What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

W9 Sunday AM Notes (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Nick Perry and Charles Woodson remain out. Brad Jones continues as the every-down inside linebacker. Erik Walden should continue to see the majority of snaps at OLB opposite Clay Matthews. MD Jennings saw most of the snaps as Woodson’s replacement but rotated out a few times.

Haloti Ngata is listed questionable, but with a shoulder injury rather than the MCL sprain that had been his primary injury in recent weeks. Local writers expect him to play, but he’s likely to rotate out heavily as he did before the bye week.

The Browns are likely without Ahtyba Rubin today, but get Phil Taylor back off the PUP list. D’Qwell Jackson has been limited with foot and toe injuries recently, but I haven’t seen any indication that he will not play today. I’ve also not seen any indication that Craig Robertson could be benched in favor of James-Michael Johnson in subpackages, but Robertson hasn’t been effective in recent games. It’s something to watch in the second half of the season.

The Texans said that Barrett Ruud would be active and begin rotating into some defensive packages this week. Gary Kubiak also said that Darryl Sharpton was nearly healthy and close to returning. Bradie James wasn’t playing every-down and hasn’t been statistically productive when he is on the field. We may now be a week or so away from an extensive rotation. The rub here is that both Ruud and Sharpton could end up seeing the bulk of the team’s snaps, but neither is likely to be more productive than what we’ve seen from James. If you’re in a deeper league and looking for a flyer, Sharpton is probably the best bet of the longshots.

Perry Riley is questionable with a hamstring injury. He is likely to play this week, but he may rotate with Lorenzo Alexander at times. Though Brandon Meriweather will not return today, the safety rotation continues. Madieu Williams gets the majority of snaps, with Reed Doughty and Jordan Pugh rotating behind.

The Titans are now using Akeem Ayers as a rotational defensive end in subpackages, which has dropped him from the every-down linebacker list. Zach Brown began last week as the Titans’ nickel OLB, playing every down, but the team played predominantly dime packages after the first quarter. There are indications we’ll see more nickel this week, making Brown an upside LB3 play. Colin McCarthy is having his practice reps managed, but he looked healthier last week than he has in some time. Impossible to know how it plays out this week, but Jordan Babineaux was a full time player last week.

Tracy Porter remains out; Chris Harris will again start in his place. I don’t expect any changes to the linebacker rotation with Joe Mays out as he wasn’t playing recently anyway. It will be interesting to see how the Broncos handle the return of DJ Williams, however.

DeAndre Levy may be back today, but he’s likely to see fewer nickel snaps if he returns. Both Louis Delmas and Amari Spievey are out, putting John Wendling and Ricardo Silva back in the lineup as starters. Both have had decent games as replacements, but I’d lean narrowly to Silva if you’re looking for a flyer today.

Pat Angerer and Jerrell Freeman were fully practicing on Friday after being in walking boots earlier in the week. I would plan on the current linebacker rotation (Freeman every down, Angerer and Conner rotating in the base, with Angerer in a spare subpackage or two) until we see otherwise. Robert Mathis should be back this week.

Mark Herzlich will start for the injured Chase Blackburn today, a move that seemed to be about to happen anyway. I doubt Herzlich will be as involved in the subpackages as Blackburn was, despite the expected absence of Keith Rivers again. Instead, expect to see lots of Big Nickel alignments, with Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown and Kenny Phillips on the field at the same time. Fewell would not say whether Phillips would get his starting job back. I think we’re most likely to see a rotation today, with neither playing full time. Of the two, I think it’s more likely that Brown plays full time than Phillips. EDIT: PFT is reporting that Kenny Phillips will NOT play today.

EJ Biggers will start for Tampa Bay with Aqib Talib gone. Leonard Johnson sees an expanded role as a nickel defensive back. Da’Quan Bowers returned last week but played only a handful of snaps.

Dan Connor is out this week. The Cowboys tried to play more dime packages, but were forced to use Orie Lemon in the base defense at times last week. Ernie Sims could be getting closer to playing a full time role, however. He was already seeing some time in the nickel in the first half last week and he’s not likely to be any worse than Lemon was in the base defense.

Akeem Dent will be an every-down linebacker with Sean Weatherspoon out tonight. Mike Peterson will see time in the base defense.

David Hawthorne was fully practicing this week and could rotate in more heavily with Jon Vilma, who had played nearly every down last week as the Saints were predominantly in a nickel package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene,

In regards to Robert Mathis; I read he was going to be responsible for his own snap management. Will he play enough today to justify an IDP start?

In regards to Robert Mathis; I read he was going to be responsible for his own snap management. Will he play enough today to justify an IDP start?
Mathis should only be a starter in sack heavy scoring leagues and extremely deep balanced leagues. Snap count doesn't bother me much in those situations because you're ideally looking for one big play. The added snaps help, but 30-40 snaps are enough to make a player startable in those leagues.

Mathis should only be a starter in sack heavy scoring leagues and extremely deep balanced leagues. Snap count doesn't bother me much in those situations because you're ideally looking for one big play. The added snaps help, but 30-40 snaps are enough to make a player startable in those leagues.
Thanks Jene. He really is a desperation play for me at this time (between Mathis and Greg Hardy). I couldn't keep trotting out Babin, Cole, or Mario Williams and get virtually no productions.

D. Jackson is active for Cleveland, but do you think he will start and play a full game? Thanks for your time.

I realize this is not a early game - but I have to make a decision - what do you expect from Ernie Sims today against Atlanta?

D. Jackson is active for Cleveland, but do you think he will start and play a full game? Thanks for your time.
He's starting. Would expect that the plan is for him to play every down and I haven't seen any local reports to suggest otherwise. Can't guarantee that he won't be limited, however.

I realize this is not a early game - but I have to make a decision - what do you expect from Ernie Sims today against Atlanta?
Expect he plays more than last week in subpackages. Think there's a chance he plays in some base defenses, but haven't seen anything specific. Call him a LB4 with LB3 upside. Small chance of higher ceiling, but only a small one.

Thanks for answering my earlier question. One more, I see that Kerry Rhodes is active. Is he starting? Thanks again.

'The Titans are now using Akeem Ayers as a rotational defensive end in subpackages'

Do you know if Ayers subs for Morgan or Wimbley, or are one of them bumped inside to DT when Ayers is in?

'The Titans are now using Akeem Ayers as a rotational defensive end in subpackages'Do you know if Ayers subs for Morgan or Wimbley, or are one of them bumped inside to DT when Ayers is in?
Was a minor rotation, only in clear long passing situations. Sometimes a straight sub for Wimbley, sometimes moving Morgan inside I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread