What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ZF25 vet draft (1 Viewer)

I almost feel bad complimenting the Chiefs as everyone else is seemingly doing so. It's a jinx man! Last year, I had a "perfect" draft according to everyone in my league, yet still found a way to barely miss the playoffs. :wall:I agree that D.Foster is a reach, but then again, if he does stay healthy then you got yourself one heck of a player.

I agree that D.Foster is a reach, but then again, if he does stay healthy then you got yourself one heck of a player.
So Foster was not the guy you had in mind? You'll have to post who it was after he gets drafted.

fightin' white can i get a PM with the player name too, i'm not in the league, but like to know who this player is if its not Foster or Droughns

Donnybrook and I were talking about Foster. He was supposed to go in about the fourth. I don't like the guy, but the 9th round? That's insanity - someone HAS to take him by the seventh even if they hate him.

Donnybrook and I were talking about Foster. He was supposed to go in about the fourth. I don't like the guy, but the 9th round? That's insanity - someone HAS to take him by the seventh even if they hate him.
:thumbup: Nice pick Haze, I take back all the bad things I said about you. ;)

fightin' white can i get a PM with the player name too, i'm not in the league, but like to know who this player is if its not Foster or Droughns
Actually, I was just messing around a little bit. I was thinking of D.Foster as well. I'm guilty of drinking his Kool-Aid, even though he's been injured for a majority of his career.

Did anyone else notice that J.P. Losman was picked last night at 10:30? I'm sure he'll go earlier in next week drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how the other commissioners picked their leagues, but I know that when I went through the applications in Z21, I did my best to pick good quality owners. I do remember being a little wary about accepting owners who had never been in an IDP league before, but I banked on the fact that as long as they were active, they could overcome that lack of experience.The initial veterans draft is important, but a bad pick here or there shouldn't "destroy" any team. IMO, being active is the #1 key to putting a quality team together in the Zealots. You can always get quality players through bidding on free agents, both during the season and in the offseason.

I'm not sure how the other commissioners picked their leagues, but I know that when I went through the applications in Z21, I did my best to pick good quality owners.
Currently I think Taz assigns them to the leagues based on need. IE - if one league is close to being completed someone will go to that team, unless someone requests a certain league. If you 'recruit' someone then they can join the league you are in.

I'm not sure how the other commissioners picked their leagues, but I know that when I went through the applications in Z21, I did my best to pick good quality owners.
Currently I think Taz assigns them to the leagues based on need. IE - if one league is close to being completed someone will go to that team, unless someone requests a certain league. If you 'recruit' someone then they can join the league you are in.
wow...that's a switch from last season...I was given about 15 or so applications...I sorted through them all and gave a couple back, who I didn't think would fit in. That being said, I'm extremely grateful and lucky to be the commish of Z21. All are pretty active and out of the 12 owners, 4 are now serving as commissioners. But I think Oscar let Herc be commish out of pity..... :boxing:

wow...that's a switch from last season...I was given about 15 or so applications...I sorted through them all and gave a couple back, who I didn't think would fit in. That being said, I'm extremely grateful and lucky to be the commish of Z21. All are pretty active and out of the 12 owners, 4 are now serving as commissioners. But I think Oscar let Herc be commish out of pity..... :boxing:
In my experience (Z29), Taz published lists of all the current new and veteran applicants and the commisioners reviewed them all and picked one or two they thought would fit best into their league. Ultimately, they all ended up in leagues, but the commisioners did have a great deal of freedom in formulating their league. Taz also made a point to ensure each league got its share of veteran zealots (other than the commish), which I think was a good idea.

I'm the commish of z34. We have a nice mix of veterans and IDP newbies. I brought four owners over from my local keeper league. We start our draft next Monday.Zealots is habit-forming, in my opinion. I decided to become commish just so I could do the 53-round draft again this year. It's not for the timid.Since my draft hasn't happened yet and fellow leaguemates are watching, I'll just say this. I loved seeing the guys that dropped to 1.10, which is my first pick.

Titans,Only problem with that is now people have a guideline - I dubt the same players fall again.Will be fun to watch. Good luck with your draft/

I'm the commish of z34. We have a nice mix of veterans and IDP newbies. I brought four owners over from my local keeper league. We start our draft next Monday.Zealots is habit-forming, in my opinion. I decided to become commish just so I could do the 53-round draft again this year. It's not for the timid.Since my draft hasn't happened yet and fellow leaguemates are watching, I'll just say this. I loved seeing the guys that dropped to 1.10, which is my first pick.
I seriously doubt they are watching. Come on...tell us.

I really like what Detroit Lions is doing. Cobbs at 16.05, Foster at 9.03, and Perry at 8.08. Wow. About the only thing I don't like about Detroit's roster is his QBs. There's no way that I take Palmer over Roethlisberger, although I seem to be in the minority on that one. At any rate, my experience with these leagues is that it's not worth it to take any IDPs until at least round 10. I don't think I took my first until round 15 last year and defense actually ended up being one of my team's strengths.

I really like what Detroit Lions is doing. Cobbs at 16.05, Foster at 9.03, and Perry at 8.08. Wow.
Yeah, I think I got incredible value on those backs. Had I known it was gonna play out like this, I probably would have done some different stuff in the first few rounds. Oh well, with that deep stable and the 1.01 rook, I should be able to fill pretty much any need area in a trade without damaging my squad too much. At least that's the hope...
About the only thing I don't like about Detroit's roster is his QBs. There's no way that I take Palmer over Roethlisberger, although I seem to be in the minority on that one.
I could be wrong but to me, the stage is set for CP to emerge as the next stud QB. I was definately targeting him hard and briefly considered pulling the trigger in the 5th. Ben may get there too, but I just see a little more risk there. Still a very worthy dynasty QB and he was certainly part of a contingency plan, had someone else got to Palmer before I did.
At any rate, my experience with these leagues is that it's not worth it to take any IDPs until at least round 10. I don't think I took my first until round 15 last year and defense actually ended up being one of my team's strengths
Generally true. With Udezi and Kiel there for me at the 17/18 turn and some very intriguing possibilities still on the board, waiting on IDP seems to be the way to go. However, I went Peppers with 8.09 and I'm glad I did. DL seems to be the hardest defensive position to find consistent production and when the clear cut #1 is so young, it makes a lot of sense to be a little agressive in obtaining him. I know the Dolphins would have pulled the trigger at 9.05, so it wasn't much of a reach. But I'd hold off like you said on any other IDP.

I seriously doubt they are watching. Come on...tell us.
Yeah, tell us.

Haze, I can't believe the stuff that's fallen to you. Great team you're building, but it's almost a little embarrassing - I've been projecting which round I need to pick players in if I want to get them, and you're getting guys four and five rounds after the point where they're supposed to be taken.I mean, on one hand, you've done a great job of grabbing the guys who slipped through the cracks. On the other hand, though, why didn't you take Foster in the 8th? Cobbs in the 15th? If they had been taken by someone else, you'd be kicking yourself for waiting longer than you should have. I guess that's fine if they weren't players you were targeting, though...

Haze, I can't believe the stuff that's fallen to you. Great team you're building, but it's almost a little embarrassing - I've been projecting which round I need to pick players in if I want to get them, and you're getting guys four and five rounds after the point where they're supposed to be taken.I mean, on one hand, you've done a great job of grabbing the guys who slipped through the cracks. On the other hand, though, why didn't you take Foster in the 8th? Cobbs in the 15th? If they had been taken by someone else, you'd be kicking yourself for waiting longer than you should have. I guess that's fine if they weren't players you were targeting, though...
I feel pretty confident in saying he won't have the same luck in Game Breakers.He may still have an awesome draft, but a few of those guys would be on my roster 5 round before this.

On the other hand, though, why didn't you take Foster in the 8th? Cobbs in the 15th? If they had been taken by someone else, you'd be kicking yourself for waiting longer than you should have. I guess that's fine if they weren't players you were targeting, though...
Foster is just a guy I'm not that high on in genersl. It was kind of a "why doesn't someone else hurry up and draft this guy so I can get him off my list" thing from about round 5 on. By the 9th, there was just no way I could continue to let him fall any further despite my personal feelings on him. If nothing else, I should be able to earn back more then the pick value in a trade down the line. As far as the specifics of the 8th round picks, I went with Perry and Peppers, both of whom I'd rather have on this team then Foster. Perry (although he pretty much missed 04 with injuries) has less of an injury history then Foster and since I was planning on holding off for the bulk of my IDP, I wanted one young difference maker fairly early to offset my perceived "weakness" on that side of the ball. If someone else would have taken Foster before me, no worries.Cobbs I admit to letting fall too far. But with 5 RB already and the rook 1.01, I was shooting for guys that had more of a defined role for me. It was tough to pass on him in rounds 11+ and I was really expecting someone else to pull the trigger every time I did. And it would have stung a bit to see it happen as I think he can be a real good one when his chance opens up. By round 16 it didn't matter if I had 10 RB. I just could not leave him on the board any longer.I do agree with your general perspective that this is a very non-conventional draft. Lots and lots of picks that I would not necessarily make, but who knows? Should be interesting to see how it plays out...

I feel pretty confident in saying he won't have the same luck in Game Breakers.He may still have an awesome draft, but a few of those guys would be on my roster 5 round before this.
Exactly. And that's a good part of the reason I'm hesitant to trade down. Loved doing in ZF22/25, where I felt that there was a good chance of players dropping (but I never imagined to this extent). I just don't see it happening too much in GB.

This was my problem with the ZFL leagues - there were always a bunch of amateurs in each one.
Hey, everybody has to start somewhere and ZF seems to be the entry point into IDP leagues for many owners. I was in that boat last year, and I'm sure I made plenty of tactical errors along the way. I'm confident that most will adapt quickly and develop into much stronger owners over the course of the year. I think I did and if I can, so can anyone. :D That being said, there does seem to be a lot of "unconventional" picks here in Z25. In a sense I like it, because it means people are doing their own thinking and not following in lockstep with consensus ratings. But on the other hand, too many failed risks in the vet draft will leave a team in woeful shape for years. There are a few different schools of thought in vet drafts as owners balance "win now" vs. "build for the future" differently. I know I've taken some negative feedback at times for my moves, but I've been satisfied with how I've built my teams. And as long as the rest of the owners feel the same way, that's good enough for me.
Yeah, I just joined Z30 with Aaron commishing and I've never played with IDP before either. Hope I don't do anything stupid, but looking at past drafts is a good start at least for where IDPs start going.

Hello all, didn't even realize you guys were talking about our draft. I have been a little busy with the draft and also filling 12 leagues at once. Let me inject a little about my thoughts on my trade with the Lions and also on the draft itself.First off, I loved doing that trade. Being able to secure a dominating running back (Stephen Alexander) and also Peyton Manning was something I wanted to do right from the start. Both of these guys will be on my team for years and with 6 pts per passing TD, Manning is a monster. He was a main reason I won Z17 last year.I also do not have a lot of love for the early picks in this years draft. I do have a couple of deeper picks for the later rounds that I will hold onto. The one bad thing that came from giving up a 2nd and 4th round vet was that I knew my RB 2 and 3 would be a little insufficient, but that is a short term problem, and I think I have picked up a couple of players that will help that too with Duckett and Mewelde Moore. Also I still think that Pittman can have a couple more good years, and if he does I am golden.As to the draft, there were some picks that were not conventional, but I like Rob, agree that is good, as I hate doing drafts where people are all picking off the same lists. And while I lost out on some real good picks that I wanted, thinking that I could get them in the next round, I feel I more than made up for those shortcomings with possibly one of the best defensive teams in the league.I like the way my team is coming together and I absolutely feel that I will playing in the playoffs this year.

Dillon at 1.04 is a joke.
WHAT !! You mean I didn't have to trade up from 1.06 to 1.04 in Z34 for our vet draft tomorrow to pick him up ?? Did so based on watching my first Zealots draft ever ... :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread