From the same site:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...315/1007/SPORTS
Bills worked NFL draft the right way, addressing their broken-down defense
Leo Roth
Staff writer
(May 2, 2006) — So let me get this straight.
The Buffalo Bills obtained four of the Top 65 rated college football players in the country and five potential defensive starters overall.
On paper, they upgraded one of the worst defensive units in the NFL last season, addressing the line and safety positions after years of neglect. They nabbed two highly rated defensive backs in the third and fourth rounds, took three big offensive linemen, hoping to find a sleeper, and overall got quicker, deeper and smarter.
And that's a bad draft?
Because they passed on quarterback Matt Leinart with the eighth overall pick? Because they didn't trade down to take strong safety Donte Whitner and they did trade up to get defensive tackle John McCargo, an egregious act of "value" tampering the draft experts say?
Please. I get why many fans and media are ridiculing the decision by new general manager Marv Levy and coach **** Jauron to pass on Leinart. It's not every day a former Heisman Trophy winner who won two national titles falls into your team's lap.
But the comments I've heard convince me that western New York is no longer experiencing mere quarterback withdrawal since Jim Kelly retired going on 10 years ago, it's now a plague.
One fan said Levy's first draft as GM is proof the Bills don't want to win. How does rebuilding a 29th-ranked defense show you're not committed to winning?
Another said this is proof owner Ralph Wilson is cheap, that a safety costs a lot less to pay than a quarterback. That's true. But if Wilson were that cheap, he'd have nixed having to pay an extra first rounder for the second time in three years.
Frankly, anyone outraged that the Bills passed on Leinart or Jay Cutler, the quarterback Levy actually liked better, is turning a blind eye to how utterly bad Buffalo's defense was last year.
Remember? Outscored 123-59 in the fourth quarter? The epic collapse against Miami? Those annual drubbings by New England?
They make Leinart sound like a sure thing, dismissing the fact quarterbacks have an incredibly high bust-rate as first-round choices (60 percent the past 15 years), that they usually take three seasons to become merely competent, and that the Bills' former GM, Tom Donahoe, spent first-round picks to obtain quarterbacks in two of the past four drafts (the Drew Bledsoe trade and J.P. Losman).
How many more years do you paint the house and not fix the foundation?
And why are the Bills so dumb if Houston, the New York Jets, Green Bay and Oakland — teams who could've used quarterbacks picking before Buffalo — also passed on Leinart and Cutler?
The fact is, this wasn't considered an outstanding draft year for quarterbacks.
2004 was and the Bills got one of the four big names that year, Losman, after Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger.
Eight starts is simply not enough time to evaluate Losman properly. His development was stunted last year by a silly, impatient head coach (Mike Mularkey).
He deserves a chance to win the job outright in an open competition and he'll get that under Jauron against young free agent Craig Nall, who people are underestimating, and veteran Kelly Holcomb.
Jauron didn't go 13-3 with the Chicago Bears in 2001 because of bust first-round quarterback Cade McNown, the 12th overall pick in the ballyhooed QB Class of 1999. It was because of a free agent veteran QB (Jim Miller), a rookie running back (Anthony Thomas, now a Bill) and an outstanding defense, led by his first two picks in 2000, linebacker Brian Urlacher and safety Mike Brown.
Levy, the old coach, also built his title teams on balance between offense, defense and special teams. Knowing this, how was Leinart's huge salary supposed to help a team as needy as Buffalo become better overall at this juncture?
The draft is a crapshoot, but the chances are better than good that the Bills laid the foundation for a strong defense in this draft, enough to counter rival Miami, which has added Daunte Culpepper, and New England, which drafted a stud running back, wide receiver and two tight ends to give Tom Brady even more help.
In Whitner, the Bills may actually have a strong safety that can shut down a growing legion of athletic tight ends, that has the speed needed to disguise a blitz. McCargo, meanwhile, replaces departed free agent Pat Williams two years after the fact.
Levy stayed at No. 8 for Whitner because he felt Detroit would take him at No. 9 and came up for McCargo because the New York Giants wanted him at No. 32.
But if Whitner and McCargo were "reaches" in the first round then cornerback Ashton Youboty and free safety Ko Simpson were "steals" in the third and fourth because those two defensive backs had first-round grades.
Call it even. And credit Levy and Jauron for their convictions. It really doesn't matter where they drafted their players but that they got the players they wanted.
And if the Bills do strike out with Losman or Nall, fine. They'll have a shot at Notre Dame's Brady Quinn next year or some other free agent. And that quarterback should have a fine young defense to support him. Like Roethlisberger has had with the Super Bowl champion Steelers.