What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vehicle Safety Recall Issue (1 Viewer)

Tom Skerritt

Footballguy
Sorry for the long story...

I was issued a safety recall on my Ford truck in March. It’s an Output Speed Sensor software issue. When it fails, the transmission unintendedly downshifts into 1st gear. 

The recall notice tells me that due to this defect, it can cause an abrupt wheel speed reduction which could cause the rear tires to slide and that this condition could result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. 

It then states that a software repair will be available by 2nd quarter 2019. The safety recall is dated March 2019. The repair is currently not available.

It then goes on to say that they are not issuing instructions to stop driving the vehicle. 

So Ford is essentially saying that it is safe to drive a vehicle that is a crash risk. Is this a correct assessment?

And FTR, the downshift defect has happened several times in the past several months. Thankfully, none has resulted in a crash. But I now deem it unsafe to drive. 

Called Ford to explain the situation. Wanted to speak to a supervisor and got hung up on because I was unwilling to follow their protocol of getting a call-back tomorrow. 

Called again and spoke with a lovely woman who was sympathetic and wanted to help me, but she was unable to do anything. 

So now I’m out a vehicle due to a safety recall that Ford is unable to fix. And Ford is unwilling to take responsibility and offer a solution to their problem. This despite the recall notice explaining their “Commitment to provide me with the highest level of service and support.”

I’m on record, and there is now a case number of my complaint. Waiting on a phone call from a manager that is supposed to come tommorrow. 

Any other suggestions?

When I google it, sounds like software update is available. 

Try a different dealer?

https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/13/ford-recalls-1-5-million-f-150-trucks-transmission-defect/

"Ford will ask owners to take their trucks to dealers, where technicians will update the powertrain control module software in the affected vehicles. Owners taking their vehicles in for the repair should note that the Ford reference number for this recall is 19S07."
It’s available for other models, but not mine. It’s at the dealer right now for diagnostics, but the dealer says that they do not have the software to repair on my particular model. And no ETA from Ford on when it will become available. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it reasonable to request/expect Ford to provide a safe loaner vehicle until the repair becomes available?

So far they are unwilling to do so. 

i'd expect a #### load of obfuscation and redirection unless you have a lawyer and or class action suit active.

1 person asking for a loaner out of many thousands isn't going to move the needle. 

i wouldn't drive the thing either but perhaps talk with your insurer about your options.

My first thought is it's never safe to drive a vehicle and they are always crash risks.  Your risk of an accident increases how much due to this issue?

I'd just go on with my normal life.

Sounds like the max 8 issue tbh
The issues are similar. I'm not sure which is worse, though:

1. NOT telling customers about a potential flaw, while simultaneously selling them safety features which could fix it.

or

2. TELLING them about a potential flaw, while simultaneously saying that there is nothing that can be done about it.

(Upon reading those two sentences out loud, I'm inclined to think that #1 is way worse.)

Is it reasonable to request/expect Ford to provide a safe loaner vehicle until the repair becomes available?

So far they are unwilling to do so. 
if your service advisor can't/won't help, ask for the service manager. if that's a brick wall, take it up with the asst. GM, and then GM if that fails.

it's a PITA, but the higher up the chain you can go, the better chance at a resolution. you'll probably run up against a bunch of BS along the way, and you'll need to turn into the ##### customer. but dealerships generally don't like conflict or poor service reviews since their paycheck is sometimes tied to them.

It is NHTSA Recall 19V-075
That might not mean it is mandatory though.  Manufacturers are supposed to notify the NHTSA about any voluntary recall.  It sounds like this should be safety related which would make it higher priority but if it is voluntary then the scheduling is likely left more up to the individual Manufacturer.   I think the NHTSA website has a hotline you could probably call and they'd give you more details.

if your service advisor can't/won't help, ask for the service manager. if that's a brick wall, take it up with the asst. GM, and then GM if that fails.

it's a PITA, but the higher up the chain you can go, the better chance at a resolution. you'll probably run up against a bunch of BS along the way, and you'll need to turn into the ##### customer. but dealerships generally don't like conflict or poor service reviews since their paycheck is sometimes tied to them.
It was interesting, the service advisor and then manager both said the same thing... “Our hands are tied.”

And this was after the manager (on the phone) told me to just bring the vehicle in for repair... without checking if my vehicle could even be repaired at all. Once there, we find out it can’t be repaired, and then they are unwilling to help out with a loaner. 

All they were willing to do is to suggest calling Ford. And then Ford so far is unwilling to do anything either. 

Called my insurance carrier, and they recommended to escalate with Ford and the dealer. 

So I will await the phone call from a supervisor tomorrow. 
the insurance company is correct: escalation is the only way.

face to face with dealership management is time-consuming, but they might be more likely to acquiesce to your request just to get you out of their office. be prepared to let them know you've already taken this up with the manufacturer, and are prepared to alert the local news station (the reporter who does the customer advocacy pieces on the 6:00 news) to this situation too. at the end of the day, the dealership doesn't want the bad press leading to fewer new car sales and poor reviews. you might say the same thing to the supervisor who returns your call tomorrow. 

good luck.

Are the odds of accident similar to one's odds of death if they take Allegra? 

There are over 1.2 M vehicles involved in the recall. Yes, I think it's unreasonable to think you're getting a loaner for a few months. Its possible the local daler will set you up, but Ford isn't going to do anything. 

It is NHTSA Recall 19V-075
mis-spellings are theirs. i think that gets them off the hook.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V075-8473.PDF

"Description of Remedy Program : Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to have the Powertrin Control Module reprogramed. There will be no charge for this service.

Ford is excluding reimbursement for costs because the original warranty program would provide for a free repair for this concern. Ford will forward a copy of the notification letters to dealers to the agency when available."

Just to make sure your expectations are in line.  The dealer likely won't be able to do anything about resolving the issue if Ford hasn't authorized or provided the software fix.  The concession you may be able to get out of the dealer is a rental.  That might depend on a few things, like how old your vehicle is and if you bought it from them or not.  Remember that the dealerships are just authorized retailers, they don't have any real power with the company.

Does the transmission have the option of choosing gears manually? (i.e., paddle shifting)

If so, I'd use that option until the software is fixed.

According to NHTSA...

The Role of the Mfr.: Manufacturers will notify registered owners by first class mail within 60 days of notifying NHTSA of a recall decision. Manufacturers should offer a proper remedy to the owner.

And right now, there is no remedy. Well... there is one. They just don’t want to offer it to me at this time. 

The role of the NHTSA: NHTSA will monitor each safety recall to make sure owners receive safe, free, and effective remedies from manufacturers according to the Safety Act and Federal regulations.

Currently, I am not receiving a safe, free and effective remedy. In fact, Ford told me that it is okay to drive. They also told me that there is an increased risk of a crash. 

My role as the owner: You’ll be notified via mail from the manufacturer. When you receive a notification, follow any interim safety guidance provided by the manufacturer and contact your local dealership to fix the recalled part for free.

i have contacted my local dealership, and they are currently unable to fix the recalled part. 

We had a recall issue with our Lincoln with the passenger air bag (huge recall issue) and we were told to park our car, and get a rental. Had the rental for almost 4 months until they got  parts and my car moved up in the line of getting fixed.  

Ford is excluding reimbursement for costs because the original warranty program would provide for a free repair for this concern. Ford will forward a copy of the notification letters to dealers to the agency when available."
But what if a repair for this concern is not yet available?

I know I’m being a PITA, but I’m a little steamed about the whole thing. I fulfilled my obligation to Ford and the dealer. I paid them for my vehicle. And they have not provided me a safe vehicle. I just think they should take some additional responsibility when a remedy is unavailable. 

And I would imagine that not all of those 1.2M vehicles are a problem. Most of them have probably been repaired already. The repair for my exact model is not yet available. And of those that do not have a repair yet available, not all of those are exhibiting failures. So the affected number must be way smaller than 1.2M. 

We had a recall issue with our Lincoln with the passenger air bag (huge recall issue) and we were told to park our car, and get a rental. Had the rental for almost 4 months until they got  parts and my car moved up in the line of getting fixed.  
And you had to eat the rental costs?

But what if a repair for this concern is not yet available?

I know I’m being a PITA, but I’m a little steamed about the whole thing. I fulfilled my obligation to Ford and the dealer. I paid them for my vehicle. And they have not provided me a safe vehicle. I just think they should take some additional responsibility when a remedy is unavailable. 

And I would imagine that not all of those 1.2M vehicles are a problem. Most of them have probably been repaired already. The repair for my exact model is not yet available. And of those that do not have a repair yet available, not all of those are exhibiting failures. So the affected number must be way smaller than 1.2M. 
beats me. just quoting the recall.

i'd me really mad if i were you, too.

Users who are viewing this thread