What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you ever draft a QB, RB, and WR from the same team? (1 Viewer)

3nOut

Footballguy
Would you ever draft a QB, RB, and WR from the same team to be your FF starters? To do so would be a risky venture if that team fails to perform well any given week. But there have been powerhouse offenses before that, in retrospect, may have been worth the risk. TheColts' Manning, Addai, and Harrison come to mind immediately. You probably would have not been disappointed having Warner, Faulk, and Bruce or Holt (the greatest show on Turf) on your team as well.

That said, are there any 'triplet' combinations you would take a chance on this year? I can only think of one that I would consider without blinking an eye:

1. Atlanta: Ryan, SJax, and J Jones

Two more I migh consider (though pulling the trigger would be tough):

2. Seattle: Wilson, Lynch, and Harvin

3. Houston: Schaub, Foster, and A Johnson

Denver, SF, Dallas, and NE would be tempting but I am not sure I'd put all my eggs in one basket with them. Each has a 'weak' (or unproven) link at one of the three positions.

Which would you take a chance on?

If they are good players and a value where I pick them then I have no concern about taking them all from the same team.

It can pay off nicely, and it can blow up, too. It can be risky come late season / bad weather games.

How many Brady/Moss owners cruised through that magical season they had? Then how many of them lost their week 15 playoff game (Pats vs. Jets in the mud, a 20-10 pats win where neither player did much)?

Knew a guy who had Manning, Edge, and Harrison way back in the day. Worked for him all the way to the title game and then they either laid an egg or were sitting and he got blown out by the Kurt Warner (look what I found on my waiver wire) owner.

Would you ever draft a QB, RB, and WR from the same team to be your FF starters? To do so would be a risky venture if that team fails to perform well any given week. But there have been powerhouse offenses before that, in retrospect, may have been worth the risk. TheColts' Manning, Addai, and Harrison come to mind immediately. You probably would have not been disappointed having Warner, Faulk, and Bruce or Holt (the greatest show on Turf) on your team as well.
Well, yes if they all happened to be the best player available when it was my turn to pick. I wouldn't reach to acquire a same team trio, but I wouldn't avoid it either.

I don't recall doing that in redraft and but I have done a QB/WR combo and had good luck with that. Yes, it does have a feast-or-famine quality to it, but if both your players (or in this case all 3) have a big week you probably will win your head-to-head matchup. And also having the RB might mitigate a game where it is a blow out for your team and they turn to the running game in the 4th quarter to run out the clock.

But, anyway, If you really believe in the players you draft, you shouldn't be afraid to roll-the-dice. My experience is that people who do the best consistently in FF are those who are not risk adverse, don't always play it safe and go with their hunches

Last edited by a moderator:
I would certainly have Drafted Peyton Manning, Edge and marvin Harrison from the colts about 7 years ago. Ofcourse I would of lost in the SB when they were rested :(

I've avoided a QB/WR combos because if the QB gets injured, you just lost your QB and a big chunk of production from the WR position because when a backup QB steps in, the offense usually takes a step down, and might shift focus away from your stud. When a team loses a QB, I've also had bad experiences with the RB position losing production. So I probably wouldn't do the QB/WR/RB combo out of fear one QB injury takes all of them out and ruins the season. Maybe those fears are misplaced with my experience and all the recent protections of QBs, but I would definitely avoid the running QBs if I had to go the combo route.

The other thing I avoid combos is I probably have to throw the bye week out as a loss, and I can't afford to take an automatic loss in our league if I want to make the playoffs.

I would definately...i rode the rodgers/nelson/starks bandwagon a couple of years back in the playoffs...

It may sound funny, but Chicago may have a good trio this year with Cutler, Forte and Marshall.

Cutler obviously is a question, but with improved O-line play he could be a servicable starter while Forte and Marshall will be top 10 candidates on most lists.

Bucky86 said:
A Detroit combo of Stafford, Johnson, and Bush could win a lot of leagues...
very doable in most leagues. first adp link I found has them at 72, 9 & 24 in a basic 14 team league.

You could round out your roster with Det Defense @ 199, Pettigrew @ 204 & Akers @ 265.

I think it really only pays off when you find your trio in a juggernaut (matchup proof) offense. Otherwise on any given week your team could flop and that is dangerous come playoff time.

One candidate trio I was thinking of because of where they are landing in redraft this year:

Rodgers, Cobb, Lacy (as my RB2, cuffed with Franklin).

Tackling Dummies said:
cstu said:
If they are good players and a value where I pick them then I have no concern about taking them all from the same team.
This^
Yea this is about it.... /thread

I did do that last year with Matt Ryan / Julio / Turner but Turner was only a bye week player. It worked fairly well as I won the league.

jwb said:
It can pay off nicely, and it can blow up, too. It can be risky come late season / bad weather games.

How many Brady/Moss owners cruised through that magical season they had? Then how many of them lost their week 15 playoff game (Pats vs. Jets in the mud, a 20-10 pats win where neither player did much)?
That's risk I'll accept. I'd rather make it to the playoffs and go down in flames than not make the playoffs.

From a bang for the buck perspective, the Seattle trio makes the most sense. Though I'm more skeptical of Harvin than others seem to be...

Could also see the Houston trio, but prob wouldn't commit to Schuab as my QB1 in a 12-teamer, not out of the gate at least.

I rode Garcia, Garner and Owens to the playoffs way back in 2000.

Garcia's 400+ 2TDs and Owens dropping 283 yards and 1YD were awesome in week 16.

Sadly, we still had a week 17 Super Bowl where Garcia went 183/1/1, Owens had 35 yards and Garner had 3 rushing yards.

Cool story bro.

Not sure why people are saying it is "less risky". It might lessen your risk of a LOW score, but I think it also lessens your chances of a high score, which could mean losing in your league playoffs.

Say you have Brady, Ridley, and Amendola. Not saying this is super likely, but if Ridley has a big game with like 25 carries and a 150 yards or something, he will score well, but it also very well means Brady and Amendola have a lesser chance of scoring high.

I just think it slightly lessens your chances of winning three straight games in your league playoffs since it would only take one fluke thing here and there to negatively impact all three players, not to mention if one player is doing well (generally the RB) it probably means the QB-WR duo isnt doing as well as normal.

I think it increases your chances of all three players combining for close to there cummulative average each week, but like I said, will that be enough to win three playoff games??

The less risky part is having the Qb and RB or Wr and RB. It amplifies the risk having the QB and WR/TE.

If a decent combo existed yes. I don't like any of them this year however except NE.BradyRidleyAmendolaBradyRidleyGronkBradyRidleyHernandezBradyRidleyAmendolaGronk(in my start 2 TE league)BradyRidleyGronkHerndanez

That said, are there any 'triplet' combinations you would take a chance on this year? I can only think of one that I would consider without blinking an eye:

1. Atlanta: Ryan, SJax, and J Jones

Two more I migh consider (though pulling the trigger would be tough):

2. Seattle: Wilson, Lynch, and Harvin

3. Houston: Schaub, Foster, and A Johnson

Denver, SF, Dallas, and NE would be tempting but I am not sure I'd put all my eggs in one basket with them. Each has a 'weak' (or unproven) link at one of the three positions.

Which would you take a chance on?
Don't forget the Bears. although they'd cost a 1st, 2nd, and maybe an 8th. To me that might be the ideal scenario, RB and WR go high, but the QB allows you to take other players before grabbing him.

Redskins seems like a decent risk if RG3 comes back.

Everyone is going to the best qb/wr/rb combos they can think of

this said draft, not start

that's why i like Denver

top tier QB, multiple WR options, and a stable of RBs who can be had affordably

Take manning and thomas or decker and then a bit later add a hillman or a monte ball and see if they pan out

i could totally see that

that's why i like Denver

Take manning and thomas or decker and then a bit later add a hillman or a monte ball and see if they pan out

i could totally see that
Actually, I did...

Would you ever draft a QB, RB, and WR from the same team to be your FF starters?

that's why i like Denver

i could totally see that
Actually, I did...

>Would you ever draft a QB, RB, and WR from the same team to be your FF starters?
hmmmm

sorry bout that...maybe not denver then :)

though if one of the RBs win the job before the season they could be a RB2

so i would draft them in HOPES of them all being starters, but not RB1/WR1/QB1

Freeman, Martin, and VJax wouldn't be the worst combination in the world. Freeman had his moments last year and you can probably get him relatively late in drafts, allowing you to draft better talent in earlier rounds.

A high-tempo offence makes it more attractive. If you're drafting at the end of the 1st round, I could see taking Brady/Ridley with you first 2 picks, and then getting Amendola later.

Users who are viewing this thread