What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wonderlic scores (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
Saw this on the chargers homer board.

Anyone have some quick data has how wonderlic relates to on the field performance? Does this score help or hurt prospects?

here is what I found for the in coming rookies:

Georgia’s Matthew Stafford did not throw during the Scouting Combine, but he stood out among quarterbacks taking the Wonderlic test.

According to Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune, Stafford scored 38.

The other top quarterback prospects fared well also. USC’s Mark Sanchez scored 28, and Kansas State’s Josh Freeman scored 27.

Last year, Matt Ryan reportedly scored 32, and Joe Flacco posted a 27.

Among receivers, Missouri’s Jeremy Maclin stood out with a 25. The other top prospects were not as impressive. Texas Tech’s Michael Crabtree scored 15. Maryland’s Darrius Heyward-Bey posted a 14. Florida’s Percy Harvin a 12. And North Carolina’s Hakeem Nicks an 11.

At offensive tackle, Alabama’s Andre Smith scored 17.

Linebacker Rey Maualuga posted a 12, while his USC teammates fared better. Clay Matthews scored 27, and Brian Cushing 23.

At defensive back, Maryland’s Kevin Barnes posted a 41, while Western Kentucky’s Louis Delmas scored 12.

positional averages:

Offensive tackles: 26

Centers: 25

Quarterbacks: 24

Guards: 23

Tight Ends: 22

Safeties: 19

Middle linebackers: 19

Cornerbacks: 18

Wide receivers: 17

Fullbacks: 17

Halfbacks: 16

So is Rey Maualuga gonna slip cause of this?

What did Vince young score something like a 6?

ETA link to take it:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/2/18/7631...mbine-wonderlic

and other past players wonderlic:

Higher scoring applicants are supposed to learn more rapidly, master more complex material, and exercise better judgment while lower scoring applicants tend to require more time, detailed task instruction, and less challenging job routines.

25 is the average score for quarterbacks and offensive linemen. Other positions average about a 20. A generic breakdown of the scoring looks like this:

50 = highest possible score, superior intelligence

30 = Very bright, you're shouldn't be living at home

20 = average intelligence (similar to IQ of 100)

15 = Equivalent to unskilled worker

10 and Below = Moron, barring unique circumstances*

*Frank Gore apparently scored a 6 on the Wonderlic, but it was due to his dyslexia. He can't take timed tests like this, so a test like the Wachs Test would be utilized. The Wachs Test is a verbal test.

Hogs Haven put together an online Wonderlic exam for us to try and take. Feel free to compare yourself to the best and worst of the NFL's test takers.

To begin your test, cclick here >>>

NFL Notable High Scores:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 38-50: It's officially an NFL urban legend that Fitzpatrick scored somewhere between 38 and a perfect 50. Although he claims to have left a question blank, which means he could get no more than a 49.

Drew Henson 42

Alex Smith 40

Eli Manning 39

Brian Griese 39

Tony Romo 37

Drew Bledsoe 36

Matt Leinart 35

Kellen Clemens 35

Tom Brady 33

Steve Young 33

John Beck 30

Philip Rivers 30

Troy Aikman 29

Brady Quinn 29

Drew Brees 28

Peyton Manning 28

Ryan Leaf 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

Brett Favre 22

Notable Low Scores:

Tarvaris Jackson 19

Derek Anderson 19

Vince Young 16*

Dan Marino 15

Terry Bradshaw 15

Donovan McNabb 14

David Garrard 14

Kordell Stewart 13

Marcus Vick 11

Jeff George 10

Chris Leak 8**

* VY apparently scored a 6 on his first test, and he took the test a second time scoring a 16.

** Leak apparently decided to only answer 12 of 50 questions. Got 8 out of 12 right, but alas, 8 is his score

Last edited by a moderator:
This is debated every year. Personally, I would stay away from tremendously low scores, but at the same time, I wouldn't differentiate much between any score 20 - 50.

This is debated every year. Personally, I would stay away from tremendously low scores, but at the same time, I wouldn't differentiate much between any score 20 - 50.
yeah, it looks lie you should stay away from the low ones. abnormally high ones they may tend to over think.but that could be way off. just make sure the qbs are over 25 for the score

yeah, it looks lie you should stay away from the low ones. abnormally high ones they may tend to over think.but that could be way off. just make sure the qbs are over 25 for the score
If you stay away from the low ones, you miss out on opportunities like these:Dan Marino 15Terry Bradshaw 15Donovan McNabb 14The test seems to me to be somewhat irrelevant completely.

That test seems ridiculously easy and I would think that any university student should score a thirty at minimum. Something is wrong if University level students/athletes are failng that test.

I would be wary of giving millions of dollars to a player who couldn't score at least fifty percent.

Well except for RB and maybe D-Linemen.

I think it's important for QBs as it judges ones ability to process information quickly. There will always be exceptions to the rules and it's certainly not one of the top five things one should consider when evaluating but should be considered nonetheless.

If you stay away from the low ones, you miss out on opportunities like these:Dan Marino 15Terry Bradshaw 15Donovan McNabb 14The test seems to me to be somewhat irrelevant completely.
Well this post seems irrelevant to me. With complex offenses these days if a player has a low score he needs to be tested to see if he can handle the position. No team will shove $100 million to a moron. It's a starting position-bring him in and see what he can handle. It isn't reason to avoii someone by itself. In college a read and react athlete like Vince Young may thrive but not on most teams in the NFL.

That test seems ridiculously easy and I would think that any university student should score a thirty at minimum. Something is wrong if University level students/athletes are failng that test. I would be wary of giving millions of dollars to a player who couldn't score at least fifty percent.Well except for RB and maybe D-Linemen.
a lot of NFL draft prospects arent university level students.

Well this post seems irrelevant to me. With complex offenses these days if a player has a low score he needs to be tested to see if he can handle the position. No team will shove $100 million to a moron. It's a starting position-bring him in and see what he can handle. It isn't reason to avoii someone by itself. In college a read and react athlete like Vince Young may thrive but not on most teams in the NFL.
I'm sure the wonderlic is just one more piece of the whole puzzle in finding a franchise QB. I'm sure all 32 GM's would rather have a guy that scores 10 but completes 70% of his passes than the guy that scores 40 but completes 50% of his passes.

puckalicious said:
I'm sure the wonderlic is just one more piece of the whole puzzle in finding a franchise QB. I'm sure all 32 GM's would rather have a guy that scores 10 but completes 70% of his passes than the guy that scores 40 but completes 50% of his passes.
Well sure. If someone scores low I would expect they would bring him in and ask him about different defenses or test him in other ways. Maybe they'll test him with Madden :thumbup: and see how quickly he can react to different plays.

I got a 40 on the wonderlic test, with a screaming hangover. so according to your basic assesments... I shouldn't be living at home? who's home should I be living at then???

yeah, it looks lie you should stay away from the low ones. abnormally high ones they may tend to over think.

but that could be way off. just make sure the qbs are over 25 for the score
If you stay away from the low ones, you miss out on opportunities like these:Dan Marino 15

Terry Bradshaw 15

Donovan McNabb 14

The test seems to me to be somewhat irrelevant completely.
Well this post seems irrelevant to me. With complex offenses these days if a player has a low score he needs to be tested to see if he can handle the position. No team will shove $100 million to a moron. It's a starting position-bring him in and see what he can handle. It isn't reason to avoii someone by itself.

In college a read and react athlete like Vince Young may thrive but not on most teams in the NFL.
It seems like I have ruffled your feathers a bit with my seemingly irrelevant post. Apologies if you are a huge supporter of the Wonderlic - no offense was intended.I was just responding to the comment that "yeah, it looks lie you should stay away from the low ones. ", and then looking down that list of low scores and seeing some extremely successful QBs, and Ryan Fitzpatrick up at the top of the list. I am very happy that Don Shula and his staff did not put as much relevancy into this test as you seem to.

I know a boatload of very successful people who did horrible on their SATs, and conversely, some that are not nearly as successful that kicked the SAT's a**. I dont disagree that problem solving and intelligence is critical to the QB position, but clearly this test is not even close to an exact science.

That said, I think you are one of the best posters on here, and I completely value your opinions and look forward to your posts. Not by any means am I trying to start a flame war with you. We just happen to disagree on just how important this particular test is. I dont think either opinion is irrelevant.

Clearly, the performance of an NFL player is a function of many, many factors. Strength, speed, manual dexterity, cogntive ability, personality (traits and values) just to name a few.

A valid test of any one of these will predict performance, but since it is predicting just part of it one would not expect really strong correlations between test scores and success.

The Wonderlic Personnel Test has been shown to predict job performance in pretty much every job category where it has been examined, from janitors (excuse me, custodial engineers) to architects. There is no reason a job that requires as much information processing as NFL players' do that it should not.

Which does not mean that being low on any one of the above list cannot be compensated by being above average on several others. It definately can. So a QB with a low Wonderlic score who has a great work ethic, huge hands, and an amazing arm might still do well. It just might take him longer to learn plays and read defenses. Which also does not mean that all else being equal one might give preference to the candidate with the higher score.

here's where the fail is on that. Marino and Bradshaw played an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT game. McNabb? has his limitations, but the O is designed around him. Not exactly the most complex in the league. The game is a LOT more mental that it used to be. The fiasco with VY should tell people to steer away from just plain stupid people. Have you seen some of the questions off the Wonderlic? Honestly, you don't have to be a scholar, but at least have some common sense.

That test seems ridiculously easy and I would think that any university student should score a thirty at minimum. Something is wrong if University level students/athletes are failng that test. I would be wary of giving millions of dollars to a player who couldn't score at least fifty percent.Well except for RB and maybe D-Linemen.
a lot of NFL draft prospects arent university level students.
Wow, that was pretty darn easy (albeit only 10 questions).I'm with you JB - something is wrong when University students are failing this. Imagine if the NFL would legislate a minimum score that all players must achieve to gain entry to the league. Maybe then these young guys might realise how lucky they are to be given the opportunity of a University scholarship (when so many others would give their left leg to have the chance).

How could any college grads get less then 30 on this test???????

The fact that so many do is a sad reflection on our values, as it's painfully obvious that all too many of these young men got through college based SOLELY on their athletic prowess, not their schoolwork.

ETA: I had my girlfriend try the fake test, and she scored a 25. I'd say she was of average intelligance, but is NOT a college grad. Watching her, I suspect she'd do a little better on the longer version with a pencil/paper for the math problems. These guys go into this test with preperation, knowing what to expect (I'd think their agents would have given them several practice exams.) I scored a 40, with a 20 second distraction.

renesauz said:
How could any college grads get less then 30 on this test???????The fact that so many do is a sad reflection on our values, as it's painfully obvious that all too many of these young men got through college based SOLELY on their athletic prowess, not their schoolwork.ETA: I had my girlfriend try the fake test, and she scored a 25.
I hope she's incredibly hot.

Without the "short bus" version of entry requirements for "student athletes", almost all college and university athletic teams would look like teams circa 1950, slow and very white.

If I recall, the mean Wonderlic score for college students is like a 22 with a standard deviation of around 4.

The mean of a mixed sample of professionals tends to be a little higher, around 24.

That sample test may not be equated with the original in terms of difficulty.

-OOK!

p.s., We should probably differentiate between race "bias" versus race "differences". In testing, bias refers to differences in scores that are not related to true differences in the ability being measured. So although one group may score lower on a test like the Wonderlic, it may not be biased as that group might actually be lower in ability.

My take is generally the Wonderlic is one more piece of the puzzle. It is more important for QBs, OL, and perhaps LBs, than other positions. For a guy like Stafford, I see it as a pretty big plus due to my concerns about him and his on-field/off-field decision making. This shows that maybe he was just a little immature and can settle down and be a smart QB.

For a guy like Andre Smith, I see it as important from the other way. Not only is this a low score for an OL, but more importantly it is just one more red flag joining a chorus of bad news for the guy.

Generally, as long as they haven't had any off-field issues or big locker room problems, I completely ignore it for WRs, RBs, and CBs.

Generally like to see safeties a little smarter than the rest, and I think TEs should be fairly intelligent because their roles are pretty complex.

My take is generally the Wonderlic is one more piece of the puzzle. It is more important for QBs, OL, and perhaps LBs, than other positions. For a guy like Stafford, I see it as a pretty big plus due to my concerns about him and his on-field/off-field decision making. This shows that maybe he was just a little immature and can settle down and be a smart QB.
Did I miss something on Stafford? (been out of the country for 2 weeks). Off field issues? He grew up in the golden spoon section here in Dallas with good pedigree's went to Georgia because his year older girl friend went there. Was pretty much a choir boy.... The average scores of the students around him in Highland Park was probably in the 30's as well. The Falcons drafted Ryan on his smarts and someone will pick Stafford for the same reason....

I think it's more a filtering tool that triggers some additional due diligence if something unusual pops up.

If a guy scores low, it could be that he's semi-vegetative and doesn't have the mental firepower to absorb, retain and then process information.

But it could also be that he was just a fun lovin' jock who didn't give a crap about learning algebra or geometry, and so performs poorly on a standardized tests requiring application of those skills.

If the score raises the issue and the team determines he's in the second group, I don't think it means that much and team doesn't discount him unless they think there may be a discipline/work ethic deficiency at the root of it.

It's not that different than the 40 in that regard. If it's a good number, teams tend to take it on faith. If it's a bad number, they pull up and look into it further to see if the guy has game speed. If so, he stays on their board. But it may be a tie breaker between similarly ranked players.

Users who are viewing this thread