What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** FFA Heavy Music Thread - No banal, anodyne "Dad Rock" BS here.. (1 Viewer)

Dream Theater could have been one of my all time favorite bands if the singer didn't suck.
I get that some do not like him, but he was perfectly suited for their music. 

This, but also every time I try to give a good listen I hear wankery just for wankery's sake.  
They have their moments of "wankery for wankery's sake," but they write great songs as well.  

LTE is really good. The tough thing with all these shredding virtuosos is it feels to me like they're all recycling what Joe Satriani did 30 years ago. I think there's plenty of new ground to be covered in heavy music, but I have had it with most shredding. 
The funny thing is, despite my love for Dream Theater (and LTE), I usually shy away from shredding - I have no use for Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, etc. - but the musicality and songwriting of Dream Theater really sucked me in.  

Not even just shredding.  I know 0 about guitar, so I might not be stating this correctly.  I was poking around watching drumming videos of covers.  I used to drum a little bit, so I still very much focus on that.   Anyway, I was poking around and looking up lists of the hardest drum songs to play.  Of course Tool and DT were up there with lots of talk about polyrhythms and lots of time signatures.   I listen to a Tool song and even though it's complex, it still flows together.  I listen to DT, and like I said, it just sounds like wankery and a bit "look at us".   I don't throw the word around much, but pretentious does come to mind when I try to listen to DT.  Talented as all get out though.  
Well, there's obviously a lot of differences between the bands. Tool is going for a much more somber, serious sound. So wankery wouldn't fit into that sound. Part of this is knowing your audience. When people went to hear Charlie Parker play, they expected virtuoso playing and they got it. When people go see Dream Theater, there are plenty of musicians in the audience and they expect shredding. 

I'll never get enough Bonded by Blood.  Never gets old.  I loved the later Exodus stuff like Fabulous Disaster and Pleasures of the Flesh, but they don't hold up like Bonded does.  So, so good.  
I didn't care about Exodus CDs for a long time. But if you don't own The Atrocity Exhibitions, go out and buy it. One of the best newer metal albums in years. 

I feel like Tool tricks you into thinking you’re listening to a pretty straightforward rock/metal song until you pay attention to all the moving parts and then you’re left with your jaw on the floor wondering how they did it. This is coming from someone who isn’t really even a huge fan. 
Tool and Soundgarden did great things with alternate time signatures in that it didn't sound like a trick, it just sounded dope. 

The funny thing is, despite my love for Dream Theater (and LTE), I usually shy away from shredding - I have no use for Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, etc. - but the musicality and songwriting of Dream Theater really sucked me in.  
Don't get me wrong: I was blown away when I first heard Pull Me Under, and I watched that video on MTV 100 times. You say that DT's singer is perfect for the band. But I don't see it that way. A Bruce Dickenson would have changed that band for the better. 

Grammy-nominated metal band Ghost addresses ‘satanic’ accusations: ‘There are other music styles that promote a way worse lifestyle’

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/grammy-nominated-metal-band-ghost-addresses-satanic-accusations-music-styles-promote-way-worse-lifestyle-175537647.html

Last November, Larry Long, the pastor of the Fellowship Community Church, said Midland needed to be protected from the supposedly devil-worshiping group, warning a local CBS affiliate, “This kind of band will bring spiritual influences into this area. We’re concerned about it, because we believe the devil is real, just as we believe God is real. … I think if [young fans are] singing along to those lyrics, who knows what in the world they’re opening their hearts and lives up to?”

Ghost’s Midland show went on as planned, of course. “At the end of the day, what [the Fellowship Community Church] caused was more tickets sold — so thank you very much,” Forge chuckles.

BTW,

I know I bring em up a lot, but to me the new Rival Sons album Feral Roots is freaking amazing, its not super heavy by any means, but they are really hitting their stride as a band with one, I didn't care too much for their last one Hollow Bones, and their entire back catalog is excellent.

BTW,

I know I bring em up a lot, but to me the new Rival Sons album Feral Roots is freaking amazing, its not super heavy by any means, but they are really hitting their stride as a band with one, I didn't care too much for their last one Hollow Bones, and their entire back catalog is excellent.
Love this band...what I've heard anyway. Don't have any albums but have listened to a bunch on YouTube.

Seeing Archspire in Oakland in May :thumbup:
sweet ya im going to them as well.  just got into them hard last year.  listened to relentless mutation probably more than anything else throughout the year.  that last tour opening for obscura/beyond creation was the goods.  hoping for some new tunes soon

you see their guitar/bass playthrough videos?  cool ####

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LznoJJegMzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPIVEixQ2yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9kosVvlb_M

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet ya im going to them as well.  just got into them hard last year.  listened to relentless mutation probably more than anything else throughout the year.  that last tour opening for obscura/beyond creation was the goods.  hoping for some new tunes soon
I'm more interested in prog death metal, like Rivers Of Nihil. But I do appreciate the shreddery of Archspire. 

Some good stuff there;

INTER ARMA – “CITADEL”  - I've always leaned more towards doom and this is right up my alley.

SPOTLIGHTS – “THE AGE OF DECAY” - Cool song. Kinda deafheaven-ish.

SIGNO ROJO - interesting sound. Really like it, although I'm not sure how much variety they can produce.

THEORIES – “HUMAN VESSEL CELL” - that drumming is pretty insane.

******* NOISE – “MANDATORY HUMAN EXIT” - woah…wtf! I can dig it! Not sure how much of it though. It gives me hope for some random noises I've been working on.

DENZEL CURRY – “BULLS ON PARADE” - nice cover of RAtM.

Thanks for the link. I noticed a bunch coming out of NY. Not sure if it was just exposure from the Brooklyn website, or is a scene developing in NY?

jamny said:
Some good stuff there;

INTER ARMA – “CITADEL”  - I've always leaned more towards doom and this is right up my alley.

SPOTLIGHTS – “THE AGE OF DECAY” - Cool song. Kinda deafheaven-ish.

SIGNO ROJO - interesting sound. Really like it, although I'm not sure how much variety they can produce.

THEORIES – “HUMAN VESSEL CELL” - that drumming is pretty insane.

******* NOISE – “MANDATORY HUMAN EXIT” - woah…wtf! I can dig it! Not sure how much of it though. It gives me hope for some random noises I've been working on.

DENZEL CURRY – “BULLS ON PARADE” - nice cover of RAtM.

Thanks for the link. I noticed a bunch coming out of NY. Not sure if it was just exposure from the Brooklyn website, or is a scene developing in NY?
Everytime someone mentions N.Y. metal, I always think of Prong.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFaUELkUEuk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSS4fovi0cs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPInJwJqzw

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal heads make fun of Motley Crue, and for good reason. But I saw them in like 1983 on the Shout At The Devil tour, and it was epic. 
shout at the devil, pyromania, metal health and van halen put hair metal on the map to stay....for about 6 years.....and it burned out fast....

I still spin too fast for love and shout at the devil all the time....and home sweet home....

Metal heads make fun of Motley Crue, and for good reason. But I saw them in like 1983 on the Shout At The Devil tour, and it was epic. 
First big show I ever saw was the Girls Girls Girls tour in New Orleans.   Blew my mind.  They were chugging bottles of Jack right before Tommy's upside down spinning drum solo.  That #### changed my life. 

Users who are viewing this thread