What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (4 Viewers)

Northridge 4x4 is a great place to start for ordering components:

LIFT KIT: $900-1725

Install costs likely $250-750ish depending on what you pick.

Great basic lift: Rubicon Express JK 4 Door, 3.5" Standard Coil Lift Kit - Mono Tube Shocks - RE7142M - $899
Awesome lift:
AEV JK 2007-15 DUALSPORT SC SUSPENSION 3.5" 4 DOOR - N0234100AA - $1725

WHEELS: $500-1250

Wheel Options @ Northridge 4x4
Wheel Options @ 4 Wheel Parts

You've got a wide range of options from $100-250ea. I suggest alloy wheels for their lower weight and lower rolling resistance, but if you wanted to go "Cheap" You can get steel wheels if you wanted. TLDR Solution: hat is most important is you need what's called "5 on 5" lug pattern (the bolts that attach the wheels to the axles)... that means 5 lugs on a 5" diameter hub/ring.

Next you need to consider backspacing, which is how far out the wheel sits from the lugs themselves. This matters when you move to larger (35/37" tires) because they are generally wider (12.5" wide) and that, coupled with the larger diameter will make them rub when you turn. That is no bueno. There is a great discussion of this here. Bottom line, you need an additional 1.5" of offset (outward from the body) to accommodate. TLDR Solution: If you want to keep the factory wheels, simply get 1.5" wheel spacers (pucks that move the wheels outward). IF you're buying new wheels, get wheels with 4.5" of backspacing.

TIRES: $1500-1750
There's no big secret here... you're picking between a 35" and 37" diameter tire. With a 3.5" lift you can comfortably fit 37" tires for the type of wheeling you will be doing. Larger tires have more rolling resistance and are harder for the stock gears to turn (think about a mountain bike in the wrong gear, how you have to stand on the pedals to turn the wheels? It's like that.). In either event I would HIGHLY recommend you get a jeep with 4.10 gears in the axles if you're going to be going with 35"+ tires. This gear ratio is stock with the Rubicon. It appears it may NOT be available with other models based on the website. Less critical but still somewhat important, you may want to get a Dana 44 axle up front (stronger than Dana 30)... again, stock in Rubicon, available in others.
EDIT: upon closer look at the tourque band of the Pentastar engine, and the drive gear ratios using this calculator, the 3.73 gearing wouldn't be a deal breaker. TLDR: Just be sure to get 3.73 or 4.10 gears in your axles.

From that point, any 35 or 37" tire will work for you. We can help you shop around a bit but I would budget around $1750 for 5 good tires.

FRONT BUMPERS: $250-1350

Install costs likely $100-300 depending on what you pick.
Here is where you start to really customize the look of your rig. Do you want a huge battering ram out front? A narrow stubby bumper? Do you want a grille-hoop? Do you want a winch or not? Browse and make the call! We're here to offer feedback.

LINK TO JEEP JK BUMPERS >

SIDE ARMOR / SLIDERS: $200-1000

Looking to protect that body against trees.... boulders....or shopping carts? The Rubicon comes with rock sliders, but if you opt for a lesser model, you can get sliders bolted on. As with anything Jeep related there is a massive array of options. They range from basic function/look to "you can bounce this #### off giant boulders with reckless abandon. This isn't critical, but at least some basic protection is likely wise.

LINK TO JEEP JK SLIDER OPTIONS >

FLAT FENDER FLARES: $600-1750
Install costs likely $100-600 depending on what you pick.

Looking for that cool flat-fendered look. I'm your huckleberry. Some cheaper options are durable plastic designed to look cool but not offer much protection. Others are thick tube steel designed to support your vehicle if you roll over, or bounce off trees/rocks. You don't really need the latter, but it's an option so I'm showing it. This add-on is VERY optional as the jeep JK fender flares are pretty nice looking, particularly with the Sahara models. That said, some folks love the flat-fendered look.

LINK TO JEEP FLAT FENDER FLARES >

ONE THING TO CONSIDER: SELL YOUR "USED" PARTS
If you're taking off new factory wheels/tires/bumpers/etc... don't let the shop just keep them. They are worth money. Selling your factory #### to finance your aftermarket #### is a time-honored tradition in jeeping. When I wanted to upgrade to a built Dana 44 Rear axle in my jeep (alloy shafts, diff armor, etc) for $1100, I sold my factory Dana 35 to a buddy who had blown his up for $500. Boom. Half price upgrade. When I wanted TNT steel tube fenders for $700, I sold my factory fenders to a guy who had been in a wreck for $500. Boom. 70% off fenders.

Anything else you're looking at? LIghting? Snorkel so you can drive through 6' of water? Cool looking hoods or racks? Cool open-air "rock doors"?

Last edited by a moderator:
The suspension on that isn't as good as the one quoted above. ProComp isn't bad stuff but it's not as good as rubicon express. I'm guessing the shocks are procomp too which is a huge step down from fox. Again, not bad, but about on par with stock. Just FYI.

My PERSONAL VOTE: if you have a 4wheel parts or reputable off-road shop nearby that can do the work, I would buy the factory one and have them add the lift/wheels/tires/winch/bumper. Could get better gear for $14k IMO.

These guys get good reviews on pirate 4x4 which is about as good as it gets:

http://tntmonstertruck.com/
Thanks for this link GB. Maybe you're right on this. I actually like the Saharas better than the Sport anyway. So maybe I'll pick up a stock Sahara and then send it over to this guy for the wheels/ilft/winch.

Much appreciated.
Why do you need a winch? :lmao: The Rocky Ridge is a damn nice vehicle though. :thumbup:
For the mall and stuff. Maybe Target.

Northridge 4x4 is a great place to start for ordering components:

LIFT KIT: $900-1725

Install costs likely $250-750ish depending on what you pick.

Great basic lift: Rubicon Express JK 4 Door, 3.5" Standard Coil Lift Kit - Mono Tube Shocks - RE7142M - $899

Awesome lift: AEV JK 2007-15 DUALSPORT SC SUSPENSION 3.5" 4 DOOR - N0234100AA - $1725

WHEELS: $500-1250

Wheel Options @ Northridge 4x4

Wheel Options @ 4 Wheel Parts

You've got a wide range of options from $100-250ea. I suggest alloy wheels for their lower weight and lower rolling resistance, but if you wanted to go "Cheap" You can get steel wheels if you wanted. TLDR Solution: hat is most important is you need what's called "5 on 5" lug pattern (the bolts that attach the wheels to the axles)... that means 5 lugs on a 5" diameter hub/ring.

Next you need to consider backspacing, which is how far out the wheel sits from the lugs themselves. This matters when you move to larger (35/37" tires) because they are generally wider (12.5" wide) and that, coupled with the larger diameter will make them rub when you turn. That is no bueno. There is a great discussion of this here. Bottom line, you need an additional 1.5" of offset (outward from the body) to accommodate. TLDR Solution: If you want to keep the factory wheels, simply get 1.5" wheel spacers (pucks that move the wheels outward). IF you're buying new wheels, get wheels with 4.5" of backspacing.

TIRES: $1500-1750

There's no big secret here... you're picking between a 35" and 37" diameter tire. With a 3.5" lift you can comfortably fit 37" tires for the type of wheeling you will be doing. Larger tires have more rolling resistance and are harder for the stock gears to turn (think about a mountain bike in the wrong gear, how you have to stand on the pedals to turn the wheels? It's like that.). In either event I would HIGHLY recommend you get a jeep with 4.10 gears in the axles if you're going to be going with 35"+ tires. This gear ratio is stock with the Rubicon but available in other models as well. Less critical but still somewhat important, you may want to get a Dana 44 axle up front (stronger than Dana 30)... again, stock in Rubicon, available in others.

From that point, any 35 or 37" tire will work for you. We can help you shop around a bit but I would budget around $1750 for 5 good tires.

FRONT BUMPERS: $250-1350

Here is where you start to really customize the look of your rig. Do you want a huge battering ram out front? A narrow stubby bumper? Do you want a grille-hoop? Do you want a winch or not? Browse and make the call! We're here to offer feedback.

LINK TO JEEP JK BUMPERS >

SIDE ARMOR / SLIDERS: $200-1000

Looking to protect that body against trees.... boulders....or shopping carts? The Rubicon comes with rock sliders, but if you opt for a lesser model, you can get sliders bolted on. As with anything Jeep related there is a massive array of options. They range from basic function/look to "you can bounce this #### off giant boulders with reckless abandon. This isn't critical, but at least some basic protection is likely wise.

LINK TO JEEP JK SLIDER OPTIONS >

FLAT FENDER FLARES: $600-1750

Install costs likely $100-600 depending on what you pick.

Looking for that cool flat-fendered look. I'm your huckleberry. Some cheaper options are durable plastic designed to look cool but not offer much protection. Others are thick tube steel designed to support your vehicle if you roll over, or bounce off trees/rocks. You don't really need the latter, but it's an option so I'm showing it. This add-on is VERY optional as the jeep JK fender flares are pretty nice looking, particularly with the Sahara models. That said, some folks love the flat-fendered look.

LINK TO JEEP FLAT FENDER FLARES >

ONE THING TO CONSIDER: SELL YOUR "USED" PARTS

If you're taking off new factory wheels/tires/bumpers/etc... don't let the shop just keep them. They are worth money. Selling your factory #### to finance your aftermarket #### is a time-honored tradition in jeeping. When I wanted to upgrade to a built Dana 44 Rear axle in my jeep (alloy shafts, diff armor, etc) for $1100, I sold my factory Dana 35 to a buddy who had blown his up for $500. Boom. Half price upgrade. When I wanted TNT steel tube fenders for $700, I sold my factory fenders to a guy who had been in a wreck for $500. Boom. 70% off fenders.

Anything else you're looking at? LIghting? Snorkel so you can drive through 6' of water? Cool looking hoods or racks? Cool open-air "rock doors"?
Awesome stuff.

Bottom Line: If you find a jeep you like and are okay with he factory wheels, you can get it set up with the desired lift/tires/bumpers/wheel-spacers for $4000ish installed.... $5000ish will get you a premium AEV suspension (ride a little better). Don't spend $12-14k for bigger wheels and a lift. We can get you exactly what you want, cheaper. :thumbup:

Updated the info above.

It's pretty much critical you'll want 3.73 or 4.10 gears in whatever you buy if you're going for 35" tires. That should be a deal-breaker in any jeep you purchase. Re-gearing is expensive ($2000) once you realize the jeep drives like #### with too-low gearing.

I could put together a great set of gear to build out a new JK to look as good or better than that rig for $5-7 range plus install labor.
Hmmmm. Now this is interesting.
I'll get some stuff together in the AM. I would make sure you have 4.11 gears in the axles if you're going to be running 35-37" tires. Will make a dramatic difference in driveability (not sluggish)
jesus, that is so much 4x4 for a rig that will never see the trail :sadbanana:

Bottom Line: If you find a jeep you like and are okay with he factory wheels, you can get it set up with the desired lift/tires/bumpers/wheel-spacers for $4000ish installed.... $5000ish will get you a premium AEV suspension (ride a little better). Don't spend $12-14k for bigger wheels and a lift. We can get you exactly what you want, cheaper. :thumbup:

Updated the info above.

It's pretty much critical you'll want 3.73 or 4.10 gears in whatever you buy if you're going for 35" tires. That should be a deal-breaker in any jeep you purchase. Re-gearing is expensive ($2000) once you realize the jeep drives like #### with too-low gearing.
35-37 i would go even taller on the gearing no? He is not hitting the trail so dont need to worry about the strength.

Otis is just trolling icon, right?
I'm helping in good faith here, but that's certainly possible. If so, no biggie.... The info will be here going forward in for those that do :lol:

But I do get the feeling he's pretty sincerely on the cusp of taking the plunge. We shall see :popcorn:

Updated the info above.

Oates head exploding

:whoosh:

Updated the info above.

35-37 i would go even taller on the gearing no? He is not hitting the trail so dont need to worry about the strength.
That's what I initially thought given my more extensive knowledge with TJs/4.0. HOwever the combo of the tourque curve of the Pentastar 3.6 engine and the gearing of the 5spd auto in the 2012+ JKs, that's no longer the case. I was pleasantly surprised with how little gear they need. That pentastar is a great little engine, making peak torque by 2000 rpm or so.

RPM Breakout of 12+ JK Auto + 3.73 gears + 35" tires (Final gear very happy at 70-80mph)

RPM Breakout of 12+ JK Auto + 3.73 gears + 37" tires (Final gear still very happy at 70-80)

I'm as surprised as you. Love that extra gear in the JK 12+ Auto :thumbup:

Updated the info above.

Oates head exploding

YEah that's why I put that in red.... I could see him falling in love with a rig on the lot with 3.23 gears and then wondering why his 0-60 time is 2 minutes and he's getting 7mpg :lol:

That gear ratio is a big one... 3.73 to 4.10 is important.

But yeah.. you can go down a rabbit hole a bit when you start digging in this stuff. That said... many many people build the wrong way once... spend many thousands... THEN learn the right way. This driveline stuff makes a MASSIVE difference in how well your jeep will drive for the duration of your owning it. Do the math twice, build once. :)

There's a reason local dealerships actually have guys from our club come out and train their sales staff... the average salesman knows about 20% of what they should know when selling these things.

[icon] said:
the moops said:
I'm helping in good faith here, but that's certainly possible. If so, no biggie.... The info will be here going forward in for those that do :lol:

But I do get the feeling he's pretty sincerely on the cusp of taking the plunge. We shall see :popcorn:
I wouldn't toll my GB icon. He's been super helpful. I really have been at two dealerships. FB friends can :confirm: this is being seriously considered.

WhatDoIKnow said:
Otis said:
WhatDoIKnow said:
Otis said:
[icon] said:
The suspension on that isn't as good as the one quoted above. ProComp isn't bad stuff but it's not as good as rubicon express. I'm guessing the shocks are procomp too which is a huge step down from fox. Again, not bad, but about on par with stock. Just FYI.

My PERSONAL VOTE: if you have a 4wheel parts or reputable off-road shop nearby that can do the work, I would buy the factory one and have them add the lift/wheels/tires/winch/bumper. Could get better gear for $14k IMO.

These guys get good reviews on pirate 4x4 which is about as good as it gets:

http://tntmonstertruck.com/
Thanks for this link GB. Maybe you're right on this. I actually like the Saharas better than the Sport anyway. So maybe I'll pick up a stock Sahara and then send it over to this guy for the wheels/ilft/winch.

Much appreciated.
Why do you need a winch? :lmao: The Rocky Ridge is a damn nice vehicle though. :thumbup:
For the mall and stuff. Maybe Target.
Maybe it was posted in here already. Finding a parking spot.
:lmao:

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
[icon] said:

Updated the info above.

Oates head exploding

I'll be honest. I don't know what any of this means. And those Rocky Ridge vehicles keep looking at me and they're so awesome. And they require zero additional time and effort on my part. Instant gratification is a powerful drug.

I also learned something helpful. The stupid mountain decals on the side of other Rocky Ridge vehicles that I've written off? They're just stickers and can be easily removed. That puts a few others in play. Maybe I'll just splurge.

In any event, just in case someone can find a stock Sahara locally that I like, I spoke to a guy at that link you posted icon. He agreed Rocky Ridge is overpriced and is looking into pricing for doing that same work for me. We'll see.

The new dealer today had a Copper Brown one, with the funky hood, snorkel, LED light bar, and all sorts of insane LED lights in front. The thing looks totally ridiculous. And so so tempting.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
[icon] said:

Updated the info above.

Oates head exploding

I'll be honest. I don't know what any of this means. And those Rocky Ridge vehicles keep looking at me and they're so awesome. And they require zero additional time and effort on my part. Instant gratification is a powerful drug.

I also learned something helpful. The stupid mountain decals on the side of other Rocky Ridge vehicles that I've written off? They're just stickers and can be easily removed. That puts a few others in play. Maybe I'll just splurge.

In any event, just in case someone can find a stock Sahara locally that I like, I spoke to a guy at that link you posted icon. He agreed Rocky Ridge is overpriced and is looking into pricing for doing that same work for me. We'll see.

The new dealer today had a Copper Brown one, with the funky hood, snorkel, LED light bar, and all sorts of insane LED lights in front. The thing looks totally ridiculous. And so so tempting.
As [icon] mentioned earlier, you can always look into selling off the parts you don't want. You would look BA driving around the city with a snorkel. Ready for the zombie apocalypse.
The snorkel is totally over the top. I'm assuming I could remove that and sell it. Or hell, just keep it, and be ready for anything.

Most snorkels involve cutting holes in the cowl or side fender. Not an easy item to reverse. Leaving them on can SLIGHTLY help fuel economy though by way of acting like a cold air intake.

[icon] said:
the moops said:

I think the real question is Otis and Icon the same person???

[icon] said:
ragincajun said:
Sexy. Little nervous about OEM axles and 37s for you ;)
Good catch. :snap:
[icon] said:
ragincajun said:
Sexy. Little nervous about OEM axles and 37s for you ;)
Good catch. :snap:
Yep... having seen pics of your old rigs in action, you're a guy who's going to actually put a heep through it's paces pretty good. Mostly street with occasional field ride can probably get by on 37s/D44 combo... I'm guessing you'd be on borrowed time right out of the gate, until you dropped in alloys at least.

I blew my D30 front end 2-3x each side before getting alloys. No issues since. Never a peep out of my D44 in back with alloys. Thankfully I've never grenaded a diff.

C'mon Oats...pull the trigger.
I'm on the fence. Can't decide what to do here.

Here's the one I almost bought, and which my wife thinks is absurd:

http://www.gardencityjeepchryslerdodge.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-b5ad574d0a0a00de01ba0f83dc097adf.htm

I'm sort of torn on the tank color now. I initially was looking black, and always loved the black ones or the dark grey ones.

Today I was loving this copper brown one, just very unique looking:

http://www.westburyjeep.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-de95b7d20a0a00e00cbb8b39e01032bd.htm

It's a bunch more coin, and a bunch more ridiculous looking. Those LEDs?!?! The snorkel? Obscene. But of course, that's what makes it so incredibly awesome.

I actually like this one, but I'm not sure I'm really that crazy about white:

http://www.gardencityjeepchryslerdodge.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-c311f52b0a0a00de271316fc0ca1b7d8.htm

(If it were black, I'd have bought this one already)

This anvil color is pretty epic, and now that I learned the stickers are just stickers, I suppose it's an option:

http://www.gardencityjeepchryslerdodge.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-c84fe0370a0a0065040020d85c17a32c.htm

And of course my dealer has a couple of all black Saharas in stock. I could do that, and then go the icon route of customizing it myself. But honestly, if I could just find one already done, that would be ideal. I barely have the time to do much of anything and I'm consumed with work and family lately. Even finding the time to go look at these has been difficult; the notion of making multiple trips back and forth to some guy an hour away who is doing customizing for me? That's just a lot.

:shrug:

C'mon Oats...pull the trigger.
I'm on the fence. Can't decide what to do here.

Here's the one I almost bought, and which my wife thinks is absurd:

http://www.gardencityjeepchryslerdodge.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-b5ad574d0a0a00de01ba0f83dc097adf.htm

I'm sort of torn on the tank color now. I initially was looking black, and always loved the black ones or the dark grey ones.

Today I was loving this copper brown one, just very unique looking:

http://www.westburyjeep.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-de95b7d20a0a00e00cbb8b39e01032bd.htm

It's a bunch more coin, and a bunch more ridiculous looking. Those LEDs?!?! The snorkel? Obscene. But of course, that's what makes it so incredibly awesome.

I actually like this one, but I'm not sure I'm really that crazy about white:

http://www.gardencityjeepchryslerdodge.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-c311f52b0a0a00de271316fc0ca1b7d8.htm

(If it were black, I'd have bought this one already)

This anvil color is pretty epic, and now that I learned the stickers are just stickers, I suppose it's an option:

http://www.gardencityjeepchryslerdodge.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-c84fe0370a0a0065040020d85c17a32c.htm

And of course my dealer has a couple of all black Saharas in stock. I could do that, and then go the icon route of customizing it myself. But honestly, if I could just find one already done, that would be ideal. I barely have the time to do much of anything and I'm consumed with work and family lately. Even finding the time to go look at these has been difficult; the notion of making multiple trips back and forth to some guy an hour away who is doing customizing for me? That's just a lot.

:shrug:
Go all black Sahara, drop it off at the shop and go pick it up once it's done? :shrug:

I dig the copper color, but not much else about that one. Too over the top for me, but I prefer a more basic classic style. The graphic on the side would get old to me quick.

I like white with black wheels. :shrug:
Oh, the graphics/decals are horrible. They would go. I asked that today, and he told me they are just stickers and can easily be removed. Apparently most customers dropping 60 grand on a truck make them remove stupid stickers before they drive out. Go figure.

With that said, if you imagine it without the stickers, still over the top you think?

By the way, I would also have them remove the stupid ROCKY RIDGE decal off the windshield. I bought the car, you can pay for your own damn billboard.

I dig the copper color, but not much else about that one. Too over the top for me, but I prefer a more basic classic style. The graphic on the side would get old to me quick.

I like white with black wheels. :shrug:
White one I saw today without the decals...

http://www.westburyjeep.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-Long+Island-3ad65f850a0a006407f98504aa9aadd9.htm
The tank colored one (without the graphics) would be my favorite of the RRs you've posted. The white would be second. That's not taking any specs into consideration. Only the color.
I think the tank colored may still be my favorite too.

Although I saw one similarly equipped in the grey anvil color tonight. With the graphics stripped off, could be mighty sweet.

Here's a pic I took tonight of the anvil one (I would have them remove the stupid decals, because I'm not 8):

http://i.imgur.com/wXZd9rQ.jpg

Went back to the original local dealer. Looked at that one, the white one, and tank colored.

To the point you make above, the LEDs, light bar, and snorkel are a little silly. So I think I'm avoiding those. These ones I'm looking at aren't that absurd.

kutta, when do you pick it up?

And maybe a stupid question, but why is it that you can't just buy a car and walk out with it, like everything else you buy? You always have to go back days later to get it. Why is that?

May pop back into the dealer today and take the plunge on the tank.

And maybe a stupid question, but why is it that you can't just buy a car and walk out with it, like everything else you buy? You always have to go back days later to get it. Why is that?

Go with the black Sahara and get it customized.

I've always done just that. Go to a dealer if they had a vehicle that matched what I wanted we would make a deal and I would drive it home.

Unless you are doing a special order or getting one transferred from another dealer. It should be straight forward.

Why are you not able to drive home same day ?

I've always done just that. Go to a dealer if they had a vehicle that matched what I wanted we would make a deal and I would drive it home.

Unless you are doing a special order or getting one transferred from another dealer. It should be straight forward.

Why are you not able to drive home same day ?
Same thing. They would prep the vehicle while I finished up all the paperwork and take it home same day.

I actually did it the old fashioned way. Drove it home last night. Went out with one of my buds last night and drove it. Can't wait until the weather gets a tad cooler so I can take the doors and top off.Posting from my phone so it's hard to get pics up. I'll do it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread