What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which secondaries will be the worst in 2018? (1 Viewer)

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
I'm trying to get a grasp on which secondaries are the most exploitable this year - whether it be due to personnel or preseason injuries.

From what I gather the consensus seems to include KC, TB, DAL, IND, SEA, MIA, BUF and CLE.

I know it's not cut and dry since the effectiveness of the back end of a defense is usually more so predicated on the pass rush then it is on talent but any input (especially the nuanced/detailed kind) is greatly appreciated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jets have a lot of potential talent on the back end, but no pass rush. I don't think this gives any WRs a major edge, but they are still very exploitable by the TEs and RBs. Williamson can't cover, Lee needs a compass to find his man or the ball, and the other LB position can't cover either. Jamal Adams is supposed to be good against TEs, but he's inconsistent at this point imo.

Miami will be improved in the secondary with Fitzpatrick and the addition of Robert Quinn will help the pass rush. The LBs are faster than in the past. Miami could be bad against the run with the loss of Suh and lighter LBs.

Soulfly3 said:
CLE? really?
These aren't my opinions, CLE just always pop up when I research the topic. I know they made a bunch of off season acquisitions, maybe it's more of an indictment of Greg Williams and organization as a whole?

Survivor7700 said:
I also don't think the Browns should be on this list. Bills are another secondary that are not awful with White, Poyer, Hyde, Davis, and Gaines.
Noted. I'll eventually update the OP.

Survivor7700 said:
I also don't think the Browns should be on this list. Bills are another secondary that are not awful with White, Poyer, Hyde, Davis, and Gaines.
Is the Browns secondary supposed to be a strength? All I hear about Ward is that he getting hurt tackling incorrectly. They are also relying on Randall. I think he is bad but only because @Sabertooth has been bashing him for years. Browns had the worst passer rating as a defense last year and GB was second worst. PFF has Peppers as a below average for 2017 but a prime bounce back candidate in 2018.

I dont know, I don't think Cleveland will be a bottom tier secondary like the Chiefs but I don't see much evidence that the secondary will be much improved from last year

If you go strictly by Clayton's SOS for WR's, here are the teams most likely to give up fantasy points to WR's...

In order, they are TB, KC, HOU, MIA, IND, CAR, NYJ, and GB

Obviously, these are not the 8 worst secondaries in the NFL.  These teams may have a bad secondary, or maybe they're really good against the rush, so teams opt to pass more against them.  Or maybe these teams are always ahead in the ball game, forcing junk time stats for opposing WR's.  Whatever the case may be, it isn't a coincidence that 4 on this list match with your list, or that the top 2 from this list are also the top 2 on your list.

If you go strictly by Clayton's SOS for WR's, here are the teams most likely to give up fantasy points to WR's...

In order, they are TB, KC, HOU, MIA, IND, CAR, NYJ, and GB

Obviously, these are not the 8 worst secondaries in the NFL.  These teams may have a bad secondary, or maybe they're really good against the rush, so teams opt to pass more against them.  Or maybe these teams are always ahead in the ball game, forcing junk time stats for opposing WR's.  Whatever the case may be, it isn't a coincidence that 4 on this list match with your list, or that the top 2 from this list are also the top 2 on your list.
think it is also good to look at teams that can potentially blow out weaker competition, thus letting up tons of passing yards in a 2nd half. Perfect example was 2 years ago with a Tenn-Jax game where Bortles threw for like 250 yards in the 2nd half and a couple of TDs (1st half was like negative fantasy points)

After doing some research, my current ranking is:

Worst Secondaries

Colts

Bucs

Browns

Panthers

Chiefs

Seattle

Packers

Miami

Raiders

Steelers

Jets

Is the Browns secondary supposed to be a strength? All I hear about Ward is that he getting hurt tackling incorrectly. They are also relying on Randall. I think he is bad but only because @Sabertooth has been bashing him for years. Browns had the worst passer rating as a defense last year and GB was second worst. PFF has Peppers as a below average for 2017 but a prime bounce back candidate in 2018.

I dont know, I don't think Cleveland will be a bottom tier secondary like the Chiefs but I don't see much evidence that the secondary will be much improved from last year
I think they are bound for an improvement. Will they be a Top 10 secondary Hell No but they will be an improvement. The Bills however will be a Top 10 Secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread