What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Updated 2014 NFL mocks of the week (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Latest mock by Matt Miller.

Add others that have been updated and your own top-ten if you have one.

Can't say I agree with this latest effort so I'm sure others have different versions to share.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1881333-2014-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-latest-first-round-projections

1. Houston Texans—DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

The Houston Texans may be tempted to draft a quarterback here, but there's also strong reasons to not gamble on a quarterback if you aren't completely sold on him.

General manager Rick Smith and whomever his new head coach will be have a difficult decision to make. Draft a quarterback or pair Jadeveon Clowney with J.J. Watt? Better to build a dominant defense if there is any doubt about the top quarterbacks or if they think they can land Jay Cutler in free agency.

2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)—OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

The St. Louis Rams have a financial commitment to Sam Bradford at quarterback. That's a commitment they should protect. The team did sign Jake Long at left tackle but will likely lose Rodger Saffold in free agency.

If the 2013 draft proved anything, it's that teams are willing to draft a young tackle and play him on the right side until he's needed at left tackle. That's what the Rams could do with blue-chip prospect Jake Matthews. A trade out would be very likely in this scenario.

3. Atlanta Falcons—OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA

The Atlanta Falcons have the big pieces to the puzzle in place, but now they need to fill out the areas of the roster that have been neglected. One major weakness is in the pass rush, where the team sorely missed John Abraham.

They can replace his production with a player very similar, UCLA's Anthony Barr. The former running back is a top-level athlete and edge-rusher. He would give the Falcons defense an instant upgrade.

4. Minnesota Vikings—QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

The first quarterback comes off the board, and the Minnesota Vikings couldn't be happier. Their attempts with Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel and Josh Freeman all failed, and it's time to start over at the position. Teddy Bridgewater is a safe pick at the spot given his accuracy, field vision and ball placement all over the field. Once he bulks up a little, he'll be ready to roll over NFL defenses.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars—QB Derek Carr, Fresno State

The Jacksonville Jaguars have played their way out of the No. 1 overall pick but get a nice consolation prize in Derek Carr. The big-armed Fresno State quarterback has the experience the young franchise needs, and no player in college football comes with a better mix of strength, velocity and all-field accuracy than Carr.

6. Cleveland Browns—QB Blake Bortles, Central Florida

The Browns are desperate for a franchise quarterback but don't rule out Brian Hoyer as the 2014 opening-day starter. That would allow the team to draft a player who needs a little time to develop—like Blake Bortles. The UCF quarterback is a dual-threat star and has a little Andrew Luck or Ben Roethsliberger in his game. He's the type of smart, savvy passer the Browns have needed.

7. Oakland Raiders—QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

Johnny Manziel might seem like an odd choice for the Oakland Raiders, given general manager Reggie McKenzie's work with the Green Bay Packers. But in Green Bay, McKenzie had two quarterbacks who could move their feet and make plays (Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers). He would get that in Manziel, who is the type of spark plug that can ignite a stale offense and rejuvenate a fanbase.

8. Buffalo Bills—DE/LB Khalil Mack, Buffalo

The Buffalo Bills had an amazing 2013 draft, landing long-time starters EJ Manuel, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Kiko Alonso and Nickell Roby. Now they need a repeat performance. The coaching staff has found production from Jerry Hughes and others, but landing an elite prospect on the edge could change this defense. Khalil Mack is that type of player, and being a local prospect doesn't hurt either.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers—WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson

The Buccaneers have a starting quarterback now in Mike Glennon, but he needs a deep threat with some speed opposite the sure-handed Vincent Jackson. Sammy Watkins is a top-level prospect—on par with A.J. Green in fact—and could instantly open up the Tampa offense. With Glennon, Jackson and Watkins stretching the field, just imagine the holes for Doug Martin.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers—OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

It's time, again, to re-work the offensive line in Pittsburgh. The smart move for general manager Kevin Colbert would be to bite the bullet early in the 2014 draft and land a blue-chip left-tackle prospect.

Cyrus Kouandjio has had his rough spots this season, but he's a rare talent when it comes to strength, athleticism and even upside. He's better than D.J. Fluker was at Alabama, and he's dominating in San Diego.

11. Tennessee Titans—DE Kony Ealy, Missouri

The Tennessee Titans face an offseason that will define this franchise. We could see a coaching change, but for now, the focus is on the holes this roster faces.

They hoped Kamerion Wimbley would be a premier pass-rusher, but he's disappointed in that role. Adding Missouri's Kony Ealy—another long-limbed, strong pass-rusher—would give the defense the complement to Jurrell Casey it needs on the outside.

12. New York Giants—OT Greg Robinson, Auburn

The struggles Eli Manning has faced this season are well-documented but not entirely his fault. The Giants must address his blindside protection and admit that Will Beatty isn't suited for the job. Greg Robinson is just a redshirt sophomore at Auburn, but he's dominant at the point of attack and has the smooth slide to mirror and defend the edge as a pass-protector.

13. St. Louis Rams—WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

The St. Louis Rams have a ton of speed with Tavon Austin and Chris Givens, but they lack a big body that can post up in the red zone. Tight end Jared Cook was supposed to be that guy, but the Rams could still add a physical receiver with their second first-round pick.

Mike Evans has been Johnny Manziel's go-to guy in the end zone while proving he can't be outjumped or outmuscled for the football. He would instantly add credibility to the Rams offense inside the 20.

14. New York Jets—WR Marqise Lee, USC

The New York Jets lack a lot of things, but chief among them is a go-to wide receiver for Geno Smith to work with. Smith doesn't need a speedy deep threat but, instead, can wish for a smart route-runner who can get open in space.

That's Marqise Lee but with the added ability of making plays after the catch. The USC receiver has been banged up this year, but don't sleep on his ability and production. He's the real deal.

15. San Diego Chargers—CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

The Chargers are playing well despite holes on both sides of the ball. You might expect to see an offensive lineman here, but that's not how Tom Telesco and Mike McCoy work. The smart move would be landing a future No. 1 at cornerback, and that's where Justin Gilbert projects. A big cornerback with smooth feet, Gilbert can be a lockdown man-coverage cornerback and has the ball skills to create turnovers on an island.

16. Green Bay Packers—FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama

The Green Bay defense needs so much help that Ted Thompson can sit in the war room and draft the best available player on that side of the ball. He could but shouldn't. The Packers need to home in on weaknesses and fill glaring holes first while still going for value.

That makes the pick of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix a no-brainer. The Alabama safety has range to attack the ball in the air, but he'll also step into the box and hit. He's not Earl Thomas, but he's close.

17. Chicago Bears—LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama

On draft night, C.J. Mosley shouldn't last this long, but without trades and before free agency, this is where he falls. The Chicago Bears would gladly end his wait. Mosley can play either inside or outside linebacker, excels against the run and has the hips to play in coverage.

Imagine Lavonte David with 10 more pounds on his frame and you have Mosley. The Bears would love building out a linebacker corps with Mosley, Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene for the next decade.

18. Detroit Lions—CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State

It's time to fix the secondary in Detroit and not with second- and third round picks. The Lions need a player ready for the NFL, and they won't have to look far to find him.

Darqueze Dennard excels in the aggressive Michigan State defense, and he's proven that he brings the speed and technique to defend in man coverage against both speed and size at receiver. If he's on the board, the Lions would be fools to pass.

19. Baltimore Ravens—TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

The Baltimore offense has looked very different this year when Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson aren't in the lineup. With both players set to hit free agency and the Ravens becoming more frugal, drafting a younger and more versatile player makes sense.

Jace Amaro fills the role of a flex tight end you can move around pre-snap, and he's fast enough to make the plays after the catch that the Ravens offense so badly needs from a tight end.

20. Miami Dolphins—OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa

The Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito scandal brought national attention to the fact that the Miami offensive line simply isn't very good—and wasn't even with the two players in the lineup. General manager Jeff Ireland must invest in a true left tackle, and there are few places better to find one than the University of Iowa.

Brandon Scherff hasn't declared for the draft yet, but when he does, watch out. He's a quicker, meaner upgrade over Bryan Bulaga and Riley Reiff, and he's NFL-ready from a technique standpoint.

21. Dallas Cowboys—DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame

The Dallas defense handled the transition to a 4-3 set well early in the year, but as time has gone on, it's becoming clear they need help inside. Louis Nix should be all healed from meniscus surgery in time to wow Jerry Jones at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Nix, whose already drawn comparisons to Dontari Poe, is a mammoth man in the middle with solid quickness in traffic. He can be a three-down disruptor from the nose.

22. Philadelphia Eagles—CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

It will be easy to project Oregon players to Chip Kelly's Eagles, but in this case, it actually works well for all involved. The Eagles need help at cornerback, and Ekpre-Olomu has the athletic ability teams covet in the first round. It's an added bonus that he's familiar with Kelly's systems. Regardless of where Ekpre-Olomu played in college, he's a value pick at No. 22 overall.

23. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis)—WR Odell Beckham, LSU

The Browns grabbed their quarterback at the top of the round, but now they must finish filling out the offense by adding a threat at receiver. The team has a future star in Josh Gordon, but he's one slip-up away from a season-long suspension, and Greg Little continues to disappoint on the other side of the formation.

Odell Beckham isn't the biggest guy, but he plays tough over the middle and has a second gear to run away from defenders after the catch. He's an ideal complement for the bigger, stronger Gordon.

24. Arizona Cardinals—OT Cameron Erving, FSU

The Arizona offense is playing well without a great left tackle, but that won't last for long. To get over the Seahawks and 49ers in the division, the quarterback must be protected better.

Cameron Erving has been overshadowed by Jake Matthews and others, but he's a top-notch athlete at left tackle and excels in both pass protection and run blocking. He could stand to be a little meaner, but his footwork will blow teams away.

25. Cincinnati Bengals—CB E.J. Gaines, Missouri

Injuries to Leon Hall and Dre Kirkpatrick's failure to develop have left the Cincinnati Bengals thin at cornerback this year. And with the aging Adam Jones and Terence Newman in starting roles, the need for a young starter is imminent.

E.J. Gaines locked down Mike Evans when Mizzou took down Texas A&M and put himself on the map. He has enough size combined with his technique to be a rookie starter on the outside.

26. San Francisco 49ers—WR Jarvis Landry, LSU

The 49ers have two big areas of need moving forward—wide receiver and cornerback. The need at cornerback isn't as great as it was thought to be, though, now that Trumaine Brock is signed long-term. At receiver, the team needs to get young in preparation for losing Anquan Boldin and as an upgrade over Mario Manningham.

Jarvis Landry isn't big, but he's super-quick and has the after-the-catch ability to kill defenses. In a scheme dominated by crossing routes, he'd be a perfect fit.

27. Carolina Panthers—CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State

The Panthers are on their way up, but to overtake Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, they need help at cornerback. Bradley Roby has struggled some in his final season—notably against Wisconsin and Michigan State—but his size, speed and ball skills are hard to find. If a team can coach out his nature to gamble in man coverage—and Ron Rivera's staff can—he'll be a steal at pick No. 27.

28. New Orleans Saints—OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State

Rob Ryan has done an amazing job with the New Orleans defense when you consider the talent on the roster. The biggest area of need moving forward is for a pass-rusher, and Ohio State's Ryan Shazier has a first step that few can challenge.

He's not the biggest linebacker in the class, but with his quickness and tenacity, the Saints can find a way to use him as a three-down pass-rusher and all-around menace to the offense.

29. Kansas City Chiefs—WR Allen Robinson, Penn State

Wide receivers are needed en mass in Kansas City. With Dwayne Bowe the only threat at the position, the Chiefs can expect to spend draft picks here early and often. The key at the end of Round 1 is finding a player who can contribute. Allen Robinson of Penn State has the size to beat defenders for the ball but is quick enough to fit the Andy Reid wide-receiver profile.

30. New England Patriots—TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina

Continued injuries to Rob Gronkowski may be flukes, but they also point to how little the Patriots can trust in him to be a factor week-after-week. The loss of Aaron Hernandez only serves to further highlight how badly Tom Brady misses his safety valves in the passing game. With Gronkowski injured and Hernandez incarcerated, the Patriots need an infusion of talent.

Eric Ebron isn't the best blocking tight end you'll ever see, but he's incredibly fast and smooth in the open field. That's exactly what Brady needs, especially in the red zone.

31. Seattle Seahawks—DE Vic Beasley, Clemson

The Seattle front office has shown over the past several drafts that they value pass-rushers over all others. And with that philosophy working so far, it's unlikely they'll go away from it.

The team could look at cornerback, offensive lineman or even a wide receiver, but the value of Vic Beasley is too tempting. And he's a need with Michael Bennett schedule to hit free agency. A cornerback would be a smart play here with Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond hitting the market, but the value simply isn't good.

32. Denver Broncos—DT Michael Bennett, Ohio State

The Denver Broncos have so many strengths, and even their weaknesses get covered up by Peyton Manning's offense. But as Manning ages, the Broncos must find a way to still be a dominant team, and their best chance of that is in the defensive front seven.

Adding a pass-rusher who can split blocks, chase down quarterbacks and frustrate linemen would help in that future. Ohio State's Michael Bennett has the quickness, strength and hand-use to become an impact defender in the AFC West as the Broncos look at the present and to the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy Jax,Minny,Cleve and Oakland drafting those QBs just doesnt look great to me.

maybe teddy is the real deal but Im not convinced on any of them other dudes

I agree on reaching for QBs.

2015 NFL draft looking like it 'could' be deep at QB position so if I don't have to reach this year and if their is a clear-cut BPA then I go with the better prospect this year.

Without putting a ton of effort into things. I can see the top-ten going something like so:

1. Houston Texans—

QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)—

OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

3. Atlanta Falcons—

DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

4. Minnesota Vikings—

QB Derek Carr, Fresno State

5. Jacksonville Jaguars—

QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

6. Cleveland Browns—

WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson

7. Oakland Raiders—

OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA

8. Buffalo Bills—

DE/LB Khalil Mack, Buffalo

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers—

OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

10. Pittsburgh Steelers—

WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

I firmly believe that Pittsburgh will not draft an offensive player in the first 3 rounds. Their need for multiple playmakers Defensive Backs and Defensive lineman borders on absolutely desperate.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing on any specific players right now so the Browns could take anyone including 'Kujo' but the thought of WR Josh Gordon and TE Jordan Cameron with WR Sammy Wadkins doesn't seem too bad to me, so... :shrug:

Per Steelers. I honestly don't know what to think of the downshift in overall talent that they are dealing with but they took OLB pass rusher Jarvis Jones to load the chamber after losing James Harrison and traded-up for SS Shamarko Thomas behind faltering Troy-P. The defensive linemen that they drafted high are starting to come around so their are some young prospects being developed defensively.

On offense I don't think the line is as bad as many believe but I don't see talent outside of Antonio Brown at WR. I am not a believer in Emmanuel Sanders and Jericho Cotchery is limited so if a WR is staring them in the face I could see them taking one to pair with AB.

Latest mock by Matt Miller.

Add others that have been updated and your own top-ten if you have one.

Can't say I agree with this latest effort so I'm sure others have different versions to share.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1881333-2014-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-latest-first-round-projections

1. Houston Texans—DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

The Houston Texans may be tempted to draft a quarterback here, but there's also strong reasons to not gamble on a quarterback if you aren't completely sold on him.

General manager Rick Smith and whomever his new head coach will be have a difficult decision to make. Draft a quarterback or pair Jadeveon Clowney with J.J. Watt? Better to build a dominant defense if there is any doubt about the top quarterbacks or if they think they can land Jay Cutler in free agency.
IMO, this is practically a no-brainer unless his contract demands are unreasonable yet met by another team. If you're a QB away from winning, and frankly I think Houston might be, take the veteran QB and draft the most talented player.

On offense I don't think the line is as bad as many believe but I don't see talent outside of Antonio Brown at WR. I am not a believer in Emmanuel Sanders and Jericho Cotchery is limited so if a WR is staring them in the face I could see them taking one to pair with AB.
I like Sanders, but as a #3.

He's got speed and athleticism but I'm not a believer because he got injured too often his first couple of seasons and this year after starting out impressively, he seems to have faded.

I thought his build was slight coming into the league and that was behing the earlier injures and that the early impressive games he had this year meant tht he must have built up his frame but he's not really tearing it up.

I think you are right, PIT WR Emmanuel Sanders might be a great third WR but that would mean that the Steelers need that #2 WR to pair with Antonio Brown.

EDIT: Didn't see that blurb about the Texans making a play for QB Jay Cutler is/when he becomes a FA.

Definitely agree with you that if that goes down that they would go DE Clowney but right now, today I gotta go Bridgewater.

EDIT: Didn't see that blurb about the Texans making a play for QB Jay Cutler is/when he becomes a FA.

Definitely agree with you that if that goes down that they would go DE Clowney but right now, today I gotta go Bridgewater.
Andre Johnson at 33 would have his greatest season ever.

I have to think the Bears would rather take Nix than Mosley. The DL is the worst in the league. As long as the top 3 picks are on D, I'm happy. Unless RD3 is some safety that was off the radar.

He's got speed and athleticism but I'm not a believer because he got injured too often his first couple of seasons and this year after starting out impressively, he seems to have faded.

I thought his build was slight coming into the league and that was behing the earlier injures and that the early impressive games he had this year meant tht he must have built up his frame but he's not really tearing it up.

I think you are right, PIT WR Emmanuel Sanders might be a great third WR but that would mean that the Steelers need that #2 WR to pair with Antonio Brown.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing on any specific players right now so the Browns could take anyone including 'Kujo' but the thought of WR Josh Gordon and TE Jordan Cameron with WR Sammy Wadkins doesn't seem too bad to me, so... :shrug:

Per Steelers. I honestly don't know what to think of the downshift in overall talent that they are dealing with but they took OLB pass rusher Jarvis Jones to load the chamber after losing James Harrison and traded-up for SS Shamarko Thomas behind faltering Troy-P. The defensive linemen that they drafted high are starting to come around so their are some young prospects being developed defensively.

Cameron Heyward is performing very well, but aside from him the entire D-Line is below average. Hood has not been playing well and is a contract year, McClendon and Woods have been overmatched at NT and Keisel (while effective) is oft-injured and is on the wrong side of 30. The entire d-line needs an infusion of talent

Alot of the major problems the team is experiencing is on defense: lack of pressure to get to the QB, not being able to stop the run and giving up big plays. They are keeping Troy in the box more to try and assuage the run d, which in turn is allowing alot more big plays than I, as a Steeler fan, am used to seeing. That, coupled with Ike, Clark, Keisel, Hood, Worlids either being nearor at FA, with Troy and other high priced veterans on D being a possible cap casualty, and you can see the situation at DB and DL being absolutely dire and infusion of young talent a necessity. I think other than Heyward, Timmons and Woodley, every single defensive position otherwise is up for grabs.

The team has other options at WR2-4 other than Sanders (Markus Wheaton, Jerricho Cotchery, Derek Moye, Justin Brown) that I dont think they will burn a high 1st on a "luxury" pick of a WR. This is a team that does NOT like to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd rd's (see Sweed, Limas), and would rather wait til later to pick WR's. GM Colbert currently prefers quicker, undersized BUT productive WR's late in the draft, and their track record shows they are successful in developing these guys into capable starters (Antonio Brown - 6th rd, Markus Wheaton - 3rd, Emmanuel Sanders - 3rd, Hines Ward - 3rd). Do I think they will take a WR in the upcoming draft? Absolutely, but not until 4th rd or later in my opinion.

Steelers I think are going to give Adams another chance to get his LT job back. He is a young, talented 2nd rd guy who is in his 1st yr of starting. He got beat up in his first few games and was benched, but has excelled since the benching and is going to get a long look at LT the next few games (they know what Beachum can do). LG is a problem though, Foster has been underperforming at best. RG DeCastro is playing solid football. Gilbert is OK, maybe a bit below avg.

Going back to the draft, I firmly believe they will take BPA approach rounds 1-3 on Defense; I would prefer a massive, run stopping NT or shut-down CB. Clear exception to this would be maybe taking an left offensive guard in the 2nd or 3rd rd to take Foster's spot and move him back to a backup role.

Cameron Heyward is performing very well, but aside from him the entire D-Line is below average. Hood has not been playing well and is a contract year, McClendon and Woods have been overmatched at NT and Keisel (while effective) is oft-injured and is on the wrong side of 30. The entire d-line needs an infusion of talent

Alot of the major problems the team is experiencing is on defense: lack of pressure to get to the QB, not being able to stop the run and giving up big plays. They are keeping Troy in the box more to try and assuage the run d, which in turn is allowing alot more big plays than I, as a Steeler fan, am used to seeing. That, coupled with Ike, Clark, Keisel, Hood, Worlids either being nearor at FA, with Troy and other high priced veterans on D being a possible cap casualty, and you can see the situation at DB and DL being absolutely dire and infusion of young talent a necessity. I think other than Heyward, Timmons and Woodley, every single defensive position otherwise is up for grabs.

The team has other options at WR2-4 other than Sanders (Markus Wheaton, Jerricho Cotchery, Derek Moye, Justin Brown) that I dont think they will burn a high 1st on a "luxury" pick of a WR. This is a team that does NOT like to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd rd's (see Sweed, Limas), and would rather wait til later to pick WR's. GM Colbert currently prefers quicker, undersized BUT productive WR's late in the draft, and their track record shows they are successful in developing these guys into capable starters (Antonio Brown - 6th rd, Markus Wheaton - 3rd, Emmanuel Sanders - 3rd, Hines Ward - 3rd). Do I think they will take a WR in the upcoming draft? Absolutely, but not until 4th rd or later in my opinion.

Steelers I think are going to give Adams another chance to get his LT job back. He is a young, talented 2nd rd guy who is in his 1st yr of starting. He got beat up in his first few games and was benched, but has excelled since the benching and is going to get a long look at LT the next few games (they know what Beachum can do). LG is a problem though, Foster has been underperforming at best. RG DeCastro is playing solid football. Gilbert is OK, maybe a bit below avg.

Going back to the draft, I firmly believe they will take BPA approach rounds 1-3 on Defense; I would prefer a massive, run stopping NT or shut-down CB. Clear exception to this would be maybe taking an left offensive guard in the 2nd or 3rd rd to take Foster's spot and move him back to a backup role.
The Steelers 3-4 D-Line isn't what it used to be but Iron Head's kid is starting to come into his own and Keisel can still play even though he is up there. Ziggy had to follow Aarron Smith who was named to the all-decade team of the 2000s and was one of the best 3-4 DE's to every play so he had a hard act to follow. I don't think he's bad but I'm sure anyone would be a disappointment after Aarron Smith who played average like Hood.

The problem I see on the Pittsburgh D-Line is McClendon as a starting NT. I wouldn't burn a top-ten or even top-twelve pick on a NT unless it was Vince Wilfork the 2nd and I'm not sure a player like that is available in this draft. Also using a top-ten/twelve pick on a 3-4 DE is tough unless its JJ Watt or Richard Seymour and once again, I'm not sure their is anyone like that in this draft. Maybe Louis Nix projects as a NT, I dunno.

Pass rusher, yup. No shot at Barr but possibly Khalil Mack.

Only other defensive players I could see going to Pittsburgh are S Ha-Ha Clinto Dix or LB CJ Mosely but I'm not sure if they rate top-ten selections.

So I went with a need at WR but they could go O-Line as most mocks project.

Anyone who knows their team like you can reasonably argue any side of prioritizing needs for their team and the Steelers have a lot of holes in the dike so they could go any number of directions. I was trying to go BPA matching the best player available with perceived need.

I agree with everything you said but couldn't find players that rated the pick, so I went WR.

15. San Diego Chargers—CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

The Chargers are playing well despite holes on both sides of the ball. You might expect to see an offensive lineman here, but that's not how Tom Telesco and Mike McCoy work. The smart move would be landing a future No. 1 at cornerback, and that's where Justin Gilbert projects. A big cornerback with smooth feet, Gilbert can be a lockdown man-coverage cornerback and has the ball skills to create turnovers on an island.
I'll be very, very disappointed if SD drafts a CB in the middle of round 1 given the quantity and quality of CB's in this draft. Ideally, they trade down and add more picks and I'd be ok with them drafting a CB at the back half of round 1.

If they stay at #15 and a LT like Lewan is on the board they have to draft him. Telesco/McCoy took an OL'man with a mean streak which many called a "reach" last year in the first round so I'd say this analysis is pretty far off.

Sports Illustrated did a top-ten mock that looks acceptable.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/08/nfl-mock-draft-2014-week-14-teddy-bridgewater/?sct=obnetwork

Posted December 08, 2013
Top-10 Mock Draft: Projections for 10 worst teams after Week 14Houston Texans, NFL Draft, NFL draft 2014

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

The Texans are starting to pull away in the race for No. 1 overall — they have 11 losses, Atlanta and Washington have 10, and no other team has more than nine. The new coach here will get a shot to draft his go-to quarterback right away, even if having Jadeveon Clowney or Anthony Barr is a tempting proposition. Bridgewater remains at the head of the QB class.

2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

There definitely is an argument to be made here for a quarterback. Sam Bradford is coming off a major knee injury and is owed a ton of money over the next two seasons. If the Rams do not go that route, there are ample alternatives available — OT or WR, for starters. But getting another sensational DE to add to Chris Long and Robert Quinn would set St. Louis up to be dominant on defense for years.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Clowney probably would be the pick here if he makes it to Atlanta’s spot. So, Anthony Barr ought to be under consideration as well. But Barr doesn’t seem like as much of a fit for Atlanta’s D as Clowney … and Matthews is plenty acceptable as a backup plan. This may not be the sexiest pick, but the Falcons are in rough shape on the offensive line.

4. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Carrying this pick over from Mock 3.1. The Vikings are almost certain to look QB at some point in the draft. Having a player like Barr still on the board at this point would make it tough to pull the trigger on Carr, but the Fresno State product likely could slide in as the starter from Day 1.

5. Oakland Raiders: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

The Raiders could fit Barr in somewhere if they had to; a player as talented as him can dictate complete changes in scheme and approach. The need for a dynamic receiver is so high here, though, that it really would be hard for Oakland to pass on either Evans or Sammy Watkins. I had Watkins ahead of Evans in Mock 3.1 (the former to Tampa Bay, the latter to the Jets). Here, I’m flip-flopping that order, especially if the Raiders have any plans to use the ad-libbing Terrelle Pryor in the future — Evans has done some of his best work at A&M freeing himself while Johnny Manziel scrambles.

Also, I had Johnny Manziel mocked to the Raiders last week at No. 8 overall. That’s a move that I’d consider very much possible even in the top five, but each additional decent Matt McGloin outing makes it less likely in my mind.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

Merry Christmas. The Jaguars miss out on the top two quarterbacks — a disappointing outcome given their need there — but they land instead a player that might be this draft’s best when all is said and done. Barr’s athletic, multi-dimensional abilities off the edge would fit nicely in Gus Bradley’s system.

7. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Another spot where Manziel (or Brett Hundley) could land. Watkins has been a sensational deep threat throughout his time at Clemson, which should make him very appealing for Cleveland’s vertical passing attack. Plus, current No. 1 WR Josh Gordon is but one slip-up away from being suspended for an entire season. Cleveland cannot gamble on him without some semblance of a Plan B.

8. Buffalo Bills: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

Another copycat pick out of Mock 3.1, though the Bills are a spot higher now than they were in that endeavor. Mack has the potential to soar in a defense like the one Mike Pettine wants to play, even more so with Kiko Alonso next to him in the linebacking corps.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

A major adjustment for the Buccaneers, whom I had selecting Sammy Watkins at No. 5 overall when last we spoke of such things. Four spots lower, the focus is the same: A field-stretching weapon to pair with Vincent Jackson as QB Mike Glennon develops. Ebron may not add a ton as a blocker in the run game, but he can work up the seams and out of the slot, expanding the Bucs’ capabilities on offense,

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

There are two ways the Steelers could go, as it stands here: Taylor Lewan to bolster an offensive line that basically fell apart in 2013. Or Nix, perhaps the type of piece missing from a D-line that’s often overmatched. There will be potential offensive line starters later in the draft, but I’m not sure that’s the case up front at the 3-4 DT spot. Nabbing Nix here would help the Steelers rebuild in the trenches (as well as possibly give them more flexibility in how they utilize Steve McLendon).
Other thoughts on Cutler, he could wind up on any of the teams needing a quarterback. Houston, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Oakland, Cleveland, Tennessee, NY Jets, or even Arizona. Cutler is a wild card who could have an impact on the draft.

The Steelers 3-4 D-Line isn't what it used to be but Iron Head's kid is starting to come into his own and Keisel can still play even though he is up there. Ziggy had to follow Aarron Smith who was named to the all-decade team of the 2000s and was one of the best 3-4 DE's to every play so he had a hard act to follow. I don't think he's bad but I'm sure anyone would be a disappointment after Aarron Smith who played average like Hood.

The problem I see on the Pittsburgh D-Line is McClendon as a starting NT. I wouldn't burn a top-ten or even top-twelve pick on a NT unless it was Vince Wilfork the 2nd and I'm not sure a player like that is available in this draft. Also using a top-ten/twelve pick on a 3-4 DE is tough unless its JJ Watt or Richard Seymour and once again, I'm not sure their is anyone like that in this draft. Maybe Louis Nix projects as a NT, I dunno.

Pass rusher, yup. No shot at Barr but possibly Khalil Mack.

Only other defensive players I could see going to Pittsburgh are S Ha-Ha Clinto Dix or LB CJ Mosely but I'm not sure if they rate top-ten selections.

So I went with a need at WR but they could go O-Line as most mocks project.

Anyone who knows their team like you can reasonably argue any side of prioritizing needs for their team and the Steelers have a lot of holes in the dike so they could go any number of directions. I was trying to go BPA matching the best player available with perceived need.

I agree with everything you said but couldn't find players that rated the pick, so I went WR.
I see what you're saying Bracie -- I'm just saying based on Steelers draft history, a 1st rd WR is unlikely, especially with so many needs on the defensive side of the ball, particularly on the DL (NT specifically) and in the Secondary.

On just the defensive line alone Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood and Al Woods are FA's after the season. After the way Hood has underperformed (he has been very below average, not average), and with Keisel getting up there in age, the Steelers must reinvest in the trenches yet again. That leaves Cameron Heyward as your sole DE and McClendon at NT (who's probably better suited as a situational DL after seeing him in a full season). That is frightening, I see them taking a long look at NT prospect Louis Nix III. They havent taken a NT in the 1st since Casey Hampton, and I dont think its a surprise that the defense has stalled since Hampton went into decline/left via FA.

In the secondary, its a mess: Ryan Clark and Will Allen are FA's (Clark will not be brought back, Steelers would like Allen back I think), CB Ike Taylor and S Troy Polamalu are likely cap casualties, which leaves practically 0 depth at the S and CB positions (Shamarko at S, C. Allen and Gay as starting CB). C. Allen has underperformed in his 1st yr as a full time starter, like you mentioned above I would like them to look at Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Best Available CB. Clinton-Dix and Shamarko would be a nice combo in the secondary.

LB is not a huge need, although I think they may end up putting a tag of some sort on Worlids to prevent him from leaving, he has had a coming out party for much of the season filling in for Woodley. They'll likely take a ILB later in the draft. Also I do not see them taking an OL in the 1st rd; just way too many needs on D. They could take a top G or best available T in the 3rd rd or later though.

Other thoughts on Cutler, he could wind up on any of the teams needing a quarterback. Houston, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Oakland, Cleveland, Tennessee, NY Jets, or even Arizona. Cutler is a wild card who could have an impact on the draft.
I don't like it, but have to admit that Tennessee will have interest. Obvious ties to Nashville, and it would bring the Titans full circle from VY.

IIRC, Fisher wanted Cutler. It would be interesting to see if St. Louis makes a play. I don't expect them to, as I still see Bradford as a viable starter, but you never know.

I think Cutler goes to a team that is truly a QB away from competing, the teams you mention are all possible except the Jets. IMO they just won't give up on Geno yet.

Sports Illustrated did a top-ten mock that looks acceptable.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/08/nfl-mock-draft-2014-week-14-teddy-bridgewater/?sct=obnetwork

Posted December 08, 2013
Top-10 Mock Draft: Projections for 10 worst teams after Week 14Houston Texans, NFL Draft, NFL draft 2014

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

The Texans are starting to pull away in the race for No. 1 overall — they have 11 losses, Atlanta and Washington have 10, and no other team has more than nine. The new coach here will get a shot to draft his go-to quarterback right away, even if having Jadeveon Clowney or Anthony Barr is a tempting proposition. Bridgewater remains at the head of the QB class.

2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

There definitely is an argument to be made here for a quarterback. Sam Bradford is coming off a major knee injury and is owed a ton of money over the next two seasons. If the Rams do not go that route, there are ample alternatives available — OT or WR, for starters. But getting another sensational DE to add to Chris Long and Robert Quinn would set St. Louis up to be dominant on defense for years.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Clowney probably would be the pick here if he makes it to Atlanta’s spot. So, Anthony Barr ought to be under consideration as well. But Barr doesn’t seem like as much of a fit for Atlanta’s D as Clowney … and Matthews is plenty acceptable as a backup plan. This may not be the sexiest pick, but the Falcons are in rough shape on the offensive line.

4. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Carrying this pick over from Mock 3.1. The Vikings are almost certain to look QB at some point in the draft. Having a player like Barr still on the board at this point would make it tough to pull the trigger on Carr, but the Fresno State product likely could slide in as the starter from Day 1.

5. Oakland Raiders: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

The Raiders could fit Barr in somewhere if they had to; a player as talented as him can dictate complete changes in scheme and approach. The need for a dynamic receiver is so high here, though, that it really would be hard for Oakland to pass on either Evans or Sammy Watkins. I had Watkins ahead of Evans in Mock 3.1 (the former to Tampa Bay, the latter to the Jets). Here, I’m flip-flopping that order, especially if the Raiders have any plans to use the ad-libbing Terrelle Pryor in the future — Evans has done some of his best work at A&M freeing himself while Johnny Manziel scrambles.

Also, I had Johnny Manziel mocked to the Raiders last week at No. 8 overall. That’s a move that I’d consider very much possible even in the top five, but each additional decent Matt McGloin outing makes it less likely in my mind.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

Merry Christmas. The Jaguars miss out on the top two quarterbacks — a disappointing outcome given their need there — but they land instead a player that might be this draft’s best when all is said and done. Barr’s athletic, multi-dimensional abilities off the edge would fit nicely in Gus Bradley’s system.

7. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Another spot where Manziel (or Brett Hundley) could land. Watkins has been a sensational deep threat throughout his time at Clemson, which should make him very appealing for Cleveland’s vertical passing attack. Plus, current No. 1 WR Josh Gordon is but one slip-up away from being suspended for an entire season. Cleveland cannot gamble on him without some semblance of a Plan B.

8. Buffalo Bills: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

Another copycat pick out of Mock 3.1, though the Bills are a spot higher now than they were in that endeavor. Mack has the potential to soar in a defense like the one Mike Pettine wants to play, even more so with Kiko Alonso next to him in the linebacking corps.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

A major adjustment for the Buccaneers, whom I had selecting Sammy Watkins at No. 5 overall when last we spoke of such things. Four spots lower, the focus is the same: A field-stretching weapon to pair with Vincent Jackson as QB Mike Glennon develops. Ebron may not add a ton as a blocker in the run game, but he can work up the seams and out of the slot, expanding the Bucs’ capabilities on offense,

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

There are two ways the Steelers could go, as it stands here: Taylor Lewan to bolster an offensive line that basically fell apart in 2013. Or Nix, perhaps the type of piece missing from a D-line that’s often overmatched. There will be potential offensive line starters later in the draft, but I’m not sure that’s the case up front at the 3-4 DT spot. Nabbing Nix here would help the Steelers rebuild in the trenches (as well as possibly give them more flexibility in how they utilize Steve McLendon).
No way the Raiders take a WR in the 1st.

steelers need to load up on defensive playmakers and wouldnt be against trading down and picking up some picks in 2 or 3. since we lost our 3rd rounder to the browns.. and could lose more picks cause of tomlingate

steelers need to load up on defensive playmakers and wouldnt be against trading down and picking up some picks in 2 or 3. since we lost our 3rd rounder to the browns.. and could lose more picks cause of tomlingate
I heard they will lose a late pick and they are waiting till the end of the season to determine which pick but I heard it will be a late pick.

They will be getting a compensentory selection for losing Wallace, likely a third, so that helps to recuperate the loss of the 3rd they traded to the Browns, I don't know what low-round pick they'll lose for Tomlingate but they aren't in bad shape with picks for the draft so I don't think it is a good idea to trade-down unless you get a Don Corleone offer or a team has a clear targeted player that they know will be available later.

Bracie Smathers said:
ebsteelers said:
I heard they will lose a late pick and they are waiting till the end of the season to determine which pick but I heard it will be a late pick.

They will be getting a compensentory selection for losing Wallace, likely a third, so that helps to recuperate the loss of the 3rd they traded to the Browns, I don't know what low-round pick they'll lose for Tomlingate but they aren't in bad shape with picks for the draft so I don't think it is a good idea to trade-down unless you get a Don Corleone offer or a team has a clear targeted player that they know will be available later.
i see both sides.

this draft seems to be fairly stocked with talent.

like you said if a team has a clear qb in mind i think it could be worth moving down.

i am not sure if the steelers are just one player a way though.. im torn, i sure would love evans or watkins, a healthy bell and the offense is instantly more explosive... but there is lots of holes on defense that need player makers. and if they could some how move down, acquire a top notch cb, more picks maybe get dix in round 2 or a big dt.

Updated USA Today mock

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/10/early-mock-draft-15-brett-hundley-blake-bortles/

Now, on to this week’s mock draft…

1. Texans
Teddy Bridgewater, QB Louisville

2. Rams (via WASH)
Anthony Barr, LB UCLA

3. Falcons
Jadeveon Clowney, DE South Carolina

4. Vikings
Derek Carr, QB Fresno State

5. Raiders
Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M

6. Jaguars
Brett Hundley, QB UCLA

7. Browns
Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson

8. Bills
Khalil Mack, LB Buffalo

9. Buccaneers
Greg Robinson, OT Auburn

10. Steelers
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB Oregon

11. Titans
Eric Ebron, TE North Carolina

12. Rams
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT Alabama

13. Giants
Justin Gilbert, CB Oklahoma State

14. Jets
Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M

15. Chargers
Darqueze Dennard, CB Michigan State

16. Packers
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S Alabama

17. Ravens
Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan

18. Bears
Blake Bortles, QB UCF

19. Lions
Jason Verrett, CB TCU

20. Cowboys
Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota

21. Dolphins
Cameron Erving, OT Florida State

22. Eagles
Marqise Lee, WR USC

23. Cardinals
Trent Murphy, LB Stanford

24. Browns (via IND)
C.J. Mosley, LB Alabama

25. Bengals
Bradley Roby, CB Ohio State

26. Panthers
Davante Adams, WR Fresno State

27. 49ers

Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame

28. Chiefs
Kony Ealy, DE Missouri

29. Patriots
Jace Amaro, TE Texas Tech

30. Saints
Shilique Calhoun, DE Michigan State

31. Seahawks
DaQuan Jones, DT Penn State

32. Broncos
Vic Beasley, DE Clemson

*Draft order was determined by current record and strength of schedule.

Who is Blake Bortles? The quarterback du jour is an underclassman at UCF. Bortles could easily jump into the middle of the first round.

But Bortles, like Hundley, has a decision to make.

The junior is rising up draft boards. Bortles has prototypical size at 6-4 and 230 pounds. He also is very mobile. More importantly, Bortles keeps his eyes down field when he starts to run. He’s thrown for 3,280 yards and 22 touchdowns with a 68.1 completion percentage. He even led UCF to its first BCS bowl bid and nearly defeated South Carolina earlier in the season.

Bortles may not have elite traits at the position, but he certainly has the tools to win at the next level.

In this week’s mock, the Bears leap at a chance to draft Bortles. The franchise still has a decision to make on starting QB Jay Cutler, who is a free agent after the season. The team has played well with backup Josh McCown starting. The Bears could move forward with McCown as the starter and Bortles developing behind him. Chicago would save plenty of money by not signing Cutler and use it to address other areas of the roster.

Bracie Smathers said:
ebsteelers said:

i see both sides.

this draft seems to be fairly stocked with talent.

like you said if a team has a clear qb in mind i think it could be worth moving down.

i am not sure if the steelers are just one player a way though.. im torn, i sure would love evans or watkins, a healthy bell and the offense is instantly more explosive... but there is lots of holes on defense that need player makers. and if they could some how move down, acquire a top notch cb, more picks maybe get dix in round 2 or a big dt.
Agree completely.

I'd love the Steelers to grab a Demariyius/Brandon Marshall type, but the ENTIRE defense needs work.

2. Rams (via WASH)

Anthony Barr, LB UCLA
I'm starting to get on board with this, but which would sit on in the nickel package? They already have two very good young LBs, a 3rd seems a luxury - but Barr provides a skill the others don't have. Still think I'd rather see St. Louis trade down, but I think I'd take Barr over Clowney today.

The USA Today weekly mock.

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/17/early-mock-draft-16-blake-bortles/

Early mock draft: Week 16 Blake Bortles’ draft stock continues to skyrocketBy Brent Sobleski

The perfect storm is brewing for UCF’s junior quarterback, Blake Bortles

Quarterbacks inevitably rise as the draft process ensues. Underclassmen also get a late bump once they declare and teams thoroughly scout them. And a few underclassmen decide to return to school for another year despite the potential of being selected high in the draft.

Bortles is the fastest rising prospect in the nation. A few weeks ago, he wasn’t considered a first round prospect mainly because no one was exactly sure if he would declare early or not. Then, Oregon’s Marcus Mariota decided to return for his redshirt junior campaign, and the race for top quarterback was flung wide open.

Bortles could potentially fill the void and, surprisingly, be the first quarterback selected in May’s draft according to SI.com’s Peter King.

“I’ve spoken to a team that’s likely to have a top 10 pick, and
they like him better than any quarterback in this draft
.”
As we noted last week, there is plenty to like about Bortles. He isn’t the top quarterback selected in this week’s mock draft, but he has the potential to move past Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater depending on a team’s preferences.

Bortles has yet to declare for the 2014 NFL draft, but he has an opportunity in front of him to take full advantage of his current popularity within NFL circles.

Now on to this week’s mock draft…

1. Texans

2. Rams (via WASH)
Anthony Barr, LB UCLA

3. Raiders

4. Jaguars
Blake Bortles, QB UCF

5. Falcons

6. Browns

7. Buccaneers
Greg Robinson, OT Auburn

8. Vikings
Brett Hundley, QB UCLA

9. Bills

10. Titans
Khalil Mack, LB Buffalo

11. Giants

12. Steelers

13. Jets
Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M

14. Rams

15. Lions

16. Chargers

17. Cowboys
Kony Ealy, DE Missouri

18. Packers
C.J. Mosley, LB Alabama

19. Ravens

20. Eagles

21. Bears

22. Dolphins
Cameron Irving, OT Florida State

23. Browns (from IND)
Marqise Lee, WR USC

24. Bengals
Jason Verrett, CB TCU

25. Cardinals

26. Patriots

27. Panthers
Brandin Cooks, WR Oregon State

28. 49ers

29. Saints

30. Chiefs

31. Broncos
Vic Beasley, DE Clemson

32. Seahawks
Louis Nix, NT Notre Dame

*Draft order was determined by current record and strength of schedule.

Why did the Oakland Raiders select Clowney over a quarterback? The Raiders remain unsettled at quarterback. Neither Terrelle Pryor nor Matt McGloin appear to be the answer behind center. Yet, the franchise may have to settle for the draft’s second rated quarterback if the Texans select one No. 1 overall.

Whereas Clowney is a potential difference maker on defense and arguably the No. 1 overall talent in the draft class.

Yes, the Raiders need to find a franchise quarterback. The team also needs a massive infusion of talent.

Clowney could pair with Lamarr Houston to form the most dynamic set of defensive ends in the NFL. The Raiders would then have a true identity on defense via the play of an ultra-talented defensive line. This situation only happens by taking the best player available over a much-needed quarterback.

Interesting development.

Marcus Mariota back in the draft pool?

Possibly and this week's mock has him as the top pick.

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/24/early-mock-draft-17-marcus-mariota/

Early mock draft: Week 17 Marcus Mariota reclaims the top spotBy Brent Sobleski

Three weeks ago, Oregon announced QB Marcus Mariota would return to Eugene for his red-shirt junior campaign. Mariota has since reconsidered his options. He’s waiting to hear from the NFL about his potential draft slotting.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreerFollow

Also from the list of 156 players ... Both Marcus Mariota and Brett Hundley have submitted their names to the draft board.

6:14 PM - 19 Dec 2013

Mariota should receive a first-round grade from the advisory committee.

In this week’s mock draft, Mariota is selected No. 1 overall. It’s clearly a situation where Mariota has to consider all of his options, and the announcement was premature.

MORE
:
http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/18/marcus-mariota-nfl-draft-oregon-qb-mock/Does Marcus Mariota want back in the draft
http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/18/marcus-mariota-nfl-draft-oregon-qb-mock/?
The Texans, meanwhile, are without a coach. Their next system has yet to be determined. It’s difficult to project the right fit for the franchise without all of the pertinent information. Yet, Mariota’s upside is as vast as any prospect in this draft class. Thus, it’s easy to select him with the top draft pick.

Now on to this week’s mock draft…

1. Texans
Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon

2. Rams (via WASH)

3. Jaguars

4. Raiders

5. Browns
Blake Bortles, QB UCF

6. Falcons
Anthony Barr, LB UCLA

7. Buccaneers
Greg Robinson, OT Auburn

8. Vikings

9. Bills

10. Titans
Brett Hundley, QB UCLA

11. Giants
Khalil Mack, LB Buffalo

12. Lions

13. Steelers

14. Jets
Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M

15. Rams

16. Packers
C.J. Mosley, LB Alabama

17. Bears

18. Ravens

19. Cowboys
Kony Ealy, DE Missouri

20. Chargers

21. Dolphins

22. Eagles

23. Bengals
Jason Verrett, CB TCU

24. Browns (from IND)
Marqise Lee, WR USC

25. Cardinals
Cameron Irving, OT Florida State

26. Saints

27. Chiefs

28. Patriots

29. 49ers
Brandin Cooks, WR Oregon State

30. Panthers

31. Broncos

32. Seahawks
David Yankey, OG Stanford

runblings that Oregon QB Marcus Mariota could be reconsidering going back to school

He 'could' be available to be taken in the 2014 NFL draft.

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/18/marcus-mariota-nfl-draft-oregon-qb-mock/

NFL Draft Does Marcus Mariota want back into NFL Draft?The news: Marcus Mariota requested his draft grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, per NFLDraftScout.com.

Wait… what? You may feel justified in your confusion. Two weeks ago, Mariota said he was coming back to Oregon for his (redshirt) junior year.

Good for him: The notice he would return to college wasn’t a binding commitment — he would be nuts not to at least hear where he might be drafted.

Curious: Does it really take the “NFL Advisory Committee” to let him know he would not just be a lock first-round pick and not just a lock Top 10 pick, but likely a lock Top 5 pick?

Just take a look at the draft evaluations (mock and otherwise) when we all thought he was coming out — Mariota was the second-highest-rated QB on the board (after Teddy Bridgewater).

What next: Regardless of his prior commitment, Mariota isn’t going back to school until the early-entry deadline passes and he isn’t on the draft list.

And if he has a change of heart and recognizes that being a Top 5 pick in 2014 beats being a Top 5 pick in 2015 — with only a year’s worth of career-altering injury risk in between — more power to him.

UPDATE: The Oregon associate AD in charge of PR tweeted out a rebuttal:

Craig Pintens@UOPintensFollow

Marcus Mariota requested his draft evaluation the day after the Civil War. Decision was made regardless of eval. #GoDucks

4:16 PM - 18 Dec 2013
The point stands: Given his Top 5 potential in the 2014 draft, Mariota has every right to change his mind if he wants to.

Kojo dropping into the 20s? doubt it.

Browns going QB w their first pick? also doubt it.

clowney becomes a real possibility now I assume... Browns probably thought they had no chance at him a few weeks ago... tho I still think they should go ha-ha or kojo... meaning trade down a few spots if you have to

Kojo dropping into the 20s? doubt it.

Browns going QB w their first pick? also doubt it.

clowney becomes a real possibility now I assume... Browns probably thought they had no chance at him a few weeks ago... tho I still think they should go ha-ha or kojo... meaning trade down a few spots if you have to
I have no idea how things will shake out with top names but QB is a definite possibility with the top pick especially if Mariota re-enters the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread