What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why should a passing TD be worth less than a rushing/receiving TD? (1 Viewer)

rexjak

Footballguy
EDIT:

My intention in the original posting (below) was to start a discussion about the radical skew towards RB's and the devaluation of QB's, which surprisingly does not seem to get a lot of attention in itself. In the footballguys rankings, the first QB doesn't appear until pick #19, and only 7% of the top 30 picks are QBs. I'm not suggesting that fantasy football is supposed to "mimic reality", but it seems bizarre to me that the most important and highest-paid position in football, the "field general" of the offense, is relegated to such a lowly position in the fantasy game, to the point where nearly every "expert" recites the mantra every year: "only guppies draft their QB's early."

Just seems that something is out of whack, doesn't it? Making all TD's 6 points is one way to help balance things out. Other methods have been suggested in the thread.

The flourishing diversity of scoring systems greatly enriches the strategic aspects of the game, providing opportunities for good players to gain an advantage over generic cheat sheet players. If you tweak your system to make QB's more valuable, it may take a few seasons for your fellow drafters to catch on to the impact of this in relative value. Take a top QB early, and enjoy seeing them scoff at your "guppy" move. Time will tell who the real guppies are.

ORIGINAL POSTING:

Why do most leagues score only 4 points for a passing TD? It's an arbitrary demotion, and it causes significant artificial devaluation of a QB relative to other positions. In the real game, elite QB's are the most important player on their teams, but in fantasy it is considered foolish to draft a QB early.

In our league we give 6 points for all TDs. That makes a huge difference in the value of the elite QB's. Last year, the top 3 QB's averaged 457 points in our scoring system, which was 105 points better than a #10 QB. By contrast, the top-3 RB's averaged only 74 points better than the #10 guy, even given the monster year that AP had.

The value of an elite QB is amplified in a large league like ours (16 teams). Nobody gets far in our playoffs unless they have a top QB. Our league has gotten wise to the fact. In each of the past 2 years, 8 QB's were taken in the first 2 rounds. Last year, the first 3 picks were 1. Rodgers 2. Foster 3. Brady. I traded up to the #6 overall pick to grab Brees, and rode him to the superbowl.

With 6-point passing TDs, QB's take their rightful place as high value players. And spending a top pick on a QB is safer than an RB, given the frequency of RB injuries.

This year I have the #2 overall pick. Most experts would say to pick D.Martin, even given our QB-friendly scoring. But I'm probably taking Brees.

Last edited by a moderator:
To balance position scoring since quarterbacks throw for far more touchdowns than any skill position player can ever catch/rush.

Most people prefer 4 point passing TD's.

What you prefer and choose to play is up to you.

The value of an elite QB is amplified in a large league like ours (16 teams). Nobody gets far in our playoffs unless they have a top QB.
You answered your own question. Same reason some leagues added PPR--to add more options for how you can successfully build a team.

My favorite league has 6-point passing TDs, but it's somewhat balanced internally by also having -3 for INTs and just 1 point/25 yards.

It's done because back in the old days, people didn't really understand the game of FF and they thought since QBs throw so many TDs compared to what other positions score, that it would make them too valuable if they were worth 6 points.

Of course that wasn't really the case. But it became normal to do it that way for awhile, so many people stuck with it. I understand there was a poll here on preferences and 4 pt TDs won, though last time MFL gave stats on their leagues (which was a few years back), more leagues actually use 6 pt TDs today.

It is what was referred to as The Kurt Warner Rule.

Traditionally all TDs were scored the same at 6 points. The first year the Rams were The Greatest Show On Turf, anybody who owned Warner dominated their league. To even the playing field, the following year most leagues reduced passing TDs from 6 to 4 points and as FF was starting to get popular, the 4 points per TD for QBs remained and became the standard.

QB's don't actually score touchdowns when they throw TD passes. They make good plays. If you doubt this, look at the scoring leaders in the NFL each year. This is like asking why safeties or field goals or blocked punts don't count six points in most systems. Because they're not touchdowns either.

QBs throw more touchdowns than are run in.

That is why.

Not saying I agree or disagree, as I play in two money leagues in both formats.

One could argue that qbs should get a point for every ten yards, just like rbs and wrs.

As long as its consistent it all evens out in the end.

Draft accordingly.

6pt passing TDs result in QBs having too much say in whether your team wins or loses each week. It becomes Brady vs Rodgers, etc. each week rather than Team vs Team.

It's simple. If you don't like it, feel free to bump your league back to the dark ages and go 6pts per PaTD.

You cut down QB scoring to 4pts because QBs score to many points.

Now they don't score enough points so you move your league to a start two QB league.

6pt passing TDs result in QBs having too much say in whether your team wins or loses each week. It becomes Brady vs Rodgers, etc. each week rather than Team vs Team.

It's simple. If you don't like it, feel free to bump your league back to the dark ages and go 6pts per PaTD.
Dark Ages? What?

Dark Ages? What?
Back in the days when Richard the Lionheart played FF with Saladin, passing TD's were worth 6 points.

Because the RB-RB-RB-RB-RB-WR-RB-RB-WR-QB drafts are so interesting and involve so much more strategy.

There's really no place for QBs in fantasy football.

You have to have more than just the 2 point difference to make 105 points difference between the top QBs and #10. 40 tds to about 25 tds is only a 30 point difference. 6 pt TD to 4 pt TDs really aren't that significant.

Just be thankful you didn't play in the olden days, when passing TDs were either worth NOTHING, or they were worth 3 points (sharing 3 points with the receiver).

This(going to 4 pts for passing TD's) is why I have drifted away from Fantasy Football. It's just not fun with the way you "younger" folks play now. 4 points for passing TD's?? PPR?? 1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving?? 5 points for "longer" FG's?? Since when are passing TD's in a football game worth 4 points and not 6 points for their team?? I don't ever remember seeing that in all my years of watching football. Maybe I have missed it?? When do teams get 5 for FG's that are longer than 40 yards?? Have I missed that too??

You younger folks, and the way you play the game now, has ruined a once great game that was started using pen and paper and USA today boxscores to score games(before computers), Fantasy games were won by scoring 35 points and you got points for TD's and bonus points at certain yardage increments. That was it.

I hope you are all proud of yourselves??

This(going to 4 pts for passing TD's) is why I have drifted away from Fantasy Football. It's just not fun with the way you "younger" folks play now. 4 points for passing TD's?? PPR?? 1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving?? 5 points for "longer" FG's?? Since when are passing TD's in a football game worth 4 points and not 6 points for their team?? I don't ever remember seeing that in all my years of watching football. Maybe I have missed it?? When do teams get 5 for FG's that are longer than 40 yards?? Have I missed that too??

You younger folks, and the way you play the game now, has ruined a once great game that was started using pen and paper and USA today boxscores to score games(before computers), Fantasy games were won by scoring 35 points and you got points for TD's and bonus points at certain yardage increments. That was it.

With possibly one exception, no quarterback has ever scored on a passing TD. EVER. (the one exception was a tipped ball that the QB caught and scored). You may have been watching football, but you didn't understand the game.

With possibly one exception, no quarterback has ever scored on a passing TD. EVER. (the one exception was a tipped ball that the QB caught and scored). You may have been watching football, but you didn't understand the game.

To explain it a little more fully, in case you missed it. A TD is scored when the person in possession of the ball crosses the plane of the goal line, or makes a legal catch within the goal zone.. Not when the QB wings it across.

Love it. My 1st league was no points for yardage until 100 for RBs / WRs ( 3 pts) and 300 for QBs (5 pts). All TDs 6 pts. And all figured out with next days newspaper.

Now get off my lawn you whippersnappers!!

You have to have more than just the 2 point difference to make 105 points difference between the top QBs and #10. 40 tds to about 25 tds is only a 30 point difference. 6 pt TD to 4 pt TDs really aren't that significant.
We give 1 point per 20 yards passing and -2 per turnover.

Brees (#1): 5177 yards, 44 TDs, 20 turnovers. 475 points.

Stafford (#10): 4967 yards, 24 TDs, 21 turnovers. 353 points.

Traditionally all TDs were scored the same at 6 points. The first year the Rams were The Greatest Show On Turf, anybody who owned Warner dominated their league. To even the playing field, the following year most leagues reduced passing TDs from 6 to 4 points and as FF was starting to get popular, the 4 points per TD for QBs remained and became the standard.
This practice predates Kurt Warner by some time.

Top scorer in our league the past two years took QBs in the 7th-8th rounds and took Calvin in the first.

FYI...the dark ages it was 3. Evolved to 4 and some have moved to 6. Don't let reality get in the way of your rant though.

This is not true. I started playing FF in the 80s and every publication based rankings on QBs getting 3 points per TD. In the 90s, as the internet started coming around, there was a bump to 4 pts and some places started scoring them at 6. This was all before Warner & the Rams. Now, you see at least as many 6 pt leagues on-line as any other (Zealots, for one, scores passing TDs at 6 and has for the last 10 years).

In any case, it doesn't matter all that much what you score passing TDs at (barring something extreme) UNLESS your league can flex a 2nd QB.

1999. Kurt Warner 4353/41

Steve Beuerlein 4436/36

1986. Dan Marino 4746/44

Boomer Esiason 3959/24

1984. Dan Marino 5084/48

Dave Krieg 3671/32

Neil Lomax 4614/28

It wasn't created because Kurt was so much better than his contemporaries, as people have already pointed out. But had that been a concern, do you really think Warner would have been the catalyst, and not someone, oh, a little before him?

Why do most leagues score only 4 points for a passing TD? It's an arbitrary demotion, and it causes significant artificial devaluation of a QB relative to other positions. In the real game, elite QB's are the most important player on their teams, but in fantasy it is considered foolish to draft a QB early.

In our league we give 6 points for all TDs. That makes a huge difference in the value of the elite QB's. Last year, the top 3 QB's averaged 457 points in our scoring system, which was 105 points better than a #10 QB. By contrast, the top-3 RB's averaged only 74 points better than the #10 guy, even given the monster year that AP had.

The value of an elite QB is amplified in a large league like ours (16 teams). Nobody gets far in our playoffs unless they have a top QB. Our league has gotten wise to the fact. In each of the past 2 years, 8 QB's were taken in the first 2 rounds. Last year, the first 3 picks were 1. Rodgers 2. Foster 3. Brady. I traded up to the #6 overall pick to grab Brees, and rode him to the superbowl.

With 6-point passing TDs, QB's take their rightful place as high value players. And spending a top pick on a QB is safer than an RB, given the frequency of RB injuries.

This year I have the #2 overall pick. Most experts would say to pick D.Martin, even given our QB-friendly scoring. But I'm probably taking Brees.
You even say outright in your post why it's usually 4 instead of 6.

If you need an elite QB to win in your league, then not getting an elite QB almost makes the entire process worthless. It's the same as the LT or Faulk years. RNG for draft order predicts who will probably win because of the scoring system isn't very friendly to the people who get unlucky at the back end of the first round.

4pt/TD and PPR help balance out the back half of the first round because you're already missing on the top tier elite players. It also opens up more ways to draft your teams.

You even say outright in your post why it's usually 4 instead of 6.

If you need an elite QB to win in your league, then not getting an elite QB almost makes the entire process worthless. It's the same as the LT or Faulk years. RNG for draft order predicts who will probably win because of the scoring system isn't very friendly to the people who get unlucky at the back end of the first round.

4pt/TD and PPR help balance out the back half of the first round because you're already missing on the top tier elite players. It also opens up more ways to draft your teams.
You don't need an elite QB to win a 6 point PATD league. I would argue that 4 pt PATDs does more to skew the balance to the front end of the draft and 6 point PATDs balances it out.

It's a 6/TD AND 1/20 passing Yds. The gap between the elite QBs who don't throw picks and say Romo is pretty large.

Past the first 2 or 3 rounds everyone has a shot at almost any player. And starting with that big of a lead on a few guys in your league who can draft RB/RB at the tail end if the first is a huge deal. In his league it's especially true.

With his scoring system, Brees/Rodgers/Manning followed by 2 RB at the 2/3 turn is a lot of points to make up for the team trotting Romo out there weekly.

4 for passing TD and 6 for rushing TD leagues make QBs like RG3, Kaep, Wilson, and Vick more valuable and a better bargain in the later rounds.

The guy throwing the touchdown pass, did not score any points on the play. Be glad your QB is getting any points for throwing a touchdown.

It's a 6/TD AND 1/20 passing Yds. The gap between the elite QBs who don't throw picks and say Romo is pretty large.

Past the first 2 or 3 rounds everyone has a shot at almost any player. And starting with that big of a lead on a few guys in your league who can draft RB/RB at the tail end if the first is a huge deal. In his league it's especially true.

With his scoring system, Brees/Rodgers/Manning followed by 2 RB at the 2/3 turn is a lot of points to make up for the team trotting Romo out there weekly.
We have a similar scoring system. 6 point TDs (3 point bonus for TD@50+ yds), .04 pts/yd, no int penalty. I won't consider a QB until probably the 8th or 9th.

The guy throwing the touchdown pass, did not score any points on the play. Be glad your QB is getting any points for throwing a touchdown.
I don't understand this post. What is the purpose of saying this?

QBs have ALWAYS scored points throwing TDs, otherwise the position would be worthless.

QBs have ALWAYS scored points throwing TDs, otherwise the position would be worthless.
The point is that RB's and WR's score six points in fantasy because six points is what a touchdown scores. QB scoring in fantasy is made arbitrary in order to balance the game, because there is no on-field correlate as points aren't awarded to a QB by the NFL.

I've never understood the allure of giving 4 points for passing TD's. On the simplest level, a TD is worth 6 points and it should be scored that way. On a practical level, why would you want to devalue QB's so much? Why is it ideal to have a draft where RB's are the top 12 players off the board? With PPR, QB's are less valued. You would think that most leagues would want to balance the scoring so QB's, RB's, and WR's were all valuable. There are plenty of ways to do this, with a 6 point passing TD being a good start.

Six point passing TD's have been around for a long time. Back in the late 90's, as the internet was rapidly gaining new users, Sandbox was the largest fantasy sports site, and I know 6 point passing TD's were the default scoring method there. I would have thought 6 points would have stuck given that a lot of the early adopters used it.

In my important league, we do 6 point passing TD's with (-4) for interceptions and a few other minor changes to adjust WR/RB value. We always have QB's, WR's and RB's drafted in the first round, and there are a lot more options with regards to team building which makes for a more enjoyable game.

Warner did indeed have a great year but the main reason the Warner owners won the alot of leagues that year is he came out of nowhere to di it. He wasnt even drafted in my league and Id bet he was a free agent in most. If the number 1 running back or wide receiver were picked up on the waiver wire it would be a huge advantage as well.

I've never understood the allure of giving 4 points for passing TD's. On the simplest level, a TD is worth 6 points and it should be scored that way. On a practical level, why would you want to devalue QB's so much? Why is it ideal to have a draft where RB's are the top 12 players off the board? With PPR, QB's are less valued. You would think that most leagues would want to balance the scoring so QB's, RB's, and WR's were all valuable. There are plenty of ways to do this, with a 6 point passing TD being a good start.

Six point passing TD's have been around for a long time. Back in the late 90's, as the internet was rapidly gaining new users, Sandbox was the largest fantasy sports site, and I know 6 point passing TD's were the default scoring method there. I would have thought 6 points would have stuck given that a lot of the early adopters used it.

In my important league, we do 6 point passing TD's with (-4) for interceptions and a few other minor changes to adjust WR/RB value. We always have QB's, WR's and RB's drafted in the first round, and there are a lot more options with regards to team building which makes for a more enjoyable game.
LeVeon Bell rated higher than Tom Brady prior to injury on FBG. Tells you all you need to know about how warped and outdated traditional leagues are, stuck in the geriatric mindset that FF is all about RB. And I guess we should draft QBs too. If we must. But dear god, not before I have 6 RBs on my rotation.

Since most leagues start 2 RB's you should probably compare the #1 RB to the #20 RB.

As others have said, 4 points per touchdown is used to balance out the scoring among positions. Otherwise a very good day by a running back and/or wide receiver would be more than offset by a fluke 5 touchdown day by a QB.

In a PPR league using 1 point for 10 yards rushing/receiving, 1 point 25 yards passing, -1 interception, 6 points for rushing and receiving TD's and only 4 for passing consider the following.

Running Back: 100 yards rushing, 2 touchdowns, 3 catches for 30 yards

Wide Receiver: 6 catches for 100 yards and 2 touchdowns

Quarterback: 10 yards rushing, 300 yards passing with 4 touchdowns and 1 interception

In all three cases each player would get 28 fantasy points. Now if you give a QB 6 points for touchdown he 36 points which means the RB would now have to rush for 180 yards to cancel that out. So the RB would need a great game to offset an very good game by the QB. At 4 points per touchdown pass the QB would need 400 yards passing and 5 touchdowns to match a 180 yard rushing day.

If you think all touchdown passes should be worth 6 points then shouldn't all yards be worth 1/10th point?

I realize some people prefer 6 points for all TD's but I like the balance that a 4 point league provides better. In a 6 point per TD pass league I bet if you draft late in the 1st round or you top QB gets hurt you pretty much have no chance for success. In a 4 point league at least you'll still have a chance.

I play in two leagues, one with 6 points per TD pass and one with 4 points per TD pass. in the 6 point league I had the 12th pick and all of the good QB's were taken. I went with AP and Megatron at 1.12 and 2.1 and took Gronkowski at 3.12. I ended up winning that league mainly because i got lucky at 6.1 with RGIII and later got Russell Wilson through free agency. In my 4 point league I took Dree Brees in the 1st but missed the playoffs because my RB and WR were not good enough. With 6 points per TD pass I probably would have made the playoffs on the strength of one player. Personally I prefer the TEAM effort that a 4 point league requires.

Since most leagues start 2 RB's you should probably compare the #1 RB to the #20 RB.

As others have said, 4 points per touchdown is used to balance out the scoring among positions. Otherwise a very good day by a running back and/or wide receiver would be more than offset by a fluke 5 touchdown day by a QB.

In a PPR league using 1 point for 10 yards rushing/receiving, 1 point 25 yards passing, -1 interception, 6 points for rushing and receiving TD's and only 4 for passing consider the following.

Running Back: 100 yards rushing, 2 touchdowns, 3 catches for 30 yards

Wide Receiver: 6 catches for 100 yards and 2 touchdowns

Quarterback: 10 yards rushing, 300 yards passing with 4 touchdowns and 1 interception

In all three cases each player would get 28 fantasy points. Now if you give a QB 6 points for touchdown he 36 points which means the RB would now have to rush for 180 yards to cancel that out. So the RB would need a great game to offset an very good game by the QB. At 4 points per touchdown pass the QB would need 400 yards passing and 5 touchdowns to match a 180 yard rushing day.

If you think all touchdown passes should be worth 6 points then shouldn't all yards be worth 1/10th point?

I realize some people prefer 6 points for all TD's but I like the balance that a 4 point league provides better. In a 6 point per TD pass league I bet if you draft late in the 1st round or you top QB gets hurt you pretty much have no chance for success. In a 4 point league at least you'll still have a chance.

I play in two leagues, one with 6 points per TD pass and one with 4 points per TD pass. in the 6 point league I had the 12th pick and all of the good QB's were taken. I went with AP and Megatron at 1.12 and 2.1 and took Gronkowski at 3.12. I ended up winning that league mainly because i got lucky at 6.1 with RGIII and later got Russell Wilson through free agency. In my 4 point league I took Dree Brees in the 1st but missed the playoffs because my RB and WR were not good enough. With 6 points per TD pass I probably would have made the playoffs on the strength of one player. Personally I prefer the TEAM effort that a 4 point league requires.
The guy won our league (and was top scorer) last year with Calvin/Graham in the first two rounds and took his first QB in the 7th. Sounds to me like in your four point league you blew it by taking a QB early as 4 points devalues the top QBs VBD.

All those QBs going in the first round of your 6 pointy league and you still managed to take an injured ADP with the 13th pick?

I was writing about real football. If Eli Manning throws a touchdown pass, he does not score any points. Only one player can score points on a particular play.

I was writing about real football. If Eli Manning throws a touchdown pass, he does not score any points. Only one player can score points on a particular play.
So you play in TD only leagues?

What about any of my posts would make you think that?

Seriously?

Seriously?
Yes, seriously. What about my posts would make you think I play in TD-only leagues?

I wrote nothing about what type of leagues I play in or what settings I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread