumor he didn't have to really cut to get to 170 for the most part, but still 15 pounds is quite a bit). It seems the public is coming in kind of heavy on Diego, and i guess i would love to hear some counter-arguments before i go heavy on Joe Stevenson. It's funny because the most money i lost on an MMA bet was to Stevenson because i thought Melvin Guillard would own him. If only i knew Melvin's mental status was as rocky as it was/is i would have been more cautious. This is a good chance for Joe to make it up to me. here are a few factors. I think the first season of the Ultimate Fighter was a lot of talented guys, and i remember everyone thinking Diego was an automatic to win that season. I mention because if someone like Randy Cotoure feels a guy is unique talent i listen. I think Joe can wrestle with Diego and his BJJ is good enough to handle Diego, and i also think his work with his stand-up coach has helped his stand-up to be on par with Diego (satisfactory, not natural looking or fluid, but certainly sufficient for MMA). i don't know if Diego has an outstanding advantage over him (and vice versa), so is Joe a good bet or should i stay light with him and take him as more of a flyer?
Didn't realize Sanchez was such a big favorite in this fight. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with making a big play on Stevenson, but at over +200, it's hard not to see some value in the line. However, if your opinion of this fight is strongly influenced by the possibility of Sanchez having a tough time cutting weight, I'd reconsider making it a big play. I feel like Stevenson's best chance of winning this fight is catching Diego in a sub..otherwise I think Diego will pick him apart in the standup. I just recall Kenny Florian dismantling Stevenson in his last fight and that has me hesitant to think Joe Daddy can hang with Sanchez here as well.Any thoughts on Maia -275 over Sonnen?
i think Maia is close to a guarantee. my guess is Chael will be a little bit thrown off with his first fight in the UFC, and Maia has been looking better each time out. training with Wanderlei and everybody, i just like Maia a ton.and with the Stevenson fight, i'll wait a bit and i can take the time to look closer. Yes Florian destroyed Stevenson, but i think that is more of a credit to Stevenson. I've been itching to take Florian againt BJ for sometime. Florian just keeps improving each fight, and i think he wants the fight a ton more. i think Florian will be a big underdog and i really think he will be ready for that fight. i will have to find Diego's last fight and take a look again

Didn't want to start a new thread, but some UFC news:

-- Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver was arrested over the weekend on after punching security guards at Vegas night club, Krave. The The UFC "Ultimate Fighter: Season 6" star was picked up by Las Vegas PD for misdemeanor battery on Saturday morning after allegedly getting into a fight at Krave nightclub. Cops told TMZ.com that security at Krave was escorting War Machine out of the club after a little brouhaha -- when he allegedly turned on security and starting punching them. Security made a citizens arrest until Las Vegas PD could show up. You can see War Machine's mugshot here.

-- Former number one welterweight contender, Karo Parisyan, has tested positive for several painkillers, including Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone, following his controversial split decision win over Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 31. (Source: MMAMania.com)

--------------------

Karo looked like #### vs. Kim. Dude was gassed after 90 seconds. Kept spitting out his mouthpiece & should of been deducted a point for his antics. Shouldn't of won. It's a disgrace he got that decision.

Haven't really followed the War Machine's career outside of the UF. I know he was an emotional wreck on the show.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but some UFC news:-- Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver was arrested over the weekend on after punching security guards at Vegas night club, Krave. The The UFC "Ultimate Fighter: Season 6" star was picked up by Las Vegas PD for misdemeanor battery on Saturday morning after allegedly getting into a fight at Krave nightclub. Cops told TMZ.com that security at Krave was escorting War Machine out of the club after a little brouhaha -- when he allegedly turned on security and starting punching them. Security made a citizens arrest until Las Vegas PD could show up. You can see War Machine's mugshot here.-- Former number one welterweight contender, Karo Parisyan, has tested positive for several painkillers, including Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone, following his controversial split decision win over Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 31. (Source: MMAMania.com)--------------------Karo looked like #### vs. Kim. Dude was gassed after 90 seconds. Kept spitting out his mouthpiece & should of been deducted a point for his antics. Shouldn't of won. It's a disgrace he got that decision.Haven't really followed the War Machine's career outside of the UF. I know he was an emotional wreck on the show.
I can't verify (which i guess is a good thing), but apparently Krave is a gay nightclub "but very straight-friendly". i have no idea what that means, and obviously there is nothing wrong with it, but the guy is off his rocker. Apparently he posted a message on his myspac page shortly after saying something about he wasn't showing up in a picture being taken of him and he thinks a ghost had something to do with it. Maybe a good defense, i don't know, but yeah, the guy has dug himself a deep grave and won't be around anytime soon. and i read that about Karo too. I was wondering what the sportsbooks would do if they change the decision to a no contest like they did with Nick Diaz vs. Gomi. i would certainly fight to get my money back, but if they already awarded money to people i imagine it may be tough to take back. i think the NSAC is looking to suspend him for 3 months or so, and i guess cancel out a fight between him and Koscheck that was going to likely be on UFC 98, but Karo was looking to get things straight by training with GSP and all of his training staff.

It's hard to know how much emphasis to put on weight cutting, but this is a pretty sever cut by Sanchez. It's not just 170 to 155. According to Sanchez he weighed 193 on Christmas Eve. That's essentially 40 pounds in about 6 weeks. Hard to imagine doing that and not having it effect you somewhat.

It's hard to know how much emphasis to put on weight cutting, but this is a pretty sever cut by Sanchez. It's not just 170 to 155. According to Sanchez he weighed 193 on Christmas Eve. That's essentially 40 pounds in about 6 weeks. Hard to imagine doing that and not having it effect you somewhat.
Sanchez is a warrior though. If anyone can make that cut in a quasi-healthy way, he can. If he can get down to a lean 170 in that time, 14 pounds of water is nothing for most of these guys. If he can get down to 155 and retain his great conditioning, he'll be a force.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but some UFC news:-- Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver was arrested over the weekend on after punching security guards at Vegas night club, Krave. The The UFC "Ultimate Fighter: Season 6" star was picked up by Las Vegas PD for misdemeanor battery on Saturday morning after allegedly getting into a fight at Krave nightclub. Cops told TMZ.com that security at Krave was escorting War Machine out of the club after a little brouhaha -- when he allegedly turned on security and starting punching them. Security made a citizens arrest until Las Vegas PD could show up. You can see War Machine's mugshot here.-- Former number one welterweight contender, Karo Parisyan, has tested positive for several painkillers, including Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone, following his controversial split decision win over Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 31. (Source: MMAMania.com)--------------------Karo looked like #### vs. Kim. Dude was gassed after 90 seconds. Kept spitting out his mouthpiece & should of been deducted a point for his antics. Shouldn't of won. It's a disgrace he got that decision.Haven't really followed the War Machine's career outside of the UF. I know he was an emotional wreck on the show.
Why are pain killers not allowed? You'd think a lot of these guys would be on them given the abuse their bodies take. It's not like they give them any sort of advantage.

Sanchez is a warrior though. If anyone can make that cut in a quasi-healthy way, he can. If he can get down to 155 and retain his great conditioning, he'll be a force.
I agree, it just seems like a ton of weight in a short periodI think he's better than Stevenson though, for sure

Why are pain killers not allowed? You'd think a lot of these guys would be on them given the abuse their bodies take. It's not like they give them any sort of advantage.
The ability to not feel/feel less pain in the octagon would seem to be an advantage to me:lmao:Gives you a higher threshold, allows you to push harder, longer, etcNot sure if there are other reasons also

Sanchez is a warrior though. If anyone can make that cut in a quasi-healthy way, he can. If he can get down to 155 and retain his great conditioning, he'll be a force.
I agree, it just seems like a ton of weight in a short periodI think he's better than Stevenson though, for sure
I figure he should be able to cut 4 or so pounds a week in a fairly healthy manner. If he can do that, he'll be fine. As I said in my edit, 14 pounds of water ain't no thing.

The ability to not feel/feel less pain in the octagon would seem to be an advantage to me:mellow:Gives you a higher threshold, allows you to push harder, longer, etcNot sure if there are other reasons also
Yeah, I considered that, but I feel like they'd be more bad than good in that they would make you a lot less sharp/focused. And I would guess you would gas sooner if hopped up on hard core narcotics.

The ability to not feel/feel less pain in the octagon would seem to be an advantage to me:lmao:Gives you a higher threshold, allows you to push harder, longer, etcNot sure if there are other reasons also
Yeah, I considered that, but I feel like they'd be more bad than good in that they would make you a lot less sharp/focused. And I would guess you would gas sooner if hopped up on hard core narcotics.
who knows, i'm still trying to figure out how smoking pot gave Nick Diaz this huge advantage against Gomi. but it is a good question. What Karo was taking was certainly not a normal doctor prescribed medication. He was taking 3 different pain killers, all heavy duty opiates. I know Oxycoton is reserved for cancer patients and really heavy stuff, and considering he was on an additional 2 pain killers, i'm not sure how he can justify it.

Not the UFC, but you can watch Valentine's Eve Massacre live on Sherdog tonight.

Here's the card

Ken Shamrock vs. Ross Clifton

David Abbott vs. Mike Bourke

Josh Haynes vs. Rafael Real

Kyacey Uscola vs. BJ Lacy

Mike Moreno vs. Gary Padilla

Buddy Roberts vs. Wesley “Cabbage” Correira

Isaac de Jesus vs. Ashe Bowman

Rick Reeves vs. Nathan James

Jennifer Tate vs. Jen Babcock

Not the UFC, but you can watch Valentine's Eve Massacre live on Sherdog tonight.

Here's the card

Thanks!Ross Clifton: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ross-Clifton-2658 :shrug:

Here's the card

Thanks!Ross Clifton: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ross-Clifton-2658 :bag:
that is bad, i guess thus the results of Ken and Tank's fights. But the funniest was Ross's last win was a N/A in 9/07, and his win before that was in '05 sometime. I wonder how he won by N/A, maybe the other guy never showed or couldn't make weight so they didn't fight.

that is bad, i guess thus the results of Ken and Tank's fights. But the funniest was Ross's last win was a N/A in 9/07, and his win before that was in '05 sometime. I wonder how he won by N/A, maybe the other guy never showed or couldn't make weight so they didn't fight.
This whole event was pretty difficult to watch. Dunno if you caught the fight, but the guy Josh Haynes (from TUF) fought literally ran away from him the entire fight. Josh was running after him. His opponent should never be allowed to participate in an MMA event again. If you don't want to fight, go stock shelves at Walmart. Josh was pretty funny post-fight saying "if you put a man in there with me, I'll put him down".

Sanchez is a warrior though. If anyone can make that cut in a quasi-healthy way, he can. If he can get down to a lean 170 in that time, 14 pounds of water is nothing for most of these guys. If he can get down to 155 and retain his great conditioning, he'll be a force.
Sanchez was down to 163 last week. He will be fine. I hate Sanchez more than anyone, but he will beat Joe "Daddy" Stevenson pretty easily. And I am a big fan of Stevenson. Sanchez is just to big and powerful. Florian destroyed Stevenson last year, so I see this fight being very similar to that. Damian Maia will also take care of Sonnen rather easily. Maia is ridiculously good at BJJ. Sonnen won't be able to hang.

Sanchez was down to 163 last week. He will be fine. I hate Sanchez more than anyone, but he will beat Joe "Daddy" Stevenson pretty easily. And I am a big fan of Stevenson. Sanchez is just to big and powerful. Florian destroyed Stevenson last year, so I see this fight being very similar to that. Damian Maia will also take care of Sonnen rather easily. Maia is ridiculously good at BJJ. Sonnen won't be able to hang.
Not to mention one of the most intense fighters in MMA.

wow, seems the public is unloading on Diego, sportsbook has him at +325 now. I caught the Diego-Riggs fight again the other night, and Stevenson better be ready. Still, I think if you want to take a favorite Saturday, you take Maia. Koscheck will be a good bet too when they post his odds, but i am guessing he'll be over +450. On a side note, i caught the Countdown show tonight, and Diego is still an absolute nut. that either can work completely in his favor, or against.

also, i have to think fighting in Europe (England i think, right?) has to screw some of these guys up. I remember hearing about it before, and it can mess up the guys that are on the lower tier because they don't have the money or resources to get to the England early and adjust. Anybody want to guess if this will effect any of the guys? i have no idea that time difference between the West Coast and England, but i know it is significant

Local just posted lines:

Diego -300

Stevenson +240

I will not be touching that one.

Really liking Koschek at -550. Steep line, but Paulo Thiago has no business being in the ring with him IMO.

Also leaning strongly on Marquardt -280 and Maia -280. Heavy, heavy chalk on this card, so if I don't sweep I'm probably not seeing much profit. We'll see how my opinions get swayed when the write-ups start to come out. Overall, a pretty uninspiring card IMO, so I'll hope to find this one online like I did for the last card that was in Europe.

No way I bet on Koscheck in this one. Way too risky, considering I know next to nothing about his opponent, in terms of how he'll fare at this level. I'm more likely to throw a few bucks at Paulo Thiago to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread