What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wade Phillips rumored to be next DC for Texans (1 Viewer)

John Norton

Staff member
It may not be a given that the Texans go back to a 3-4 if Phillips is hired, but Phillips is a 3-4 guy so the chances are good that they will. This could have big implications for Mario Williams and Brian Cushing in particular. Will Williams be another miscast OLB project or will his talents be squelched as a 3-4 end? Ryans would surely be on the inside but where would Cushing fit in? If he is an ILB with Ryans who is the stud? If he lands in an OLB position how far does his value plummet or is he another DeMarcus Ware? How much would this effect Bernard Pollard or would he fit in at all? Lots of uncertainty with this news/speculation.

Lack of success with the 3-4 caused the Texans switch to the 4-3 a few years back. Many of us still remember the years when Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman both put up 100 solo tackles a season. Maybe that will be Cushing and Ryans next year. But I somehow doubt it.

I wouldn't write off Mario Williams in a Phillips 3-4. I don't think he'll play many snaps in a standup OLB role (but he could get some) and he's one of the few that has the skill set to do what Bruce Smith did in the scheme. I'd expect Cushing to play outside (possibly with Connor Barwin) given his all-around talent, and there's lots of interesting ILB candidates (Sharpton, Diles, Bentley) to challenge for a job next to Ryans. I think the top ILB producer would again come down to who plays WILB and who plays every down. There was no player who regularly filled both of those roles in Dallas over the past couple of years.

If the Texans hire Phillips, (which seems very likely) expect them to go back to a 3-4. If McNair is going to bring Wade in to fix the defense, can’t see him playing an even front. I agree with Jene, Williams could be okay, may see Cushing and Barwin outside with Ryans and Diles/Sharpton inside.

Be interesting what they do with Pollard, Phillips may think he is too big a liability in coverage and move in a different direction.

Be interesting what they do with Pollard, Phillips may think he is too big a liability in coverage and move in a different direction.
Steve Atwater Part Deux?
Didn't Atwater play FS and Dennis Smith play SS during Phillips tenure? I know Atwater easily had the better tackle numbers.
:banned: Shoulda known I couldn't slip that by you. Smith was no slouch either, though, if I'm remembering well. I'd guess that Pollard is pretty safe under Phillips, but that's part of the "fun" in watching the first part of the offseason develop.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at the Texans roster right now they dont have the NT they need in 3-4 so does that mean the Auburn Univ DL-Fairley(sp??)- becomes a prime target. or is that too high to take a NT in rd1?

other options would be OLB, and a CB..... can those positions be addressed in Free Agency in 2011?

Fox is out in Carolina, rather have him than Phillips.

Not sure off top of my head what's out there in free agency, have to check that out.

Marvin Lewis would be my first choice for DC, then Fox. I think it would be too many holes to swap for a 3-4 right now. Plus I just don't like Wade's personality.

Marvin Lewis would be my first choice for DC, then Fox. I think it would be too many holes to swap for a 3-4 right now. Plus I just don't like Wade's personality.
I'm not a fan of Phillips defenses either. There are a number of guys I would rather see there. I think Phillips has the potential to ruin some quality IDPs. I can't think of any IDP studs his scheme has produced and I don't share Jene's optimism about Mario Williams either. I don't see him being all that productive as a 3-4 end (more like Aaron Smith than Bruce Smith) and if he does move to OLB and is productive there, its not like we will get the points for him as a DE. He could have some value in big play scoring systems but the rest of us would lose another stud DE. Not to mention the fact that he probably wouldn't be all that happy about the situation ala Aaron Kampman who couldn't wait to escape Green Bay.

I think Mario is just too big to play OLB. Also while I would call him quick, I don't think he is fast enough for OLB either. The dude weighs over 290 lbs.

Wade is not a one trick pony. IIRC, in Buffalo he was going to implement a 4-3 based on personnel. After drafting Sam Cowart he felt he had to get him on the field in his rookie year. Changed the scheme to 3-4. Within a year or 2 Cowart was the top LB in the league, and ahead of Lewis in his prime, when TB blew out his achilies. Left unscathed he may have put together one of the most amazing IDP efforts on the books.

After drafting 4-3 personnel so heavily, I have a hard time believing Wade won't create a system that makes sense for the team. It was even rumored that he was consulting with Buffalo's Edwards this year when the latter was having a hard time incorporating 4-3 looks.

If you all didn't like his system in Dallas, it could have had as much to do with his personnel as his defensive wizardry. Given the talent I think he can create an amazing D - a bump for Houston players. I still remember the defense that, even with Doug Flutie at QB, became the team nobody wanted to play in the 2000(1?) playoffs. And had an unbeatable home team (TEN) beaten...except for a bad (throw-forward) call.

Wade is not a one trick pony. IIRC, in Buffalo he was going to implement a 4-3 based on personnel. After drafting Sam Cowart he felt he had to get him on the field in his rookie year. Changed the scheme to 3-4. Within a year or 2 Cowart was the top LB in the league, and ahead of Lewis in his prime, when TB blew out his achilies. Left unscathed he may have put together one of the most amazing IDP efforts on the books.

After drafting 4-3 personnel so heavily, I have a hard time believing Wade won't create a system that makes sense for the team. It was even rumored that he was consulting with Buffalo's Edwards this year when the latter was having a hard time incorporating 4-3 looks.

If you all didn't like his system in Dallas, it could have had as much to do with his personnel as his defensive wizardry. Given the talent I think he can create an amazing D - a bump for Houston players. I still remember the defense that, even with Doug Flutie at QB, became the team nobody wanted to play in the 2000(1?) playoffs. And had an unbeatable home team (TEN) beaten...except for a bad (throw-forward) call.
Are you sure about that changing scheme? Almost positive Bills were running a 34 before Phillips arrived in Buffalo.

They were set to run a 4-3 before drafting Cowart. That I am sure about. But yes, they had been running a 3-4 prior.

They were set to run a 4-3 before drafting Cowart. That I am sure about. But yes, they had been running a 3-4 prior.
Strange being a 3-4 guy… coming to a team already running a 3-4… and wanting to change it to a 4-3. :mellow:

Considering the "46" (as a base) had pretty much already run it's course

Philips DC'd under Ryan in Philly running a 43; but make no mistake that was Buddy’s defense. I think for Wade the Philly deal was a lot about stepping out from his father’s shadow and at the same time having the opportunity to work for one of the best defensive minds in the game plus see and learn the hottest new defense “46” up close and personal.

Its not a given that they will go 3-4 and I agree Phillips has a great mind for Xs and Os. I just think the 3-4 is his preference if he can make it work. I guess the question is, do they think they can make it work with a few offseason tweaks? I'm sure the next couple of weeks will be enlightening for us as far as their intentions go. I just know that I have Cushing in a couple of dynasty leagues and I am concerned.

The Texans have hired Wade Phillips as their defensive coordinator, according to a person with knowledge of the decision.

Phillips, 63, spent much of the day at Reliant Stadium interviewing with coach Gary Kubiak and meeting with others in the organization, including owner Bob McNair and general manager Rick Smith.

Phillips will be Kubiak's third defensive coordinator in six years, following Richard Smith and Frank Bush, both of whom were fired.

The Texans said they will be switching to a 3-4 defense, which Phillips has employed for most of his coaching career.

Phillips was in his fourth season as head coach in Dallas when he was fired after a 1-7 start by the Cowboys.

The Texans spoke to Marvin Lewis about the job before he agreed to a new deal to remain as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

john.mcclain@chron.com

Texans to play 3-4

Its not a given that they will go 3-4 and I agree Phillips has a great mind for Xs and Os. I just think the 3-4 is his preference if he can make it work. I guess the question is, do they think they can make it work with a few offseason tweaks? I'm sure the next couple of weeks will be enlightening for us as far as their intentions go. I just know that I have Cushing in a couple of dynasty leagues and I am concerned.
The report here is saying 3-4, but when the club has it dog and pony show, I guess we will find out.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...nt/7367380.html

All signs point to a 3-4. Getting a NT most likely will be top priority.

They may want to have both Okoye and Mitchell pack on a few pounds and take a look at them at NT. Wade had success with an undersized NT in Dallas in Ratliff, who was just a tad over 300 lbs. Okoye and Mitchell should be able to convert to defensive ends if needed.

Depending on where Cushing lines up, Texans may be in the market for an ILB.

Barwin has the athleticism to play OLB, like his potential there.

Texans may have a difficult time getting Antonio Smith to buy into an odd front.

Mario should be fine and could be a special player in this scheme. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported Phillips plans to use defensive end Mario Williams, a Pro Bwl selection last season, much the same way he used end Bruce Smith in Buffalo. Phillips also told McClain he likes how the rest of the Texans' defensive talent will fit into the 3-4 scheme.

Doubt Mark Anderson will be back, too small to play end, lacks skill set to stand up.

Not sure about Pollard, very similar to Roy Williams in Dallas in terms of coverage skills. Phillips has been there done that, we’ll see.

ugggh big bummer for my dynasty leagues where I have loaded up on Barwin as a DE. No value at OLB.

Lots of good info from the insiders though :goodposting:

I would expect Cushing has to stay inside, doesn't seem like a rush OLB at all to me. Hopefully Williams will have value as a DE in a 3-4 but I'm looking to move him now.

Antonio Smith- wasn't he out in ARZ because they switched to a 3-4?

I'm not a fan of Phillips defenses either. There are a number of guys I would rather see there. I think Phillips has the potential to ruin some quality IDPs. I can't think of any IDP studs his scheme has produced and I don't share Jene's optimism about Mario Williams either. I don't see him being all that productive as a 3-4 end (more like Aaron Smith than Bruce Smith) and if he does move to OLB and is productive there, its not like we will get the points for him as a DE. He could have some value in big play scoring systems but the rest of us would lose another stud DE. Not to mention the fact that he probably wouldn't be all that happy about the situation ala Aaron Kampman who couldn't wait to escape Green Bay.
I wouldn't say I have definite top ten optimism for Williams, just that if you were going to choose one linemen in the league today that could put up 40-50 solos and double digit sacks as a 1-gap 3-4 end, I'd think that Williams would be at the top of the list. I think Williams could easily better what Calais Campbell and Shaun Ellis have done (40 solos and 6-8 sacks) in recent years.I think a Kampman/Haynesworth like fuss is possible, though. I'm very interested to hear what Williams has to say about a change in his role.I think there are two significant reasons for the lack of IDP studs in Dallas in recent seasons. First, the opportunity has been average to well below average -- bottom ten in 2007-2009 and right at the league average this year. Better players with more consistent opportunity might be able to overcome those limitations. But there hasn't been even an average run support player in the secondary since Phillips took over and only Bradie James (who's range and coverage skills are limited) has been an every-down player at ILB. Put a rangy, tackler at ILB and let him play every down in this defense and you get Donnie Edwards' 105-114-100 solo tackle seasons (Wade's every-down WILB in SD during some poor opportunity seasons) or Keith Brooking's 111 and 122 solo tackle seasons (Wade's every-down WILB in ATL in 2002 and 2003). This is also the same scheme (via Mike Nolan) from which we've seen Patrick Willis and DJ Williams run up top five seasons. I expect DeMeco Ryans to fill that role next year. If his recovery goes well and he's ready to take enough reps to get comfortable this offseason, rank him outside the top ten at your own risk. :thumbup:I continue to contend that Brian Cushing showed us what he is this season. A very solid all-around OLB. An offseason of reps inside could improve his instincts and ability to recognize and shed blocks by interior linemen to turn him into another James Farrior, but I think he'll be slotted at an OLB position. If the Texans can find an edge rusher, Cushing can play LOLB and support the run, drop into zones and rush the passer like a Lamarr Woodley. If not, I think Cushing could play ROLB. He won't be the next Clay Matthews or James Harrison, but I think he's a better fit there than at SILB. I think Darryl Sharpton will likely prove to be the best SILB option on the roster, with Connor Barwin the OLB wildcard.

Some details, but no major surprises here.

Phillips confirms that the team will change to the 3-4, that Williams and Smith are likely to play end and that Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell could survive at NT while noting the differences between the 2-gap 3-4 and his 1-gap version. He also notes that he's not yet sure whether Cushing is a better fit inside or outside, but expects to look at Barwin and Mark Anderson at OLB.

Phillips confirms that the team will change to the 3-4, that Williams and Smith are likely to play end and that Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell could survive at NT while noting the differences between the 2-gap 3-4 and his 1-gap version. He also notes that he's not yet sure whether Cushing is a better fit inside or outside, but expects to look at Barwin and Mark Anderson at OLB.
Barwin is gonna be a popular sleeper in sack-heavy leagues, you can see this coming a mile away.

No mention of Okoye other than being "the other guy in 4 man fronts"?

this has been a really good thread.

Wondering if we could have any updates on what our IDP gurus think the Wade Phillips "30" scheme will look like. The Texans went quite heavy with additions to their defensive front so it would be good to hear that vibe your getting as to how this scheme will look.

Users who are viewing this thread