What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (2 Viewers)

For anyone looking for something off the beaten path to read, I stumbled upon this List of Good Books That Almost Nobody Has Read.
Interesting that the first guy quoted is John Dos Passos, since he is now a guy whose work I would put at the top of my list of "Good Books That Almost Nobody Has Read."Back in the day, he was considered one of the Big 4 - along with Hemingway, Faulkner, and Fitzgerald. But he fell out of critical favor in the late 30s. His major work is the U.S.A. trilogy, made up of The 42nd Parallel (1930), 1919 (1932), and The Big Money (1936). I highly recommend it.

Just finished Three Cups of Tea, which is about Greg Mortenson and his work building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. (Don't recall if this book has been mentioned recently.) Very enlightening about Pakistan, its people, and culture, in particular.

I'm really struggling through Blood Meridian, which is a shame as I'd been looking forward to reading it for a while. I think if you took 5 pages and studied the writing, it would be amazing. But I'm trying to read the whole book and is SO thick - 10 pages describing dirt and such.
I just saw this post.

I'm sorry that you are having trouble with the novel.

It is a dense book and chock full of description that, superficially, seems unnecessary. Like you, I generally abhor florid descriptions of scenery and once threw Jane Eyre across a room, forswearing Bronte forever, after slogging through the third 500-word description of an English drawing room in a span of 20 pages.

It is not as easy to dismiss McCarthy, however. The narrator's syntax is simultaneously grand and colloquial, archaic and wholly invented. And it has the effect of investing in the landscape an importance it is not usually afforded other novels. In Blood Meridian the land itself is a character--a character whose peculiar qualities move and shape the narrative as much as the wants and desires of the human characters.

It is also important to note that the novel's horrific and omnipresent violence is described in exactly the same way: both eloquently and offhandedly, and with a gruesomely poetic attention to detail. This allows the reader to infer one of the novel's greatest themes: that murder and war are as essential to the idea of America as the land itself.

Dirt/violence is to Blood Meridian what water/obsession is to Moby ****.

But in addition to all that: McCarthy's syntax--while perfectly functional as a descriptor of action and mise en scene--also provides much of the novel's narrative thrust. It is lyrical, propulsive, and downright poetic. Read the following paragraph out loud and see if you don't feel like Walt Whitman with a blue-steel erection:

From Blood Meridian:

That night they rode through a region electric and wild where strange shapes of soft blue fire ran over the metal of the horses' trappings and the wagonwheels rolled in hoops of fire and little shapes of pale blue light came to perch in the ears of the horses and in the beards of the men. All night sheetlighning quaked sourceless to the west beyond the midnight thunder-heads, making a bluish day of the distant desert, the mountains on the sudden skyline stark and black and livid like a land of some other order out there whose true geology was not stone but fear. The thunder moved up from the southwest and lightning lit the desert all about them, blue and barren, great clanging reaches ordered out of the absolute night like some demon kingdom summoned up or changeling land that come the day would leave them neither trace nor smoke nor ruin more than any troubling dream.
See what I mean? Descriptions of the landscape cannot be separated from the rest of the novel--they are the novel. I hope you learn to like the book. As you can probably tell, it is among my favorites.
Thanks for this. Its picking up.

Just finished Everyman, by Philip Roth. It's a short meditation on aging and facing death. I picked it up in a bargain bin because of the author, but it's not particularly insightful or interesting.

Picked up Ghost Wars by Stephen Coll from the library. Really looking forward to this one.

Just finished Kissing in Manhattan, a book of short stories by David Shickler where the characters interweave between stories. I thought it was fun and kind of sexy. It was a very quick read, perfect for the subway. Now onto Confederacy of Dunces, then Yiddish Policemen's Union.

Currently working on Gusher of Lies: The Dangerous Delusions of "Energy Independence". Highly recommend this. Gives insight into why he believes we can never be independant, why it's just a feel good talking point to sway voters, and most importantly it looks like towards the end of the book he throws out his suggestions on what should be done instead of falling into the same trap that a lot of writers do - #####ing about what's going on, but not presenting alternatives or solutions for people to think about.

Next up will be Ghost Mountain Boys - written by an author that lives in my town and I've been meaning to read it for awhile.

Currently working on Gusher of Lies: The Dangerous Delusions of "Energy Independence". Highly recommend this. Gives insight into why he believes we can never be independant, why it's just a feel good talking point to sway voters, and most importantly it looks like towards the end of the book he throws out his suggestions on what should be done instead of falling into the same trap that a lot of writers do - #####ing about what's going on, but not presenting alternatives or solutions for people to think about.

Next up will be Ghost Mountain Boys - written by an author that lives in my town and I've been meaning to read it for awhile.
I'm gonna try to read Gusher but it will be difficult for me to keep an open mind. Too often the naysayers focus on current, not future costs of alternatives. It took 50 years after the advent of the computer for us to have a powerful and affordable desktop computer in our home offices; one would think that we could also make similar steady yet incremental advances in the field of renewable energy.

I'm gonna try to read Gusher but it will be difficult for me to keep an open mind. Too often the naysayers focus on current, not future costs of alternatives. It took 50 years after the advent of the computer for us to have a powerful and affordable desktop computer in our home offices; one would think that we could also make similar steady yet incremental advances in the field of renewable energy.
He's not really a naysayer in that regard - more presenting it as we need to be honest about it. Explore other things, but be realistic about their limitations and how much we'll still need foreign oil for the next 20-30 years.

On to the next in the series - "Mister Slaughter" (who was briefly seen in "Queen" but wasn't an active part of the plot).
I wrapped this one up yesterday. I liked it better even than "Queen of Bedlam". It's not for the faint of heart, though - there are some brutal scenes in there that are hard to forget. I read somwhere that McCammon is working on the next in the series - "The Providence Rider", I think it's called.I bought McCammon's "Swan Song" for my Kindle awhile back so I think I'm doing a reread of it next. It's been 15-20 years since I last read it.

Has anyone read Beatrice & Virgil by Yann Martel?

I really enjoyed Life of Pi but based on the reviews on Amazon I'm a little leary of this one. I'm not sure I need a holocaust lecture during my liesure time and I'm wondering if the animal characters will play as well the second time.

I really enjoyed Life of Pi but based on the reviews on Amazon I'm a little leary of this one. I'm not sure I need a holocaust lecture during my liesure time and I'm wondering if the animal characters will play as well the second time.
Well, on the plus side, no word yet that he stole this story. :brush:

I loved Life of Pi but after reading the synopsis and some of the reviews of the new one, I decided to pass on it. Frankly, it sounds fairly awful.

Just finished Three Cups of Tea, which is about Greg Mortenson and his work building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. (Don't recall if this book has been mentioned recently.) Very enlightening about Pakistan, its people, and culture, in particular.
Yea, this was mentioned before. I just finished reading it - I thought the beginning was incredibly boring (and it seemed a bit sensationalist IMO) but I really got into the book as it went on. You certainly learn a lot about Pakistan and its culture.

Finishing up Compact History of the Civil War (for about the 8th time).

Started reading Best Evidence (Kennedy Assassination) for about the third time.

For those who have read books by Daniel Silva:

I'm about halfway through The Kill Artist and am wondering if this is what I can expect through the whole series? Thus far, this book is pretty tepid. Allon has shown absolutely no personality or likeability. It's just the standard retired spy called back into service. Ludlum wrote this same character over and over, and I've kind of burned out on it.

I know it's a popular series and I don't want to bail on it if he evolves over time into something with some substance.

What I really need is to find another series as good as the Jack Reacher books. I just read the latest one, 61 Hours, and they are so far apart from any other series in the genre. While Reacher is pretty much the same guy in book twelve as he is in book one, at least we get in his head and understand his thought process. That really hasn't happened with Allon just yet.

Finished a re-read of The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon last night, reaffirming that this is easily one of my favorite novels, if not my overall favorite. Fantastic setting, great story, and the best fictional character I have ever encountered (Fermin Romero de Torres). This is one of those novels that I'll need to pick back up every five years or so.
Just started this and I'm liking it so far.

MacArtist said:

I'm about halfway through The Kill Artist and am wondering if this is what I can expect through the whole series? Thus far, this book is pretty tepid. Allon has shown absolutely no personality or likeability. It's just the standard retired spy called back into service. Ludlum wrote this same character over and over, and I've kind of burned out on it.

I know it's a popular series and I don't want to bail on it if he evolves over time into something with some substance.

What I really need is to find another series as good as the Jack Reacher books. I just read the latest one, 61 Hours, and they are so far apart from any other series in the genre. While Reacher is pretty much the same guy in book twelve as he is in book one, at least we get in his head and understand his thought process. That really hasn't happened with Allon just yet.
I'm with you on that. All of Daniel Silva's books are the same. The only difference is that the plot slightly changes. :lmao:

Once you've read a couple of the Allon books, they tend to be pretty predictable. But if you want a mindless read, this is definitely the author for that.
I'll agree that they're not tremendously deep, but I've enjoyed all of the Allon series. I do think the Allon character become more interesting as the series progresses. :lmao:

2666 by Roberto Bolano. I was a little leary of this book, thinking it might be either a) way too pretentious or b) way too brutal. But I'm loving it. Highly recommended.

MacArtist said:

I'm with you on that. All of Daniel Silva's books are the same. The only difference is that the plot slightly changes. :bag:

Once you've read a couple of the Allon books, they tend to be pretty predictable. But if you want a mindless read, this is definitely the author for that.
I'll agree that they're not tremendously deep, but I've enjoyed all of the Allon series. I do think the Allon character become more interesting as the series progresses. :shrug:
Thanks to both of you. I'll probably give it the rest of this book and determine if I want to keep reading them. I'm just wore out on the standard spy thriller, though at least it's not either a WWII or Cold War spy novel.

Anyone read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? It's getting a lot of hype & looks pretty interesting.
Been reading about this one and it definitely sounds like my type of book. My only hesitancy is that it's the first part of a projected trilogy and I hate starting series before they are finished. The other knock I am hearing is that there is a big time jump at some point in the novel and that the first part is much better than the second part.

Fever Dream by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Meh. If you like Pendergast, you'll probably read this. But it doesn't hold a candle to earlier works like Cabinet of Curiosities. If you haven't read anything on Pendergast, don't start here. Go back and read Relic. The first three books in this series are the best in the genre I've ever read.

Also, Preston and Child are starting a new series with the first book slated for release early next year.

Next up I have to finish It and then it's on to the new Jack Reacher book.
I am half way through this now & your opinion is pretty much word for word the review I would have given it.Just doesn't have the oomph that the earlier books had.

I think its time agent Pendergrast met his demise.
After setting this book down for a week or so, I knocked thelast 50 pages or so off in one itting. It actually picked up a little for me at the end, but still not as good as previous Preston & Child efforts.Was happy to see that they are starting a new series with a new protagonist.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, who engaged Simmons in a 3-part email exchange last week on ESPN Page 2. I read a bunch of his work in The New Yorker, which I really liked, and then picked up this book, which is mostly about how our brains rely (or fail to) on snap judgments.
:thumbup: I read part and then listened to most of it driving this weekend, pretty good read.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon - I enjoyed this a lot. Chabon focuses on plot here and crafts a detective tale in the Raymond Chandler mode set in a fictional district of Alaska where Jews have re-settled post WWII. The plot is well paced, and although it's a bit confusing (like Chandler), it holds your attention. Chabon does a great job with setting both here and in Kavalier & Klay - you really feel like you are in a fictional Jewish Alaska and 1940s NYC, respectively. Part of this is that the novel has a language of its own that incorporates Yiddish vocab as well as Chabon's own creations (there's a glossary in the back). Recommended.

Now I'm onto Empire Falls by Richard Russo and so far I am loving it. True-to-life characters and some keen insight into middle age by Russo make this a page turner. I'm about 200 pages in after 2 days, hope the quality keeps up.

Anyone read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? It's getting a lot of hype & looks pretty interesting.
:excited: Finished World War Z not too long ago and just started "The Road". Also have read The Stand, I Am Legend, Cell, etc...

Think I may have a morbid obsession with the end of civilization, why do I find that so interesting?

Any other good ones in that vein to recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lehigh98 said:
:towelwave: Finished World War Z not too long ago and just started "The Road". Also have read The Stand, I Am Legend, Cell, etc...

Think I may have a morbid obsession with the end of civilization, why do I find that so interesting?

"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. It gets compared to "The Stand" all the time, but in a lot of ways I prefer it to "The Stand". It's grittier, for one. And it's post-nuke instead of post-virus, so the landscape/climate plays a much larger role. I'm 3/4 of the way through a re-read right now and, not having read it in 20 years, think it holds up really well.Jumping on "The Passage" when I get done with McCammon.

Lehigh98 said:
:confused: Finished World War Z not too long ago and just started "The Road". Also have read The Stand, I Am Legend, Cell, etc...

"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. It gets compared to "The Stand" all the time, but in a lot of ways I prefer it to "The Stand". It's grittier, for one. And it's post-nuke instead of post-virus, so the landscape/climate plays a much larger role. I'm 3/4 of the way through a re-read right now and, not having read it in 20 years, think it holds up really well.Jumping on "The Passage" when I get done with McCammon.
Warday by Whitley Streiber and another dude is worth a read.

Reading Under the Dome by King right now, about 1/3 through it. I was a huge King fan in my younger years but haven't read anything by him in awhile. My feel so far: Pros-pace of the book is fine, does a nice job of slowly introducing characters, easily understood, basic good vs evil premise, nice small town feel, I like how he both feeds key plot to the reader and not the characters as well as keeps other plot aspects from the reader while the characters know. A give and take that succeeds IMO. Cons-dialogue is heavy handed and downright laughable at times, some content/plot aspects are as if a macabre 17 year old wrote them. Both pros/cons are typical King if I remember right. I'm into the book so far, but feel sort of tense reading it.
I thought "Dome" was pretty good. Agree with you on the characters and the small town feel. You basically learn about everyone in the town (it's a big book). Character background and development was the best part of the book for me. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts upon finishing the book.
Finished Under the Dome, summary: pretty good book, average ending. One of, if not the best, villain he's done in Big Jim with other minor henchmen that were also good. Loved him as a character and he stayed true to himself from start to finish.Now reading "the China Study" by T. Collin Campbell that has a bunch of data and studies that show a plant based diet is way better than omnivore diet. My wife buys it, but as an informed athlete with generally good nutritional education, there are some broad-based results based on specific studies that may or may not fully apply. Not a bad book and educational in the studies conducted showing solid evidence on the benefits of plant diet.

Read Blockade Billy by Stephen King. Good story but kind of a money grab in my opinion. It really should have been in one of his short story books. I thought it was going to be a full novel when I ordered it. It has a second story in it called Morality which I had already read. I think Morality was in Esquire.

Not a true spoiler but if you dont want to know anything about the story then wait until you read it.

Thanks to this thread for picking out my book for a upcoming trip. I'm not that big of a book reader, maybe 3 or 4 a year and I've been meaning to read it for a couple of years now, but after the recent discussion I bought A Confederacy of Dunces

It's definately not my usual type of book as I like horror, thriller or history books but I'm really looking forward to it.

My wife's even less of a book reader but after she enjoyed Marley and Me I got her "The Art of Racing in the Wind"

Now I'm onto Empire Falls by Richard Russo and so far I am loving it. True-to-life characters and some keen insight into middle age by Russo make this a page turner. I'm about 200 pages in after 2 days, hope the quality keeps up.
This was a great read, I highly recommend. Pulitzer winner centered on characters in a small Maine town.Now onto The Echo Maker by Richard Powers, a National Book Award winner. Yeah, I pretty much allow the big awards committees to pick my contemporary fiction for me.

:lmao:
Started it yesterday and am about 4 chapters in. So far, each chapter has focused on a different character(s). They're still separate strands right now. Chapter Two is what has really sucked me in - it's one of those that's just a series of e-mails that get progressively stranger. The writing's pretty good so far, but I haven't gotten far enough to get a sense of how good Cronin is at characterization.

Just finished The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst. It really is terrific and about so much more than baseball. Though it has a ton of funny stories in it also.

:shrug: Finished World War Z not too long ago and just started "The Road". Also have read The Stand, I Am Legend, Cell, etc...

Canticle for Liebowitz. Other than The Road...it's the best piece of post-apocalyptic literature I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread