What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

It's a PPV? Can't really see a ton of people shelling out $ for Silvia-Sonnen and ancient Fedor getting starched by Meathead. Free? Sure, I'd watch. But pay for that?  :no:

The PPV 210 card may be the weakest of upcoming UFC cards for April 8 (210), 15th, & 22nd.  I can't believe they burried Souza down in the middle of the KC card.  Dude gets no respect.  Watch the show do great numbers, and the UFC reacts by putting mighty Mouse as a PPV main event. Doh

Last edited by a moderator:
The PPV 210 card may be the weakest of upcoming UFC cards for April 8 (210), 15th, & 22nd.  I can't believe they burried Souza down in the middle of the KC card.  Dude gets no respect.  Watch the show do great numbers, and the UFC reacts by putting mighty Mouse as a PPV main event. Doh
With Jones in limbo, Demetrious Johnson is by far the best fighter on the roster (and the world IMO) -- they really need to promote him more and build up some credible opponents for him. Guy is exciting as hell in the cage, gets finishes, and puts on fast paced technical masterpieces. If they handled him correctly, his fights would sell IMO.

I don't know if DJ will ever be a big draw. He's incredible, but beyond having to overcome the fact that viewers tend to care more about the heavier weight classes, there's literally no one else anyone gives a damn about in the division, and he's not flamboyant enough to sell people on the idea that they should pay to watch him regardless of the opponent. And the technical clinics he puts on aren't necessarily to everyone's taste.

With Jones in limbo, Demetrious Johnson is by far the best fighter on the roster (and the world IMO) -- they really need to promote him more and build up some credible opponents for him. Guy is exciting as hell in the cage, gets finished, and puts on fast paced technical masterpieces. If they handled him correctly, his fights would sell IMO.
I don't disagree that Mighty Mouse is an exciting fighter, but 125lb guys just don't move the needle.  I look at that card, and Souza is the guy I want to see.  

DJ will never be Conor, Lesnar, or GSP in terms of drawing power -- that is a given. But IMO they can / could have done a much better job promoting him IMO. The entire division gets buried on fight pass / prelims and no one knows or cares who they are, so there hasn't been anything resembling a title fight that people care about for years in the division. If the UFC actually invested some time and money promoting the flyweight fights themselves (which are typically fast paced and hugely entertaining) and giving the division exposure, that might change. As it stands now it's just DJ putting a beating on the next guy that no one has ever heard of, and that will never generate buys. It's a shame, considering that he's probably one of the most dominant fighters at any weight class in the sport's history -- that's all I'm saying.

Also, why not let him move up? Cruz II, TJ, or Garbrandt would all be great fights. And the storyline of trying to get a 2nd belt after legitimately and completely cleaning out a first division would write itself.

DJ will never be Conor, Lesnar, or GSP in terms of drawing power -- that is a given. But IMO they can / could have done a much better job promoting him IMO. The entire division gets buried on fight pass / prelims and no one knows or cares who they are, so there hasn't been anything resembling a title fight that people care about for years in the division. If the UFC actually invested some time and money promoting the flyweight fights themselves (which are typically fast paced and hugely entertaining) and giving the division exposure, that might change. As it stands now it's just DJ putting a beating on the next guy that no one has ever heard of, and that will never generate buys. It's a shame, considering that he's probably one of the most dominant fighters at any weight class in the sport's history -- that's all I'm saying.

Also, why not let him move up? Cruz II, TJ, or Garbrandt would all be great fights. And the storyline of trying to get a 2nd belt after legitimately and completely cleaning out a first division would write itself.
I agree to a certain extent, but I just don't think people are super interested in watching 125 lb. fighters. They could promote all day, and he's just not going to be a huge draw because people want to see bigger dudes, IMO.

I agree to a certain extent, but I just don't think people are super interested in watching 125 lb. fighters. They could promote all day, and he's just not going to be a huge draw because people want to see bigger dudes, IMO.
Yeah, that absolutely plays a role with a large segment of potential buyers. I don't really get the love for watching a mediocre sloppy slugfest with both guys gassing three minutes in just because the fighters are HWs, but to each his own. My question would be centered around how much perceived difference is the, really, between the flyweight and the bantamweight divisions in the eyes of that same group? Because some BW fights have seemingly been much more heavily promoted, and successful in terms of drawing power, despite the marginal size difference between fighters in the two divisions. Really, all I'm saying is that I think the UFC has made a mistake with the lack of promotional push behind one of their top fighters, in an era where they seemingly need all the help that they can get in terms of star power.

Yeah, that absolutely plays a role with a large segment of potential buyers. I don't really get the love for watching a mediocre sloppy slugfest with both guys gassing three minutes in just because the fighters are HWs, but to each his own. My question would be centered around how much perceived difference is the, really, between the flyweight and the bantamweight divisions in the eyes of that same group? Because some BW fights have seemingly been much more heavily promoted, and successful in terms of drawing power, despite the marginal size difference between fighters in the two divisions. Really, all I'm saying is that I think the UFC has made a mistake with the lack of promotional push behind one of their top fighters, in an era where they seemingly need all the help that they can get in terms of star power.
I think the sweet spot for great fights that interest me are 155,170, and 185. It seems that so many great fights and fighters come out of those divisions. 

I think the sweet spot for great fights that interest me are 155,170, and 185. It seems that so many great fights and fighters come out of those divisions. 
Agreed -- for me 55 and 70 have been the most competitive and interesting UFC divisions overall. I do love to watch the little guys too -- going back to the WEC days I've always been a fan of the quick little technical guys who never run out of energy. :tipsout40fortheWEC:

155+ for me.  Conor made 145 interesting for a minute, but there isn't anyone after Holloway & Aldo.  Cruz, Garbrant, Dillinshaw, and DJ are probably the only big names anyone cares about in the lower divisions.  

I don't care much for the sloppy slugfest, but there is something that makes it a little more intriguing when there can be a ko at any minute.

Artem Lobov is headlining the April 22 card. It's not stronger than 210.

Coeur de Lion said:

Let him? Last I heard he doesn't want to move back to 135. He fought there pre-125 division and was tiny.

I don't know if DJ will ever be a big draw. He's incredible, but beyond having to overcome the fact that viewers tend to care more about the heavier weight classes, there's literally no one else anyone gives a damn about in the division, and he's not flamboyant enough to sell people on the idea that they should pay to watch him regardless of the opponent. And the technical clinics he puts on aren't necessarily to everyone's taste.
I think he is also falling into the trap that Anderson fell into in that he cleared out his division. Nobody there to really challenge him. Takes 2 to tango. Look at where Aldo was at before Conner, and then the love he got when Conner began to rise

Let him? Last I heard he doesn't want to move back to 135. He fought there pre-125 division and was tiny.
Yeah, that is definitely possible. I'd think, though, that he'd be interested in the money that would follow much higher profile fights with the any of the three guys I mentioned above. He absolutely was tiny at 135 -- I remember the Cruz fight where he basically just got big-brothered by Dom. Still, DJ was 10-2 at BW, with wins over Miguel Torres, Kid Yamamoto, and Demacio Page. With the improvement that he has made, I think he'd be a handful for anyone at the higher weight.

Quez said:
155+ for me.  Conor made 145 interesting for a minute, but there isn't anyone after Holloway & Aldo.  Cruz, Garbrant, Dillinshaw, and DJ are probably the only big names anyone cares about in the lower divisions.  

I don't care much for the sloppy slugfest, but there is something that makes it a little more intriguing when there can be a ko at any minute.
your missing out if you think this. I know the UFC roster is huge these days and there are too many cards to keep up, but off the top of my head Yair Rodriguez and Frankie Edgar still need to be in this conversation (I know Aldo beat Frankie soundly at 200, but Frankie admitted to being off that night).

And honestly, if it wasn't for Conner McGreggor constantly talking #### and getting all the media love, he would be on par with most of the guys you listed. It only takes one guy with charisma to grow these weight classes a bit more.

I agree that 125 and 135 will always have a "ceiling" effect on them, where they could have that character added, but will never get as high as heavier divisions. The interesting one for me is comparing the 125 and 135 divisions popularity to women's MMA

your missing out if you think this. I know the UFC roster is huge these days and there are too many cards to keep up, but off the top of my head Yair Rodriguez and Frankie Edgar still need to be in this conversation (I know Aldo beat Frankie soundly at 200, but Frankie admitted to being off that night).
Anthony Pettis, Cub Swanson, and the Korean Zombie are all fantastic offensive fighters well worth watching, even if none of the three is likely to be able to beat Aldo any time soon. Chad Mendes is still a stud even after losing to McGregor and Edgar, too. I agree with you -- lots of exciting potential fights at FW IMO.

Well, it looks like I'm going to be switching gyms. I've been doing Muay Thai and boxing at the MMA Lab for almost five years now, and I've loved every minute of it. However, they cancelled their morning classes, and, the trainer I really like is moving on to open the MMA Lab in Scottsdale AZ. So, with regret, I'm leaving.

I'm going to give Universal Muay Thai a try. The good thing is that it is right around the corner from work. I'll have to take classes at 5 PM, but that works OK. I think a change might be a good thing too as I was getting a little lazy/comfortable where I was.

I will be starting in a couple weeks over there - I don't think they have any UFC guys because it's strictly a Muay Thai place, but they do have guys that compete in high-level Muay Thai tournaments so the level of the fighters is pretty decent.

Fingers crossed...

Well, it looks like I'm going to be switching gyms. I've been doing Muay Thai and boxing at the MMA Lab for almost five years now, and I've loved every minute of it. However, they cancelled their morning classes, and, the trainer I really like is moving on to open the MMA Lab in Scottsdale AZ. So, with regret, I'm leaving.

I'm going to give Universal Muay Thai a try. The good thing is that it is right around the corner from work. I'll have to take classes at 5 PM, but that works OK. I think a change might be a good thing too as I was getting a little lazy/comfortable where I was.

I will be starting in a couple weeks over there - I don't think they have any UFC guys because it's strictly a Muay Thai place, but they do have guys that compete in high-level Muay Thai tournaments so the level of the fighters is pretty decent.

Fingers crossed...
RIP kutta

UFC just announced that BJ Penn is fighting Denis Siver at UFN 112 in June -- seriously, why? Who really needs to see BJ again? Is he still a draw? It's really kind of embarrassing at this point IMO.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!

Jesus Christ. Ridiculous 
Yeah, it's bad. I've always been a Penn fan, too, but has has absolutely no business fighting anymore. I could live with one more fight after getting whooped by Nate and Rory, because he really didn't have any business fighting much bigger dudes at WW -- but Edgar III definitively proved that BJ is totally done. At least Siver, who is also pretty spent, is a more reasonable opponent than Yair Rodriguez, but it's still awful.

Coeur de Lion said:
UFC just announced that BJ Penn is fighting Denis Siver at UFN 112 in June -- seriously, why? Who really needs to see BJ again? Is he still a draw? It's really kind of embarrassing at this point IMO.
this was the original fight they signed on for. Honestly with this one, makes a ton of sense. Fed BJ to a wolf because BJ probably still wanted to fight after putting his body through a rigorous training camp. This is the UFC letting BJ have the fight he probably signed up for. 

Much, much better then Bellator. I like Rampage stating his target weight for his rematch with King Mo is 260. I will be honest and say i haven't seen much of Rampage training, so maybe that is all positive weight gain. All i have seen from Rampage in the last year are videos of him playing video games, so something tells me he isn't looking to come in at 260 with a low body fat %.

Things like this from Bellator are much worse then when they just let the older veterans fight. 

this was the original fight they signed on for. Honestly with this one, makes a ton of sense. Fed BJ to a wolf because BJ probably still wanted to fight after putting his body through a rigorous training camp. This is the UFC letting BJ have the fight he probably signed up for. 

Much, much better then Bellator. I like Rampage stating his target weight for his rematch with King Mo is 260. I will be honest and say i haven't seen much of Rampage training, so maybe that is all positive weight gain. All i have seen from Rampage in the last year are videos of him playing video games, so something tells me he isn't looking to come in at 260 with a low body fat %.

Things like this from Bellator are much worse then when they just let the older veterans fight. 
Yeah, it goes without saying that Bellator is much, much worse. Nothing will ever be worse than Kimbo vs. Dada 5000; Dada was so out of shape that his heart actually stopped beating in the freaking cage, and then Kimbo had a heart attack a few months later and actually died. Either one of those guys could legitimately have died in the cage during their fight, which would set the entire sport back years, if not decades, in terms of acceptance, legitimacy, licenses, etc. Nothing will ever top that, and Gracie vs. Shamrock really isn't too far behind.

And within the UFC itself, IMO CM Punk getting main card fights at $1/2 million a pop is far more outrageous IMO.

That said, I'll stand by my opinion that BJ Penn shouldn't be fighting in the premiere MMA organization in the world anymore. Based on the results of his last few fights, he probably shouldn't be fighting at all.

ETA: Rizin trotting out Sakuraba to fight Aoki a few years back is really awful too.

Yeah, it goes without saying that Bellator is much, much worse. Nothing will ever be worse than Kimbo vs. Dada 5000; Dada was so out of shape that his heart actually stopped beating in the freaking cage, and then Kimbo had a heart attack a few months later and actually died. Either one of those guys could legitimately have died in the cage during their fight, which would set the entire sport back years, if not decades, in terms of acceptance, legitimacy, licenses, etc. Nothing will ever top that, and Gracie vs. Shamrock really isn't too far behind.

And within the UFC itself, IMO CM Punk getting main card fights at $1/2 million a pop is far more outrageous IMO.

That said, I'll stand by my opinion that BJ Penn shouldn't be fighting in the premiere MMA organization in the world anymore. Based on the results of his last few fights, he probably shouldn't be fighting at all.

ETA: Rizin trotting out Sakuraba to fight Aoki a few years back is really awful too.
so out of curiosity since i don't know if it was talked about much in here, what should the UFC do with guys like BJ? if they don't let him fight, Bellator picks him up and BJ brings in very good ratings for Bellator for a few fights, no matter how bad it looks. And we are just kind of seeing the start of some of this, What happens in 5-7 years when other guys start getting past the sport but want to still compete?

Hopefully it will be different because money won't be such a huge motivator (looking closely at Ken Shamrock, i will watch him fight no matter how bad he gets so he can make a few more bucks) going forward, but it does seem that the issue of guys getting old and past their prime and still wanting to fight isn't going anywhere. It's proven that the names of familiar fighters fighting can make significant money, and i don't know any organization who will turn that away. Fighters want to keep fighting and make some money with still being competitive (there can only be so many gyms MMA fighters can start-up), and really who has the right to tell them they shouldn't be allowed to fight because they aren't as good as they used to be. 

It's a situation that will grow and there doesn't seem to be any clear good answer. Legends/Masters league would be fun, but not sure it is realistic. For as much of a joke as Bellator can be, they certainly have a very good business model that will continue to be successful even with them putting Dada 5000-Kimbo fights on main cards, and every single MMA organization won't turn down growing their business. So what should be done?

so out of curiosity since i don't know if it was talked about much in here, what should the UFC do with guys like BJ? 
Headline the undercard vs either other declining/washed up fighters (Siver fits that bill IMO) or young kids. UFC still gets to sell his name under their banner but they aren't pretending he is still worthy of being on the main card.

As long as my body lasts. So far, so good.
Well, I have self-diagnosed a herniated disc between my C5 and C6.

I felt it a little about 10 days ago, but you almost always feel something somewhere when doing jiu-jitsu at age 45. After training normally Monday and Tuesday, it was worse, so I sat the rest of the week. It's already better, but I'll be out until it's completely gone. Hopefully, I didn't add three months to my recovery time by rolling those two days.

Chael said he's hoping for 500k buys for Bellator PPV. Then next segment Coker says the PPV will be $49.95. Card isn't that bad with Chandler/Larkin/Gallagher included. Just a steep hill to climb going from free (where we just got Tito/Chael......and a terrible performance by Chael) to $50.

JMO Their best fight right now is Rory/Daley.....which is free the month before in London I believe. If you're having a PPV, just got to have that fight on the card. And MVP too.

Just to give you guys an idea of the level these guys are at: Cody Garbrandt sparring.. The dude towards the end of the video in black and yellow tights is my buddy.  He was a state championship wrestler and holds like a 14-8 professional record and will be fighting on AXS TV next weekend.  He can easily light up anyone I know, and Cody just lit him up here.  My buddy, in his defense, claims he got his shots in too and this was some selective editing.

Chael said he's hoping for 500k buys for Bellator PPV. Then next segment Coker says the PPV will be $49.95. Card isn't that bad with Chandler/Larkin/Gallagher included. Just a steep hill to climb going from free (where we just got Tito/Chael......and a terrible performance by Chael) to $50.

JMO Their best fight right now is Rory/Daley.....which is free the month before in London I believe. If you're having a PPV, just got to have that fight on the card. And MVP too.
You forgot Fedor.  I would pay 50 just to see him in a major promotion in the States. 

Kelvin Gastellum flagged by USADA and off UFC 212 vs. Silva. Apparently for weed. Talk about bad timing.

Just to give you guys an idea of the level these guys are at: Cody Garbrandt sparring.. The dude towards the end of the video in black and yellow tights is my buddy.  He was a state championship wrestler and holds like a 14-8 professional record and will be fighting on AXS TV next weekend.  He can easily light up anyone I know, and Cody just lit him up here.  My buddy, in his defense, claims he got his shots in too and this was some selective editing.
I used to love throwing that kick your buddy gets hit with at the end.  I was never taught it, just sort of figured it out, but I think I've heard it referred to as a 'Questionmark Kick'... it's basically thrown as a chambered front kick, then you pivot and turn it into a round house.  Used to kick people dead in the face at will when sparring back in the day (TKD)... took more pride in having control and not nailing them and seeing the look of shock on their face... but if someone thought they were better than they were or tried to go hard, they'd catch a foot pad to the mouth

I used to love throwing that kick your buddy gets hit with at the end.  I was never taught it, just sort of figured it out, but I think I've heard it referred to as a 'Questionmark Kick'... it's basically thrown as a chambered front kick, then you pivot and turn it into a round house.  Used to kick people dead in the face at will when sparring back in the day (TKD)... took more pride in having control and not nailing them and seeing the look of shock on their face... but if someone thought they were better than they were or tried to go hard, they'd catch a foot pad to the mouth
Yeah.  My friends roommate took a screen capture of that kick landing and was planning on printing it, framing it, and hanging it all over the house.

By the way - my friends name is Keith Richardson and he will be fighting on tonight's AXS card.

Kelvin Gastellum flagged by USADA and off UFC 212 vs. Silva. Apparently for weed. Talk about bad timing.

they have already removed him from the rankings too, for friggan weed....
He might be in trouble, like getting released kind of trouble, at this point -- all of the issues with missing weight and now this. The guy is a very good fighter, but the repeated lack of professionalism is really bad. How can they continue to book this guy for top of the card fights when he's proven that he can't or won't hold up his end so many times? Just awful on his part -- can't get out of his own way.

going to my first event tomorrow.  I want to play draftkings to help make it more exciting.  Any tips or picks on tomorrow's card.  It's tough fitting in the favorites under the cap.

Not sure what is going on

Only a few minutes remain for weighins and neither Rumble or DC has weighed in yet.

crazy stuff.  DC came in with a minute to go and missed weight.  Rumble looks like he missed the deadline but came in and made weight.

Users who are viewing this thread