What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Xavier Legette, CAR (2 Viewers)

Desert_Power

Footballguy
Time to start putting this guy on your fantasy radars for when he goes to the draft. He is 6'3"/227lbs and has the fastest ball carrier speed in football this season on this play. That's right, he hit a higher speed than all of those Dolphins players we are so excited about. Size and skill to high point the football with speed to breakaway. A rare combination.

He's been battling injuries the last month or so, but finally made over 1k yards yesterday. Some bad drops in the rain too though.

There is an aspect of this stretch that reminds me of owning Julio Jones. Almost every big play is followed up by him coming off the field hurt.

Last edited:
Senior Bowl is going to be important for his prospects. We know he is big and fast, let's see how he responds to coaching and going at other NFL talent.

This is the year of the big fast WR draft. Many projected 1st and 2nd rounders are 6'3" or 6'4". Last year, many smaller drafted WRs balled, Flowers, Addison, Downs, Dell. JSN and Rice around 6 feet and physical. Is the bust rate higher for highly drafted tall WRs versus shorter ones? I think the taller WRs don't provide as much separation, maybe they never learned separation skills.

Dane Brugler
Rocky first day of practice from WR Xavier Legette (his routes and finishing). Scouts will be looking for progress from him throughout the week.

Derek Brown
Xavier Legette getting loose on Day 2.

Hope he continues his bounce back with a strong Day 3 @seniorbowl
Looks like he fights the ball on both these plays. Big push off on the first one too. Reminds me of Mike Evans. 🤣

Sounds like Xavier Legette is closer to 6’0” than to 6’3”. Similar thing happened with Rashod Bateman leading up to his draft.

Did next to nothing in his first 4 years in college and had a minor breakout in year 5. I'll pass.

Did next to nothing in his first 4 years in college and had a minor breakout in year 5. I'll pass.
I'd classify 1255 and 17.7 ypr in the SEC as a little better than a minor breakout. But I'm generally in the same boat and not that interested yet. Looks like another Mingo.

Xavier Legette draws A.J. Brown comparison

ESPN's Matt Miller said from the Combine on Saturday that South Carolina WR Xavier Legette reminds him of Eagles WR A.J. Brown "from a body type standpoint." Legette checked into Indianapolis at 6'1 and 221 pounds -- an inch taller and five pounds lighter than Brown. Legette's 4.39-second 40-yard dash actually beats Brown's time by a tenth of a second. Legette had a strong overall Combine showing, also registering a 40-inch vertical and 126-inch broad jump to earn a 9.92 Relative Athletic Score. He's a polarizing prospect who totaled just 42 catches across his first four college seasons before breaking out with a 71-1,255-7 line last year. Be careful not to overrate Legette's Combine performance -- but it certainly helps his upside case.

Bob McGinn's draft series begins

Excerpt:

XAVIER LEGETTE, South Carolina (6-1, 222, 4.39, 2): His hard-running style reminded one scout of Sterling Sharpe, the Gamecocks’ greatest wideout. “He kind of does,” one scout said. “He’s as athletically gifted as any guy his size. He’s probably too big to be a true punt returner. He’s come out of nowhere. He’s had multiple coaches over his career, too, which has probably slowed him down.” Had just 42 receptions from 2019-’22 despite making 20 starts. The light went on in 2023 and he was chosen All-Southeastern Conference second team. “What he did on tape this year probably would have got him in the first round if he had done it more than once,” said a second scout. “You can be unemployed taking risks on one-year wonders. That always concerns me. This year, he looks like DK Metcalf. Is he DK Metcalf? No, but there’s a lot there where someone’s going to take him in the second round.” Led wideouts on the bench press with 24 reps. “He’s got some intelligence issues that might be a concern,” said a third scout. “But he’s big, physical, can run.” Finished with 113 receptions for 1,678 (14.8) and 12 TDs. “He is very powerful in the lower half,” said a fourth scout. “He’s like a better Laviska Shenault. He’s almost like a running back in a way. It took four years to kind of get him up to speed. You can put a tremendous highlight tape on him. The big question will be, ‘OK, how long’s it going to take?’ Is he a one-spot wideout? Probably yes his rookie year. If it took four years in college to get to that level, how long is it going to take in the NFL?” From Mullins, S.C.

John Crumpler
“I’ve met with the Panthers 4 or 5 times… They keep telling me that if I’m sitting at (pick) 33 they’re going to take me.”

South Carolina WR Xavier Legette was not shy about disclosing his relationship with the receiver-needy, local Carolina Panthers.

The interest is real.

South Carolina WR Xavier Legette is more than familiar with Carolina Panthers HC Dave Canales’ offensive work:

“Man, I’ve seen the things he did with Mike Evans. I know what (Canales) told me when I came for my Top 30 visit - Told me they’re going to use me as they used him.”

The Panthers brass appears to have a clear vision for Legette in Canales offense if they're able to take him

However, it's no guarantee that the Carolina Panthers get the opportunity to draft XL.

Legette has legitimate interest in the bottom half of the first round and believes he could go anywhere from Pick 15 through the early second round.

Darin Gantt
Asked about Xavier Legette saying the Panthers told him they'd draft him at 33, Canales said: "Oh yeah, I said that to him, and 50 other guys."

Joe Person
South Carolina WR Xavier Legette said Panthers told him they would take him at 33 if he's available. Dave Canales said it was more of a lead-in to a question -- which the Panthers asked of about 50 guys -- like, "If we draft you at 33, then what happens next?"

This pick makes a lot of sense and was rumored throughout the draft process. Hard not to compare him with the role they tried Shenault in, but X is faster and stronger.

Hopefully he can develop enough as a route runner to have the entire tree available to him.

Darin Gantt
Asked about Xavier Legette saying the Panthers told him they'd draft him at 33, Canales said: "Oh yeah, I said that to him, and 50 other guys."

Joe Person
South Carolina WR Xavier Legette said Panthers told him they would take him at 33 if he's available. Dave Canales said it was more of a lead-in to a question -- which the Panthers asked of about 50 guys -- like, "If we draft you at 33, then what happens next?"
He lied. Took him at 32. Smh

Man, they... Have a type
-GOB, arrested development.

It really seems like they take the same type of receiver over and over (Marshall, Viska through trade, Mingo, Now Legette). I know it's a new regime this time but I still find it amusing.
Mingo was my first thought. I don't like Legette as a first rounder. I feel someone like McConkey would have been a better fit and option for Carolina. He'll work where Young needs him to be.

Feels boom or bust. I don't want anything to do with this flaming bag of dog poo of a franchise, so someone else will own Legette in my leagues, unless I can get him after 1.9 or so.

There IS a bunch of negatives, but he did look that good this year, and has WR1 physical assets.

Feels boom or bust. I don't want anything to do with this flaming bag of dog poo of a franchise, so someone else will own Legette in my leagues, unless I can get him after 1.9 or so.

There IS a bunch of negatives, but he did look that good this year, and has WR1 physical assets.
I agree. Not 1st Round material (and this from a Gamecock fan). He has multiple flaws but somewhere they must have done the "could he be Metcalf 2.0" comparison and came away with a positive feel on that potential. Yeah, it is possible, but remote at best.
Why trade up to #32 for a player who would have been available for your #39 pick??
Not sure having Dionte Johnson in the same locker room will be good for this kid. "Aged Adam" Theilman can only mentor so much and if Dionte gets with him, the kid is not going to develop.

I agree. Not 1st Round material (and this from a Gamecock fan). He has multiple flaws but somewhere they must have done the "could he be Metcalf 2.0" comparison and came away with a positive feel on that potential. Yeah, it is possible, but remote at best.
Why trade up to #32 for a player who would have been available for your #39 pick??
Not sure having Dionte Johnson in the same locker room will be good for this kid. "Aged Adam" Theilman can only mentor so much and if Dionte gets with him, the kid is not going to develop.
X is a very hard worker and seems to have a great head on his shoulders. I’m more concerned that he is closer to his peak than other prospects or cannot stay healthy.

If there is one thing Dionte is good at, it is getting separation. That is one of x’s biggest question marks but maybe that mentorship will have to come from the HC

As an aside, shoot me a PM if you go to any of the Gamecock games. We set up in the Fairgrounds.

X is a very hard worker and seems to have a great head on his shoulders. I’m more concerned that he is closer to his peak than other prospects or cannot stay healthy.

If there is one thing Dionte is good at, it is getting separation. That is one of x’s biggest question marks but maybe that mentorship will have to come from the HC

As an aside, shoot me a PM if you go to any of the Gamecock games. We set up in the Fairgrounds.
I guess I was more implying the behavior issues Dionte exhibited that drove his welcome out of Pitt.
His attitude was not justified by his on-field performance and he was viewed as a negative impact on the rest of the WR Room.

YEs, X is a hard worker and well rounded solid person. He is still young and susceptible to influences in the new environment. I am just cautions of his influencers.

Josh Norris
Panthers HC Dave Canales on what jumped out when watching Xavier Legette

"Out of the backfield. Jet sweeps. Short crossers. Perimeter screens. Down the field posts. There really isn't much else we do with receivers.

He has done it all."

Matt Harmon
Xavier Legette is a risky profile, and I don’t have a strong lean on whether he works out or doesn’t, but just my two cents if he’s gonna work it starts with the type of usage Canales just outlined so that’s great to see. Requires catering but I have some faith Canales can do it.

Josh Norris
the Rashee Rice plan sounds pretty good

Matt Harmon
I would rip off that plan with no shame

Users who are viewing this thread