What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Butler of Arcade Fire has a new record out. Anyone hear it? (1 Viewer)

culdeus said:
Sorry, this reflector song is not good. It's one of those songs you hear once, and you are like wow this could be real good. A second time you listen to it and find out there isn't much there and then you see it on SNL and realize it was just a bunch of over-produced studio junk that can't carry live. Not my thing.

Sorry for the troll. Just calling it like I see it.
:goodposting:

That LCD Snoresystem guy gets involved, it's a lead pipe lock of the century that it's going to stink.

Let's wait to hear the rest of the record. I wasn't wild about Ready to Start and title track which I recall being leaked prior to the The Suburbs. Turned out that was a brilliant record.

I think of people who say a record is "dropping" kind of like Costanza pushing Soda and Seven as names for babies.

I thought Reflektor sounded awful live on SNL and I don't need all the weirdness of that special and whatnot but I really liked all the songs they debuted and am more excited for this album than I was a week ago. :shrug:

I'm not sure I'll really want to see them live though, I can kind of see this being a great studio album that doesn't translate to the tour.
The Wake Up encore more than justifies the price of admission to an AF show.

My good friend is behind the Arcade Fire show at "her house" at 299 Meserole in Bushwick on 10/19. She's pretty big in the music industry... will be hanging all access at Pearl Jam at Barclays and is working the CMJ Fest. Not sure what she means by "her house"... if she lives upstairs from the gallery, or she just hangs at the gallery. Texted her but she's in meetings much of the day.

My good friend is behind the Arcade Fire show at "her house" at 299 Meserole in Bushwick on 10/19. She's pretty big in the music industry... will be hanging all access at Pearl Jam at Barclays and is working the CMJ Fest. Not sure what she means by "her house"... if she lives upstairs from the gallery, or she just hangs at the gallery. Texted her but she's in meetings much of the day.
I'll be down there Friday night. Are you going?

Reflektor gets better every time i hear it.

I didn't like the snl mix though either. The songs on the special were all money. The album will kick ###.

Naw I'm flying up but I'll be in boston for a wedding. You square on tickets?

I will know tomorrow at 10:00 am. I will be driving from Providence to N.Y. on Friday afternoon and then back to R.I. shortly after the show if you need a ride up to Boston.

I will know tomorrow at 10:00 am. I will be driving from Providence to N.Y. on Friday afternoon and then back to R.I. shortly after the show if you need a ride up to Boston.
I appreciate it but should be good. Let me know how the tickets go. I may not have any pull if you strike out but may be able to see what I can do.

I appreciate it but should be good. Let me know how the tickets go. I may not have any pull if you strike out but may be able to see what I can do.
Thanks, I appreciate that. The big question is what the helz am I going to do for a costume. I wish I knew how to make the giant heads like in the Reflektor video. I wounder what would happen if I showed up wearing "the Shocker" costume from that site in the Halloween thread. That would be pretty funny.

Did anyone get tickets on the presale? I was trying for Saturday night on ticketmaster but couldn't get it done. I was able to get Friday after the fact so it worked out. Tomorrow morning all four shows will be on sale for everyone. Do we have any Arcade Fire fan FBG's in Brooklyn here?

Did anyone get tickets on the presale? I was trying for Saturday night on ticketmaster but couldn't get it done. I was able to get Friday after the fact so it worked out. Tomorrow morning all four shows will be on sale for everyone. Do we have any Arcade Fire fan FBG's in Brooklyn here?
I have tickets to Pearl Jam on Friday and can't do Saturday so didn't try to get them. Hopefully this pre-sale thing comes in handy when they announce a larger tour.

Things that should be dropped:

- Turds

- Balls or Nuts

- Hot cakes (or, hot potatoes)

- Bodies (dead or otherwise)

- Names

- Tears

- Tony Romo

Things that should NOT be dropped:

- New records

- Babies

- Names

- Philip Rivers

Things that should be dropped:

- Turds

- Balls or Nuts

- Hot cakes (or, hot potatoes)

- Bodies (dead or otherwise)

- Names

- Tears

- Tony Romo

Things that should NOT be dropped:

- New records

- Babies

- Names

- Philip Rivers
:subscribe:

Add to first list - panties

I'm going to be in New York for the weekend but didn't try for tickets. The costume/formal thing doesn't really appeal to me and I have a feeling these shows will be very heavy on the new stuff, I'll wait for them to come back to Toronto.

After an hour and a half of Ticketmaster refreshing I got shut out for Saturday's show. Now at least my blood pressure will drop back to a normal level. I hate ticketmaster by the way.

still haven't heard the first song you boys have heard. Where might one find this? The innernets? Radio? Cassette? Where can I get this to drop into my ears?

still haven't heard the first song you boys have heard. Where might one find this? The innernets? Radio? Cassette? Where can I get this to drop into my ears?
I'm sure you can stream it off their website. iTunes sells it for a dollar. Or there is a youtube video too. I'd wear headphones. There is a lot going on.

How was the show?

This is now "out there" if you know where to look. On my 2nd listen and absolutely loving it so far. I'll still be buying a physical copy next week. :thumbup: :thumbup:

"Normal Person" is a pretty good song. Few others too that are :headbang: This video is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtdUPZLVFY

I am not sure I can listen to this album start to finish much. I don't know how to exactly describe why, but "saturation" sticks in my head. Might be the "overproduced" thing. For me, it will be good in short blasts imo. :shrug:

I'm going to be in New York for the weekend but didn't try for tickets. The costume/formal thing doesn't really appeal to me and I have a feeling these shows will be very heavy on the new stuff, I'll wait for them to come back to Toronto.
FBG Toronto Arcade Fire cornhole?

How was the show?
The show was great but had some controversy. It was a cool scene overall with probably 1500 people in the building and a lot of excitement. Most of the crowd there scored tickets with the pre sale code so it was obviously hard core fans. It was costume or formal attire mandatory as someone mentioned but that only added to the fun. I drove down from R.I. real early and met my buddy there in Bushwick. We parked behind the 299 building and walked around a bit. It was a pretty gritty area with work trucks and white vans everywhere. There was a pretty good size line hours in advance and we probably were around 100th when we jumped in at 7:00. We were able to get fifth row center when the doors finally opened at around 8:30 and we were still standing there at 9:30ish waiting for it to start. It was hot but everyone was sharing so it wasn't bad. At that time that Murphy LCD guy came out and said that some band members were late and they were going to start w/o them. As soon as the big headed musicians came out I knew something was up. I started looking around and then I realized there was a big black curtain behind the side/back wall. I told my buddy to go but i was too late. The music started thirty seconds later, the curtain dropped, and the front row was back and the back row was front. There was a surge of pushing that was scary and dangerous for a short time but then it settled down. The music sounded good but the crowd was agitated. At the end of the set the band walked off but everyone just stood there for waiting for an encore that never came. After this went on for fifteen minutes or so Win actually came back on stage and said they were done playing but were going to hangout and dance with everyone and have a good time. The crowd started BOOING. I was shocked and so was Win. He said if that was not good enough then you could just leave and then he disappeared into the crowd. We hung around for another ten minutes or so but it was hot and the band was out of sight it seemed so we left. As we got close to the back of the building I noticed there were some people hanging out around my car and I thought we might have some trouble. We were still pretty far away and it was dark, but it was all good when I heard the voice that is in my house every day. It was frikin Will and Win hanging at my car. I honestly was so shocked I didn't even know what to say. So I did the first thing that came to mind from many years of living in a fraternity house and that was to pop the trunk and open the coolers! I drove up solo and hit Whole Foods on the way so I was pretty stocked. I even had Tequila and Margarita mix for gods sake. Surprisingly they passed up the drinks but Win was eyeing my PBJ so I hooked him up. Will was just giggling the whole time. The Haitian percussion guy took a chicken salad and it was all good. Win was upset about being booed, so I had to step in and explain that they were probably just dirty front running Yanks booing in there, and that the true fans really appreciated the night and the presale codes. He really seemed to be taking in my reassurance and getting happier which was surprising to me. Dude is sensitive but he's my boy. I again thanked them for everything and added that I really enjoyed the funked up Power Out running into HCTNT earlier. I also told them how I thought they were better then U2 up at Moncton and Will again thought that was funny. Maybe he was just high. I don't know but it was a cool night with a fun ending. I can't wait to road trip the east and Canada when they are back. I love It's Never Over from the new record btw. And they sounded great at Capitol Records tonight if anyone can find the mp3 of it. Good times!

So they trick the crowd into thinking the stage is going to be somewhere it is not, don't play an encore and then are confused about why they got booed? A friend of mine was working the show and knew aboiut the stage switch. He saw people who had been waiting outside for hours for a good spot be ecstatic as they got what they thought to be rail spots, only to ultimately be in the back behind some people who wandered in at set time. I love AF, but that whole thing seems like a poorly thought out operation.

So they trick the crowd into thinking the stage is going to be somewhere it is not, don't play an encore and then are confused about why they got booed? A friend of mine was working the show and knew aboiut the stage switch. He saw people who had been waiting outside for hours for a good spot be ecstatic as they got what they thought to be rail spots, only to ultimately be in the back behind some people who wandered in at set time. I love AF, but that whole thing seems like a poorly thought out operation.
I think they would agree with you. It was kinda funny but I was in the exact wrong crowd surge spot so that pretty much took the fun out of that. I was talking to a bunch of the door guys and they were cool. I was just restful that I got a code and I could attend a small show for cheap money. It was a great night.

Somebody is obviously trying to get noticed. Most rated it pretty solid with pitchfork giving a 9.2. I like most of it a lot but I can see how some will hate it. It's different, that's for sure. it's Never Over is already an all timer for me. Spinning it on a good sounding system is the key for me.

Yeah, this, the setlists I've seen, the costumes/formal wear make me so glad I didn't shell out for one of these. A couple listens to their album and my knee jerk reaction is it's their 3rd or 4th best. I do like "Normal Person" and a few others, but it also runs a bit long for my liking.

FBG Toronto Arcade Fire cornhole?
:thumbup: As long as it's an Arcade Fire concert and not a "Reflektors" concert.

How was the show?
The show was great but had some controversy. It was a cool scene overall with probably 1500 people in the building and a lot of excitement. Most of the crowd there scored tickets with the pre sale code so it was obviously hard core fans. It was costume or formal attire mandatory as someone mentioned but that only added to the fun.

I drove down from R.I. real early and met my buddy there in Bushwick. We parked behind the 299 building and walked around a bit. It was a pretty gritty area with work trucks and white vans everywhere. There was a pretty good size line hours in advance and we probably were around 100th when we jumped in at 7:00. We were able to get fifth row center when the doors finally opened at around 8:30 and we were still standing there at 9:30ish waiting for it to start. It was hot but everyone was sharing so it wasn't bad. At that time that Murphy LCD guy came out and said that some band members were late and they were going to start w/o them.

As soon as the big headed musicians came out I knew something was up. I started looking around and then I realized there was a big black curtain behind the side/back wall. I told my buddy to go but i was too late. The music started thirty seconds later, the curtain dropped, and the front row was back and the back row was front. There was a surge of pushing that was scary and dangerous for a short time but then it settled down. The music sounded good but the crowd was agitated. At the end of the set the band walked off but everyone just stood there for waiting for an encore that never came.

After this went on for fifteen minutes or so Win actually came back on stage and said they were done playing but were going to hangout and dance with everyone and have a good time. The crowd started BOOING. I was shocked and so was Win. He said if that was not good enough then you could just leave and then he disappeared into the crowd. We hung around for another ten minutes or so but it was hot and the band was out of sight it seemed so we left. As we got close to the back of the building I noticed there were some people hanging out around my car and I thought we might have some trouble.

We were still pretty far away and it was dark, but it was all good when I heard the voice that is in my house every day. It was frikin Will and Win hanging at my car. I honestly was so shocked I didn't even know what to say. So I did the first thing that came to mind from many years of living in a fraternity house and that was to pop the trunk and open the coolers! I drove up solo and hit Whole Foods on the way so I was pretty stocked. I even had Tequila and Margarita mix for gods sake. Surprisingly they passed up the drinks but Win was eyeing my PBJ so I hooked him up. Will was just giggling the whole time. The Haitian percussion guy took a chicken salad and it was all good. Win was upset about being booed, so I had to step in and explain that they were probably just dirty front running Yanks booing in there, and that the true fans really appreciated the night and the presale codes. He really seemed to be taking in my reassurance and getting happier which was surprising to me. Dude is sensitive but he's my boy.

I again thanked them for everything and added that I really enjoyed the funked up Power Out running into HCTNT earlier. I also told them how I thought they were better then U2 up at Moncton and Will again thought that was funny. Maybe he was just high. I don't know but it was a cool night with a fun ending. I can't wait to road trip the east and Canada when they are back. I love It's Never Over from the new record btw. And they sounded great at Capitol Records tonight if anyone can find the mp3 of it. Good times!
fixed.

awesome story though

Users who are viewing this thread