What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (2 Viewers)

So happy! I'm so tired of Rousey. LMAO at everyone who said she could beat Mayweather.

Holm was awesome tonight. This reminds me of Tyson/Douglas a bit. It was amazing how bad Rousey looked. And it was amazing how classless she was - not touching gloves and leaving without an interview.

Great night.

this is what happens when you stop concentrating on fighting and more on movies and tv spots and start believing your own hype ...you start to float in the air instead of staying grounded ...sometimes losing is the best thing that can happen to a fighter

I didn't realize there were so many people so upset with RR.

Let it all out, friends.
I just think the hype was out of hand. There was just no one on her level in the division, so she looked awesome. But to say she would beat Mayweather was just silliness, yet people insisted it would happen.

I always like to see cocky people brought down to earth. This was wonderful.

How much of it is marketing and how much is real? If she was vanilla and nice then would this have been ppv main event, I don't think so.

Let it all out, friends.
Just tired of the hype...deserved or not.

Let it all out, friends.
I just think the hype was out of hand. There was just no one on her level in the division, so she looked awesome. But to say she would beat Mayweather was just silliness, yet people insisted it would happen.I always like to see cocky people brought down to earth. This was wonderful.
:goodposting:

The hype was reaching new fever pitches of stupidity after every one of her fights. Combine that with Ronda being such a miserable human being, you get a lot of well-deserved schadenfreude when the train finally goes off the tracks.

kutta said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:

Let it all out, friends.
I just think the hype was out of hand. There was just no one on her level in the division, so she looked awesome. But to say she would beat Mayweather was just silliness, yet people insisted it would happen.

I always like to see cocky people brought down to earth. This was wonderful.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it.

Here's what I can't stand in sports. Rousey's tweet the day before the fight:

Fake ### cheap shotting fake respect fake humility ##### - "preacher's daughter" my ### - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your ### kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL

Last edited by a moderator:

Fake ### cheap shotting fake respect fake humility ##### - "preacher's daughter" my ### - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your ### kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL
I don't really buy into that as her legit take on things (other than the confidence). She gets a cut of the PPV butyrate. She's selling a fight. (see also Chael Sonnen, Connor McGregor, Nick Diaz, etc). You can argue it was the UFC hype machine, her own cockiness, or her own success -- IMO its a combination of all the above -- but she has reached rare air in popularity for MMA fighters. It's usually really telling how fighters act AFTER a fight, not before. If RR comes out and says that little preachers daughter caught her with a lucky shot and she's going to kill her 99 out of the next 100 fights and #### Holly Holm etc, then I admit to being fooled and that she really is an ###.

I suspect RR will come out humbly and say that Holly was better prepared and she was the better woman -- until the rematch PPV hype starts rolling, when of course she'll turn back into cocky, brash, marketing-Rousey again.

I don't really buy into that as her legit take on things (other than the confidence). She gets a cut of the PPV butyrate. She's selling a fight. (see also Chael Sonnen, Connor McGregor, Nick Diaz, etc). You can argue it was the UFC hype machine, her own cockiness, or her own success -- IMO its a combination of all the above -- but she has reached rare air in popularity for MMA fighters. It's usually really telling how fighters act AFTER a fight, not before. If RR comes out and says that little preachers daughter caught her with a lucky shot and she's going to kill her 99 out of the next 100 fights and #### Holly Holm etc, then I admit to being fooled and that she really is an ###.

I suspect RR will come out humbly and say that Holly was better prepared and she was the better woman -- until the rematch PPV hype starts rolling, when of course she'll turn back into cocky, brash, marketing-Rousey again.
I get that. And the three guys you mentioned are also three guys I can't stand. I hate it when people promo fights that way. It cheapens the sport, IMO.

You never saw GSP do that. Lawler doesn't do it. Ben Henderson doesn't do it. It's not needed, it's disrespectful, and I don't like fighters who do it.

I get that. And the three guys you mentioned are also three guys I can't stand. I hate it when people promo fights that way. It cheapens the sport, IMO.

You never saw GSP do that. Lawler doesn't do it. Ben Henderson doesn't do it. It's not needed, it's disrespectful, and I don't like fighters who do it.
Did Muhammad Ali cheapen boxing? No, I'm not trying to compare the MMA skill of any of those mentioned with MA's boxing skills. just wondering if it's ever OK as part of a loud personality and a lightning rod for attention being a good thing for a given sport.

Did Muhammad Ali cheapen boxing? No, I'm not trying to compare the MMA skill of any of those mentioned with MA's boxing skills. just wondering if it's ever OK as part of a loud personality and a lightning rod for attention being a good thing for a given sport.
There's a difference between promoting a fight and being an #######. I rarely like the loudmouths because they hide behind "promoting a fight" when in reality they are just #######s. I think Sonnen is the only one who does the silliness before a fight who I wouldn't consider an #######. He actuallly seems like a decent guy.

We just disagree. I like respect in sports. I think you should always show respect for your opponent. I'm all for some celebration and some smack talk, but it's the lack of respect some of these people, including Rousey, show that I just don't like.

Ali was a lot more than a #### talker. He was a showman. Don't see Rousey being comparable to Ali in any way.

scoobus said:
Just unbelievably dumb by Rousey, talk about believing your own hype in regards to her standup. No doubt in my mind if Rousey goes in just trying to grapple and armbar her she wins within a round, but her doofus (and bankrupt) coach has her believing she can actually beat boxing world champions on the feet. Mind-boggling stupid.

Anyways, massive props to Holly Holm. Handled everything prefight and after the fight with amazing class, very worthy champion. Rematch will make her some serious $$$ if she didn't already make a ton tonight.
Yep :goodposting:

I get that. And the three guys you mentioned are also three guys I can't stand. I hate it when people promo fights that way. It cheapens the sport, IMO.You never saw GSP do that. Lawler doesn't do it. Ben Henderson doesn't do it. It's not needed, it's disrespectful, and I don't like fighters who do it.
Guys gotta get paid :shrug:

Demetrius Johnson doesn't sniff what these guys make because he has a terribly boring personality. Being respectful and polite doesn't stir fans emotions for better or worse.

Couldn't stand Sonnens shtick, love McGregors. Both gave me a reason to pay to watch them.

I get that. And the three guys you mentioned are also three guys I can't stand. I hate it when people promo fights that way. It cheapens the sport, IMO.You never saw GSP do that. Lawler doesn't do it. Ben Henderson doesn't do it. It's not needed, it's disrespectful, and I don't like fighters who do it.
Guys gotta get paid :shrug:

Demetrius Johnson doesn't sniff what these guys make because he has a terribly boring personality. Being respectful and polite doesn't stir fans emotions for better or worse.

Couldn't stand Sonnens shtick, love McGregors. Both gave me a reason to pay to watch them.
There are a LOT of respectful fighters who make a lot of money. If the sport is at the point where you have to be a loud, obnoxious, disrespecftul jerk in order to earn money, then I don't want any part of it. I might as well watch pro wrestling.

Some people obviously like it. Others obviously don't. I am one of those who doesn't like it.

Guys gotta get paid :shrug: Demetrius Johnson doesn't sniff what these guys make because he has a terribly boring personality. Being respectful and polite doesn't stir fans emotions for better or worse.

There are a LOT of respectful fighters who make a lot of money. If the sport is at the point where you have to be a loud, obnoxious, disrespecftul jerk in order to earn money, then I don't want any part of it. I might as well watch pro wrestling.Some people obviously like it. Others obviously don't. I am one of those who doesn't like it.
And the guys you don't like are respectful in the cage. That's the important part IMO.

Sports are entertainment. Some of these guys entertain when not in competition. The sport doesn't necessarily need it, but it sure helps sell tickets.

Guys gotta get paid :shrug: Demetrius Johnson doesn't sniff what these guys make because he has a terribly boring personality. Being respectful and polite doesn't stir fans emotions for better or worse.

There are a LOT of respectful fighters who make a lot of money. If the sport is at the point where you have to be a loud, obnoxious, disrespecftul jerk in order to earn money, then I don't want any part of it. I might as well watch pro wrestling.Some people obviously like it. Others obviously don't. I am one of those who doesn't like it.
And the guys you don't like are respectful in the cage. That's the important part IMO.

Sports are entertainment. Some of these guys entertain when not in competition. The sport doesn't necessarily need it, but it sure helps sell tickets.
Diaz is respectful in the cage???? And I wouldn't exactly say Rousey and McGreggor are respectful in the cage either.

Rousey depressed and bummed...will get a plastic surgeon to fix the "very big gash" in her lip.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/15/ronda-rousy-fight-holly-holm-rematch/

Ronda Rousey is "depressed" and "bummed out" after losing her UFC title to Holly Holm, but UFC Prez Dana White tells TMZ Sports there will absolutely be a rematch.

We're told Ronda was kept overnight in an Australian hospital. White tells us she does not have a concussion but there's a "very big gash" in the middle of her lip. White and team searched for the best plastic surgeon in Australia, who's going to do his handiwork today.

Ronda, who spent the night in the hospital with her sister, did not talk about the loss. As Dana tells us, "The last thing a fighter wants to do is talk about a fight when they lose." White says, "There was not a lot of talking."

Dana had high praise for both fighters. As for Ronda, he says, "What this woman has done has never been done before. We've been doing this for 15 years with huge stars, and Ronda has broken every record."

As for Holly, White says people didn't give her due credit going in ... "Holly had 45 fights before and multiple world titles. She was totally calm and cool." And he says she's score a phenomenal payday.

Dana says, "There will absolutely be a rematch. It's the fight that makes sense."

kutta said:
Diaz is respectful in the cage????
Once the fight is over, yes.

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz could be one of the most misunderstood fighters in MMA today.

He speaks his mind, goes by the beat of his own drum, and is often characterized as a fighter that does nothing but talk trash to his opponents while flipping them off during his fights.

All of those things are true to a degree, but what most Diaz critics fail to see is the respect he shows to most of his opponents after each fight.

Do you remember how the BJ Penn/Nick Diaz weigh-in went down when they basically butted heads and UFC President Dana White had to quickly jump in and separate them? Remember the respect he showed BJ Penn after battering him for the last two rounds of their fight at UFC 137?

Remember the Nick Diaz/Paul Daley weigh-in footage where they called one another all types of names? What about the footage of Diaz and Paul Daley meeting up in the lobby of a hotel after they had waged one of the most epic one round fights ever in April 2011?

Notice a pattern?

Remember the war of words Diaz had with Frank Shamrock in 2009? Do you remember how Diaz walked with Shamrock around the cage after their fight holding his hand in the air, or how he bowed to Shamrock in an corridor outside their dressing room after beating Shamrock into retirement?

Now, it’s true we’ve seen Diaz go off his rocker when close judges decisions don’t go his way. We’ve seen him claim that judges are out to get him, or how he’s overworked and underpaid. We’ve seen how incoherent he can be at times when answering questions in his interviews.

There are many facets to Nick Diaz, and for whatever reasons people have a love/hate relationship with him. Some people love the fact that he sort of does his own thing, abides by his own rules, and simply come to bring it once he steps inside the cage.

Some people despise his antics and bash him for instigating post-fight riots, or the trash talk he uses to get himself motivated to fight his opponents.

All of that stuff is true, but if we’re going to recognize the times that Diaz is unruly or seemingly disrespectful, we need to recognize the times he has shown great humility and respect as well.

kutta said:
Diaz is respectful in the cage????
Once the fight is over, yes.

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz could be one of the most misunderstood fighters in MMA today.

He speaks his mind, goes by the beat of his own drum, and is often characterized as a fighter that does nothing but talk trash to his opponents while flipping them off during his fights.

All of those things are true to a degree, but what most Diaz critics fail to see is the respect he shows to most of his opponents after each fight.

Do you remember how the BJ Penn/Nick Diaz weigh-in went down when they basically butted heads and UFC President Dana White had to quickly jump in and separate them? Remember the respect he showed BJ Penn after battering him for the last two rounds of their fight at UFC 137?

Remember the Nick Diaz/Paul Daley weigh-in footage where they called one another all types of names? What about the footage of Diaz and Paul Daley meeting up in the lobby of a hotel after they had waged one of the most epic one round fights ever in April 2011?

Notice a pattern?

Remember the war of words Diaz had with Frank Shamrock in 2009? Do you remember how Diaz walked with Shamrock around the cage after their fight holding his hand in the air, or how he bowed to Shamrock in an corridor outside their dressing room after beating Shamrock into retirement?

Now, it’s true we’ve seen Diaz go off his rocker when close judges decisions don’t go his way. We’ve seen him claim that judges are out to get him, or how he’s overworked and underpaid. We’ve seen how incoherent he can be at times when answering questions in his interviews.

There are many facets to Nick Diaz, and for whatever reasons people have a love/hate relationship with him. Some people love the fact that he sort of does his own thing, abides by his own rules, and simply come to bring it once he steps inside the cage.

Some people despise his antics and bash him for instigating post-fight riots, or the trash talk he uses to get himself motivated to fight his opponents.

All of that stuff is true, but if we’re going to recognize the times that Diaz is unruly or seemingly disrespectful, we need to recognize the times he has shown great humility and respect as well.
If you are going to argue that Diaz is a respectful fighter, we probably just need to end this discussion. We aren't going to convince each other.

I like how you guys treat this nonsense like some sacred ritual, like it's sumo or something.

In an ideal world, she'd come out in a luchador mask, call the crowd a bunch of dumb hillbillies, and deck people with steel chairs.

If you are going to argue that Diaz is a respectful fighter, we probably just need to end this discussion. We aren't going to convince each other.
I'm going to argue that Diaz is generally a respectful person but, like Rousey, pretends to be very disrespectful to sell fights. We don't have to agree on that. :shrug:

Sure, but wouldn't it be kinda dull (definitely less popular to the masses) if you had all GSPs running around? Sometimes I tuned in on the hopes that a guy like Diaz got his ### handed to him.

Sure, but wouldn't it be kinda dull (definitely less popular to the masses) if you had all GSPs running around? Sometimes I tuned in on the hopes that a guy like Diaz got his ### handed to him.
I agree. It adds excitement. I just don't like the people doing it. But I sure do root hard against them. So it works.

Ronda posted on Twitter:

“I just wanted to thank everyone for the love and support,” Rousey wrote. “I appreciate the concerns about my health, but I’m fine. As I mentioned before I am going to take a little bit of time, but I’ll be back.”

http://fansided.com/2015/11/15/ronda-rousey-statement-ufc-193-instagram/?utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=si.com

Rousey is referencing plans to take a break from the UFC that she mentioned before UFC 193. Rousey said she was going to disappear to work on some movie projects which will require her time.

Ronda posted on Twitter:

“I just wanted to thank everyone for the love and support,” Rousey wrote. “I appreciate the concerns about my health, but I’m fine. As I mentioned before I am going to take a little bit of time, but I’ll be back.”

http://fansided.com/2015/11/15/ronda-rousey-statement-ufc-193-instagram/?utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=si.com

Rousey is referencing plans to take a break from the UFC that she mentioned before UFC 193. Rousey said she was going to disappear to work on some movie projects which will require her time.
Nothing congratulating the new champ? Color me shocked.

Just unbelievably dumb by Rousey, talk about believing your own hype in regards to her standup. No doubt in my mind if Rousey goes in just trying to grapple and armbar her she wins within a round, but her doofus (and bankrupt) coach has her believing she can actually beat boxing world champions on the feet. Mind-boggling stupid.

Anyways, massive props to Holly Holm. Handled everything prefight and after the fight with amazing class, very worthy champion. Rematch will make her some serious $$$ if she didn't already make a ton tonight.
Rousey did about anything she could to try to clinch up and take her down. She's not a wrestler, she doesn't go for shots, she clinches up and does judo throws. Holly kept on the move and kept a fist in her face preventing her from grappling. That's about all she was trying to do though, she didn't want to stand at all.

Users who are viewing this thread