What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick's new body armor (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
The maker of Michael Vick's new flak jacket is willing to guarantee that Vick will not get injured this season.

"I guarantee he will not get hurt," said Rob Vito, CEO of Unequal Technologies. "What Michael is wearing was born on the battlefield and forged on the gridiron." Vito says the protective vest is made up of military-grade, battle-tested composite material along with DuPont Kevlar. It's called the "EXO Skeleton" with a compression shirt and two rib protectors on both sides. Each rib protector weighs just three ounces, allowing Vick to still "feel light."

The maker of Michael Vick's new flak jacket is willing to guarantee that Vick will not get injured this season."I guarantee he will not get hurt," said Rob Vito, CEO of Unequal Technologies. "What Michael is wearing was born on the battlefield and forged on the gridiron." Vito says the protective vest is made up of military-grade, battle-tested composite material along with DuPont Kevlar. It's called the "EXO Skeleton" with a compression shirt and two rib protectors on both sides. Each rib protector weighs just three ounces, allowing Vick to still "feel light."
Somehow i doubt that. Vick is Vick and will certainly figure out a way to get injured. He always does. This sounds more like a sales pitch than an endorsement.

The maker of Michael Vick's new flak jacket is willing to guarantee that Vick will not get injured this season."I guarantee he will not get hurt," said Rob Vito, CEO of Unequal Technologies. "What Michael is wearing was born on the battlefield and forged on the gridiron." Vito says the protective vest is made up of military-grade, battle-tested composite material along with DuPont Kevlar. It's called the "EXO Skeleton" with a compression shirt and two rib protectors on both sides. Each rib protector weighs just three ounces, allowing Vick to still "feel light."
Somehow i doubt that. Vick is Vick and will certainly figure out a way to get injured. He always does. This sounds more like a sales pitch than an endorsement.
True, but I think a technology like this could prevent a rib injury. Vick seems to be vunerable when he gets driven into the ground so wearing something like this makes sense.

As an attorney who writes for Forbes said in response to Darren Rovell mentioning this on Twitter, "shocked that CEO of football equipment manufacturer would make any guaranty after Riddell dragged into concussion litigation."

If he is wearing military grade exo-skeleton, then no, he will not hurt his ribs playing football. That is a true statement.

If he is wearing military grade exo-skeleton, then no, he will not hurt his ribs playing football. That is a true statement.
I'd like to believe you; in fact, I want to. Any insight as to why this might be possible?To everyone else laughing about his legs, knees or his hand. Of course he isn't going to guarantee the extremities. The guarantee was for the portions of the body protected by the armor. The chest and or rib-cage. Let's forgo the rest of the laughter that will fill up this thread with 8 pages of meaningless :hophead: .

I'd like to believe you; in fact, I want to. Any insight as to why this might be possible?To everyone else laughing about his legs, knees or his hand. Of course he isn't going to guarantee the extremities. The guarantee was for the portions of the body protected by the armor. The chest and or rib-cage. Let's forgo the rest of the laughter that will fill up this thread with 8 pages of meaningless :hophead: .
What does the guarantee entail, exactly? If you offer a guarantee, but offer nothing in the event he is hurt, then why shouldn't we fill the thread with meaningless :hophead: ?

Can this guy make full body armor for Ryan Mathews?
Ryan Mathews needs a feminine pad not body armor. Broken clavicle aside, the vast majority of his "injuries" are routinely toughed out by most nfl RB's. I've heard this same technology is coming for helmets for prevention of concussions. Very promising.

Ryan Mathews needs a feminine pad not body armor. Broken clavicle aside, the vast majority of his "injuries" are routinely toughed out by most nfl RB's. I've heard this same technology is coming for helmets for prevention of concussions. Very promising.
I'm curious how this is approved by the NFL. Do the players just get to pick the equipment they use or does it go through some testing process? If it is as strong as the guy hints could it actually cause injuries to other players?

This is different from the dragon skin armor (the overlaying discs) which was proven to be at times, ineffective, and that was much heavier (not heavy heavy, but it was pounds not ounces).

I'm not promoting their product, but this is the shirt Vick will possibly be wearing: https://www.unequal.com/product/Cobalt

but it will definitely be one of https://www.unequal.com/men?shirts

It's lightweight and military tested vs blast impacts. I think you will be seeing a lot more of this coming to contact sports.

I think I might buy one and send it to Mathews.. what size does he wear?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is different from the dragon skin armor (the overlaying discs) which was proven to be at times, ineffective, and that was much heavier (not heavy heavy, but it was pounds not ounces).

I'm not promoting their product, but this is the shirt Vick will possibly be wearing: https://www.unequal.com/product/Cobalt

but it will definitely be one of https://www.unequal.com/men?shirts

It's lightweight and military tested vs blast impacts. I think you will be seeing a lot more of this coming to contact sports.

I think I might buy one and send it to Mathews.. what size does he wear?
Childs 13.

'GordonGekko said:
One of the thing in Vick's disfavor is most people don't have hybrid 250 pound linebackers crashing into them on a regular basis at full speed. One of the things in Vick's favor is football is an activity where the most "pointed" thing you can get hit with is a helmet or a pad or maybe an elbow. Vick doesn't need something that requires the tradeoffs dictated by requiring a ballistic rating. Part of the problem has nothing to do with the armor or not, it has to do with Vick's size, the increased size and strength of defenders over the years, Andy Reid's offensive system and Reid's prolonged stubborness to help his QB1s by running the damn football.
I would imagine that its far easier, and different, to deal with small, pointed objects than a football players helmet. A bullet has very little momentum due to its low mass ... as long as you can disperse the force from the impact over an area a little bigger than the tip of the bullet it won't penetrate. But when you get hit by a linebacker, the force is already spread out. While this stuff might help if he takes a helmet to the ribs, its not going to help if a LB lands on him and crushes his ribs.Also, as an Eagles fan, I can say with certainty that the problem is Vick, not Andy. He holds the ball way too long. By some metrics the Eagles had the best offensive line in the league last year, and yet the line kept getting blasted in the media every time Vick limped out of a game. As a QB you need to get rid of the ball, and if you don't you need to be big enough to take those shots and get back up like Roethlisberger. Vick still plays like he's in college; he's not the most athletic guy on the field anymore.

he missed time with a high ankle sprain and then one game with a tweaked muscle or something. seems pretty standard for nfl players.

he missed time with a high ankle sprain and then one game with a tweaked muscle or something. seems pretty standard for nfl players.
Yeah, but it is much funnier when some guy on a fantasy football message board uses stale jokes to question the toughness of a guy that's made it to the NFL.

Yeah, but it is much funnier when some guy on a fantasy football message board uses stale jokes to question the toughness of a guy that's made it to the NFL.
:goodposting: Not to hijack the thread but I've asked the question in numerous Mathews threads about how the same people say he is "always hurt" AND "soft and unwilling to play through things that other guys would" yet played in 14 of 16 games last year and 12 of 16 as a rookie. Doesn't seem to add up to me that someone like that would even play in 26 of 32 games. You're either overstating how much he's been hurt or overstating how soft you think an NFL player is while you type on your keyboard.Anyways, back to Vick. I guess it's good that the guy is confident enough in his product to guarantee protection of Vick's ribs which has been a problem for him for the last two seasons. As others have mentioned though it obviously isnt going to help with protection of other injuries.And people talk about his style of play, which is conducive to more injury. He holds the ball but it's to make a play. That's who he is and his ability to extend plays and make things happen with his legs is what makes him such a threat and harder to defend. IMO the bigger issue of why he is so susceptible to injury is his size. He's a very small guy by NFL and NFL QB standards. I've met him in person, basically stood eye to eye, and it felt like we were the same size. I'm 5'10 and about 185. He's slightly taller and has more muscle mass but his body is just not going to hold up to taking the kind of shots he takes from guys the size of today's NFL players. That's the difference between him and Big Ben. His size and style of play will always put him at greater risk of injury.

Unless this new jacket covers Vick's vag, I don't see it as something I would bet on.

Is it me, or did this guy just put a bullseye on Vick's ribs...I can tell you, as a D-lineman or LB, I would be trying to test the guarantee. Plus, I wonder whether this is just for initial contact. I mean, if Vince Wilfork falls on Vick, I highly doubt it prevents his ribs from crushing..weight is weight.

Mathews college coaches made comments that he routinely pulled himself out of games for various minor injuries.

Also, how many times has he been listed as questionable since entering the league?

Here are his injuries through 2 seasons that he missed or left early from games:

Clavicle week 1+ 12'

Calf soreness week 17. 11'

Knee soreness week 12. 11'

Groin soreness. Weeks 8-11. 11'

Thumb injury. Week 7 11'

Calf week 5. 11'

Wrist week 5 11'

Foot. Week 3. 11'

Upper leg strain. Preseason. 11'

Toe. Preseason. 11'

Failed conditioning test. 11'

Wrist. Week 17'. 10

Calf. Week 16. 10'

Ankle. Weeks 9-13. 10'

Facial laceration. Week 8. 10'

Ankle. Weeks 2-7. 10'

Elbow. Week 3

nose bleeds. Preseason. 10'

So as you can see. I'm not making up his uncanny ability to be on the injury report and miss playing time virtually every week.

Just because he's in the NFL doesn't grant him a high pain tolerance.

Hijack noted

Mathews college coaches made comments that he routinely pulled himself out of games for various minor injuries.

Also, how many times has he been listed as questionable since entering the league?

Here are his injuries through 2 seasons that he missed or left early from games:

Clavicle week 1+ 12'

Calf soreness week 17. 11'

Knee soreness week 12. 11'

Groin soreness. Weeks 8-11. 11'

Thumb injury. Week 7 11'

Calf week 5. 11'

Wrist week 5 11'

Foot. Week 3. 11'

Upper leg strain. Preseason. 11'

Toe. Preseason. 11'

Failed conditioning test. 11'

Wrist. Week 17'. 10

Calf. Week 16. 10'

Ankle. Weeks 9-13. 10'

Facial laceration. Week 8. 10'

Ankle. Weeks 2-7. 10'

Elbow. Week 3

nose bleeds. Preseason. 10'

So as you can see. I'm not making up his uncanny ability to be on the injury report and miss playing time virtually every week.

Just because he's in the NFL doesn't grant him a high pain tolerance.

Hijack noted
Continued hijack warning!1)Clavicle week 1+ 12'- Technically has not missed any reg. season games yet so let's leave that for now

Calf soreness week 17. 11'-Missed last game of season for team already eliminated from playoffs and no FF implications for most

2)Knee soreness week 12. 11'-He had 142 total yards and 1 reception. So how early did he leave? Did he come back in the game? Regardless that's good production.

3)Groin soreness. Weeks 8-11. 11'- He got hurt in week 8, missed week 9, and was limited in weeks 10 and 11. Bad stretch but most RBs with a bad groin are going to miss time and/or produce in a subpar fashion.

Thumb injury. Week 7 11'- 65 total yards, 4 receptions. Bad week, salvageable in PPR

4)Calf week 5. 11'- Had 132 total yards and 1 reception. Again good production. How early did he leave? Did he return to the game.

5)Wrist week 5 11'- Same week as above. Same production same question.

6)Foot. Week 3. 11'- Had 149 yards, 2 TDs, and 4 receptions. GREAT production. How early did he leave? Did he return to the game?

7)Upper leg strain. Preseason. 11'- Preseason, couldn't care less.

8)Toe. Preseason. 11'- Preseason, couldn't care less.

9)Failed conditioning test. 11'- See above

10)Wrist. Week 17'. 10- Had 139 yards and 3 TDs. Great production. To be fair, no FF implications for most. But when did he leave game? Did he return?

11)Calf. Week 16. 10'- 83 Total yards, 1 TD, 3 receptions. Solid FF production.

12)Ankle. Weeks 9-13. 10'- Got hurt in week 9 and missed next 3 games.

13)Facial laceration. Week 8. 10'- 54 total yards, 1 TD, 3 receptions. Solid production.

14)Ankle. Weeks 2-7. 10'- Got hurt week 2, missed week 3, played weeks 3-7 with subpar production.

15)Elbow. Week 3- I'm assuming this is 2010. Missed week 3, not sure if it was ankle or elbow

16) nose bleeds. Preseason. 10'- Preseason

So of the 15 injuries you list before the clavicle, 4 were in the pre-season and include failing a conditioning test, some overlap the same weeks, and he produced 8 games of solid to very good FF production.

I won't argue that he's had more than his share of injuries. But I don't see how you call a guy soft when he's still played and produced FF wise with 8 of the 11 reg. season injuries you mentioned. That's what I'm interested in. His FF production.

You talk about him missing time every week and leaving games early. How much time is he missing? How many times is he leaving these games and not returning? How do you characterize his ability to still produce when doing these things? Without having definitive answers to the above or being a trainer on the sideline how do you have ANY idea of what his pain tolerance is?

Bottom line for me is the guy has had more than his share of injuries but STILL finished as RB7 last year AND sharing touches with Tolbert. I attribute his injuries to bad luck and having to learn how to better condition himself. I'm not going to sit on my keyboard and guess at his level of pain tolerance. It's football, guys get hurt. Mathews has gotten hurt more than his fair share over his young career. But he's still played in 81% of the reg. season games of his 2 year career. He's still produced while sharing a lot of touches with Tolbert. I'll let you and others assume you know his pain tolerance and make jokes. I'll just take a gamble on his FF production.

'cvnpoka said:
'The Gunslinger said:
What your missing is that if your an owner of him and he is questionable (every week), it his hard to start him with confidence.
i dunno, vaterp's rundown of his production while limited or questionable should give you a bit of confidence.
Oh, you mean the two weeks that he did produce.....Got it.

I ended up with Vick and in the past, I've always rated him higher because of the fantasy points he earns in rush yards and rush TDs. But, with all the concerns with injury and his new armor, does anyone else downgrading him due to an expected decrease in rushing yards and rush TDs? Or upgraded him, with expectations that he'll complete the season off the injury report?

Users who are viewing this thread