What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (5 Viewers)

Steelers listening to trade offers for Diontae. 1 year left at 10 mil.
Per a few reporters on X
Someone would touch that cancer?
The initial discussion seems to be a late pick but during draft season "late" seems to be a bit earlier sooo I'd guess 3-5 round.

The new staff members watching film will probably see a few others that don't fare well.

If he stays, it's a rude awakening type thing as he's one year away from claiming he'll make big $ so it works regardless.

Hit all your blocks and run all routes hard and good things happen.

I wonder if the Titans want to swap issues- Burks for Diontae.
Callahan said good things but it's been pointed out that this is smokescreen season.

Giants and Titans could use a one year rental- if not longer.
If either doesn't go WR in the draft, I'd figure they're curious of Diontae

Per a few reporters on X
Someone would touch that cancer?
I'd be happy to have him in Chicago. He was the Steelers WR they should have traded for 2 years ago. Moore and Johnson would be a pretty nice duo for Caleb Williams to start with.
He's a really good player, not great, maybe a tad overpaid, but a good player, if he's your WR1 you need to look for an upgrade, if he's your WR2 you are in a great spot. Hard to think of a worse fit in an Arthur Smith led offense so not surprising he's being made available, could do really well in the right situation and as a dynasty owner I'm glad to see he might get moved.

Per a few reporters on X

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reports the Steelers are open to hearing trade offers for Diontae Johnson.
Johnson has been somewhat vocal in recent years over his displeasure with the Steelers’ offense and quarterback struggles. Earlier this offseason, he advocated for the team to bring back Mason Rudolph in hopes he would be the team’s starter in 2024. In five seasons with the Steelers, Johnson has totaled 391 receptions for 4,363 yards and 25 touchdowns. After going for 882 scoreless yards in 2022, he bounced back in 2023 with a line of 51-717-5 in 13 games while averaging a career-high 14.1 YPR. The soon-to-be 28-year-old receiver would likely have a strong trade market, as teams are always looking to add reliable receivers on the outside. Per ESPN receiver analytics, Johnson graded out as the sixth-best receiver when combining one’s ability to get open, catch passes and create after the catch.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Trade! The Steelers are trading wide receiver, Deontae Johnson to the Carolina Panthers per sources.

Pelissero
@TomPelissero
Full trade:

The #Panthers get Diontae Johnson and pick No. 240

The #Steelers get Donte Jackson and pick 178

Pelissero
@TomPelissero
Full trade:

I like that deal a lot more for Carolina than Pittsburgh. Donte Jackson is more of a #3 CB who has been a #2. He's super fast, but he's also easy for WRs to push around.

Diontae Johnson is more of a #2 WR than a #1, but he gets open and can get deep, he's also probably a solid compliment for Adam Thielen who can continue to eat in the slot. I especially like the move as it means Carolina doesn't need to force a WR at #33. Really interested in what Dave Canales can do with Johnson/Thielen. But I wouldn't be surprised if they both hit 80 catches.

Fantasy wise, I think this is probably a sideways move for Johnson, with maybe some upside if year 2 Bryce Young looks a lot more like a #1 pick than he did a year ago, ala Jared Goff or Trevor Lawrence in recent history when they got new coaching staffs.

Pelissero
@TomPelissero
Full trade:

I like that deal a lot more for Carolina than Pittsburgh.
Agree.

Carolina needed to add to their WR room for the guy they invested their immediate future in. Old man Theilen is even older now and Johnson is a big upgrade in the short passing game.

Fantasy wise, I like it too. Steelers want to run the ball. Panthers will need to pass the ball. Johnson will have a lot more opportunities in Carolina than in Pittsburgh

Don't see why people think it's a bad move

Pelissero
@TomPelissero
Full trade:

I like that deal a lot more for Carolina than Pittsburgh.
Agree.

Carolina needed to add to their WR room for the guy they invested their immediate future in. Old man Theilen is even older now and Johnson is a big upgrade in the short passing game.

Fantasy wise, I like it too. Steelers want to run the ball. Panthers will need to pass the ball. Johnson will have a lot more opportunities in Carolina than in Pittsburgh

Don't see why people think it's a bad move
Sometimes, and I'm generalizing here, I think people just want to pile on a bad team. So when an annual playoff contender like the Steelers trades with the Panthers, some people just assume the better team is taking advantage of the bad team.

Panthers won out on that swap. Jackson can run fast covering nobody, while DJ can be a quality #2.
Who’s the #1 there? Thielen?

I’d argue DJ is the new number one now. I suppose they could draft a WR. But I would expect most of the their draft capitol goes towards improving that o-line.

like the trade for Carolina, Johnson's a good player but had fallen out of favor, i'd expect Pitt to draft a wr in the 2nd or 3rd round

Panthers won out on that swap. Jackson can run fast covering nobody, while DJ can be a quality #2.
Who’s the #1 there? Thielen?

I’d argue DJ is the new number one now. I suppose they could draft a WR. But I would expect most of the their draft capitol goes towards improving that o-line.
He can move into that role if he must, but I'm just saying he's better off as a #2.

DJ's a big winner to me with this trade. He's just what Carolina needed. Said this another thread and not saying it after the fact, this is where I was hoping he would go.

Bittersweet trade for me because I own Diontae on a lot of dynasty teams, think this is great for him, but I'm a Steeler fan and understand the growing discord between them, that Dionate has requested a trade and was an bad fit in the Arthur offense, but this is close to a give away and they don't have the depth to do that.

DJ's a big winner to me with this trade. He's just what Carolina needed. Said this another thread and not saying it after the fact, this is where I was hoping he would go.

Bittersweet trade for me because I own Diontae on a lot of dynasty teams, think this is great for him, but I'm a Steeler fan and understand the growing discord between them, that Dionate has requested a trade and was an bad fit in the Arthur offense, but this is close to a give away and they don't have the depth to do that.
Diontae is an elite route runner, it's a great fit. None of these bums on Carolina could create separation.

CAR got the better player, no doubt. Steelers ridded themselves of a tumor. And WRs are dripping of the branches in this draft. Rds 1-4 are loaded with them. Sign Tyler Boyd and draft a nice WR. Fixed, better, happier locker room.

Matt Harmon
NEW #ReceptionProfile on Panthers WR Diontae Johnson is live on the site.

- 75.2% success rate vs man coverage (81st percentile)
- 82.3% success rate vs zone (82nd)
- 78.3% success rate vs press (85th)

While not a flawless player, what Diontae Johnson does well...he does really well. Full profile:
receptionperception.com/diontae-johnso…

Users who are viewing this thread