What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (2 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
Not the word I was thinking of.

Imagine walking around using 10 words when 5 will do. Using words that nobody understands. And then complaining that everyone you meet thinks you're a pretentious jerk. 

If it was me, I'd take it out on strangers on a random message board too.  
Here's one of which you may not fully appreciate the meaning.

I bet it did not hurt you one bit to do so.
It did result in some subconscious process that my brain filed away "fulminating" somewhere in the neighborhood of "frumious" which in turn caused me to wonder if I still knew all of the words to Jabberwocky.   Turns out I do.  So it did waste quite a bit more time than I expected.

If you are going to take the trouble perhaps you would consider changing pretentious jerk to boorish mooncalf.
No, I'm good with that part of my post. Pretentious jerk is a term that I, as well as others, are familiar with. Boorish mooncalf may be mistaken for a compliment by those that don't understand it's meaning. I'm trying to reach a larger audience. 

No, I'm good with that part of my post. Pretentious jerk is a term that I, as well as others, are familiar with. Boorish mooncalf may be mistaken for a compliment by those that don't understand it's meaning. I'm trying to reach a larger audience. 
No worries.  I have been a bit truculent the past few days.  I have no problem with you being you, as I think you know.  Also, I am often in agreement with your points, if not the manner of delivery of the points. Keep performing the valuable service of raising issues, though I would encourage considering some new analogies, my reason being it is difficult to hear the reasoning behind analogies that may have grown overly familiar.

You are good people in my book.  Hell I was poking at you a bit and you kept it in good humor, not something everyone manages.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this has a bit to do with it.  Look back at the books written 50+ years ago, the language used, and the age we were reading them.  
Books? Look at movies, TV, news (written or television). It's all gone downhill. 

But, if you think the answer is to use an expanded vocabulary on a message board while discussing the validity of an AR15. Well then, there's no hope for you. 

No worries.  I have been a bit truculent the past few days.  I have no problem with you being you, s I think you know.  Also, I am often in agreement with your points, with not the manner of delivery of the points. Keep performing the valuable service of raising issues though I would encourage considering some new analogies, my reason being it is difficult to hear the reasoning behind analogies that may have grown overly familiar.

You are good people in my book.  Hell I was poking at you a bit and you kept it in good humor, not something everyone manages.   
People are going to be the way they are going to be. I can't change that. I either accept them for who they are, or move on. I, unlike others, do not have a long list of people on ignore. (it stands at 1 person currently)  I may not agree with people 99 out of 100 times. But, that one time I may learn something.  I think that tolerance holds a greater value than the ability to create a  post that looks like a  thesaurus. 

As to my analogies. They too, are what they are. I've posted many times about the tragedies of alcohol in this country. I've posted about the effects alcohol have on violence and families. If one person on this board altered their plan, and perhaps it saved one life, then being the butt of the joke is fine with me. If others find it pointless, because of the comparison, then that's something their conscience will have to carry. 

People are going to be the way they are going to be. I can't change that. I either accept them for who they are, or move on. I, unlike others, do not have a long list of people on ignore. (it stands at 1 person currently)  I may not agree with people 99 out of 100 times. But, that one time I may learn something.  I think that tolerance holds a greater value than the ability to create a  post that looks like a  thesaurus. 

As to my analogies. They too, are what they are. I've posted many times about the tragedies of alcohol in this country. I've posted about the effects alcohol have on violence and families. If one person on this board altered their plan, and perhaps it saved one life, then being the butt of the joke is fine with me. If others find it pointless, because of the comparison, then that's something their conscience will have to carry. 
Unicuique sua.

Him alone?  No, of course not.

Him and a few million others? Yes.

The notion that the entire point of the 2nd amendment is moot because no one person can't defend against the US Army is ridiculous.
Never said alone - you will never get a few million people and honestly I'm not sure if you did that you wouldn't have just as many rise up on the other side.  It's never happening - so yes, a well armed militia to throw over the tyrannic government is nonsense.

Never said alone - you will never get a few million people and honestly I'm not sure if you did that you wouldn't have just as many rise up on the other side.  It's never happening - so yes, a well armed militia to throw over the tyrannic government is nonsense.
A few million with AR15s might be able to take out a few thousand drones before the drones take them all out completely.

Would be entertaining to watch at least.

And even if they do succeed at beating the drones, they would be so weakened by the end that whatever the US military wanted to send in next would be the end of them. 

A few million with AR15s might be able to take out a few thousand drones before the drones take them all out completely.

And even if they do succeed at beating the drones, they would be so weakened by the end that whatever the US military wanted to send in next would be the end of them. 
Standing in a pitched battle with the U.S. military is madness.  Preventing occupation of territory by the military for ongoing purposes would certainly be severely complicated by the number of armed citizens that would have to be policed, or at least it theoretically would.  I say theoretically because most would turn over their firearms to an occupying military quite expeditiously rather than face the consequences for having not done so, super patriots like Tom Brady aside. 

Standing in a pitched battle with the U.S. military is madness.  Preventing occupation of territory by the military for ongoing purposes would certainly be severely complicated by the number of armed citizens that would have to be policed, or at least it theoretically would.  I say theoretically because most would turn over their firearms to an occupying military quite expeditiously rather than face the consequences for having not done so, super patriots like Tom Brady aside. 
The only way the US military would be beaten is if the rebellion has support from many other countries militaries. At that point all the AR15s the people brought to the arsenal would be utilized as much as the US military uses them.... which is to say, they don't. 

Re: AR15

Heard a guy call into a talk radio show with the argument you need these because "what are you going to do if 10 guys invade your house?".  :mellow:

ETA

Also the same old "where will it end" argument.  I was screaming at the radio "you're not allowed to have rocket launchers or nukes either right?!".  He also threw in, repeatedly, "people in Russia and Venzuala gave up their guns now look at them".  Also my personal favorite "look at all of the knife attacks in England. See, people still attack each other.  If they had guns they wouldn't be knifed". 

FFS

I'll never get a million years how the solution is always more guns.

Problem

You have cancer

Solution

More cancer

Problem

Your house is on fire

Solution

More fire

Problem

Too much debt

Solution

More debt

Problem

Too many kids

Solution

More kids

On and on you could go.

The only way the US military would be beaten is if the rebellion has support from many other countries militaries. At that point all the AR15s the people brought to the arsenal would be utilized as much as the US military uses them.... which is to say, they don't. 
They might also relinquish their stance on occupying the homeland and fighting against their fellow Americans.  Then again, they may not.  I was playing Devil's advocate, looking for any semblance of relationship, no matter how distant to the original intent and purpose. As a practical matter I am probably 99% in agreement with you on this issue and most permutations of it, as you already know.

I'll never get a million years how the solution is always more guns.

Problem

You have cancer

Solution

More cancer

Problem

Your house is on fire

Solution

More fire

Problem

Too much debt

Solution

More debt

Problem

Too many kids

Solution

More kids

On and on you could go.
I think I may have an exception that proves the rule.

Problem

I am way too high!

Solution

Here, drink this, it will chill you out.

The only way the US military is beaten in an armed insurrection is if the US military lays down their weapons and stands down instead of massacring the populace.

That article doesn't really explain why another gun wouldn't have worked in that situation. 
I agree.  With multiple people in a room a shotgun would not have worked unless you were using slugs which are not near as accurate as an AR-15.  A handgun could have worked, but again an AR-15 is more accurate and easier to control than a handgun.

I agree.  With multiple people in a room a shotgun would not have worked unless you were using slugs which are not near as accurate as an AR-15.  A handgun could have worked, but again an AR-15 is more accurate and easier to control than a handgun.
Can you expand on the bolded and why that would be the case?

Can you expand on the bolded and why that would be the case?
Inside a house and at short distances I don't feel the accuracy of the AR vs handgun round or a slug would matter much (assuming 30' or less).  But the low weight, low recoil, smaller grip and lighter trigger pull of an AR I could see being very beneficial to the woman shooter from a stability and control aspect. 

I have seen women miss the target from 10 yards with a 9mm Beretta but never with an AR.  And these were non-hostile situations.

My buddy used a couple to peacefully deter potential looters at his business in downtown Fayetteville, NC. The protests there weren't too bad, but they did damage several businesses in the area before they headed over to the mall.

I wanted to illustrate a responsible use of these weapons. 

My buddy used a couple to peacefully deter potential looters at his business in downtown Fayetteville, NC. The protests there weren't too bad, but they did damage several businesses in the area before they headed over to the mall.

I wanted to illustrate a responsible use of these weapons. 
This is a good example. Many times I wonder when one would be needed, after seeing the brutal beating of business owners last night I guess these sad circumstances would apply. Sad times. 

Huge Spike In Americans Buying F-15s After Biden Suggests You'll Need Them To Overthrow Government

U.S.—The nation scrambled to buy F-15s and nuclear weapons after President Biden said in a speech Wednesday that you'll never beat a government unless you have the fighter jets and intercontinental ballistic missiles.

All over the nation, American citizens were seen parking their brand-new F-15s in their driveways and garages. Some wealthier Americans purchased the F-22, while less fortunate citizens were forced to buy the F-35 joint fighter. But no matter what craft they chose, American citizens said they were just glad to finally be protected against a tyrannical government.

"I need an F-15 to beat the government? Say no more, fam!" said one man in New Hampshire as he happily rushed out to his local F-15 dealer to pick up the latest model. "Before, I thought my AR-15 would be enough, but when Biden pointed out that the U.S. government has fighter jets and I only have an assault rifle, I realized I really needed to beef up my anti-tyranny defense systems."

"Thanks, Mr. Biden! I sure am glad you reminded me of how brutal a government can be against its own citizens and how governments throughout history have in fact attacked their own people once they are disarmed and helpless."

The man was later seen picking up an M1 Abrams tank.
https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-starts-stocking-up-on-f-15s-after-biden-says-youll-need-them-to-overthrow-the-government

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread