What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo IR Question (1 Viewer)

JIslander

Footballguy
For those using Yahoo, is there a way to pickup an available player on IR and slide him into IR available slots w/o having to drop a player? Unless I'm missing something, mine is making me drop a player before filling an open IR slot. :shrug:

For those using Yahoo, is there a way to pickup an available player on IR and slide him into IR available slots w/o having to drop a player? Unless I'm missing something, mine is making me drop a player before filling an open IR slot. :shrug:
I believe you have to drop a player, add player on IR, place him in your IR slot, opening up a spot to fill. Unless someone knows otherwise, which I’d love to know.

You have to drop a player, add player on IR, place him in your IR slot, opening up a spot to fill.
yeah, ok -- don't really want to drop anyone not on IR to get an IR player -- oh well - probably should drop Kupp anyway.

I think you have it right. Somebody has to be on your roster before they can be on your IR. The time to go hunting for injured pickups is halfway through your typical add-drop. Drop a guy, add the injured guy and IR him, add the healthy guy.

I have added directly to the IR. When I try and add a player that is IR eligible it asks if I want to add him directly to IR.

As other's have said, maybe it's a league setting that allows it or not.

ETA: I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed. If you have the open IR slot why shouldn't you be able to add an IR eligible player directly to the IR?

Under the "Commissioner" tab, select "Edit League Settings". There will then be a Yes/No option under "Add Injured Players Directly To An Injury Slot". Your league rules must have this option set to No.

Because your Commish said so.
Of course. I was more making a comment about the reasons for going that route. Why disallow it if you are a commish?

There is a train of thought (although debatable) that IR spots are for your own players, not so you can have an extra roster spot to speculate on hurt WW players. By forcing you to cut a player to roster a WW player onto your IR spot, it creates a disincentive to do that.

Of course. I was more making a comment about the reasons for going that route. Why disallow it if you are a commish?

There is a train of thought (although debatable) that IR spots are for your own players, not so you can have an extra roster spot to speculate on hurt WW players. By forcing you to cut a player to roster a WW player onto your IR spot, it creates a disincentive to do that.
Another possible reason is the default was set to No instead of Yes. It's possible the commish didn't even think about this.

yeah, I can see this position as well --

Another possible reason is the default was set to No instead of Yes. It's possible the commish didn't even think about this.
Yeah, that's the case in my league. I've been commish on yahoo for two decades and I did not know this existed until just now.

Yeah, that's the case in my league. I've been commish on yahoo for two decades and I did not know this existed until just now.
I hear ya. I prefer it set to yes. That way, the minute the draft ends, I fill all my IR spots with hurt hopefuls. Also, Yahoo is very stupid. It sometimes allows you to have a player in an IR spot when he is active, and it will allow you to IR a player just because he is out for the week.

I just did with Williams. Depends how league is set up. It’ll give you an error if you need to drop someone.

If your league doesn’t have this setting turned on, my approach (if I have a kicker who is easily swappable…most are) I’ll do a quick: drop kicker, pick up IR player, put him on IR, pick up replacement kicker.

If your league doesn’t have this setting turned on, my approach (if I have a kicker who is easily swappable…most are) I’ll do a quick: drop kicker, pick up IR player, put him on IR, pick up replacement kicker.
I've done that but there is a guy in our league who says you have to have a full starting roster at all times, even though it isn't a rule....

I've done that but there is a guy in our league who says you have to have a full starting roster at all times, even though it isn't a rule....
You will have a full starting roster around 10 seconds after you make the first move. Is this guy in your league the commish? Or just one of the owners who is making up some unwritten code? My leagues have to have a full starting roster for game day, but if someone doesn’t have a kicker or D, say, during the week for some other moves, but then does a final move to ensure a full roster, it’s all good.

Many times this year I have played without a kicker. I drop the kicker to puck up whoever and then on Sunday I see if a kicker will matter or not. If I am blowing the guy out or getting blown out I stay without a kicker. I have 3 games with no kicker so far.

dunno but its pretty easy workaround though. Drop a kicker or defense if you dont keep the same one every week..... and if you do and there is a bye week near for them, whowever you intend to drop to cover bye weeks there just drop them for the injured player then add a kicker or defense to cover that bye week through fcfs. (Limited use of this late in the year obviously)

You have to drop a player, add player on IR, place him in your IR slot, opening up a spot to fill.
yeah, ok -- don't really want to drop anyone not on IR to get an IR player -- oh well - probably should drop Kupp anyway.
Drop your kicker temporarily, he's not near as valuable/important as you think

Many times this year I have played without a kicker. I drop the kicker to puck up whoever and then on Sunday I see if a kicker will matter or not. If I am blowing the guy out or getting blown out I stay without a kicker. I have 3 games with no kicker so far.
wow...interesting strategy ... Ive seen people play with a kicker or defense on a bye because they didnt want to drop anybody. I would be afraid of Karma biting me in the butt where it matters where you make the playoffs....or affects your playoff matchup in a negative way.

This seems crazy. You wouldn't know if you're 'getting blown out' or 'blowing him out" until at LEAST after the early games (even then that's way too early to call it as any late player could put up like 3tds and change the outcome completely). So even if you think you know after the early games, that means you'd have to pick up one of the late games kickers and drop a player that was playing in a late game???

You will have a full starting roster around 10 seconds after you make the first move. Is this guy in your league the commish? Or just one of the owners who is making up some unwritten code? My leagues have to have a full starting roster for game day, but if someone doesn’t have a kicker or D, say, during the week for some other moves, but then does a final move to ensure a full roster, it’s all good.
Doesnt really matter how long it takes. To allow it is to allow roster number manipulation. Quite honestly If I had to choose between the 2 rules I would take the roster manipulation over forcing teams to drop players just to fill an open roster spot. I mean, do I want to see teams leaving a bunch of roster spots open? No....BUT I also dont think its fair to make a team drop good players to other teams who have either drafted more poorly, managed their team more poorly, or had more injuries.

Honestly, I think most leagues that don't allow an IR'ed player to automatically be rostered into the IR spot simply didn't know the option existed in the first place. Play out the year as is, then make sure your commish knows how to make it so for next year. Plenty of options are available in Yahoo that commishes may not know about. For example, I am a league this year where the waiver wire priority system is the stupidest thing ever. It allows the last place team as many waiver picks as he/she wants, then it moves on to the next worst team. So, if any hot prospect is available, or a player of substance is dropped, the last place team ALWAYS gets first dibs, second dibs, third dibs, etc.

This seems crazy. You wouldn't know if you're 'getting blown out' or 'blowing him out" until at LEAST after the early games (even then that's way too early to call it as any late player could put up like 3tds and change the outcome completely). So even if you think you know after the early games, that means you'd have to pick up one of the late games kickers and drop a player that was playing in a late game???
I don't know what to tell you. I have done it 5 or 6 times this year and only one week I picked up a kicker because the game was close. I picked up the kicker and ended up winning. In the ither games I have won 4 of the 5

This seems crazy

It's not crazy. Adam Harstad of FBG has done work on exactly how close FF games are, and they're generally not close, it's just we remember the ones that are. And if it's close, you can generally know how your first set of games are going and you can pretty much just grab a kicker for the late games, it seems. It's something you have to check beforehand. I always watch, and this strategy -- I think -- is workable most weeks. It's not how I prefer to go about it, because. . .

in my mind, IR spots are for your own guys that go on IR and not for speculation. The pain of dropping a player offsets the speculation, at least in my mind. And as jobarules points out and as an answer to the OP's question, it IS a setting within Yahoo! The commish sets it or it defaults before the year. I tried last year or the year before to speculate, and was met with the setting.

I don't know what to tell you. I have done it 5 or 6 times this year and only one week I picked up a kicker because the game was close. I picked up the kicker and ended up winning. In the ither games I have won 4 of the 5
Again, when do you do it? Is it always right after the early slated games on Sunday?

Again, when do you do it? Is it always right after the early slated games on Sunday?
I have done it at all different times depending on what kickers are available and how the games are going. I have done it grabbing the Sunday night game. I have done it after Sunday and got a MNF kicker. I try and wait as long as possible but you need to have players set up properly to have a guy you ate willing to drop that also hasn't played as well as an available kicker in those games.

I have done it at all different times depending on what kickers are available and how the games are going. I have done it grabbing the Sunday night game. I have done it after Sunday and got a MNF kicker. I try and wait as long as possible but you need to have players set up properly to have a guy you ate willing to drop that also hasn't played as well as an available kicker in those games.
Just seems like this is one of those 'trying to be the smartest guy in the room" things (no offense intended). Especially since it's very often that a game can change very quickly and unexpectedly with a huge performance, and you're relying on a Sun Night or Mon kicker being available, and also very randomly that you're going to have the worst player on your roster, as playing one of those games. And with tiebreakers usually being points scored, not sure why you would risk missing the playoffs on a Points For tiebreaker just to hold on to some player that you don't even mind dropping if you needed to grab a kicker? Weird.

Somewhat related to this, Yahoo makes the "Out" designation eligible for IR so when a player is ruled out on Sunday you can IR them. Usually Tuesday they revert back to Questionable and you have moves to make. I feel like the "spirit" of IR slots is for longer term injuries, not Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning.

I'm the commish but he is one of the founding members and causes 90% of the drama. I goes back to when we used to play on CBS and it would show "illegal" lineup instead of the matchup preview if you didn't have a full starting roster . He also played in the league for 15 years without knowing rosters locked at 12:55 on Sunday but accused me of cheating when he needed to pickup a player before the Sunday night game and his roster was locked, fun times...

Just seems like this is one of those 'trying to be the smartest guy in the room" things (no offense intended). Especially since it's very often that a game can change very quickly and unexpectedly with a huge performance, and you're relying on a Sun Night or Mon kicker being available
How often is a game actually close? Of the times I have done this there has only been one game that was even close enough to worry about a kicker (kickers don't score a ton of points - 10 would be a solid week). I picked up the Sunday night kicker and I was down 14 pts going into the game. I also had another player going Monday and my opponent was done. The kicker scored me 10 which put me in striking distance and my MNF player won it for me (would have lost with no kicker).

Every other time I have done this the game wasn't close. A kicker made no difference (I have won 2 and lost 1....all by 25+ pts)

Just seems like this is one of those 'trying to be the smartest guy in the room" things (no offense intended). Especially since it's very often that a game can change very quickly and unexpectedly with a huge performance, and you're relying on a Sun Night or Mon kicker being available
How often is a game actually close? Of the times I have done this there has only been one game that was even close enough to worry about a kicker (kickers don't score a ton of points - 10 would be a solid week). I picked up the Sunday night kicker and I was down 14 pts going into the game. I also had another player going Monday and my opponent was done. The kicker scored me 10 which put me in striking distance and my MNF player won it for me (would have lost with no kicker).

Every other time I have done this the game wasn't close. A kicker made no difference (I have won 2 and lost 1....all by 25+ pts)
but has that random worst player on your team that happens to play sunday or monday night ever made a difference? Isn't total points your playoff tie breaker?

but has that random worst player on your team that happens to play sunday or monday night ever made a difference? Isn't total points your playoff tie breaker?
Tie break is total points. It could be an issue but likely won't be. I am solidly 2nd in points and have the tie break over the people around me by a significant amount.

Not sure what you are asking in regards to the "worst player".

Tie break is total points. It could be an issue but likely won't be. I am solidly 2nd in points and have the tie break over the people around me by a significant amount.

He’s just saying “drop your crappiest player and carry a kicker like everyone else” :)

Well there's a guy on your team that probably plays sun or mon night you see as expendable if you need to grab a kicker. Is holding onto said player really that helpful for your team when it COULD cost you a week or the tiebreak in points? I dunno, no point in going in circles but I just don't see much benefit at all to doing that and so many possible downsides. You say you have the tie break over the guys around you, but you would have no idea about this early in the year when you were using this move too.

Related to the no-kicker discussion (though nowhere near as creative), this was the first year in my yahoo league that I just didn't bother taking a kicker or defense in the initial draft, instead taking two guys who were starting the season on the injured list. Once rosters are in, you IR those two and then pick up whichever decent streamer defense/kicker options are there, of which there will definitely be a few.

It's reasonably low risk. There's a decent chance you need those IR slots early in the year and can't bank your drafted guys, but if so no real harm done.

Related to the no-kicker discussion (though nowhere near as creative), this was the first year in my yahoo league that I just didn't bother taking a kicker or defense in the initial draft, instead taking two guys who were starting the season on the injured list. Once rosters are in, you IR those two and then pick up whichever decent streamer defense/kicker options are there, of which there will definitely be a few.

It's reasonably low risk. There's a decent chance you need those IR slots early in the year and can't bank your drafted guys, but if so no real harm done.
I think that’s a great idea. Will make note to remember for next years draft.

Users who are viewing this thread