What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (9 Viewers)

Okay, but what if you do need him this year?

Sorry, but without even knowing what you traded Charles for, the fact that you won the title means that I'd have a hard time regretting the trade. Regardless, the theory doesn't really hold water, because I'm sure you are talking about either trading him away or trading for him at a reduced value. I have no problems trading for Crabtree at a reduced value, my dispute is with people saying his long term value is the same as it was before.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Losing his production this year impacts his value in an insignificant way to me, adjusting of course for team situation.And the pieces I traded Charles for, in my example, didn't end up contributing to the title - so I absolutely regret moving him.

And the theory absolutely holds water - because the whole point is that his price tag is reduced, and you should trade for him because it is being wrongly reduced. Allowing for a situation in which my team is going for broke and I'm going to have to rebuild in a year or two in a major way, but I think I can win a title (God I hope I manage not to be in that situation), then I want to trade for Crabtree.

His not producing this year has no impact on his value to me. It's no different than trading for a future rookie first round pick, IMO. He's just another depth investment, except I already know he can put up WR1 numbers, I believe the market still far undervalues injured players and has yet to adjust to medical advances, and he'll be fine.

And if he's fine, then I get 2014-end of career, which in the long run, is really the same as 2013-end of career production in my mind. Any one year is not a major portion of a player's value to me. My valuation of a guy like Rodgers, for instance, has been exactly the same for about 3 years now. It would take the same amount today to get him from me as it would have taken two or three years ago. Isn't that the definition of one year being insignificant? It's passage has no effect...seems pretty insignificant to me.
How can you say it's insignificant for you, but then say "adjusting of course for team situation"? So basically, it may or may not be insignificant.No, the theory doesn't hold water. You are saying he has the same value as before, which is nonsense. People are saying his value has been reduced more than in should be, but you are the only one who seems to think it shouldn't be reduced at all.

Of course not, but what does that have to do with Crabtree's value now vs. pre-injury? Simply put, a player projected to play for N seasons is worth more than the same player projected to play for N-1 seasons. For most reasonable fantasy projections, I'd argue the difference isn't insignificant.
I would argue that this is patently false. If I know right now that I can have QB1 for 10 years or for 9 years, there's really no difference to me. I look at years remaining in three ways:1. Close enough to the end of a career that I need to plan to replace him - e.g. Peyton Manning

2. Not going to be done soon, but not going to improve a ton either - e.g. Calvin Johnson

3. Very young, still bust risk and also still has upside to improve - e.g. Lamar Miller

Crabtree falls into #2 for me. His value doesn't really change for another 3 years or so, IMO. Trying to account for a player's total career value from the get-go is a losing proposition - breaking it into a couple simple categories makes valuation much less prone to errors in judgment on an individual player.
You could argue that, but you'd be wrong. It's simple math.
No. It is FUNCTIONALLY not an issue. Functionally, a price of $2.1 million is the same as a price of $2.15 million - you're getting too caught up in specific details, and it's causing you to miss the major, overarching thoughts on these things.It's not wrong - it's a more useful tool than worrying about everything to the letter rather than the spirit. You're looking at it the wrong way. Here's how I understand your argument (and please correct me if I'm "wrong" again )

If I projected Arian Foster to finish with 225 points this year, and he finished with 220, I'd say I was right. From your argument, I would assume you think my projection was wrong. It's about the nature of how you loo at things - guessing ANY player's production within that few points is absolutely a win. It means you were right on most factors in your decision process, even though, to the actual number, you were "wrong".

So sure, if you want to be absolutely, 100%, letter-of-the-law in your valuation, then he's lost value. But if you want to be in the spirit, and have a useful guideline of valuation for your decision-making process, it's easy to correctly argue that his value hasn't actually changed.

And I say adjusting for team situation because of the one situation I mentioned - which I try very hard never to be in. I run my teams with a balance, so that I'm never stuck with a bunch of vets and needing to make one last run before a rebuild. That's the only situation where I have dropped Crabtree's value, and none of my teams are in it. So, FUNCTIONALLY, his value has not changed at all for me.

Bottomline, to me, is this:

Crabtrees production value today has gone down by virtue of him not having any production in 2013 (plus the additional risk involved when he does return). With it, his trade value must also decrease.

He has switched asset classes from one that is currently productive (what he was) to a somewhat speculative future asset (what he will be). His trade value today is X. His value next year will increase to Y, so he is an appreciating asset (which is normally a desirable one for me). The expected appreciation is more important for me to determine than whether value X is over or under compensating for the injury (or whether it should compensate for the injury at all based on some posts).

In trading for Crabreee, its about (i) how much appreciation in Crabtree I can expect to achieve over time given the circumstances (including risk), (ii) whether I can afford the pain of the loss of production and (iii) whether I can get the same or better appreciation from another asset (such as a future 1st rounder or Deandre Hopkins) or an undervalued vet.
I think that this approach is exactly right, but would like to submit that a discussion of whether "X is over or under compensating for the injury" is fundamentally a discussion of the expected appreciation. If X is overcompensating for the injury, then the expected appreciation Y is naturally going to be high as the market corrects for that overcompensation. If X is undercompensating for the injury, then the expected appreciation Y is naturally going to be low as there'll be little need for the market to correct expectations going forward.That's my position. I recognize that Crabtree's post-injury value is X. I believe that that value is an overcompensation for his injury, and that his true worth is some value higher than X, so I rank him at that value, or "Z" (to introduce another wholly unnecessary variable). Obviously, I would much rather acquire Crabtree at cost X, but cost Z, to me, represents the break-even point where I expect Crabtree to return neither a profit or a loss. As a result, I would be willing in extreme cases to pay up to cost Z for Michael Crabtree, provided there were not other ways for me to use Z amount of resources which I would expect to return a greater profit.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

The differences in your two examples are a little over 2%- you could certainly argue that those are insignificant. I don't think anyone would say that the points Crabtree was projected to put up next year would only represent 2% of the remainder of his career. Of course, this also isn't factoring in the time value of those points (getting a likely zero this year is functionally not an issue?), nor the very real risks that his injury presents.

Doesn't matter if it's letter-of-the-law, the spirit, or anything else- Crabtree's value is certainly lower today than it was prior to the injury. We can discuss how much value has been lost, or the reasons for the loss, but it's kind of absurd to say he hasn't lost value.

Put it this way- in a dynasty start up draft, would you take him in the same spot that you would have pre-injury?

Warrior said:
4 mid-round receivers who seem to be underrated (based on the FBG staff rankings:33 Kenny Britt. Before his injury, most people seemed to think he had finally arrived. And with good reason - over the previous 5 games, he'd averaged over 100 yards and 1 TD per game, with 12+ fantasy points in every game (non-ppr). One year out with an ACL injury, and one mediocre season while still recovering, and that Dez Bryant level upside has faded from people's minds. His knucklehead risk and mediocre knee-healing abilities should not drop him this far. 34 Danny Amendola. You can't just assume that he'll come right in and pick up where Welker left off. But >50% chance that he'll at least come close. And Wes Welker has been a consistent 110+ catch guy (1 ACL recovery year excepted), finishing around WR12 (non-ppr) pretty much every season, just like Marques Colston (FBG WR20). Amendola has some injury risk, but so does Colston. 41 Cecil Shorts. He made a ton of big plays last year, at a Victor Cruz level where any individual play might seem fluky, but the fact that he keeps doing it shows that he's a playmaker. Top 10 fantasy receiver over the second half of the season. Some concussion risk, but not enough to put him this low. 42 Michael Floyd. Profiles a lot like DeAndre Hopkins - first round talent, stuck as his team's #2 across from an elite WR, and without an elite passing offense. His situation is slightly worse than Hopkins's in a few ways (Fitz a bit younger than Andre, Schaub a bit better than Palmer), but he also had a better reputation than Hopkins coming into the league. His rookie year wasn't special, but he won a bigger role over the course of the season and was a major part of Arizona's (then woeful, Lindley-led) passing attack by the end of the year and finished with almost as many yards as Kendall Wright. Led the post-bye Cardinals in every receiving category, thanks to a big week 17. Seemed good enough to stay in place in the rankings, especially with the upgrades in Arizona this offseason.
I see the argument for the latter 3...although they are all ranked about where I have them, but Britt? No. With two WR's drafted in the top 40 the last two years it's clear the Titans want to move on from him at season's end. Will a good team take a chance on him in the offseason? Who knows, maybe. He could also have burned so many bridges that he must resort to the dredges of the NFL. No denying the phsyical ability, but in the end he's entering season 5 in the NFL and all he's done is flash potential to this point. if he were legit he likely would have done more than that. Personally, I think 33 is way too high. I understand why he's ranked there, but I wouldn't do it.
Finally, why do you care if he's a moron / criminal / whatever off the field? The NFL certainly doesn't. At all. You can kill someone, deal drugs, do federal time, beat your wife, have an unlicensed gun go off in a nightclub, rape a few women, etc and still find a job in the league if you can play. The list of guys with extensive criminal histories currently in the league is too long to even begin to list. The next player to be black-balled strictly for off field issues will be the first. Ever. The NFL is a business, good players help teams win, and that makes the money for everyone. Period, end of story.
Very short-sighted. Morons/criminals are MUCH MUCH more likely to pi$$ off teammates/coaches (see Titus Young), get arrested and suspended (see Vick, Plaxico, about 300 others) or just miss time in general.If you ignore this part of the equation, you're not doing it right. You have to lower a player's value a bit based on these factors.With that said, I don't think Britt is really that bad of an egg.
The massive discount applied for character concerns by many / most owners is what is short-sighted. Games actually missed while suspended or in prison is going to represent a tiny fraction of any players career, even the most outrageous. I've bought Brandon Marshall, TO, Moss, Vick, Jamal Lewis, Lynch, Roethlisberger, etc for pennies over the years and across different leagues immediately following various incidents. It's no different than buying on an injury -- you go in knowing the guy might / will miss a few games and plan accordingly.In Britt's case, he has WR1 ability which he's proven on the field over a two year span. A bunch of knowledgeable posters here are calling him over-valued at his current borderline WR3/WR4 ranking. He's been fairly outrageous off the field, yet how many games has he actually missed due to suspension? How many has Brandon Marshall missed while suspended vs how many has he played in? What percentage of a career do those games represent, and how much discounting is appropriate? And these are guys who have been in the headlines for the wrong reasons probably a dozen times each...
As someone who has historically put a lot of weight on "knucklehead factor", I have no problem admitting that I was wrong and those who disagreed with me were right. Roger Goodell came in and talked a huge game, and I genuinely believed that the early sanctions he was handing down were the tip of the iceberg. I believed that players who were unwilling or unable to reform would wind up missing significant time. I now realize that Goodell was just grandstanding, that he eventually overreached, and that the league quickly returned to business as usual. Three years ago, I was well below the consensus on guys like Brandon Marshall because I thought the consensus was inadequately pricing his character risk. Now, I recognize that the consensus had a far better read on the situation than did I, and have endeavored to reduce my character risk discount across the board. To the point where I actually traded for Kenny Britt last season and have turned down several fair-market offers for him since (because I think the market is overpricing his injury discount, and therefore his market value is still too low).

I think character risk at RB is well worth it, there is just so much depth at other positions I can't justify it. I'll roster potential bad apples, but I'm not going to litter my roster with them. Josh Gordon is my 4th WR, I'll consider trading one of my top 3 (if they don't fall off the cliff beforehand) once I am comfortable with him not being an idiot. That may not be any time soon though.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

The differences in your two examples are a little over 2%- you could certainly argue that those are insignificant. I don't think anyone would say that the points Crabtree was projected to put up next year would only represent 2% of the remainder of his career. Of course, this also isn't factoring in the time value of those points (getting a likely zero this year is functionally not an issue?), nor the very real risks that his injury presents.

Doesn't matter if it's letter-of-the-law, the spirit, or anything else- Crabtree's value is certainly lower today than it was prior to the injury. We can discuss how much value has been lost, or the reasons for the loss, but it's kind of absurd to say he hasn't lost value.

Put it this way- in a dynasty start up draft, would you take him in the same spot that you would have pre-injury?
Well, yes and no. I don't know what his ADP was, but let's say that pre-injury I would have to take him at 4.06.

Post injury, if I knew with 100% certainty that the guy at 4.07 would take him if I didn't, I would still take him at 4.06.

However, given that I don't HAVE to (because everyone values him lower) I would in reality take him ahead of his new ADP, but lower than that pre-injury ADP - because the market has lowered its perception of his value, even though my valuation of him remains unchanged. Hopefully that makes sense--if I had to, I would, but I don't have to, so I wouldn't.

And, again, no, I don't think a 0 this year is functionally an issue. I have replacement players. Hell, I can take a waiver guy - I'm not actually getting a 0, just some amount less. It is functionally no different over the course of his career.

Let's say he's got 7 more years.

1 year of 0, and 6 years with an average of 150 each. That's 900 points if my math is correct.

I get that 1 year of a replacement guy with only 100 points. So injured Crabtree means my "WR3" slot (or WR2, whatever) gets 1000 points over the next 7 years.

Uninjured Crabtree would have netted me 7 years of 150 points, or 1050 points total for that starting spot in my roster.

That's what, roughly a 5% difference spread out over the course of 7 years? I would call that insignificant.

Let's say he's got 7 more years. 1 year of 0, and 6 years with an average of 150 each. That's 900 points if my math is correct.I get that 1 year of a replacement guy with only 100 points. So injured Crabtree means my "WR3" slot (or WR2, whatever) gets 1000 points over the next 7 years. Uninjured Crabtree would have netted me 7 years of 150 points, or 1050 points total for that starting spot in my roster. That's what, roughly a 5% difference spread out over the course of 7 years? I would call that insignificant.
You're calculation using percentage of Crab's value lost is suffering from the same mistake that Warrior is making above. By your calculation, if Crabtree were out for his entire career, he would have only suffered a roughly 33% loss in value spread out over 7 years (when in reality, you lost 100% of his value).

A lost year in a player's prime is a big deal. That's probably 10-20% of his remaining career value down the toilet, and that's without considering the possibility of him never fully bouncing back. Even with advances in technology, a popped Achilles is a different beast from a broken leg or even a torn ACL. It's probably one of the worst injuries you can suffer.

I also think you have to consider whether Crabtree's 2012 was an accurate reflection of his expected performance moving forward. Everyone is treating him like this obvious lock stud, which is funny because just 12 months ago he was left for dead after another mediocre season and a horrendous showing in the playoffs (5 catches for 28 yards in 2 games).

He seemed to take a step forward last year and having Kaep/Harbaugh around is a big upgrade for him, but everyone seems to be assuming that when he comes back he will be the 2012 Crabtree and not the 2009-2011 Crabtree. That might not be wise. He's a good player, but he has always been more of a possession/YAC type than a dominant home run threat. Sap him of a little speed/quickness and he could regress back to being a mediocre FF starter.

I tentatively have him at WR20 in my newest rankings. I think that's pretty fair given his track record and latest injury.

Let's say he's got 7 more years. 1 year of 0, and 6 years with an average of 150 each. That's 900 points if my math is correct.I get that 1 year of a replacement guy with only 100 points. So injured Crabtree means my "WR3" slot (or WR2, whatever) gets 1000 points over the next 7 years. Uninjured Crabtree would have netted me 7 years of 150 points, or 1050 points total for that starting spot in my roster. That's what, roughly a 5% difference spread out over the course of 7 years? I would call that insignificant.
You're calculation using percentage of Crab's value lost is suffering from the same mistake that Warrior is making above. By your calculation, if Crabtree were out for his entire career, he would have only suffered a roughly 33% loss in value spread out over 7 years (when in reality, you lost 100% of his value).
My team didn't lose the value though. If you're worried about playing FF like the stock market, then yeah it matters. But if you're worried about points in your starting lineup...

I suppose a better way to look at it would be Crabtree's value as 50 over 6 years vs 50 over 7 years. Looking at his incremental value over that replacement player (150 per year vs the 100 I get from a replacement).

In which case you've lost 50/350 points, or roughly what, 14% over 7 years? 2% per year...again, not significant enough for me to change my valuation of him. It doesn't materially affect my ability to win each year for 7 years, such that I would value him less.

Where are we on Ingram now that Ivory is gone? I've got an offer on the table involving sending Lacy for Ingram/future 1st + and when I saw it in my inbox I realized that not only do I not have a firm grasp of where I value Lacy, but I haven't thought about Ingram in a long time either.

This isn't an AC question so much as it's asking for commentary on how you guys value a risky mid-1st prospect like Lacy who hasnt seen the field yet vs. a currently disappointing, pedigreed player whose kinda similar, but hasn't really impressed on the field yet. It's a tough question for me.

What happens to Blackmon if he has another drug issue? 16 games?
Substance abuse guys might deserve a separate category, as the current system has the much stiffer mandatory penalties. Rape a few women or serially beat your wife? Cool. Maybe sit four games at most after you're caught a few times. Smoke weed a few times (which may actually even be totally legal for guys on certain teams)? Have a nice season guy. It's absurd.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The differences in your two examples are a little over 2%- you could certainly argue that those are insignificant. I don't think anyone would say that the points Crabtree was projected to put up next year would only represent 2% of the remainder of his career. Of course, this also isn't factoring in the time value of those points (getting a likely zero this year is functionally not an issue?), nor the very real risks that his injury presents. Doesn't matter if it's letter-of-the-law, the spirit, or anything else- Crabtree's value is certainly lower today than it was prior to the injury. We can discuss how much value has been lost, or the reasons for the loss, but it's kind of absurd to say he hasn't lost value. Put it this way- in a dynasty start up draft, would you take him in the same spot that you would have pre-injury?
Well, yes and no. I don't know what his ADP was, but let's say that pre-injury I would have to take him at 4.06. Post injury, if I knew with 100% certainty that the guy at 4.07 would take him if I didn't, I would still take him at 4.06. However, given that I don't HAVE to (because everyone values him lower) I would in reality take him ahead of his new ADP, but lower than that pre-injury ADP - because the market has lowered its perception of his value, even though my valuation of him remains unchanged. Hopefully that makes sense--if I had to, I would, but I don't have to, so I wouldn't. And, again, no, I don't think a 0 this year is functionally an issue. I have replacement players. Hell, I can take a waiver guy - I'm not actually getting a 0, just some amount less. It is functionally no different over the course of his career. Let's say he's got 7 more years. 1 year of 0, and 6 years with an average of 150 each. That's 900 points if my math is correct.I get that 1 year of a replacement guy with only 100 points. So injured Crabtree means my "WR3" slot (or WR2, whatever) gets 1000 points over the next 7 years. Uninjured Crabtree would have netted me 7 years of 150 points, or 1050 points total for that starting spot in my roster. That's what, roughly a 5% difference spread out over the course of 7 years? I would call that insignificant.
I think it's a stretch to think you'll just be able to pluck a guy from the WW who will put up 50 fewer points than a 4th round pick in most leagues, but even if you make that assumption, it isn't a 5% difference spread out over 7 years, it's a 33% difference this year. Who wouldn't rather have 100% for 7 years than 67% this year and then 100% (absolute best case scenario) for the next 6?

Last edited by a moderator:
A lost year in a player's prime is a big deal. That's probably 10-20% of his remaining career value down the toilet, and that's without considering the possibility of him never fully bouncing back. Even with advances in technology, a popped Achilles is a different beast from a broken leg or even a torn ACL. It's probably one of the worst injuries you can suffer.

I also think you have to consider whether Crabtree's 2012 was an accurate reflection of his expected performance moving forward. Everyone is treating him like this obvious lock stud, which is funny because just 12 months ago he was left for dead after another mediocre season and a horrendous showing in the playoffs (5 catches for 28 yards in 2 games).

He seemed to take a step forward last year and having Kaep/Harbaugh around is a big upgrade for him, but everyone seems to be assuming that when he comes back he will be the 2012 Crabtree and not the 2009-2011 Crabtree. That might not be wise. He's a good player, but he has always been more of a possession/YAC type than a dominant home run threat. Sap him of a little speed/quickness and he could regress back to being a mediocre FF starter.

I tentatively have him at WR20 in my newest rankings. I think that's pretty fair given his track record and latest injury.
:goodposting:

People keep forgetting the value loss if/when he doesn't return to full strength. If Crabtree loses a step, could he be Greg Little or worse...Brian Robiskie?

Edit: I think a reasonable analogy is this: imagine that news broke that a player's birth certificate surfaced and a mistake had been made, and the player was actually born exactly one year before everyone originally thought. Imagine nothing else about that player changes. How much does this news cause you to alter your rankings for the player? For a guy like Brady, or Andre Johnson, or Adrian Peterson, this news would cause a definite shift in my rankings. For a guy like A.J. Green, Robert Griffin, or Trent Richardson, this news would cause me to shrug and yawn. In theory, this news means both guys are "losing" a year of their career from what we thought they had left, but if a guy is young enough, that additional year is so distant and uncertain in the first place that it doesn't make any difference to me. That's what I'm getting at when I say the fact that Crabtree will be 27 instead of 26 at the beginning of his next season doesn't really matter to me. I'm happy to downgrade him because of the time-value of the production loss, I'm happy to downgrade him because of the additional uncertainties that his injury raises, but he's so young still that I'm not really worried about him "losing" one year of his remaining career.
He's my problem with the analogy- with Crabtree, you are losing his 26th year production (which is in his prime), and have to wait a year until you get his 27th year production. With the birth certificate hypothetical, you're still getting a year of production in his prime right now. You're essentially only losing his final year of production, which isn't happening for 8-10 years and won't be nearly as valuable. I think most people are downgrading him because of the time-value and the injury, not because of age.

If Crabtree comes back less explosive, I don't think the comparison is Little, who has YAC ability but shoddy hands. I think it's someone with limited separation/YAC potential but very solid hands. Can't come up with a comparison off the top of my head. But he could still be a target monster with how much Kaep loves throwing to him.

This is correct. The term "value" implies performance above replacement, or some other arbitrary baseline. That's the difference between points and value. So if you lose a player for a year, you lose 100% of his "value" for that season.

Edit: I think a reasonable analogy is this: imagine that news broke that a player's birth certificate surfaced and a mistake had been made, and the player was actually born exactly one year before everyone originally thought. Imagine nothing else about that player changes. How much does this news cause you to alter your rankings for the player? For a guy like Brady, or Andre Johnson, or Adrian Peterson, this news would cause a definite shift in my rankings. For a guy like A.J. Green, Robert Griffin, or Trent Richardson, this news would cause me to shrug and yawn. In theory, this news means both guys are "losing" a year of their career from what we thought they had left, but if a guy is young enough, that additional year is so distant and uncertain in the first place that it doesn't make any difference to me. That's what I'm getting at when I say the fact that Crabtree will be 27 instead of 26 at the beginning of his next season doesn't really matter to me. I'm happy to downgrade him because of the time-value of the production loss, I'm happy to downgrade him because of the additional uncertainties that his injury raises, but he's so young still that I'm not really worried about him "losing" one year of his remaining career.
He's my problem with the analogy- with Crabtree, you are losing his 26th year production (which is in his prime), and have to wait a year until you get his 27th year production. With the birth certificate hypothetical, you're still getting a year of production in his prime right now. You're essentially only losing his final year of production, which isn't happening for 8-10 years and won't be nearly as valuable. I think most people are downgrading him because of the time-value and the injury, not because of age.
No, if a player "magically" turned from 26 to 27 overnight, then you have also lost his age 26 production. Or, more accurately, you haven't "lost" it, you were just valuing him as if it were still to come when in reality it was already past.

You're right about the immediate pain. With Crabtree, you will feel immediate pain this season, and there is some time-value to that pain, and that time-value needs to be accounted for. For Crabtree, you will get ages 27-33 still, they'll just come in 2014-2020. For the hypothetical WR, you'd still get ages 27-33, but they'd come in 2013-2019. Both provide you with the same returns, Crabtree's are just shifted back a season. In both instances, though, you were ranking the player as if you would reap the reward of his age 26 season, only to later discover that you would not.

Again, this discussion is wholly separate from the "will he be the same player again after his injury" discussion. There are two reasons to downgrade Crabtree: because of the timing of his production (i.e. the "lost year"), and because of the uncertainty of his production (i.e. the "will he return to form"). These are two separate issues, and I think it's best to address them separately.

If Crabtree comes back less explosive, I don't think the comparison is Little, who has YAC ability but shoddy hands. I think it's someone with limited separation/YAC potential but very solid hands. Can't come up with a comparison off the top of my head. But he could still be a target monster with how much Kaep loves throwing to him.
Anquan Boldin?

No, if a player "magically" turned from 26 to 27 overnight, then you have also lost his age 26 production. Or, more accurately, you haven't "lost" it, you were just valuing him as if it were still to come when in reality it was already past.

You're right about the immediate pain. With Crabtree, you will feel immediate pain this season, and there is some time-value to that pain, and that time-value needs to be accounted for. For Crabtree, you will get ages 27-33 still, they'll just come in 2014-2020. For the hypothetical WR, you'd still get ages 27-33, but they'd come in 2013-2019. Both provide you with the same returns, Crabtree's are just shifted back a season. In both instances, though, you were ranking the player as if you would reap the reward of his age 26 season, only to later discover that you would not.

Again, this discussion is wholly separate from the "will he be the same player again after his injury" discussion. There are two reasons to downgrade Crabtree: because of the timing of his production (i.e. the "lost year"), and because of the uncertainty of his production (i.e. the "will he return to form"). These are two separate issues, and I think it's best to address them separately.
You are assuming that the Crabtree in the injury scenario can play through age 34 now instead of just 33. I thought you already established in another thread that workload and age do not work that way and that age 34 for the 1st Crabtree is the same as age 34 for the 2nd Crabtree. In that case, the 1st Crabtree should also be able to play at age 34 and would have one additional year of production that the 2nd Crabtree did not receive, magic or no magic, and we are talking about more than the time value of production.

My team didn't lose the value though. If you're worried about playing FF like the stock market, then yeah it matters. But if you're worried about points in your starting lineup...

I suppose a better way to look at it would be Crabtree's value as 50 over 6 years vs 50 over 7 years. Looking at his incremental value over that replacement player (150 per year vs the 100 I get from a replacement).

In which case you've lost 50/350 points, or roughly what, 14% over 7 years? 2% per year...again, not significant enough for me to change my valuation of him. It doesn't materially affect my ability to win each year for 7 years, such that I would value him less.
Your team did lose value, and the stock market concept had nothing to do with it. It lost all of the value that Crabtree was providing (in your example, the 50 extra points which is the value that Crabtree was providing in production).

Your “better way” of looking at it is simply the same formula that some others have indicated, and that is the percentage of the time lost divided by the total career – that is 1 year divided by 7 years or 14%. You can substitute any number for the replacement value and you’ll still come up with a 14% loss. You lost essentially 1 year out of 7 (1/7=14%).

Quantifying that loss on a per year basis (2% per year), while sounding less impactful, does not change that there was a 14% overall loss. For example, you can say that the loss is really just .005% per day which makes it sound even smaller, but that doesn’t change the total loss of 14%.

In all of this, I am not saying that is the best way to quantify the loss, or really getting into the crux of your original argument, but only that your use of percentages was not accurate and did not support your original argument (actually goes against it).

I think you were really saying that you value Crabtree at some value. After the injury, sure you miss the time he is out, but his true dynasty value from a practical sense (which is not just the aggregate of his production value for his entire career) is still very very close to what it was. This is not quantifiable by production numbers and percentages from what I can tell (although SSOG and others probably can figure some formula out).

Your team did lose value, and the stock market concept had nothing to do with it. It lost all of the value that Crabtree was providing (in your example, the 50 extra points which is the value that Crabtree was providing in production).

Your “better way” of looking at it is simply the same formula that some others have indicated, and that is the percentage of the time lost divided by the total career – that is 1 year divided by 7 years or 14%. You can substitute any number for the replacement value and you’ll still come up with a 14% loss. You lost essentially 1 year out of 7 (1/7=14%).

Quantifying that loss on a per year basis (2% per year), while sounding less impactful, does not change that there was a 14% overall loss. For example, you can say that the loss is really just .005% per day which makes it sound even smaller, but that doesn’t change the total loss of 14%.

In all of this, I am not saying that is the best way to quantify the loss, or really getting into the crux of your original argument, but only that your use of percentages was not accurate and did not support your original argument (actually goes against it).

I think you were really saying that you value Crabtree at some value. After the injury, sure you miss the time he is out, but his true dynasty value from a practical sense (which is not just the aggregate of his production value for his entire career) is still very very close to what it was. This is not quantifiable by production numbers and percentages from what I can tell (although SSOG and others probably can figure some formula out).
Yes. And my use of that 14% (or 2% per year) of lost points was to show that I don't lose a lot of point production, which is why I feel like his value should be unchanged. I'm looking at value as his worth, as what I'd pay for him. I derive that (mostly) from expected production over a replacement. Because I don't expect to lose a ton of production over a replacement, his value to me is unchanged.

All of this is separate from the fact that he's a risk not to return to full production (I also happen to believe this is practically nil, and the market hasn't yet adjusted for improved medical technology and recoveries), which is a separate factor in his value (risk profile).

It's like a stock: A) expected dividends and B) stock appreciation

Just because a stock I own has decided not to declare dividends this year does not mean I dramatically decrease its value to me.

Although it isn't a perfect analogy (because dividends work against appreciation in a vacuum, and stocks conceivably exist forever) it is close enough that, as a Finance major, it helps me value players with less of a bias from fandom.

Yes. And my use of that 14% (or 2% per year) of lost points was to show that I don't lose a lot of point production, which is why I feel like his value should be unchanged. I'm looking at value as his worth, as what I'd pay for him. I derive that (mostly) from expected production over a replacement. Because I don't expect to lose a ton of production over a replacement, his value to me is unchanged.

All of this is separate from the fact that he's a risk not to return to full production (I also happen to believe this is practically nil, and the market hasn't yet adjusted for improved medical technology and recoveries), which is a separate factor in his value (risk profile).

It's like a stock: A) expected dividends and B) stock appreciation

Just because a stock I own has decided not to declare dividends this year does not mean I dramatically decrease its value to me.

Although it isn't a perfect analogy (because dividends work against appreciation in a vacuum, and stocks conceivably exist forever) it is close enough that, as a Finance major, it helps me value players with less of a bias from fandom.
Ok, I think I get it. You look at the 14% loss and view it as 2% per year and insignificant. Humpback looks at that same 14% and sees it as a decently large percentage. Difference in perception.

A note: The message board software has lost its fool mind and is not letting me quote Ernol (it keeps telling me that I've posted more images than I'm allowed, despite the fact that I'm not posting any images). This post is in response to this post by Ernol.

We're weaving together several disparate strands of conversation here. In the post you quoted, I was specifically talking about an analogy I had proposed: imagine a WR's birth certificate came out and it turns out he was a year older than we thought. I'm not comparing Crabtree to a hypothetical uninjured version of himself, I'm comparing Crabtree to another hypothetical WR. In this scenario, I'm not accounting for the fact that Crabtree is now going to play one fewer year than we initially thought (which he almost certainly will), but only because the exact same is true of the hypothetical WR I proposed- both players will be productive for one fewer year than we originally thought. Possibly more for Crabtree, but that's because of the "he might not return from injury" thing which I said I'd rather deal with as a separate consideration.

I have a feeling I'm being far too abstruse here, and am shooting myself in the foot, so let me try to provide a more concrete example to anchor this more to reality. I want you to think about your rankings. Think about where you have Demaryius Thomas ranked. Now, imagine that ESPN just broke a story that there was a mistake on Thomas's birth certificate, and he is actually exactly one year older than originally believed. How does this impact your ranking of Thomas? Do you move him down? How much do you move him down? Personally, my answer is that, for me, this would have a very negligible impact on how I rank Demaryius Thomas. My ranking of Thomas is not based on an in-depth projection of exactly how many fantasy points he's going to score every season for the rest of his career. My ranking of Thomas is based on an evaluation of his talent and a broad-strokes guesstimate of how much career he has left in him. That guesstimate is broad-strokes enough that one year either way doesn't really change which bucket I'm putting him in. As a general heuristic, to conserve processing power, I don't really start worrying about a WR's age until he approaches 29 or 30. I suspect that many people share this heuristic- I suspect that many people, if they're being honest with themselves, would admit that this thought experiment would have little to no impact on their ranking of Demaryius Thomas. Crabtree is essentially the same age as Thomas (his birthday is 5 months earlier). If you think Thomas is an unfair comparison because you think Thomas is so much more talented, then substitute Eric Decker (who was born 6 months later). How much would Eric Decker move in your rankings if March was his 27th birthday instead of his 26th birthday?

As I see it, there are three reasons to downgrade Michael Crabtree. The first is risk/uncertainty (Crabtree might not recover, he might not be the same after recovering, the team might move on without him, his role might change, etc). The second is the delay before he will be productive again, and the time-value of that delay. The third is because he will now have one fewer year left in his career, and his absolute total production value will drop commensurately (i.e. even if he makes a full recovery and his role doesn't change, he has one fewer year worth of production left in him). I believe that these are the only three reasons to downgrade Crabtree after his injury, but am open to the idea that I'm missing one. Can anyone think of another reason to value Crabtree lower after his injury than they did before?

Anyway, the point of this thought experiment is to demonstrate why one of those three reasons (the "one fewer year of production remaining" reason) does not play much, if any, role in my ranking of Crabtree. That's not how I build my rankings. If I were told to expect one fewer year out of anyone of a similar age and talent level, it would have minimal (if any) impact on my rankings, so when I'm now expecting it out of Crabtree, it is similarly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. My reasons for downgrading instead focus on the other two reasons. In other words, I'm downgrading based on the time-value of the lost production and the chances Crabtree doesn't recover. Given that I tend to weight the future more than most dynasty owners and I tend to be more optimistic about the progress of modern medicine, it's small wonder that my downgrade of Crabtree is far smaller than most would prescribe.

A note: The message board software has lost its fool mind and is not letting me quote Ernol (it keeps telling me that I've posted more images than I'm allowed, despite the fact that I'm not posting any images). This post is in response to this post by Ernol.

We're weaving together several disparate strands of conversation here. In the post you quoted, I was specifically talking about an analogy I had proposed: imagine a WR's birth certificate came out and it turns out he was a year older than we thought. I'm not comparing Crabtree to a hypothetical uninjured version of himself, I'm comparing Crabtree to another hypothetical WR. In this scenario, I'm not accounting for the fact that Crabtree is now going to play one fewer year than we initially thought (which he almost certainly will), but only because the exact same is true of the hypothetical WR I proposed- both players will be productive for one fewer year than we originally thought. Possibly more for Crabtree, but that's because of the "he might not return from injury" thing which I said I'd rather deal with as a separate consideration.

I have a feeling I'm being far too abstruse here, and am shooting myself in the foot, so let me try to provide a more concrete example to anchor this more to reality. I want you to think about your rankings. Think about where you have Demaryius Thomas ranked. Now, imagine that ESPN just broke a story that there was a mistake on Thomas's birth certificate, and he is actually exactly one year older than originally believed. How does this impact your ranking of Thomas? Do you move him down? How much do you move him down? Personally, my answer is that, for me, this would have a very negligible impact on how I rank Demaryius Thomas. My ranking of Thomas is not based on an in-depth projection of exactly how many fantasy points he's going to score every season for the rest of his career. My ranking of Thomas is based on an evaluation of his talent and a broad-strokes guesstimate of how much career he has left in him. That guesstimate is broad-strokes enough that one year either way doesn't really change which bucket I'm putting him in. As a general heuristic, to conserve processing power, I don't really start worrying about a WR's age until he approaches 29 or 30. I suspect that many people share this heuristic- I suspect that many people, if they're being honest with themselves, would admit that this thought experiment would have little to no impact on their ranking of Demaryius Thomas. Crabtree is essentially the same age as Thomas (his birthday is 5 months earlier). If you think Thomas is an unfair comparison because you think Thomas is so much more talented, then substitute Eric Decker (who was born 6 months later). How much would Eric Decker move in your rankings if March was his 27th birthday instead of his 26th birthday?

As I see it, there are three reasons to downgrade Michael Crabtree. The first is risk/uncertainty (Crabtree might not recover, he might not be the same after recovering, the team might move on without him, his role might change, etc). The second is the delay before he will be productive again, and the time-value of that delay. The third is because he will now have one fewer year left in his career, and his absolute total production value will drop commensurately (i.e. even if he makes a full recovery and his role doesn't change, he has one fewer year worth of production left in him). I believe that these are the only three reasons to downgrade Crabtree after his injury, but am open to the idea that I'm missing one. Can anyone think of another reason to value Crabtree lower after his injury than they did before?

Anyway, the point of this thought experiment is to demonstrate why one of those three reasons (the "one fewer year of production remaining" reason) does not play much, if any, role in my ranking of Crabtree. That's not how I build my rankings. If I were told to expect one fewer year out of anyone of a similar age and talent level, it would have minimal (if any) impact on my rankings, so when I'm now expecting it out of Crabtree, it is similarly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. My reasons for downgrading instead focus on the other two reasons. In other words, I'm downgrading based on the time-value of the lost production and the chances Crabtree doesn't recover. Given that I tend to weight the future more than most dynasty owners and I tend to be more optimistic about the progress of modern medicine, it's small wonder that my downgrade of Crabtree is far smaller than most would prescribe.
I was getting that same message anytime there is some image posted somewhere in the quote such as a smiley face.

Ok, I get this as well. I too do not value players in accordance with some formula that uses my expected yearly projection. For that reason, losing a year is not critical for me either when talking about Demaryius Thomas.

Someone certainly could, but I don't think they should. Formulas are nice, they are fun, but they give an illusion of certainty far beyond what actually exists. It's like performing calculations in Chemistry and forgetting the rules of significant figures, giving you a result that far outstrips your measurement error and giving someone who wasn't privy to your process a false belief about the specificity of your calculation.

I believe it's possible to create a formula which projects total fantasy points remaining in a player's career- or even better, a formula that quantifies "value" (some sort of VBD-like concept) and estimates the value points remaining in a player's career. For such a formula, the fact that Crabtree is going to be 27 in his next season instead of 26 will have a very significant difference- it might even reduce his total value by as much as 20%, depending on what sort of weights it gives to his prime and expectations of career length. And I would argue that such a dramatic result far exceeds the measurement and uncertainty error bars inherent to projecting.

Formulas, historical modeling, and statistical analysis are very, very useful tools, but I don't think they'll ever serve as a replacement for messy, bias-ridden, agenda-driven, flawed human judgment as a means of assessing dynasty value, any more than I think we'll one day be composing songs via algorithm.

humpback said:
squistion said:
humpback said:
Concept Coop said:
humpback said:
Stable from where it was, or stable from here?
Stable from where it was. Like Peterson, Charles, Thomas, RG3 - naive or foolish, maybe - but I'm expecting guys to bounce back faster than expected and very close to 100% of what they were pre-injury. Even Tommy John isn't what it was a decade ago.

For the record, I am not a Crabtree guy. Didn't have him on a single roster pre-injury. But after the injury, I really like his new pricetag.
Even if he comes back to 100%, his value has to be lower than it was because you know you are getting a zero for the majority of a season, most likely an entire one.

I bring it up because people have said this a lot lately- "his short term value drops but long term stays the same". That doesn't add up to me, since long term value incorporates short term value. Take a season away from anyone and their long-term value has to drop some.
Yes, but it depends on the time line dynasty strategy you have. I use a 2-3 year window with 50% of value the coming year, so from my perspective, this injury (even if he fully recovers) is still a big hit on his value. Someone like Adam/SSOG looks to a much longer time line, up to 10 years (from past comments he has made) so the loss of the coming season detracts little from Crabtree's perceived value.
I get that, but even if you look out 10 years, and weigh each year equally (which would be ridiculous IMO), taking 1 year away would mean he's only 90% as valuable. That's not insignificant.
I agree completely, but Mr. Harstad may not.
In a perfect world, if we all had crystal balls, a player would enter a season with a value of "X", would accumulate "Y" value during the season, and would leave the season with a value of "X-Y". In a perfect world, if we all had crystal balls, every player's value would be at its absolute highest before he ever took a single snap, and it would slowly and gently decline over his entire career until he reached the end.

In the real world, we have replaced our crystal balls with a glut of imperfect information and misleading clues. Instead of a player's value slowly declining as he uses it up (as in the perfect world), a player's value can decline for a number of reasons- he might use his value up and age, or he might give us new information that suggests we had him overvalued in the first place. Likewise, his value can actually increase if he gives us new information that suggests we had him undervalued.

As a result, whenever I rank a player, I rank him based on a risk profile. There are plenty of things that a player can do to decrease his value, from age to injury to underperformance. At a certain point of the career arc, though, age is by far the least significant of those things (when weighted against the others). A 26 year old WR is much more likely to lose value because I was wrong in my evaluations of his talent than he is because he aged a year and used up a certain percentage of the allotted value for his career. Given that, if a player is sufficiently young, his age plays very little role in how I value him. If Percy Harvin was a year older or a year younger, it would have basically no impact on how I value him today (even though, theoretically, the difference between N+1 and N-1 represents a potentially huge amount of value over Harvin's career).

So yes, from a high-level theoretical standpoint, it's impossible to say that a player's short term value decreases but his long-term value remains the same. From a dirty, messy, practical standpoint, though, it's a reasonable statement. If I value 27 year old WRs essentially identically to how I value 26 year old WRs, then the fact that Crabtree is going to lose his 26 season doesn't necessarily make a big impact on how I value him long-term.

This isn't to say that Crabtree's injury hasn't caused his value to fall. Obviously there is some time-value to production. I disagree with how large that time-value is, but I don't disagree that it exists. Obviously any injury presents new risks that didn't exist before, risks that the recovery doesn't go as planned, risks that his team's plans change. I think Michael Crabtree post-injury is less valuable than was Michael Crabtree pre-injury. I'm just saying the reason I think he's less valuable has little to do with the fact that he's going to enter his next productive season at age 27 instead of at age 26, as I originally anticipated.

Very short-sighted philosophy. Bench players don't go DOWN in value just because a year passes, they go up or down based on the probability of them becoming fantasy starter worthy. If player X is going to break out in his 3rd year, his REAL (not projected or guessed) value is still RISING through his first 3 seasons, not falling. Your theory fails to account for opportunity cost- the value of the roster spot locked up by a player you can't yet utilize. Even if you had the perfect crystal ball and knew exactly what player X would do every season for the next 10 years, his max value would still be just before whatever season he becomes a fantasy starter to stay...NOT 2 or 3 years ahead of that date.

Your explanation here implies that a player with 10 years of mediocre production ahead of him ....ten years of bye week level (sub level) production...would hold more real value than a perennial all-pro with only a year or two of fantasy WR1-2 production and another season of bye week production left. I know you don't believe this (nobody does), but your logic here leads to this. We'd all take 2 years of a fantasy WR1/2 over 10 years of meh on our bench.

Not to derail this discussion, but I have had this same issue several times - there may be a bug in the forum software. Carry on.

I agree on the hands, but I don't think Little has great separation, which is why I brought him up. Either way, my concern is Crabtree isn't an elite athlete. He doesn't run in the 4.3's, probably not even in the 4.4's. He isn't elite quick or elite strong. He isn't 6'3 either. Point being that he can't rely on other things to get by if he doesn't return to full strength and that's the biggest concern of all.

I agree on the hands, but I don't think Little has great separation, which is why I brought him up. Either way, my concern is Crabtree isn't an elite athlete. He doesn't run in the 4.3's, probably not even in the 4.4's. He isn't elite quick or elite strong. He isn't 6'3 either. Point being that he can't rely on other things to get by if he doesn't return to full strength and that's the biggest concern of all.
And my problem with this thinking is that you seem to be assuming Thomas is relying on those things to get him by rather than he just made a full recovery and has those things.

Disagree, the discussion is value and it has two huge reasons to downgrade Crabtree: 1) He lost a year in the prime of his career. 2) He may never be the same player again and subsequent years could be tarnished in the WR3/4 area. They both affect your number of points over his entire career.

Terrell Davis' points pre/post injury aren't even close, nobody can assume Crabtree will bounce back. Just like nobody should've assumed TD would've returned to 1500 rushing yards a year form. If they did, it likely cost them a lot of value.

And my problem with this thinking is that you seem to be assuming Thomas is relying on those things to get him by rather than he just made a full recovery and has those things.
Did I mention Thomas?

If you want to compare, Thomas is a different animal from Crabtree. Speed=Thomas, Size=Thomas, Strength=Thomas, YAC=even. Thomas had a partial tear of his Achilles, Crabtree had a full tear.

Did I mention Thomas?

If you want to compare, Thomas is a different animal from Crabtree. Speed=Thomas, Size=Thomas, Strength=Thomas, YAC=even. Thomas had a partial tear of his Achilles, Crabtree had a full tear.
Someone did a page ago, I thought it might have been you.

I don't think anyone is saying differently that Thomas has Crabtree on all the physical traits which is why he is considered the better WR today and 2 months ago. The point is Thomas appears to have made a full recovery which should be an encouraging sign for Crabtree instead of being twisted by some to be a negative because "Crabtree doesn't have the physical traits to get by". He plays in the NFL, he's a world class athlete.

Did I mention Thomas?

Someone did a page ago, I thought it might have been you.

I don't think anyone is saying differently that Thomas has Crabtree on all the physical traits which is why he is considered the better WR today and 2 months ago. The point is Thomas appears to have made a full recovery which should be an encouraging sign for Crabtree instead of being twisted by some to be a negative because "Crabtree doesn't have the physical traits to get by". He plays in the NFL, he's a world class athlete.
Two things:

1) We don't know if Thomas has made a full recovery. He may only be playing at 90% of what he was at pre-injury. But due to his overwhelming athleticism, he can overcome that. No, Crabtree isn't a world class athlete.

2) Partial(Thomas) and full tear(Crabtree) is a big difference.

ETA:

World Class=elite

Playing in the NFL<Good athlete

Is Mason Crosby a world class athlete? No

I just offered Daryl Richardson and a 2nd rounder for MJD. I really couldn't bring myself to offer more than that for him. I think this once stalwart player is going to hit the wall soon. That offer even sounds a little high to me, but I do have 4 first rounders next year so I doubt I even use that pick. Am I crazy here?

Has it been documented that Demaryius Thomas' achilles injury was not a full tear? If so, I'd be a little more nervous about Crabtree truly being a new test case for the full tear.

humpback said:
squistion said:
humpback said:
Concept Coop said:
humpback said:
Stable from where it was. Like Peterson, Charles, Thomas, RG3 - naive or foolish, maybe - but I'm expecting guys to bounce back faster than expected and very close to 100% of what they were pre-injury. Even Tommy John isn't what it was a decade ago.

For the record, I am not a Crabtree guy. Didn't have him on a single roster pre-injury. But after the injury, I really like his new pricetag.
Even if he comes back to 100%, his value has to be lower than it was because you know you are getting a zero for the majority of a season, most likely an entire one.

I bring it up because people have said this a lot lately- "his short term value drops but long term stays the same". That doesn't add up to me, since long term value incorporates short term value. Take a season away from anyone and their long-term value has to drop some.
Yes, but it depends on the time line dynasty strategy you have. I use a 2-3 year window with 50% of value the coming year, so from my perspective, this injury (even if he fully recovers) is still a big hit on his value. Someone like Adam/SSOG looks to a much longer time line, up to 10 years (from past comments he has made) so the loss of the coming season detracts little from Crabtree's perceived value.
I get that, but even if you look out 10 years, and weigh each year equally (which would be ridiculous IMO), taking 1 year away would mean he's only 90% as valuable. That's not insignificant.
In a perfect world, if we all had crystal balls, a player would enter a season with a value of "X", would accumulate "Y" value during the season, and would leave the season with a value of "X-Y". In a perfect world, if we all had crystal balls, every player's value would be at its absolute highest before he ever took a single snap, and it would slowly and gently decline over his entire career until he reached the end.

In the real world, we have replaced our crystal balls with a glut of imperfect information and misleading clues. Instead of a player's value slowly declining as he uses it up (as in the perfect world), a player's value can decline for a number of reasons- he might use his value up and age, or he might give us new information that suggests we had him overvalued in the first place. Likewise, his value can actually increase if he gives us new information that suggests we had him undervalued.

As a result, whenever I rank a player, I rank him based on a risk profile. There are plenty of things that a player can do to decrease his value, from age to injury to underperformance. At a certain point of the career arc, though, age is by far the least significant of those things (when weighted against the others). A 26 year old WR is much more likely to lose value because I was wrong in my evaluations of his talent than he is because he aged a year and used up a certain percentage of the allotted value for his career. Given that, if a player is sufficiently young, his age plays very little role in how I value him. If Percy Harvin was a year older or a year younger, it would have basically no impact on how I value him today (even though, theoretically, the difference between N+1 and N-1 represents a potentially huge amount of value over Harvin's career).

So yes, from a high-level theoretical standpoint, it's impossible to say that a player's short term value decreases but his long-term value remains the same. From a dirty, messy, practical standpoint, though, it's a reasonable statement. If I value 27 year old WRs essentially identically to how I value 26 year old WRs, then the fact that Crabtree is going to lose his 26 season doesn't necessarily make a big impact on how I value him long-term.

This isn't to say that Crabtree's injury hasn't caused his value to fall. Obviously there is some time-value to production. I disagree with how large that time-value is, but I don't disagree that it exists. Obviously any injury presents new risks that didn't exist before, risks that the recovery doesn't go as planned, risks that his team's plans change. I think Michael Crabtree post-injury is less valuable than was Michael Crabtree pre-injury. I'm just saying the reason I think he's less valuable has little to do with the fact that he's going to enter his next productive season at age 27 instead of at age 26, as I originally anticipated.

Very short-sighted philosophy. Bench players don't go DOWN in value just because a year passes, they go up or down based on the probability of them becoming fantasy starter worthy. If player X is going to break out in his 3rd year, his REAL (not projected or guessed) value is still RISING through his first 3 seasons, not falling. Your theory fails to account for opportunity cost- the value of the roster spot locked up by a player you can't yet utilize. Even if you had the perfect crystal ball and knew exactly what player X would do every season for the next 10 years, his max value would still be just before whatever season he becomes a fantasy starter to stay...NOT 2 or 3 years ahead of that date.

Your explanation here implies that a player with 10 years of mediocre production ahead of him ....ten years of bye week level (sub level) production...would hold more real value than a perennial all-pro with only a year or two of fantasy WR1-2 production and another season of bye week production left. I know you don't believe this (nobody does), but your logic here leads to this. We'd all take 2 years of a fantasy WR1/2 over 10 years of meh on our bench.
I don't think you are interpreting SSOG's post correctly, not really close actually.

For example, nothing in his post suggests that multiple years of a mediocre player's value would be greater than an all pro. "Value" in SSOG's post implies points over replacement, not the number of points he scores. So a mediocre player putting up 10 years of replacement level play will have no value under this theoretical (at least thats how I read it). An all pro can eclipse a mediocre player's value in half a year. In any case, this concept isn't even the focus of the post.

Also, when SSOG says a player's value goes down as he gets further along in his career, you are taking that out of context (if that is what you mean by a "short-sighted philosophy" - perhaps you are referring to another philosophy since SSOG's discussion was largely theoretical). He is describing value as all of the value a player will accumulate over his entire career. Where, for example, a player will accumulate 200 points of value over his entire career, after he finishes a year where he produces a value of 20, he has used up 20 of his value so his remaining "value" is naturally 180. Your application of that concept to a bench player's value not going down is not a correct one imo.

Im not seeing much connection at all between your post and SSOG's.

I don't think you are interpreting SSOG's post correctly, not really close actually.

For example, nothing in his post suggests that multiple years of a mediocre player's value would be greater than an all pro. "Value" in SSOG's post implies points over replacement, not the number of points he scores. So a mediocre player putting up 10 years of replacement level play will have no value under this theoretical (at least thats how I read it). An all pro can eclipse a mediocre player's value in half a year. In any case, this concept isn't even the focus of the post.

Also, when SSOG says a player's value goes down as he gets further along in his career, you are taking that out of context (if that is what you mean by a "short-sighted philosophy" - perhaps you are referring to another philosophy since SSOG's discussion was largely theoretical). He is describing value as all of the value a player will accumulate over his entire career. Where, for example, a player will accumulate 200 points of value over his entire career, after he finishes a year where he produces a value of 20, he has used up 20 of his value so his remaining "value" is naturally 180. Your application of that concept to a bench player's value not going down is not a correct one imo.

I do, it seemed a spot on response to me.

humpback said:
squistion said:
humpback said:
Concept Coop said:
humpback said:

Again, Value is not Points. Value is some ephemeral catch-all that means "whatever production you gain in excess of some baseline". If a guy is projected to score 5 points a year for the next 100 years, his value is not "500", it is zero. Actually, it is negative, because that production certainly falls *BELOW* whatever baseline you're using. If a guy is worse than a street free agent, then his value is negative. If a guy is not starter caliber, his value is zero or negative. This is the same reasoning behind the whole "if I can get 75% of Crabtree's production, then even if I lose him for his entire career I've only lost 25% of his value" fallacy.

I will agree that if we had an absolutely perfect crystal ball (or the benefit of 20/20 hindsight) and we graphed a player's "true value" (as opposed to projected or estimated value) over time, it is possible a lot of guys would see their value rise slightly for their first few years before it finally started falling. Jimmy Smith is a good example- even with perfect hindsight, his value was higher when he joined the Jags than it was when he joined the Cowboys because there was less opportunity cost in terms of how long you had to tie up a roster spot. Still, this only matters for purposes of whether to roster him if there are street free agents with a higher value than Smith, which would depend a lot on league size and roster size, but which would be unlikely in most formats.

Either way, while adding the opportunity cost of a roster spot and creating a situation where "true value" can rise with respect to time might improve the accuracy of the thought experiment, I estimated that the accuracy gains were small enough as to be outweighed by the loss of simplicity. The thought experiment wasn't meant to be a deep metadiscussion on the concept of true inherent value, it was more meant to be an exercise demonstrating that the objective of most rankings is not going to be to track perfectly with true inherent value. In the thought experiment, it is inarguable that the hypothetical WR lost "true value", yet I suspect that the vast majority of fantasy players would not lower their "estimated value" of the player in response. And I'm not arguing that they should, either, I'm just pointing out the discrepancy.

Disagree, the discussion is value and it has two huge reasons to downgrade Crabtree: 1) He lost a year in the prime of his career. 2) He may never be the same player again and subsequent years could be tarnished in the WR3/4 area. They both affect your number of points over his entire career.

Terrell Davis' points pre/post injury aren't even close, nobody can assume Crabtree will bounce back. Just like nobody should've assumed TD would've returned to 1500 rushing yards a year form. If they did, it likely cost them a lot of value.
Yes, the overarching discussion is value. That value is made up of three components. I was attempting to separate those three elements, to tease them apart in order to get a more accurate idea of how the three interact and impact his value. To do so, I need to look at the three elements individually, and that's what I was referring to there. I was trying to have a "sub-discussion", which was part of the overarching discussion (how Crabtree should be valued), and in that subdiscussion I was trying to look at one of the three factors independent of the other two.

In order to value Crabtree today, I need to assess how losing a season's worth of "true value" impacts his "estimated value". I need to calculate the time value of the lost production and how I should value the pain of having to wait a season. Finally, I need to calculate the chances that Michael Crabtree returns to his pre-injury form, and use that to create an Expected Value of what percentage of his original value he should carry today. The thought experiment I proposed is useful for answering that first question, but useless for answering the second and third. Still, if I can get an answer to the first question on its own, and I can get an answer to the second on its own, and I can get an answer to the third on its own, then I can multiply those three values and get an answer to the overall question of what Crabtree is worth after his injury relative to what he was worth before his injury.

Sabertooth said:
I just offered Daryl Richardson and a 2nd rounder for MJD. I really couldn't bring myself to offer more than that for him. I think this once stalwart player is going to hit the wall soon. That offer even sounds a little high to me, but I do have 4 first rounders next year so I doubt I even use that pick. Am I crazy here?
I'd be pretty happy to get Jones-Drew for that, but then again, I'm not that high on Richardson (he has somewhere around a 1-in-3 chance at being a long-term contributor, and even then his chances of fantasy relevancy are lower still), and I think 2nd rounders are typically just chum used to make trades look more appealing. If Jones-Drew gives even one more top-12 season, I think he more than justified that price.

MJD and Gore both make a lot of sense on teams in win-now mode but void of a quality RB2, just full of young guys with potential. I would not break the bank for either, but if you're deep at a position the MJD/Gore owner is weak then kick the tires.

Is Frank Gore done?
Nope, not yet.
Would you apply what you just said about MJD to Gore?
Not quite. Jones-Drew is two years younger, has been substantially more productive that Gore over his career, and faces less competition. He's more likely to be a top-12 RB this year, and he's more likely to be able to sustain that for multiple years to come. He is a substantially more valuable dynasty asset (i.e. I think one Jones-Drew is worth several Gores- at least two, possibly three).

With that said, I'd be pretty happy to trade for Gore as my RB2 this season if the price was right. And in leagues where his owner is not counting on him as a starter, the price is almost always right.

Not quite. Jones-Drew is two years younger, has been substantially more productive that Gore over his career, and faces less competition. He's more likely to be a top-12 RB this year, and he's more likely to be able to sustain that for multiple years to come. He is a substantially more valuable dynasty asset (i.e. I think one Jones-Drew is worth several Gores- at least two, possibly three).

With that said, I'd be pretty happy to trade for Gore as my RB2 this season if the price was right. And in leagues where his owner is not counting on him as a starter, the price is almost always right.
Substantially?

Career stats:

Gore

MJD

Ernol said:
renesauz said:
Adam Harstad said:
squistion said:
humpback said:
squistion said:
humpback said:

He went on to clarify himself somewhat, but the basic point remained. If a player has to sit on the bench for 2 years before putting up starter worthy #s, his value is lower than a guy already putting up starter quality numbers, even if their lifetime "value over replacement" is similar, because of the opportunity cost of riding the fantasy pine.

Similarly, a fantasy WR3 with 6 years of production left will have a higher total value by this philosophy than a high end 2/low end 1 with only 2 years of top shelf production left, but this line of though does not correctly account for the additional 4 years of potential value from the second players replacement, nor does it account for the fact that the 2nd player will help you win a championship, while the first just keeps you competitive. Lifetime value is not a simple year 1 +year 2+ year 3 value equation.

Users who are viewing this thread